• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Huh, it just hit me how many lords they'll need for all those appointments in the Elven Council. Their economy will have to be mighty indeed to support it.

Gonna be weird, considering they're almost-but-not-quite a horde faction, which always struggle economically.

They're actually not really a horde faction, they can capture everything, they just can't build a whole lot after capturing, but they'll keep getting steady income, not mostly rely on sacking and raiding like Chaos and Beastmen. Also just like the Empire, you don't necessarily need to put a lord in every seat, just the ones that are relevant to you at the time, and I assume you can switch them every turn if need be. And you can make small armies just for that purpose too and then use these to garrison on your lines while your main armies are away.

Lorcain

Are there high elves in warhammer
The High Elves in Warhammer lore are pretty cool, with great hero classes to draw from. They're like high fantasy elves amped up to 10000, with a good amount of badass thrown in. There's a lot they could do with a high elf army roster.

I've always loved the art design for warhammer high elves. It's a cool combo of elegant mixed with "I'm a badass don't fuck with me".
FcoMPfm.jpg

hwxE8D9.jpg

N3CzxeR.jpg

karnage10

Banned
Are there high elves in warhammer

currently the base game has 4 races:
- empire
- vampire counts
- greenskins
- dwarves
There are DLC for:
- chaos warriors
- beastmen
- wood elves ( releasing in december)

we also know that february will have brettonia as a free faction and that wood elves will be the last major DLC for this game.
Rumors are that the first stand-alone expansion will have the following factions
- high elves
- dark elves
- lizardmen
- skaven
and could possibly add naval battles.
Rumors are that the 3rd stand alone expansion will have 4 factions for the chaos daemons.
In a datamine tomb kings, chaos dwarves and ogre kingdoms are planned to be added.
All total warhammer games are supposed to "combine" their maps if you own more then one.

I don't know, seems way too small to the west. The expansion is supposed to be a standalone, meaning you wouldn't have access to all of the current map. If you played only on the western map, there wouldn't be a whole lot to do.

I think it's more likely they'll have a scale change when you cross the sea/when you play the 2nd expansion alone, with the areas being larger and having a bunch of minor settlements and what not instead. Gives more space and stuff. Similar to the Beastmen and upcoming Wood elf mini campaigns which take place in a small area on the map, but are fairly large.

Also not sure what they're going to do with the Skaven but that should be pretty interesting.

This is gonna be amazing. The Wood Elves sound like how I normally build up my empires. Centralized production in the homeland while everything else gets economic and defensive buildings. When I was Vampire Counts it was a slog for enemies to get at me. Even a WAAAGH would take so much attrition and have to siege every settlement.

I dont think the expansion should have a stand alone campaign map. let me have a bigger experience and go through the campaign with everything from base and the new game. I think its a shame you get a smaller secluded area that splits up the game like that.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
A lot of people are claiming that the first expansion is due out next summer. Is there anything official on this or is it pure speculation because CA usually release their expansions not earlier than 18 months after the base game launches?

I don't know, seems way too small to the west. The expansion is supposed to be a standalone, meaning you wouldn't have access to all of the current map. If you played only on the western map, there wouldn't be a whole lot to do.

I think it's more likely they'll have a scale change when you cross the sea/when you play the 2nd expansion alone, with the areas being larger and having a bunch of minor settlements and what not instead. Gives more space and stuff. Similar to the Beastmen and upcoming Wood elf mini campaigns which take place in a small area on the map, but are fairly large.

Also not sure what they're going to do with the Skaven but that should be pretty interesting.

it should be based on lore, something i'm not an expert

maybe proportions are off and/or minor settlements are omitted

I dont think the expansion should have a stand alone campaign map. let me have a bigger experience and go through the campaign with everything from base and the new game. I think its a shame you get a smaller secluded area that splits up the game like that.

Standalone doesn't mean it only has the western stuff, just that you can use the game with only the expansion, which means you wouldn't have access to the old lands if you did.

They said if you own both games, you'll be able to have everything at once. I assume they'll add boats and stuff. Just that they could split the map in 2, once you cross halfway into the sea, it changes to the western lands(2nd expansion), and the scale is different than the current world map, so you have more stuff in there. Maybe you can have a full world map that shows a simplified version of the western stuff so you can get a global view of who owns what and stuff.

But since it's a standalone, the western stuff needs to be able to exist on its own, and with the "realistic scale" it seems kinda meh like shown on that mockup.

And no date has been confirmed for the expansion. Summer sounds like a decent guess though, that or spring.

This is gonna be amazing. The Wood Elves sound like how I normally build up my empires. Centralized production in the homeland while everything else gets economic and defensive buildings. When I was Vampire Counts it was a slog for enemies to get at me. Even a WAAAGH would take so much attrition and have to siege every settlement.

It will be interesting to see what people do with them.

karnage10

Banned
someone tried to fill the map for the first big expansion

I feel the first expansion won't expand the map southward nor eastward. CA said they wanted the game standalone so it makes sense the map is "only" the new world. The other regions will probably be DLC. I also feel that CA will expand northward, making the chaos wastes much bigger so that the deamons of chaos can have a stand alone campaign.
Do the dlc mini-campaigns have coop?

Does the grand campaign coop work just like in Shogun2/Rome2/Attila?

Right now the beastmen mini-campaign does NOT have co-op. the wood elves mini- campaign is currently unknown.
I haven't played co-op yet but it is supposedly like the previous games.

the first expansion will probably "only" have the new world (and it will probably be bigger then the map shown or at least with far more cities). According to CA if you own both games the maps will be joined and you can play on the biggest total war map to date. Now the question is how will CA approach this, will the map just expand or will there be zones like in empire total war?

A lot of people are claiming that the first expansion is due out next summer. Is there anything official on this or is it pure speculation because CA usually release their expansions not earlier than 18 months after the base game launches?
The reason people claim that the 1st expansion will come next summer is due to 2 reasons:
1st is that the FLC announced ends near the beginning of 2017 (right now the plans shows FLC/DLC up to march/april)
2nd the team that made total warhammer should have started making the expansion when warhammer was gold, currently CA has 2 teams working in warhammer total war: 1 is doing the DLC and the other is doing the main games.

karnage10

Banned
according to reddit the stream mentioned 2 new additions to the beastmen DLC:
- harpies
- LL morghul (full LL not a reskin like todbringer with quests and starts in nordland)

according to reddit the stream mentioned 2 new additions to the beastmen DLC:
- harpies
- LL morghul (full LL not a reskin like todbringer with quests and starts in nordland)

Oh, awesome.Beastmen stay winning.

Their method of adding stuff to other DLCs with every new release is weird... but welcomed.

karnage10

Banned
Oh, awesome.Beastmen stay winning.

Their method of adding stuff to other DLCs with every new release is weird... but welcomed.

They had already done it with attila DLC - longbeards received a few units a patch or 2 after they were released.
I feel CA is making their games as they go with very "little" planing which is why they probably "only" patch the game once a month.

karnage10

Banned
For those that don't follow the game closely, CA released a video of 13mins showing how the wood elves play in the campaign map.
It "explains" the tech tree, the offices, shows the new wood elves factions, shows the skills for orion and a few lords and shows how amber works.

Hrm... I just realised my Very Hard campaign with Dwarves is impossible (or at least, very annoying) to complete because of the Grudge mechanic. You see, I need to raid an area West of Karak Kadrin, Bechev or w/e... but it was razed dozens of turns ago and the entire region has been scorched by Chaos. So it's impossible to complete. And because it is severity 10 now, I cannot achieve a Short (<10 grudge severity) or Long Victory (no grudges).

In short, I'm begrudingly defeated...

Grudges in general have been the lowpoint of the game, due to how unevenly they are applied. Enemy hero spam (necessitation assassinations) and enemy assaults (necessitating raids) are my bane; they're annoying rather than engaging. The other grudges--occupy X or attack Y are bothersome. The only bright side is that most grudge types clear when the targetted faction is eliminated--though unfortunately, the raiding grudge is not one of them.

karnage10

Banned
Hrm... I just realised my Very Hard campaign with Dwarves is impossible (or at least, very annoying) to complete because of the Grudge mechanic. You see, I need to raid an area West of Karak Kadrin, Bechev or w/e... but it was razed dozens of turns ago and the entire region has been scorched by Chaos. So it's impossible to complete. And because it is severity 10 now, I cannot achieve a Short (<10 grudge severity) or Long Victory (no grudges).

In short, I'm begrudingly defeated...

Grudges in general have been the lowpoint of the game, due to how unevenly they are applied. Enemy hero spam (necessitation assassinations) and enemy assaults (necessitating raids) are my bane; they're annoying rather than engaging. The other grudges--occupy X or attack Y are bothersome. The only bright side is that most grudge types clear when the targetted faction is eliminated--though unfortunately, the raiding grudge is not one of them.

Raiding the wasted province doesn't work?

Grudges definitely need a fix/revamp
The last time i played dwarves raiding an empty province worked (which was 1 patch ago), luckily for me with clan anrgund i don't have such a grudge however 1 quest item was bugged and i couldn't get it.
I'm eagerly waiting for the patch notes that come with the wood elves. I wish CA did a diary like paradox saying what they were changing instead of just releasing the patch notes all at once.

Alright, I have discovered the secret that makes Dwarves on Very Hard work: the High King's crown or w/e (quest helm), which gives a factionwide +5 order boost. Suddenly order is in the green rather than declining into rebellions. It has made my new attempt go rather swimmingly.

The Greenskins are nearly vanquished; the Western Dwarves are being unified; nearly all of the Eastern and Southern lands are in my iron grip; my grudges are more or less in check; and I have gold and armies aplenty, to stand against the Chaos, Norsca, and Beastmen hordes. Life is good and victory is all but assured, just in time for the Wood Elves.
The last time i played dwarves raiding an empty province worked (which was 1 patch ago), luckily for me with clan anrgund i don't have such a grudge however 1 quest item was bugged and i couldn't get it.
I'm eagerly waiting for the patch notes that come with the wood elves. I wish CA did a diary like paradox saying what they were changing instead of just releasing the patch notes all at once.

I didn't see the option to raid at all.

One of us definitely got bugged.

karnage10

Banned
Alright, I have discovered the secret that makes Dwarves on Very Hard work: the High King's crown or w/e (quest helm), which gives a factionwide +5 order boost. Suddenly order is in the green rather than declining into rebellions. It has made my new attempt go rather swimmingly.

The Greenskins are nearly vanquished; the Western Dwarves are being unified; nearly all of the Eastern and Southern lands are in my iron grip; my grudges are more or less in check; and I have gold and armies aplenty, to stand against the Chaos, Norsca, and Beastmen hordes. Life is good and victory is all but assured, just in time for the Wood Elves.

I didn't see the option to raid at all.

One of us definitely got bugged.

Have you tried raiding the empty province (raiding is an army stance so even if the province belongs to no one you should be able to raid it)?
If the grudge says sack/raze that will be a problem.

Palmer_v1

Have you tried raiding the empty province (raiding is an army stance so even if the province belongs to no one you should be able to raid it)?

If it was sack/raze, it shold have cancelled the grudge once it became impossible to fulfill. Same for when they want you to kill X hero, but someone else does it first.

I think the issue is there's no ownership attributed to that kind of grudge (raid province) so there are no conditions for aborting the task. It seems like a big oversight. Like a lot of the grudges...

There's no option to take raiding stance in the empty province. I guess I could have tried entering raiding stance beforehand to see if that worked, but eh.

Those saves are long gone now.

karnage10

Banned
I think the issue is there's no ownership attributed to that kind of grudge (raid province) so there are no conditions for aborting the task. It seems like a big oversight. Like a lot of the grudges...

There's no option to take raiding stance in the empty province. I guess I could have tried entering raiding stance beforehand to see if that worked, but eh.

Those saves are long gone now.
You got bugged. I tried in one of my current save games ( vanilla, latest patch with VC) and managed to enter raiding stance inside a razed province/region.
Raiding only needs the movement points, it doesn't matter where you are.

Chaos can be absolutely brutal if you're not there to head them off right at the beginning. It's not even that their amassed armies are so bad so much as the Warherds they bring with them--they slip through everything and cause destruction where you can least afford it.

As Dwarves, I nearly lost Mount Gunbad, the single most valuable settlement in the game. At about 5k gold per turn, it outperforms any other gold settlement nearly twofold; it is essentially the difference between a healthy, empire-wide growth, and turn-to-turn subsistence.
What legendary hero will you first choose for the wood elves when they come out?
I might pick Orion first.

Durthu! It can only be Durthu.

Just look at him.
700px-Durthu_Skill.png

karnage10

Banned
What legendary hero will you first choose for the wood elves when they come out?
I might pick Orion first.

i'm divided, durthu looks amazing especially for a caster LL however from my understanding he would need to use amber to recruit elves units. I know very little about the WE roster but from what i seen the treemen seem to have a "limited" roster. Taking that into consideration it might be more fun to start as orion with a wood elves army and complement it with a few treemen units.

i'm divided, durthu looks amazing especially for a caster LL however from my understanding he would need to use amber to recruit elves units. I know very little about the WE roster but from what i seen the treemen seem to have a "limited" roster. Taking that into consideration it might be more fun to start as orion with a wood elves army and complement it with a few treemen units.

It might only be high-tier Elven units, which would make more sense to me given how rare Amber is. Though I want to say I've read both kind of restrictions implied--it's kind of confusing.

Both have to use ember to recruit a unit that's not in their roster right?

I'm definitely starting with orion, I'm craving a ranged glass cannon army

Mathi

Guys, I have a problem with my Greenskins campaign. And by problem I mean I probably just don't understand the game mechanics, so hopefully someone can explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

I destroyed the orc tribes in the south and got the Bloody Handz to confederate with me, so I could get Wurrzag as the leader of my third army. His special effect however, -50% upkeep for savage orcs, doesn't seem to be working. In fact, his upkeep cost for all savage orcs is somehow increased by 30%? I could understand if the effect only works in Wurrzag's own campaign, but why is the upkeep cost increased? Grimgor and Azhag can recruit savage orcs without increased upkeep.

http://i.imgur.com/kiVQzfS.jpg

And since I'm already here, there is another thing I was wondering about. In my Dwarf and Vampire campaigns, there were a lot of buildings, hero talents and research options that would increase unit xp, up to the point where I could recruit new units that already had the highest rank possible. That doesn't seem to be possible with the orks, so far I've only managed to get it up to rank 3, unless there is also something I am missing?

karnage10

Banned
Guys, I have a problem with my Greenskins campaign. And by problem I mean I probably just don't understand the game mechanics, so hopefully someone can explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

I destroyed the orc tribes in the south and got the Bloody Handz to confederate with me, so I could get Wurrzag as the leader of my third army. His special effect however, -50% upkeep for savage orcs, doesn't seem to be working. In fact, his upkeep cost for all savage orcs is somehow increased by 30%? I could understand if the effect only works in Wurrzag's own campaign, but why is the upkeep cost increased? Grimgor and Azhag can recruit savage orcs without increased upkeep.

http://i.imgur.com/kiVQzfS.jpg

And since I'm already here, there is another thing I was wondering about. In my Dwarf and Vampire campaigns, there were a lot of buildings, hero talents and research options that would increase unit xp, up to the point where I could recruit new units that already had the highest rank possible. That doesn't seem to be possible with the orks, so far I've only managed to get it up to rank 3, unless there is also something I am missing?

The wurzzag bonus only works if you choose him as your starting LL.
No idea why upkeep costs increase. From memory the only time upkeep costs increase are from recruiting new armies, evens or companion/retinue/traits. Check his traits and retinue, maybe he has something that increases the upkeep.
From my knowledge it's harder to recruit higher experience troops with GS (there are special buildings that increase their XP) however if you leave an army raiding you will get a waagh army (that you can command in battle) which means that each of your armies is effectively 2.

Chaos has finally fallen. Now the victory march begins. The long march to the North begins.

Very Hard is a really nice difficulty, giving the AI just enough of an edge to stay competitive all game. Like, it doesn't just feel like busywork after Chaos has fallen--there's still a host of competitive factions at play, that can rebound at any time. And boy, does Chaos itself put up a fight now...

Nordicus

Started an Empire playthrough after finishing a long Greenskin campaign on Normal. Bumped the difficulty up to hard because that campaign really got easy towards the end. As a relative newcomer to this series, ouch at the difficulty bump

I've been just barely surviving by the skin of my teeth. If it isn't the greedy neighboring human factions, it's the greenskins, the beastmen, or the vampires.

The attacks keep on coming from all sides and I've not had money to put on developing higher tier troops at all. Very rarely had one full province under control.

One time, because Skarsnik and his Waagh kept repeatedly sacking my smaller settlements, with a force so plentiful and advanced that I had no chance of taking it on, I had to sneak roughly 26 low tier units behind Skarsnik's back and destroy his 3 well-developed cities to demolish his supply line. He only started caring once I destroyed his 2nd and the bankruptcy tore down his Waagh. That was too late because he was much too weak to risk tunneling under me to save the 3rd city.

BUT, it seems that being the world's punching bag who's loyal to his fellow humans, pays off. Other countries just can't wait to confederate with me for fighting whatever is Public Enemy #1, and despite me abusing some of those new cities by taxing them dry, not caring about rebellions, not defending them against vampire factions, I still come ahead. And now with Skarsnik out I can start taking care of the undead that have settled in the cities that the greenskins have razed.

Nordicus

I never thought the Beastmen were much of a threat in the grand campaign. I usually go after them when they show up on my lands.
Sure in the end the army wasn't much, but they struck very early on when I was just barely recovering from the previous Skullsmasherz invasion, and when I didn't have the unit quality nor budget for quantity to take on Kazrak or his minotaur unit simultaneously. I like barely got like a basic tier 2 barracks and 2-3 cities.

Mathi

looks bugged, maybe there's a conflict with a trait?
Yeah, it looks like a bug. He also has an item that should decrease savage orc recruitment cost by 15% and that's not working either. Oh well, I'm just playing on normal difficulty, so it's not like that stuff matters much.

Sure in the end the army wasn't much, but they struck very early on when I was just barely recovering from the previous Skullsmasherz invasion, and when I didn't have the unit quality nor budget for quantity to take on Kazrak or his minotaur unit simultaneously. I like barely got like a basic tier 2 barracks and 2-3 cities.

That sounds rough.

Yeah, it looks like a bug. He also has an item that should decrease savage orc recruitment cost by 15% and that's not working either. Oh well, I'm just playing on normal difficulty, so it's not like that stuff matters much.

karnage is right though, it doesn't work if Wurrzag is not your faction leader

sucks if you spent points for the buffs

Both have to use ember to recruit a unit that's not in their roster right?

I'm definitely starting with orion, I'm craving a ranged glass cannon army

From the looks of it during one of their campaign let's play thing, they showed that you could recruit Dryads(low tier tree units) as Orion without spending Amber. Wether or not that's final, we don't know, but the description on Steam seemed to imply it was only for the high tier units, there just wasn't really a confirmation before that(and this isn't a confirmation, just a possibility, test builds are for testing).

Most likely you'll only need to use Amber for the higher tier stuff(like say 4 and 5, assuming it uses a 5tier progression, maybe 3 too), so you could still have elves with Durthu. It'd be hard to balance a tree only army because it'd either be too monotonous(not enough units on the tree side really and a lot are super expensive so it'd be dryads with 1 or 2 good units) or too OP if they made some heavy cost reductions cause treemen are high tiers and stuff.

Still Orion gets all that sweet ranged buffs line in his talents to make your archers stupid, so that's definitely something.

Personally think I'll be going Orion full archer(well maybe a couple of these stag riding cav, they look funny, and obviously at least 1 caster for fancy spells). Sieges are gonna be boring as hell considering how dumb the AI is though, just stack all the archer on one point and rain down death on the walls constantly for 5mins until the AI is tired of sending all his army on the walls 1 by 1.

Top Bottom