• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Well, my i7 hits 84* when I'm on the campaign map. It's a massive drain on the CPU just clicking on armies and units. Will see if turning down low makes a difference. If not it's a big problem.

Anyone else having problems with diplomacy and agents?

I'm playing Iceni and even friendly tribes straight up refuse to trade with me. It's a complete waste, and I get spammed by tribes demanding money every turn.

I also have an agent that failed to convert and enemy champion 4 times in a row despite having a 95% success rate

Any impressions of Unlimited Video Memory On and Off? Does it improve performance or cause a massive hit? Only had a couple of hours yesterday to play the prologue so I haven't had a chance to really test it.

Herne

I just noticed the console is back. I hope cheats have been implemented as well

Yeah, I saw that. I don't know why they got rid of cheats in previous games.... though most pc games nowadays don't have them either. It's baffling. I'm a big fan of letting the player play the game in the manner they want to, whether they cheat or not.

Only in single-player, of course. Fuck cheaters in multiplayer.

Loomba

Is it possible to combine depleted units together, like drag and drop so that they merge together and replenish their numbers?

I have like 10 units with 5% health and a massive army inc.

Martian

Is it possible to combine depleted units together, like drag and drop so that they merge together and replenish their numbers?

I have like 10 units with 5% health and a massive army inc.

Used to be in older games, perhaps select the units and press M
Or drag them over each other.

If its not one of those things, it either was removed or they changed the way to do it

KorrZ

Friend of mine showed me a combination of in-game and nVidia settings that is letting me run the game pretty decently now. I'm getting 60 FPS for the most part but it fluctuates randomly.

Is anyone else finding the garrison troops completely useless to fight with? I was fighting off a group of rebels who attacked Rome (who's army consisted of just a few slingers and mobs) and even though I had their army outnumbered, better troops, and had them completely encircled - half of my infantry still routes for seemingly no reason. I still won the battle but wtf?

Benhur

Any impressions of Unlimited Video Memory On and Off? Does it improve performance or cause a massive hit? Only had a couple of hours yesterday to play the prologue so I haven't had a chance to really test it.

On my 560ti I noticed a massive improvement in textures and a bit of a performance hit. Lowering the shadows and tweaking a couple of other things helped to mitigate the performance hit and I average 32 FPS on the in-game benchmark.

Benhur

Friend of mine showed me a combination of in-game and nVidia settings that is letting me run the game pretty decently now. I'm getting 60 FPS for the most part but it fluctuates randomly.

Could you share this combination of settings? I'd like to see if the nVidia panel can improve anything.

Anyone else having problems with diplomacy and agents?

I'm playing Iceni and even friendly tribes straight up refuse to trade with me. It's a complete waste, and I get spammed by tribes demanding money every turn.

I also have an agent that failed to convert and enemy champion 4 times in a row despite having a 95% success rate

You cant convert an agent if you have the max amount of this agent already

Hystzen

1 Unit of Praetorians can eat 2 units of Elephants for breakfast and still be near full strength ...goddamn CA be nice if you balanced units at launch for once

Giran

It seems like the campaign AI has an issue dealing with settlements under rebel control. I've had this african settlement blockaded from sea by like 5 different factions at the same time in the last 20 turns but no one moved in to capture the place.

It seems like the campaign AI has an issue dealing with settlements under rebel control. I've had this african settlement blockaded from sea by like 5 different factions at the same time in the last 20 turns but no one moved in to capture the place.
Yep, I had that with rebels in Sardinia. Blockaded by Carthage for about 20 years until I (and others) defeated them!

Yeah, there is some odd logic going on in the game. Upgrading barracks increases public disorder? Really? Surely it'd be the opposite? Conflicts of culture seem to be a key cause of dis-order but there's no easy fix. Agents like Patricians help and maybe a General with the right bonus. Some buildings do. Maybe research? Still, it should'nt be too easy to fix, except for having a large army near by.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Can somebody explain to me how ships work on the campaign map? I was trying in vain to disembark my handful of units that I had at sea but they would never actually get off. Just kind of sit at the coast not doing anything when I right clicked.

F!ReW!Re

Can somebody explain to me how ships work on the campaign map? I was trying in vain to disembark my handful of units that I had at sea but they would never actually get off. Just kind of sit at the coast not doing anything when I right clicked.

You can't disembark at a rocky coast. You can only land them at a dock or at a stretch of beach.

Giran

Try doing it at a port or a beach.

Acorn

I don't know why I keep buying these games, I own every single one and still have no clue what the hell I am doing in a campaign heh.

valouris

What I have noticed is that performance is weirdly inconsistent. Sometimes I will marvel at how good the game looks and how well it runs, and later it all goes awry.

cripterion

1378226168882.jpg

This made me laugh.

Provided it's not accurate (the final screenshot is from campaign battle) but I remember being in awe when I first saw the little walkthrough of the battle, scale was immense, it was so epic and graphics were godly, and the dev was saying things would look even better at launch lol.

Martian

Would playing on a lower resolution make a difference?
I play on 1366 but I may turn it down to 1024. Would it make the game run smoother?

Anyone know why you get to a certain point where upgrading a building will add +4 squalor to your city? Is it because the city isn't big enough and I have to expand before upgrading? Or is it a permanent issue once I reach a certain size?

FACE

Banned
This made me laugh.

Provided it's not accurate (the final screenshot is from campaign battle) but I remember being in awe when I first saw the little walkthrough of the battle, scale was immense, it was so epic and graphics were godly, and the dev was saying things would look even better at launch lol.

Doesn't look like that "final" screenshot is running on max settings, but I could be wrong.

Martian

BTW I really like the fact that you can choose what unit your generals bodyguard is.
Always felt weird my Greek general was on horseback while the rest of my army was made up of hoplites

Giran

Anyone know why you get to a certain point where upgrading a building will add +4 squalor to your city? Is it because the city isn't big enough and I have to expand before upgrading? Or is it a permanent issue once I reach a certain size?

Just a mechanic to make you balance happiness, income and food in your provinces instead of just upgrading everything without a care in the world like in previous games.

Martian

Just a mechanic to make you balance happiness, income and food in your provinces instead of just upgrading everything without a care in the world like in previous games.

Well the old games (medieval 2 and Rome at least) had unhappines from squalor. Espacially late game it would get really annoying that your towns were too big and not upgradable anymore.
Unhappy populace from too many citizens... one of the more regrettable things in those games

Giran

Well the old games (medieval 2 and Rome at least) had unhappines from squalor. Espacially late game it would get really annoying that your towns were too big and not upgradable anymore.
Unhappy populace from too many citizens... one of the more regrettable things in those games

You could compensate that by increasing garrison size iirc. With the limited armies in Rome 2, that's not quite possible and it affects the whole game, not just once you've maxed out places.

DrBo42

BTW I really like the fact that you can choose what unit your generals bodyguard is.
Always felt weird my Greek general was on horseback while the rest of my army was made up of hoplites

Yeah I think that's my favorite part of the general system. I've been less angry about the garrison nonsense now that I've increased my imperium. It's just another thing to manage and be cautious about on defense of the homeland -> conquering new provinces. It works pretty well, makes spies more valuable as scouts.

cripterion

Going to restart a campaign, I really had no idea what I was doing with the city expansion and at this stage I'm pretty much just broke with ennemies left & right and general unhapiness in my towns.

F!ReW!Re

I posted about it on the last page:

The only thing I found really annoying was that most of my provinces have a very low public order rating.
I don't understand why upgrading your city/buildings give you so much squalor (public order penalty), like I have 4 buildings ready for upgrades but each of the upgrades will give me a -6 to public order PER TURN.
I mean why? It's just annoying and it forces me to keep the province bonuses on that "bread and games" mode where it will increase public order/happiness.

It's really irritating at the moment though. Conquered all of Britain and now look to expend into mainland europe but my Britania province (London, etc) has major public disorder per turn. Have to keep it on "bread and games" edict to even get it to equalize.

cripterion

This one year per turn is brutal, I feel like the generals die too quickly, had a good one that had lots of xp just die of old age, and the other after that.... sigh.

And the size of your city doesn't matter? That's pretty bullshit. If there were ways to solve these kind of issues, I wouldn't care, but just throwing an obstacle in your way and telling you to deal with it is pretty shitty. Especially when I still feel like I'm still fairly early into my campaign.

Squalor's always the thing the completely killed my interest in RTW once I got to a certain size.

I posted about it on the last page:

It's really irritating at the moment though. Conquered all of Britain and now look to expend into mainland europe but my Britania province (London, etc) has major public disorder per turn. Have to keep it on "bread and games" edict to even get it to equalize.

Sorry, must've missed it. I completely agree, it's pretty shitty.

Hystzen

This one year per turn is brutal, I feel like the generals die too quickly, had a good one that had lots of xp just die of old age, and the other after that.... sigh.

Something I hated about Shogun2 Generals rarely died of old age or illness so i embrace generals dying quickly

Got this on Carthage, Olbia and Syracuse. Everyone just idle and nobody attacks. I can't either except if I don't wage war to every unit who's currently on siege.

Regarding squalor: too many buildings gives you penalties on squalor. Want to upgrade your port? Squalor. Want to upgrade your barracks? Squalor. Everything squalor.
Thank god city levies are enough to crush them rebels.

On a side note: AI takes forever before ending turns.

Giran

I had this one veteran who got 90+ bonus xp to all my troops in the army per turn. I was heartbroken when he died. But at least everyone was rank 7-9 by that point.

And the size of your city doesn't matter? That's pretty bullshit. If there were ways to solve these kind of issues, I wouldn't care, but just throwing an obstacle in your way and telling you to deal with it is pretty shitty. Especially when I still feel like I'm still fairly early into my campaign.

Squalor's always the thing the completely killed my interest in RTW once I got to a certain size.

But there are ways to solve them. You just have to build order increasing structures next to food/money increasing ones so you don't end up in the negative.

Top Bottom