• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just put 1.5 hours into it and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, this is my first Total War game and it's extremely overwhelming. I'll try again tomorrow.

Palmer_v1

Well I just put 1.5 hours into it and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, this is my first Total War game and it's extremely overwhelming. I'll try again tomorrow.

Make sure to play the tutorial stuff. Not every faction has one, I think.

DKehoe

I bought a new PC a month ago and it's not running this properly. Even if I try putting it on low settings I get an unplayable frame rate. I can't understand why.

I've got an Intel Core i5-6402P, 16GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

I'm just getting back into PC gaming and this is the first high end game I'm trying to play on it. Having it not run well at all is incredibly disappointing. If anyone could give any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

I installed GeForce experience and downloaded the latest driver but that doesn't seem to have done anything to help.

EDIT: it seems like the problem is that my PC isn't recognising my graphics card. Not sure how to resolve this but will google about to try and find out.

karnage10

Banned
Expansion announcement incoming?
I "doubt" it. I think this game will still have a few more DLCs before the marketing switches for the expansion.
That said i hope i'm wrong and they anounce the races that will be playable in the expansion.

I bought a new PC a month ago and it's not running this properly. Even if I try putting it on low settings I get an unplayable frame rate. I can't understand why.

I'm just getting back into PC gaming and this is the first high end game I'm trying to play on it. Having it not run well at all is incredibly disappointing. If anyone could give any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

I installed GeForce experience and downloaded the latest driver but that doesn't seem to have done anything to help.

EDIT: it seems like the problem is that my PC isn't recognising my graphics card. Not sure how to resolve this but will google about to try and find out.
My GF has a 1060 3GB laptop and can run the game relatively well. One way to use always your dedicated GPU is by right clicking the NVIDIA Geforce experience (near the clock) -> nvidea control panel In here i think there is way to make your dedicated GPU to play the game. (i'm using my desktop currently)
What the fuckkkk that deal is nuts. I feel like an idiot now for buying it at launch considering I still haven't put any serious time into it.

The game is really good so be proud that you supported a good game! ( i hope that eases some pain).

I feel i should make a youtube video for showing how to play this game and post it in this thread. I wonder if CA would let me monetize such video.

here is a few tips;
for the Campaign:
- reduce the dificulty (in this game dificulty only affects modifyers like public order and morale, the AI is equal in all dificulties)
- VC is the easiest faction and GS the hardest. Dwarfs and empire have a bit of RNG which means that they can get really in a pinch if you overexpand.
- Always build walls and the money making buildings
- the Ai declares war on you if it has a poor relation with you, don't pick fights with the more liked factions and prioritize relationships techs.
- don't easily accept defensive/military aliances, the AI will bring you to wars you might not want; instead try to just have non-agression pact and military access with as many factions as you can (except with unliked small factions).
-Always expand to easily defensible locations, even if it leads you to have a couple of half provinces.
- abuse the army stances, ambush and encampment are really really usefull
- LL don't "die" they just stay wounded for 3/4 turns whichs means that if you need to sacrifice an army always use a LL
- the red tree line of the lords buffs tier 1/2 troops which can be usefull to make cheaper armies

For the battles:
- if the enemy cavalry/ monster is charging don't move your troops! many units can resist some damage if they are stationary
- gunpowders units need direct line of sight to their targets
- You don't need to kill the whole army, you want to make them flee. what damages most the morale is killing the Lord, being surrounded, seeing allies flee, being shot , being tired and being attacked from behind. If you can combine 2/3 factors you can probably rout several units making the battle easier.
- normally the engagements work like this sword beats spear, spear beats (heavy) cavalry, (heavy) cavalry beats sword; archers attack from afar but lose against any unit in melee; most monsters behave like an hybrid between spear and sword but since they have higher mass are harder to pin down (i.e can easily disengage from disadvantageous situations) however they are easier to shot (because they are bigger) and take more damage from spears (just like cavalry). In warhammer with an unit selected you can press space and above the enemy units you will see an exclamation mark-> if it is green that unit will win in a 1 on 1 fight, if it is red it will lose the fight; if it is orange then the battle can go either way.
- stamina matters -> only run when you need to, the higher the fatigue the worse the unit performs in battle.

NEO0MJ

What the fuckkkk that deal is nuts. I feel like an idiot now for buying it at launch considering I still haven't put any serious time into it.

Even for $12 I'm afraid of buying it in case I don't touch this, lol. I meant Shogun hasn't been touched since I bought it last March!

karnage10

Banned
Even for $12 I'm afraid of buying it in case I don't touch this, lol. I meant Shogun hasn't been touched since I bought it last March!

Have you played any total war to date? for me total warhammer is one of the best, sitting on the top alongside medieval 2 and attila.
that said it doesn't matter how good a game is if you don't play it.

It sounds like you just need to install the latest nvidia driver. It has to be recognizing the card otherwise you wouldn't be able to get anything to display, unless you are connecting to the motherboard display outputs and not the outputs directly on the card. Then you're using your integrated graphics.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure to play the tutorial stuff. Not every faction has one, I think.

I did, I picked Greenskins and I still have no idea what I'm doing, there's just so much information being thrown at me.

Also, it runs horrifically, which are the best settings to turn down to improve frame rate? I'm using a 3570k @ 4.3GHz with a GTX 970.

TheMan

yeah...feels like units are only responding to me sometimes, hard to keep track of what's going on. first impression was not as fantastic as I had hoped. i'll have to watch some tutorials on youtube, i guess.

I signed up for Humble Monthly to get this cos its been on the wife's wishlist for a while. I'm not sure I understand the game though. It feels like I'm playing Civ but only allowed to go for the Domination victory.

NEO0MJ

Have you played any total war to date? for me total warhammer is one of the best, sitting on the top alongside medieval 2 and attila.
that said it doesn't matter how good a game is if you don't play it.

Nope. I was planning on entering the series with Shogun. I find this one more interesting aesthetically, maybe that'll encourage me to play it.
Regardless there's no rush as I have a month to decide on it. Only worry is how well my laptop can run it.

yeah...feels like units are only responding to me sometimes, hard to keep track of what's going on. first impression was not as fantastic as I had hoped. i'll have to watch some tutorials on youtube, i guess.

Don't try to play the game as an RTS

Flank,encircle,use your infantry as an anvil and the cavalry as the hammer etcetc

Press P to pause battle as much as you need

PartyElite beginner's guide is great Total War: Warhammer - Beginner's Guide: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVftHdWAdHNOJ-PMquSZMVVAGWIq2TVQ

Palmer_v1

For people having issues, please make sure to mention what faction, and if your problems are in battle, or on the campaign map. We can provide better tips that way, since stuff that works for one faction may not work for another.

karnage10

Banned
I did, I picked Greenskins and I still have no idea what I'm doing, there's just so much information being thrown at me.

Also, it runs horrifically, which are the best settings to turn down to improve frame rate? I'm using a 3570k @ 4.3GHz with a GTX 970.

GS is really hard to play with because their morale is crap and they have little to no AP in low tier units. I'd advise try VC;
For GS your armies should always have waaghs because the GS "always" fight 2-1 battles, if you are fighting 1-1 battle you are probably going to lose unless the enemy is heavily sabotaged.
When fighting the dwarfs you really really need AP units, the worse and most easily accessible are the trolls but you have to kinda babysit them since they really have bad morale and will rout if the enemy focus fires on them
GS ranged units are really really crappy and you probably just need at most 2 raged units for the morale bonus (shooting enemy units gives them a morale penalty); they are only usefull against other GS and VC (low tier).
LL grimgor is a beast, so always send him against the toughest enemy unit, he will make short work of it. Wurzag bonuses are amazing, always use savage orcs with him. Wurzzag is really average until he gets the crown and unlocks the lore of death, this is one of the best magical lores because it allows you to heavaly damage enemy single entity units like lords, monsters and heroes.

if i remeber corretcly unit detail , shadows and MSAA are very heavy on the performace. Reducing unit sizes is what helps the most.

First off, while you are learning you should either be playing in slow motion or pausing every few seconds, because total war battles might be decided in 1 or 2 good moves. It is also completely normal to not "see" everything that is happening in the battle. I have 300h in the game and sometimes the AI manages to beat me in an even fight by exploiting my mistakes.
The units "always" respond to your orders however they will fight if engaged - which means that to disengage a unit is only possible if your unit is faster and has higher/similar mass then your adversary if your unit doesn't have those stats then the enemy will reengage your unit making your order "invalid".

Can someone explain all the recent negative reviews on Steam? Reading a few it seems they're all basically against the DLC, saying previous games weren't like this...but in previous games they didn't add entirely new factions with completely unique models, voices and gameplay that share basically nothing with the other factions in the game.

I don't agree with them being nearly 1/3 the cost of the game itself, though.

Lister

Banned
Can someone explain all the recent negative reviews on Steam? Reading a few it seems they're all basically against the DLC, saying previous games weren't like this...but in previous games they didn't add entirely new factions with completely unique models, voices and gameplay that share basically nothing with the other factions in the game.

I think you have your answer. The average gamer is an idiot. As you mentioned, previous games did not require the amount of work that goes into a new TW faction.

The game is a lto fo fun without the DLC factions too, and there's been a ton fo free content. You just can't please some people.

Nyx

This game is hard to get into. Started a Grand Campaign as The Empire on easy difficulty and by turn 4 I lost my lord and entire army lol.

Guess I need to watch that 40 episode beginner's guide.

Aon

If you're having trouble as the Empire, I'd suggest giving dwarves a try before resorting to endless tutorials. Rock solid infantry and moral, with highly robust ranged capacity. Can legit often leave them in a good defensive position and win without really controlling them early on.

I hope Chaos Dwarfs get added at some point, even though they aren't one of the more well-known races. They have some really cool stuff like Steam Tanks.

karnage10

Banned

If i remember corretly there are also a "few" chinese users who complain about the lack of a chinese translation.

This game is hard to get into. Started a Grand Campaign as The Empire on easy difficulty and by turn 4 I lost my lord and entire army lol.

Guess I need to watch that 40 episode beginner's guide.

Losing the lord and the entire army is not game ending, losing cities/provinces is what hurts the most.

I hope Chaos Dwarfs get added at some point, even though they aren't one of the more well-known races. They have some really cool stuff like Steam Tanks.
According to the russian datamine, it is a planned faction so as long as the game continues to have success it should be added

Just got this from the humble monthly sub. Playing Empire and got to the first orc settlement near me. Destroyed the army that's there and pillaged the settlement. Should I have razed it instead? Is there gonna be an ork army that just appears there sometime later when my armies are away from that area? Is there really no way to get an orc settlement?

Theandrin

Just got this from the humble monthly sub. Playing Empire and got to the first orc settlement near me. Destroyed the army that's there and pillaged the settlement. Should I have razed it instead? Is there gonna be an ork army that just appears there sometime later when my armies are away from that area? Is there really no way to get an orc settlement?

It's up to you, it can be beneficial to keep pillaging the settlement long term for extra cash. The trade off though is that it would be a good idea to keep a small force near that settlement to prevent future attacks as they rebuild an army. The only way you will be able to occupy it is if you download the mod that allows all races to take over all settlements.

It's up to you, it can be beneficial to keep pillaging the settlement long term for extra cash. The trade off though is that it would be a good idea to keep a small force near that settlement to prevent future attacks as they rebuild an army. The only way you will be able to occupy it is if you download the mod that allows all races to take over all settlements.

Oh cool a mod! I'll try that out. But does the AI recognize the mod? Will enemy AI try to take my cities?

Also if I razed it would it still spawn orks?

Oh cool a mod! I'll try that out. But does the AI recognize the mod?
Will enemy AI try to take my cities?

Yes and yes

Every settlement have a garrison (upgrading the main building increase the garrison , building defensive buildings increase the garrison, the second upgrade gives the settlement walls, capitals have walls by default)

If a settlement is razed does not belong to any faction, but it can be occupied by one of the faction that can occupy it ( in your case a razed Greenskin, Crooked moon i guess, settlement can be occupied by dwarves)

patapuf

being used to play all total war games on very hard, this one is kicking my ass.

But it's great, the mechanical changes are welcome, as is needing to relearn a few things. It was getting stale.

karnage10

Banned
Oh cool a mod! I'll try that out. But does the AI recognize the mod? Will enemy AI try to take my cities?

This is my major complain against the game, it doesn't tell you what you can occupy.
Basically it is divided like this:
empire/VC occupy the same settlements (normally they occupy cities in plains);
Greenskins/dwargfs ocupy the same cities(which are normaly in mountain regions and the badlands)
Norzca can only occupy norzca
beastmen and chaos don't have setlements thus they are called hordes, some orc tribes can be hordes however they can settle as they behave like GS faction.
Wood elves can build outposts in every place but can only build troops inside their forest.

IMO if you are playing empire installing the conquer everywhere mod will diminish the experience. The reason being is that you are naturally inclined to cooperate with dwarf factions (since you both won't be vying for the same territories) which might make for a few last stand battles against the chaos hordes/greenskin waaghs very epic.

So I, like many, got this game from the new Humble Monthly. However, although I know a bit about 40k -- enough to know what's going on in general, at least -- I know absolutely nothing about original Warhammer. Are there any basics I should know about the various factions? And are there any novels/short stories you'd recommend? I know some people love the 40k novels, but I've heard nothing on vanilla WH.

Also, any tips for someone unversed in Total War? I watched a review where it's recommended that you start on Easy, but that's all.

Thanks, all!

mkenyon

Banned
So I, like many, got this game from the new Humble Monthly. However, although I know a bit about 40k -- enough to know what's going on in general, at least -- I know absolutely nothing about original Warhammer. Are there any basics I should know about the various factions? And are there any novels/short stories you'd recommend? I know some people love the 40k novels, but I've heard nothing on vanilla WH.

Also, any tips for someone unversed in Total War? I watched a review where it's recommended that you start on Easy, but that's all.

Thanks, all!

tl;dr - Games Workshop killed off Warhammer Fantasy canon, erased the world creating a whole new one to go along with the game, "Age of Sigmar".

I dont even know if they print stuff for Fantasy anymore, like the old novels. Most are honestly not good, but the lore itself was great. Most of that could be found in the army books.

LurkerPrime's Grand Guide to Settlements, Regions, Outposts, and Hordes in Total Warhammer's Grand Campaign.
(as of the Wood Elf DLC)

You can sort all factions into five distinct categories, based on what settlements they can hold as their own:
  • Horde armies - Holds no settlements, instead building on their armies.
    • Includes certain AI Greenskins (although they alone can also conquer a la the Subterranean category below), all Beastmen, all Chaos, and the Baersonling Norsca faction.
  • Surface-dwelling settlements- Holds any human or undead regions except for the Norsca regions.
    • Includes all human factions (including Bretonnia, Kislev and Border Princes/Tilea/Estalia) and all undead factions (including Mousillion).
  • Forts - Holds any dwarven or greenskin regions.
    • Includes all greenskins (aside from the greenskin exception above in the Horde category) and dwarves.
  • Forest-dwelling settlements - Holds any Wood Elf or Argwylon regions, and can conquer any other region in a diminished capacity as outposts.
    • Includes all Wood Elves and Argwylon.
  • Norsca camps - Holds the Norsca regions and nothing else.
    • Includes all Chaos-aligned Norsca factions (Varg and Skaeling).

Armies (this does not include solitary heroes, which are their own thing) have three basic interactions after conquering a settlement: occupying (if both involved factions are compatible, a la the guide above), looting, or razing. The latter two options give wealth in exchange for the amount of damaged caused, with the final option destroying the settlement.

Note that faction-specific buildings with no equivalent for the conquerer are destroyed when occupying. Also note that greenskins make debuff buildings for their target when looting that must be manually demolished.​

A razed settlement can be occupied by the appropriate faction in exchange for half of the army involved and a certain amount of wealth--with more soldiers invested reducing the cost. A newly-founded settlement begins with nothing built and 0 growth, regardless of its status before it was destroyed. The same holds true for Wood Elves and Argwylon founding outposts outside of their home region, in spite of an outpost's reduced effectiveness vs. a full settlement.

While chaos corruption and vampiric corruption have no bearing on what any faction can occupy (affecting the order of the region, and an army/garrison's attrition/replenishment, leadership and nothing else), Chaos-aligned factions, including Chaos, Beastmen, and Norsca, can leave behind Chaos corruption-generating ruins when razing settlements that can only be removed by occupying the settlement.

Lastly, a special note on horde armies. Every horde army is essentially its own settlement for the horde faction, which makes fully destroying them uniquely harmful to said faction. They cannot be looted or razed, only destroyed.

This should be a pretty comprehensive look into these mechanics. Hopefully I didn't overlook anything.

tl;dr - Games Workshop killed off Warhammer Fantasy canon, erased the world creating a whole new one to go along with the game, "Age of Sigmar".

I dont even know if they print stuff for Fantasy anymore, like the old novels. Most are honestly not good, but the lore itself was great. Most of that could be found in the army books.

I hate the changes they made with the lore, i also find it strange how they'd only really start to release Fantasy games (other than Mark of Chaos) after destroying the entire setting. This and Vermintide were both 'outdated' upon release, which is strange; basically anyone who gets into Warhammer lore because f those games is going to end up disappointed when they see none of it exists at all now.

Any thoughts on the Chaos army Dlc, are they a good army to start with and is it worth the money?

In terms of quality, I think they're the most poorly-implemented faction in the Grand Campaigh... though they do have cool units. I'd suggest skipping them for now and holding out for some kind of patch. Like, it's not terrible, but it could be so much better.

And re: starting with Chaos (as your first campaign), I wouldn't recommend it. Their start is a lot harder due to a number of factors. (Horde gameplay, manually vassalising the Norsca, victory conditions, etc.)

Top Bottom