• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

karnage10

Banned
Pretty sure I saw a screenshot of someone using the Space Marines as a playable army. Are they a DLC or something?

Also wondering this. Just found out about this game last night after watching Angry Joe's top 10 video. Seems like the lowest prices I've seen are like $35-$40 but they're not very trusted sites.

Buy it from the steam store if you can CA deserves the money. Thee game has enough content to justify the price , rigth now you can play as greenskins (orcs), empire (humans similar to the holy roman empire), vampire counts and dwarfs. In february brettonia will be free (human faction that is based in king arthur).
Don't be too scared of the DLC, each of the DLC will still be in game even if you didn't buy them, in short you can play against DLC and only need to purchase the DLC IF you want to use those aditions.
so what type DLC are there?
-> new faction + mini campaign DLC:
- Beastmen
- Wood elves
-> new faction
- Warriors of Chaos
-> new units
- grim and the grave (empire and VC)
- The king and the warlord (greenskins and dwarfs) - this one also adds 2 new subfactions
IMO if you can afford it buy the base game and playd with it, once you feel you are tired of the base game factions look at the new factions for new ways to play or look at the unit packs if you want more units to play around your "favorite" faction.

Vic_Viper

Just buy it from cdkeys, will total to $33.3.

Was about to buy it from CDKeys.com but the regular version is out of stock. Theres a version for $39.99 with all the DLC but it says its a pre order and wont be out until Febuary. Whats up with that? Anyone purchase that version here? Did you get your code?

Was about to buy it from CDKeys.com but the regular version is out of stock. Theres a version for $39.99 with all the DLC but it says its a pre order and wont be out until Febuary. Whats up with that? Anyone purchase that version here? Did you get your code?

It is a preorder, it will not be available anywhere before that. That is how pre-orders work. Cdkeys probably got the stock allocation before a secondary Sega's announcement, this version is mentioned here: http://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer/old-world-edition-bretonnia-free

Cdkeys will restock it sooner or later, otherwise you can track it elsewhere for a little more. Sites are reliable and they all accept paypal, so if you are worried about not getting the code you can contact the paypal for the charge-back.

I hope that Sega is going to sell the "season pass" bundle of current DLC instead of keeping it all at full price.

Druthu is a motherfucker in my new Empire campaign. He just came in with two stacks and sieged Altdorf.
What is everyone's ranking of the Legendary Lords?

Elves are pretty busted atm if you don't mod them cause they don't have Amber requirements, which completely breaks their balance. Mostly they'll upgrade the oak of ages for free everytime it's up, then confederate everything in one large empire, while upgrading all their buildings to max since no amber restriction so they get 10slots per town so even the terrible AI gets all the right buildings this way and get the high units, again without amber costs.

Llyranor

Wait, so should I just refund the vanilla game (33% off on Steam) and wait for the Old World Edition with all the DLC? Acquiring all that DLC later doesn't look like it'll be cheaper (or will there be an upgrade option?)

karnage10

Banned

How trustworthy is CDkeys.com? CA said they would release in february an old world edition but it wouldn't have any payed DLC.

It is a preorder, it will not be available anywhere before that. That is how pre-orders work. Cdkeys probably got the stock allocation before a secondary Sega's announcement, this version is mentioned here: http://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer/old-world-edition-bretonnia-free

Cdkeys will restock it sooner or later, otherwise you can track it elsewhere for a little more. Sites are reliable and they all accept paypal, so if you are worried about not getting the code you can contact the paypal for the charge-back.

I hope that Sega is going to sell the "season pass" bundle of current DLC instead of keeping it all at full price.

I think it will all depend on 2 factors:
1) how successful the 2nd game is (if the 2nd game "flops" they will probably put a higher sales in the 1st game to try and keep the revenue going)
2) How interwined the 2nd game is to the first( i think it would be cool if having the base game would unlock empire/GS/VC/dwarfs subfactions that started in the new world; and having the 2nd game would unlock subfactions that played in the old world)

Wait, so should I just refund the vanilla game (33% off on Steam) and wait for the Old World Edition with all the DLC? Acquiring all that DLC later doesn't look like it'll be cheaper (or will there be an upgrade option?)
Currently CA has said that there would be no "complete" option for now. CA announced a new edition called "the old world" but it has no payed DLC. IMO it all depends on how trustworthy you consider cdkeys. Officially ,in both twiter and reddit, complete version have been denied in the coming months, however cdkeys themselves might be doing this sale out of their pocket.

Grimgor Ironhide, Durthu, and Vlad seem like the three best LL's to me. The former two because of their strength, and Vlad because of his crazy Vanguard Deployment army.
Finally completed a campaign with chaos, but only the short one

What a drag

they are the worst faction of the game

I thought they were alright at the time, but now... they seem half-baked compared to every other faction in the game. They need events, or a more subversive element (like more heroes to spread corruption or something) rather than their current snowball-into-slightly-formidable-opponent thing. In a way, they're the most vanilla faction in the game--even moreso than the Empire.

I hope CA will improve them somehow, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath.

karnage10

Banned
Finally completed a campaign with chaos, but only the short one

What a drag

they are the worst faction of the game

Grimgor Ironhide, Durthu, and Vlad seem like the three best LL's to me. The former two because of their strength, and Vlad because of his crazy Vanguard Deployment army.

I thought they were alright at the time, but now... they seem half-baked compared to every other faction in the game. They need events, or a more subversive element (like more heroes to spread corruption or something) rather than their current snowball-into-slightly-formidable-opponent thing. In a way, they're the most vanilla faction in the game--even moreso than the Empire.

I hope CA will improve them somehow, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath.

I totally feel the same, warriors of chaos feels like an afterthought, It feels like CA decided to make them playable at the last moment because of the backlash of the Huns in attila (which were also not supposedly playable)

No they are not. They resell retail keys (usually scanned box copies), they don't do custom bundles or anything like that.

Then they are making a mistake. For example in the wiki you can see that they are releasin the old world edition which is basically the game + a book; they even go and say
"Does it come with all the DLC? Is it a GoTY or Gold version? No, it’s the original game and the Bretonnia Race Pack, and all the free-LC we’ve released to date of course. There are no plans to release a Gold or GoTY version of the game currently."

Now CA could be lying to our faces but i doubt it since they have little to gain. I think a complete edition might happen when they release the 2nd game.

After 200 hours in Total Warhammer, I only just realised that the VC Banshee has a female portrait and not a male one. All this time I thought they cheaped out and gave both genders the same portrait. (Yeah, for the Banshee, I know, I'm an idiot.)

Even now, I can't unsee the goatee...

Then they are making a mistake. For example in the wiki you can see that they are releasin the old world edition which is basically the game + a book; they even go and say

If Cdkeys have dug up the release date for the edition, I doubt that they are mistaken. Cdkeys have no horse in the race, they buy the stock and resell. Sega's partners might have transferred wrong info then.

Either way it would be strange to relaunch the game with no additional content, don't you think so? Perhaps they told everyone that the "year 1" bundle isn't coming out soon so people bought regular version and DLC without hesitation.

If Cdkeys have dug up the release date for the edition, I doubt that they are mistaken. Cdkeys have no horse in the race, they buy the stock and resell. Sega's partners might have transferred wrong info then.

Either way it would be strange to relaunch the game with no additional content, don't you think so? Perhaps they told everyone that the "year 1" bundle isn't coming out soon so people bought regular version and DLC without hesitation.

The new edition would get new reviews. They want to get rid of the negative press from launch, mostly stemming from the Chaos DLC and blood DLC.

The new edition would get new reviews. They want to get rid of the negative press from launch, mostly stemming from the Chaos DLC and blood DLC.

How does not including that DLC resolve negative reviews? Especially since this edition does not seem to come with Chaos pre-order, so it is even less logical to not include it.

How does not including that DLC resolve negative reviews? Especially since this edition does not seem to come with Chaos pre-order, so it is even less logical to not include it.
Well, user reviews rose quite a bit over the past few months, dipping into positive territory rather than mixed. There was a definite image change since launch, in the positive direction. But... now that I check it again, it has dipped even farther down into mixed, which I'm not sure how to interpret--I guess a lot of the Steam sale folks aren't liking it.

Anyways, the idea, I think, is that the patches and free content since release have made the base game seem like a better deal than it was before, turning the DLC from "cut content" to "extra content." And because of the space since release, the whole Chaos as pre-order DLC thing will be out of the public consciousness a bit more.

There's plenty of Steam games that have tried this sort of thing to dodge negative reviews or metacritic scores, although Total Warhammer would be one of the highest profile, IIRC. It always seems like a scummy and desperate move for a slightly higher review score.

And yeah, including Chaos would make sense... but at the same time, I doubt they'd do it because there'd be a backlash from people that purchased it individually. Myself included.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just started this game!

fucking LOVING it. my first Total War game, so i am still learning the ropes.

starting out on Normal with Dwarfs - had to restart a few times to figure out the economy stuff but now i sort of get it.

i am a little confused as to how fast / slow i should be expanding though. when to occupy/sack and in which direction (north/south)

any tips for a newbie?

I totally feel the same, warriors of chaos feels like an afterthought, It feels like CA decided to make them playable at the last moment because of the backlash of the Huns in attila (which were also not supposedly playable)

worst offender for me is the corruption mechanic

the chaos shrine when you raze a city is busted

the army spawned due to high corruption are my enemies, and fight me

i mean, c'mon...

Just started this game!

starting out on Normal with Dwarfs - had to restart a few times to figure out the economy stuff but now i sort of get it.

i am a little confused as to how fast / slow i should be expanding though. when to occupy/sack and in which direction (north/south)

any tips for a newbie?

we discussed dawi earlier this page (if you have 100postxpage)

quote someone if you need something explained

Baalzebup

Talking about strong LLs and not mentioning Kholek... tsk tsk tsk. Even a combat oriented Grimgor with comparable items pales in comparison to a properly kitted Kholek. Potion of Healing + Ward save 80% made sure I could send him anywhere and everywhere and he'd come out swinging. He might not be quite as killy as Grimgor, but puts out even more comparable weight as a battering ram and a DISTRACTION CARNIFEX™. Tying up 6+ units with Kholek alone made for some really one sided matches when facing supposedly equally powerful armies.

Just started this game!

any tips for a newbie?

For Dwarfs, build up your economy and make a lot of Quarrelers, but not the ones with the great weapons. Make sure you have trade with empire and other dwarven factions, and build your defenses major cities.

Just finished my first Elven campaign on normal. Fantastic faction for anyone who loves to harass in battle. I am not looking forward to facing them when playing other races.

BibiMaghoo

I really love the game, and even though I bought most of it and enjoyed it, I still think the DLC price for races is not acceptable. It can be said that you get a couple of dozen hours play out of a race, but most of that play is vanilla stuff. There are new rosters and in some cases towns, but they don't justify the price. The mechanic changes are very minimal when it comes down to it. It is a shame because I would recommend the content and the game. They really did a great job otherwise.

I really love the game, and even though I bought most of it and enjoyed it, I still think the DLC price for races is not acceptable. It can be said that you get a couple of dozen hours play out of a race, but most of that play is vanilla stuff. There are new rosters and in some cases towns, but they don't justify the price. The mechanic changes are very minimal when it comes down to it. It is a shame because I would recommend the content and the game. They really did a great job otherwise.

I agree with the idea that TW:W DLC is too expensive, but it cannot be as cheap as $5 a race. There aren't enough players to buy a large volume of the DLC to justify making it.

But on the other hand, free campaign non-playable factions, some lords and multiplayer maps are nice. The new free race is also coming out next month, so perhaps high DLC prices are required to offset the FreeLC. Community isn't divided, so I can take my time waiting for the DLC sale/bundle.

I also have a bit of the unfortunate series of campaign events. When the mighty chaos Acheon rolls from the north, I assembled two stacks of armies to get him. But every time I approach, he just runs away. I ran into some economy problems and I cannot maintain two stacks of armies for a prolonged period of time, they aren't even full stacks, more like 35 units and the upkeep is around 7000-8000.

Baalzebup

I also have a bit of the unfortunate series of campaign events. When the mighty chaos Acheon rolls from the north, I assembled two stacks of armies to get him. But every time I approach, he just runs away. I ran into some economy problems and I cannot maintain two stacks of armies for a prolonged period of time, they aren't even full stacks, more like 35 units and the upkeep is around 7000-8000.
Ambush stance, friend. Stick your stacks in a forest near his expected route. If both are spotted, too bad, but if even one goes undetected, Archaon might get the wrong idea and grow a spine. Best scenario? He rolls to your detected stack and gets destroyed instead.

Llyranor

What's so bad about playing as Chaos? Too plain?

Also, how well do non-typical factions work together in a coop campaign? Is it feasible to combine, say, elves and greenskins, vampires and bretonnia, beastmen and dwarves, etc etc? Does the game even allow such pairings?

I didn't realise how good the necromancer and vampire buildings were in terms of income. It has completely changed how I plan infrastructure for VCs.
What's so bad about playing as Chaos? Too plain?

Also, how well do non-typical factions work together in a coop campaign? Is it feasible to combine, say, elves and greenskins, vampires and bretonnia, beastmen and dwarves, etc etc? Does the game even allow such pairings?

In terms of the Grand Campaign, it just feels like they're missing something. Player-led Chaos slowly builds up to a formidable force, but starts off incredibly weak, all but banished to the Norsca lands to slowly vassalise them for the first 50-ish turns. (Because not having them on your side is suicide.) Mid-game Chaos suffers constant betrayals from Norsca factions or AI-led Chaos armies, and once you get through that point the game is basically over, just a matter of mopping up the disparate armies.

The AI never has that "band together to stop Chaos" moment, and the player never has that "ahaha I'm unstoppable" phase Chaos gets during the initial invasion. It's just this slow build-up into an even slower victory. And the whole army attrition thing when two player-owned Chaos armies are in the same region just sucks.

A lot of it stems from the income method, IMO. Chaos constantly runs on a negative income, which heavily restricts their armies, and means they're constantly looking for cities to raze. They get huge research-based bonuses to loot and razing wealth, but have incredibly slow growth for their hordes, which means you've really got to nurture and care for delicate little Chaos armies to become anything formidable. (Because, remember, transferring units is a no-go with the army attrition.)

It's a distinct playstyle, but it feels like it should be so much more. Maybe starting as Norsca, working to summon Chaos, would work better or something; I guess that's the sort of thing the presumed Chaos expansion would do. Basically, more faction events, or some more fun base mechanics would improve it a lot.

For Total War vets, where does this rank for you? I know Rome 2 was generally regarded as a disappointment and that's the last one I played, but I enjoyed Shogun 2.

For Total War vets, where does this rank for you? I know Rome 2 was generally regarded as a disappointment and that's the last one I played, but I enjoyed Shogun 2.

Loved S2 and the expansion

Loathed R2 for a long time but it got better in the end, Attila was a good entry

The only games in the series I can't really like are Empire and Napoleon

It's up there with the best imho, I love the variety that every faction brings

Liljagare

Yeah, this is one of the better Total wars.

Now we just need 40K Total War... :p Have the planets instead of cities, so you can run Titans. :eek:

AlanOC91

A lot of reddit folks claimed playing with some sort of "no confederations" mod enhances the games a lot and improves the campaign.

Any of you guys try it?

Carl7

Shogun II
Medieval II
Rome I
Attila
Empire
Warhammer
Napoleon
Rome II

Rome II was the only I really didn't like and in the end barely played. Shogun II is perfection.

karnage10

Banned
I have every total war and I'd rank warhammer alongside attila and medieval 2 as the best total war.
My rank would be:
medieval 2 = attila = warhammer >>>shogun 2 >>> rome 2 >>> rome >>> empire >>> napoleon >>> shogun >>> medieval.

Medieval 2 has the best mods and a good feeling between the campaign and battles (but the AI just doesn't work), attila has the "best" campaign (because it really is hard to survive the game) and warhammer has the best faction variety and battles (through they are a bit too quick to my taste)

While rome 2 was disappointing if you played at launch, right now it is a good total war.

I just want more Dawn of War 2/Chaos Rising or Space Marine campaigns, not so much the multiplayer trappings.
A lot of reddit folks claimed playing with some sort of "no confederations" mod enhances the games a lot and improves the campaign.

Any of you guys try it?
Ehh, I can see the appeal of it, but it's not really addressing the problem, just a symptom.

Confederations allow the Wood Elves to absolutely dominate the left side of the map, because their economy is, de facto, the best in the game due to how easily they unify with their brethren. But this is due to the AI's infinite amber, not the confederations that they're able to undertake (once they have the amber to upgrade their capital to tier 3).

Disabling confederations would only make the Empire and Greenskins even easier targets, although it might weaken the Dwarves a bit which would be good right now. (Dwarves always dominate the right side of the map from what I've seen, currently.)

Do the DLCs ever go on sale? Wanted to buy them on winter sale but they didn't went on sale.
They haven't yet. The only sales I'm aware of are pre-release, the -10% discount.

As to why:
Steamspy: Steam sales of 2016. (dat number 7)
sMg645j.png

Total Warhammer has been a monstrous success for CA.

Palmer_v1

Honestly, I'm okay getting a little price gouged for this quality, especially if it means I keep getting content. This game scratches an itch few other things do.

So it looks like Norsca factions don't know how to deal with widespread vampiric attrition. As VC, I only just noticed that solitary lords (with no accompanying units) have been roving my territory for a while, and their faction strength is borderline 0. They aren't camping, recruiting new units, or making new armies, and are just wandering around with nothing, apparently having let attrition take every one of their units.

I tested it and killed one lord, and lo and below, a full stack from Varg or w/e wandered down several turns later.

I totally regret killing that lord.

Nere

Okey so I final bought this game and it is awesome. I was always a huge fun of the total war series because I love history, so when warhammer was introduced I was actually disappointed with the fantasy setting and didn't really paid any attention, boy was I wrong.

The game is fantastic, the races are all awesome and really unique compared to each other, the units are really varied and monster units are such a nice addition, the heroes, the rpg elements the list goes on and on. Really great game and a pleasant surprise for me. The DLCs are really overpriced though but on the other hand I still with they release more of them because I really can't get enough of this game.

I heard Bretonnia will be available for the Campaign for free around February but will they also add new units to it? Because on battle mode Bretonnia doesn't even have half the units of the other races, would be a shame to put them like that on the Campaign.

Okey so I final bought this game and it is awesome. I was always a huge fun of the total war series because I love history, so when warhammer was introduced I was actually disappointed with the fantasy setting and didn't really paid any attention, boy was I wrong.

The game is fantastic, the races are all awesome and really unique compared to each other, the units are really varied and monster units are such a nice addition, the heroes, the rpg elements the list goes on and on. Really great game and a pleasant surprise for me. The DLCs are really overpriced though but on the other hand I still with they release more of them because I really can't get enough of this game.

I heard Bretonnia will be available for the Campaign for free around February but will they also add new units to it? Because on battle mode Bretonnia doesn't even have half the units of the other races, would be a shame to put them like that on the Campaign.

I think they might. They are a few units missing in the Bret roster from the multiplayer.

Nere

Okey I have one more question, just had a battle of: me as the wood elves vs beastmen. All units of the wood elves have an attribute called forest stalker which in theory makes them more accurate and fast inside forests. So naturally I attacked the beastmen from the forest and lost pretty badly. I put all the archers inside the forest but close to the end of the battle i noticed all the archers were actually shooting on the trees.... so everybody was missing all the time, so much for being more precise. Is the tooltip wrong or something? Or is it just archers that suck on forest? I am pretty confused here.

Niago

Neo Member
The wood elves will get those buffs for any battle that counts as a forest map, they don't need to actually be standing in the forest on the battle map.

Sometimes maps that don't particularly look "foresty" count, so keep an eye on your unit buffs to see if you have them.

As you have found out, archers shooting into or out of a forest is generally a no-no. A lot of people hate this as it's against the lore, but they are already pretty unbalanced for campaign play, so allowing them to shoot unimpeded in a forest would probably be broken.

Top Bottom