• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Yeah chasing stuff really sucks, there's no good way to catch up to them. Even as the elves in Athel Loren I was chasing some orc army around that had Under Tunneled or whatever into my area. The best method is to use your agents to block army but I don't know. I don't want to contribute to agent spam, I have morals.

I really, really want to give this a try now its been patched and additional races added in. But the base game even on sale is £30, and then the DLC comes to another £48 which is utterly ridiculous.

Will there ever be a complete version?

Not in a long time. We are still missing High Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen, Ogres, Tomb Kings(may not come), plus Chaos has several armies with Gods and Daemons and such.

The two elven armies, Skaven and Lizardmen will be the priority, I think.

But it doesn't really matter. The base game is great, and every new army is quite distinct and wuill require a ton of new content.

Well it's happening when playing as wood elves so nope not fixed.

Weird, hadn't run into it yet. There's a mod that lets you move faster in regions you own that might be helpful. WEs can also get 15% campaign movespeed iirc, as Orion at least, by building one of the special building that gives 5% then assigning a lord to it which gives another 10%(which I think is campaign wide, not entirely sure).

My Dwarf campaign is stalling out. I have all of the Silver Road, but anything beyond that and it is just influx. I gain a territory here, I lose one there. i haven't made any progress in like 20 turns.

How are the wood elves? Worth 20? I love fantasy elves... but that's a little bit pricey.

My Dwarf campaign is stalling out. I have all of the Silver Road, but anything beyond that and it is just influx. I gain a territory here, I lose one there. i haven't made any progress in like 20 turns.

How are the wood elves? Worth 20? I love fantasy elves... but that's a little bit pricey.
It's really good. Also, there is hidden lord and 'faction' if you beat the mini-campaign.

karnage10

Banned
I just bought the core game since it's 25% off on Steam. Which of the DLCs are essential?

I intend to play Empire for now. I hear that the Grim and Grave DLC is important to the Empire as it adds RoR.
Personally i feel that the DLC are not essential, IMO you should play as empire without DLC and if you ever feel playing with empire/VC again then buying the DLC will make you have more content to explore.
If you are a total war veteran that plays 100s of hours then the DLC are worth buying.

It's really good. Also, there is hidden lord and 'faction' if you beat the mini-campaign.
could you spoiler tag what we get when we win? I think i have a guess due to the new model.

I wouldn't call any of the DLCs essential either, but they're absolutely up to the standard of the non-DLC factions. (Not sure about the Lord packs) And yeah... the blood DLC is kind of fun, if stupid.

If you think you'll be playing through Total Warhammer a lot, go for it. But at the same time, don't feel rushed into buying them. The base game has a lot to do, with more added every patch.

I like them. Interesting faction, though it's a tough change from standard factions; and in fact, Beastmen and Chaos seemed more straightforward than WE's hybrid approach. Also, WE's design is absolutely beautiful--I dunno if it's just the Elf factor, but the art and models seem a step up from everything else.

For Dwarfs, you want Mount Gunbad, NE of Silver Road. Get it to level 3 and reap the profits. Use all that money to get a second army up and running and expand from there, either taking the rest of the North or moving Southward into Greenskin territory.

Just note that Chaos will absolutely crush the Northern mountains if you're not ready, and the Greenskins aren't going to suddenly pacify during Archaeon's invasion. It's a lot of juggling. You don't want to deal with rebellions during the Chaos invasion so make sure your territories are all locked down.

Personally i feel that the DLC are not essential, IMO you should play as empire without DLC and if you ever feel playing with empire/VC again then buying the DLC will make you have more content to explore.
If you are a total war veteran that plays 100s of hours then the DLC are worth buying.

could you spoiler tag what we get when we win? I think i have a guess due to the new model.

The Red Duke and Mousillon (Vampire Counts)

I'm going to have to swallow my pride and either play on Normal/Hard or use Orion. I'm terrible in combat with the Elves, even with mighty Durthu on my side, and alliances are next to impossible.

I wanted an entmoot so bad, but oh well.
Did they add anything new to the list?
Recently? No.

It just seems like they've stepped up the size of all the DLCs they're releasing. Beastmen vs. Wood Elves, the latter made much more sweeping changes, particularly keeping in mind your spoiler above. Regiments of Renown 1 vs 2, the second one added two splinter factions rather than just LLs. And of course they extended the free DLC roadmap and are doubling down on Bretonnia, which pushed it back.

It makes me super excited to see what an actual expansion would look like, now.

I think I'm going to have to give up on my mini campaign with Durthu, I'm nearing turn 60 and I still only have one army with mostly tier 1 and 2 units, I only have 2 settlements and there's no one around me I could attack easily to raze. I was battling it out with another big elven faction at around turn 35-40 or so but then a stack of strong beastmen spawned for whatever reason so I had to go deal with them and in the time it took to chase them down and kill them, the elf faction retook the settlement I had taken from them as well as like 2 others from minor factions and became way too strong so I had to make peace with them. Now I'm surrounded by 2 large elven factions(strength rank 1 and 2) and some bretonnians to the north(rank5). I might try to head through the mountains and kill me some orcs, I scouted some over there, maybe if I raze all their stuff I'll be able to buy a second army and finally start on smacking down some elves.

The only positive is you get pretty crazy army bonuses with Durthu(and also with Orion really) if you spec in both army lines instead of your own personnal stuff, so even though my army is tier 1ish, it does pretty well. I also finished Durthu's quest so that's something, even though it cost me 90% of my army, that was a tough fight.

I'm going to have to swallow my pride and either play on Normal/Hard or use Orion. I'm terrible in combat with the Elves, even with mighty Durthu on my side, and alliances are next to impossible.

I wanted an entmoot so bad, but oh well.

Recently? No.

It just seems like they've stepped up the size of all the DLCs they're releasing. Beastmen vs. Wood Elves, the latter made much more sweeping changes, particularly keeping in mind your spoiler above. Regiments of Renown 1 vs 2, the second one added two splinter factions rather than just LLs. And of course they extended the free DLC roadmap and are doubling down on Bretonnia, which pushed it back.

It makes me super excited to see what an actual expansion would look like, now.

Same here. I like what I see in the Wood Elves dlc and hope we get something bigger for the other elven races. They might add ship combat for a start.

ElyrionX

Anyone else running this in window mode? I started playing this yesterday and window mode works as expected with the windows task bar only appearing if I click offscreen and disappearing when I am in game.

But when I exit the game and re-enter, the game would launch with the task bar taking over part of my main monitor where the game is running. Only way to fix is to go into the graphics option setting and disable and reenable window mode which is kind of annoying to have to do every time I start up the game.

Anyone else running this in window mode? I started playing this yesterday and window mode works as expected with the windows task bar only appearing if I click offscreen and disappearing when I am in game.

But when I exit the game and re-enter, the game would launch with the task bar taking over part of my main monitor where the game is running. Only way to fix is to go into the graphics option setting and disable and reenable window mode which is kind of annoying to have to do every time I start up the game.
This seems like a bug or something. I just tried it and it didn't happen with me.

4Tran

Same here. I like what I see in the Wood Elves dlc and hope we get something bigger for the other elven races. They might add ship combat for a start.
Creative Assembly has said that there will be stand alone games that can combine to create a massive grand campaign. The next of these should feature the other Elves and all of the territories they control, and probably the Lizardmen as well. I suspect that there won't be any naval combat at all though.

completed the first grand campaign with WE

on normal, just to familiarize with the new mechanics

last battle is really fun and i don't know why they didn't implement something like that for every faction

Is any of the DLC not worth buying, or is it all pretty good?

the chaos one for me, i dislike horde mechanics unless they're a little more nuanced (like beastmen)

If both you and the enemy has high ground, will the enemy ever attack if you just sit back?

anecdotal but

if you are attacking they don't charge, they adjust

if you are defending, they usually charge. if you're hidden they send some scouts/cavalry to survey the map

karnage10

Banned
The Red Duke and Mousillon (Vampire Counts)
thanks!

completed the first grand campaign with WE

on normal, just to familiarize with the new mechanics

last battle is really fun and i don't know why they didn't implement something like that for every faction
CA made the last battle with the beastmen DLC so only beastmen and wood elves have a final battle. I hope CA goes to the "old" factions and revamps them a bit with the release of the "old world edition"

It's jarring completing a campaign es. as the empire fighting a weakened stack of chaos in a battle that you autoresolve

Gimme a final showdown against a large army with LLs of your faction (es. Volkmar with a bunch of psyched up flagellants) as reinforcements

So it seems my campaign might not be entirely gone just yet with Durthu. I went into the mountains as my last ditch effort to find some gold, and oh dear did I find some gold. The orcs up there were just coming back from what looked a failed raid on Bret lands so they had a bunch of wounded armies, I cut them off and killed most of them, then started razing everything. So much gold, best one was like 49k from one of their big fort. Then I rebuilt them with a 2nd cheap army I made with my new found gold, and started installing the outposts stuff. The casualty replacement one is stupidly strong, along with tech tree and one point in replenishment in the skill tree I basically heal my whole army like 60% per turn, so I can just keep razing and repopulating without almost any downtime. And once you're done with the region, you can destroy it and build the faction wide ones instead in one turn and like 100g, it's great.

I also like how efficient secondary armies are for Durthu, Ancient Treemen, the tree lords have really powerful army bonuses for other treekins(20%damage reduction and 10%weapon strength), combined with the basic melee tree buffs and 1pt in Lifebloom to get map wide constant small heals and you get a really potent tree army at very low cost(mostly dryads, a few treekins and a treeman, and maybe 2-3 gladeguards with starfire to take out annoying big stuff).

I guess I was too focused on the traditional campaign system of conquering stuff and building a steady income, when really the faction seems to be stronger played as a horde with a few buildings.

Research and skills are real gamechangers for the Wood Elves. Skilled lords and amber research and essential in a way that it just isn't for other factions.

CA has done it again and delivered a wholly unique faction.

And yeah, I hope they do a revision of the pre-Beastmen factions at some point to bring them in line with the newer stuff. The quest objectives, quest battles, and victory conditions all stand to be improved. And especially, a final battle for each one would be superb.

ElyrionX

Ok, I am seeing some strange bugs regarding my income levels and heroes. I have a hero embedded within one of my garrisoned army and when I move the hero out of the settlement, my income goes up. And then I move another hero out of another settlement, my income falls. When I move that second hero back into the settlement to embed in the army, my income doesn't go back to the original level but takes another fall.

Ok, I am seeing some strange bugs regarding my income levels and heroes. I have a hero embedded within one of my garrisoned army and when I move the hero out of the settlement, my income goes up. And then I move another hero out of another settlement, my income falls. When I move that second hero back into the settlement to embed in the army, my income doesn't go back to the original level but takes another fall.

Did you check the heroes traits? Sometimes they have traits that lowers or raises the income.

Huh, I think I misunderstood the Seasons of Revelation reward. Legit spoilers for completing it:
Red Prince & Mousillon aren't a playable faction--they're just added to custom games, it seems. A bummer!

I did it, finished the mini campaign. Amazing how I went from thinking I'd have to restart on turn 80ish to dominating most of the map 30turns later. These traitor wood elves even tried to backstab me once I got too strong only to fail miserably and I ended up controlling almost the entire map, with 7armies running around. The last fight was actually kinda disapointing though, very easy. Durthu's quest second fight was way harder, although I guess by the last fight I had like 40settlements or whatever with the +1%weaponstrength faction wide buff so the stats were probably pretty stupid. Had some pretty epic fights too which doesn't happen every campaign but a few times the elves ganged up on my weaker armies and I had to grind them down in bloody fights, got 2 heroic victories. Life casters are pretty amazing with even just lifebloom and the basic poop aoe.

Stevey

Decided to try the Beastmen mini campaign before I properly tackle Wood Elves.
Finished it this time, was going to go for Ultimate Victory, but decided against it.

DrSlek

I'm finding Wood Elves very difficult to play. Your economy is heavily reliant upon trade, but you can't trade with non-wood elf factions by default. You need to appoint a trade overseer to be able to trade with other factions. I've yet to find region I can conquer that I can actually build useful buildings on.
If your outpost of city is attacked, you don't get a city battle with walls you can defend (even if you built walls at that location). You get a forest battle.

Bought the wood elves.

They're pretty cool. Haven messed with them to much, but the eagle archers are neat

I'm finding Wood Elves very difficult to play. Your economy is heavily reliant upon trade, but you can't trade with non-wood elf factions by default. You need to appoint a trade overseer to be able to trade with other factions. I've yet to find region I can conquer that I can actually build useful buildings on.
If your outpost of city is attacked, you don't get a city battle with walls you can defend (even if you built walls at that location). You get a forest battle.

Yea, it's a very different play style. While I have been successful in my two campaigns both solo and co-op I've played, the amber causes some significant issues. You really can't upgrade your Oak or bases in a meaningful way as amber can quickly be lost when any ally gets snuffed, out, decides to stop being your ally or else wise. Probably going to be needing a mod to adjust amber stuff and make maybe buildings less reliant on it? But give you less as a result as well. I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to work too well currently. Too easily abused.

ElyrionX

I don't quite get this game yet.

I am playing Empire and already at turn 130 or so. Archaeon just showed up and I only have Reikland province and another small neighbouring settlement. I only have enough money to upkeep two full army stacks which are currently split across three armies that are perpetually stationed in my settlements. If I leave my settlements unguarded and go out to try to conquer shit, the default garrisons will get smashed by those Greenskins or Skaeland assholes which sets me back a lot. So what do I do now?

I am playing Empire and already at turn 130 or so. Archaeon just showed up and I only have Reikland province and another small neighbouring settlement. I only have enough money to upkeep two full army stacks which are currently split across three armies that are perpetually stationed in my settlements. If I leave my settlements unguarded and go out to try to conquer shit, the default garrisons will get smashed by those Greenskins or Skaeland assholes which sets me back a lot. So what do I do now?
Did you get the upgrades for the settlements that allows them to have more troops?

Are you in alliances with everyone else? (The Shield of Civilization trait is added to "civilized" factions during Archaeon's appearance and makes alliances easy, FYI) If not, do so immediately; establish trade routes, confirm alliances, and direct your allies' armies (from the diplomacy screen) to attack Chaos' invading stacks--and make sure the command sticks. It is critical that you start hitting Chaos with a united front ASAP. The extra trade money should help you muster a larger army.

Depending on how strong everyone else is, they might be able to weaken Chaos enough for you to drive them back. But it is critical that you wipe out both Chaos and their Warherds in one go, or else Archaeon & co. will return after a brief absence to wreak even more havok. And this time, everyone will be even less prepared.

Now, between Norsca and the Greenskins, if you can redirect any allies too far away to realistically hit Chaos into their armies, you can (hopefully) keep them busy in the meantime. As much as you might want to, you cannot realistically engage them without giving Chaos time to build momentum, which is worse.

Like, you're in a tight spot, but you'll almost certainly have to intervene if you want to wipe Chaos out; sacrifices have to be made. And once those alliances fade, you're going to be in an even tougher spot; Norsca will quickly offer peace, but everyone else will be eyeing the remaining lands for themselves. Plan out an expansion, because the post-Chaos peace will not last.

Empire is really challenging as far as the Chaos invasion is concerned. They're both at the brunt of the attack, and the key to defeating them.

karnage10

Banned

Your garrison when upgraded should be enough to beat 1 army from skaeling/varg, if you play well you can probably beat 2-3 armies.
You should try to get marienburg (the port gives a lot of money) or expand towards bretonnia (with the wood elves patch i'm not sure if this is still a good idea).
You should also get another province from which to recruit troops, reikland is best as a money maker province because altdorf boost income buildings.

So in 130 turns you didn't confederate with anyone?

You should SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS

Wood Elf AI is savage. They just up and conquer large swathes of Bretonnian lands after confederating, only to collapse into nothing the moment you beat their stacks. (They don't seem to replace 3 of the 4 armies they lose.)

On the bright side, that makes their territories basically free when playing the Empire.

I'm actually playing Empire again, this time on V. Hard. Aside from now knowing where the unique (and powerful) Empire buildings are, I am actively courting confederations. And confederating on Very Hard is tough; you have to invest in a faction for several turns to even get them into non-aggression or trade pacts. I also didn't realise how much experience Empire units could get out of the gate, it's kind of amazing.

Oh, and I got that 10v1 achievement, only I think it counts projected win%, not unit count? Because I'm certain the numbers weren't skewed like that at all.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just got this game - loving it. Runs really well, too.

Pretty new to modern PC gaming so I have a quick question - right now the 'middle mouse click' is what activates the camera. How do I get that mapped to of the side buttons on my mouse? Doesn't seem to be an option in-game. It's one of them razer death adders, if that matters.

DrSlek

Just got this game - loving it. Runs really well, too.

Pretty new to modern PC gaming so I have a quick question - right now the 'middle mouse click' is what activates the camera. How do I get that mapped to of the side buttons on my mouse? Doesn't seem to be an option in-game. It's one of them razer death adders, if that matters.

I've never bothered remapping any keys in Total War, but I imagine you would just go into options, keyboard controls, then click or double click on the binding you want to change and press the button you want to replace it with.

Edit: I just started a Dwarf game last night. Last time I tried Dwarves I got wrecked by Greenskins within the first few turns. This time I am the wrecker. I and my 2 dwarven allies who will not confederate even though they really like me. After playing Wood Elves, it feels nice to be playing a faction with actual cities and an actual economy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I've never bothered remapping any keys in Total War, but I imagine you would just go into options, keyboard controls, then click or double click on the binding you want to change and press the button you want to replace it with.

Edit: I just started a Dwarf game last night. Last time I tried Dwarves I got wrecked by Greenskins within the first few turns. This time I am the wrecker. I and my 2 dwarven allies who will not confederate even though they really like me. After playing Wood Elves, it feels nice to be playing a faction with actual cities and an actual economy.

figured it out - created a profile in my mouse driver where the 2 buttons were swapped, linked it to Warhammer and boom done

Top Bottom