• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Nere

The wood elves will get those buffs for any battle that counts as a forest map, they don't need to actually be standing in the forest on the battle map.

Sometimes maps that don't particularly look "foresty" count, so keep an eye on your unit buffs to see if you have them.

As you have found out, archers shooting into or out of a forest is generally a no-no. A lot of people hate this as it's against the lore, but they are already pretty unbalanced for campaign play, so allowing them to shoot unimpeded in a forest would probably be broken.

Seriously? I thought they got those buffs while inside the forest... Well thanks for the explanation.

karnage10

Banned
Okey so I final bought this game and it is awesome. I was always a huge fun of the total war series because I love history, so when warhammer was introduced I was actually disappointed with the fantasy setting and didn't really paid any attention, boy was I wrong.

The game is fantastic, the races are all awesome and really unique compared to each other, the units are really varied and monster units are such a nice addition, the heroes, the rpg elements the list goes on and on. Really great game and a pleasant surprise for me. The DLCs are really overpriced though but on the other hand I still with they release more of them because I really can't get enough of this game.

I heard Bretonnia will be available for the Campaign for free around February but will they also add new units to it? Because on battle mode Bretonnia doesn't even have half the units of the other races, would be a shame to put them like that on the Campaign.

From what i remember CA has said that Bretonnia will have a bigger more complete roster and the current units will be re-balanced. They also said that bretonnians will have 3 LL (1 of which will be the leader of a subfaction). Reddit and twitter normally have more info but that's what i remember at the moment.

1337Sauce

So this is my first time playing a Total War game for longer than an hour and I'm really enjoying it. Quick question though...how do I get my units to rest up? I'm playing as the dwarves and I am in a settlement that I just took over. My army is in decent shape because I am playing on easy to get the hang of things, but I would just like to improve their condition before going out again!

So this is my first time playing a Total War game for longer than an hour and I'm really enjoying it. Quick question though...how do I get my units to rest up? I'm playing as the dwarves and I am in a settlement that I just took over. My army is in decent shape because I am playing on easy to get the hang of things, but I would just like to improve their condition before going out again!

You mean replenish dead soldiers in your army? Go to freindly territory, either owned or allied, and preferably encamp or enter a settlement for improved replenishment speed.

If you mean recruit new units, you can do that anywhere in an owned territory with unit production so long as your army either hasn't moved, or can encamp (requiring 50% of movement points).

1337Sauce

You mean replenish dead soldiers in your army? Go to freindly territory, either owned or allied, and preferably encamp or enter a settlement for improved replenishment speed.

If you mean recruit new units, you can do that anywhere in an owned territory with unit production so long as your army either hasn't moved, or can encamp (requiring 50% of movement points).

So unit health then (that bar above the units head on the map screen), is indicative of the amount of that unit has been killed, and can then be replenished by simply being in a settlement. But at the same time, it will do this outside of one, just at a much lower speed?

So unit health then (that bar above the units head on the map screen), is indicative of the amount of that unit has been killed, and can then be replenished by simply being in a settlement. But at the same time, it will do this outside of one, just at a much lower speed?

Yes. It will change if your lord has a skill that can increase replenishment.

From what i remember CA has said that Bretonnia will have a bigger more complete roster and the current units will be re-balanced. They also said that bretonnians will have 3 LL (1 of which will be the leader of a subfaction). Reddit and twitter normally have more info but that's what i remember at the moment.

CA said that the three lords are Louecoueur, Alberic of bordeleaux and the fay enchantress

I probably spelled them all wrong

Palmer_v1

Typically, you'll replenish if you're in friendly territory, which includes anything controlled by allies. You will replenish the most if you are either encamped, or garrisoned in a city. In enemy or neutral territory, you'll only replenish if you're encamped, but it's at a reduced rate compared to being in friendly territory.

Recruitment basically follows similar rules. As long as you're not marching(or using special faction movement like tunneling for dwarves), you can recruit from the local province(if you control it) at normal cost/time. If you encamp or garrison, you also gain access to the global recruitment pool, which is ALL of your provinces, but I believe the recruitment cost and time required are both doubled. On the other hand, global recruitment uses a separate queue from local, so you could recruit 3 things locally and 3 things globally at the same time.

Palmer_v1

Another campaign as the stunties? I'll take it

Does gromb have a different start position?

Is he the one that starts over by the Wood Elves? He has a tough start, cause his upkeep costs are drastically increased until he can capture one of the SE Greenskin cities. On the other hand, he starts with a few ghostly agents that are fantastic.

karnage10

Banned
Another campaign as the stunties? I'll take it

Does gromb have a different start position?
he belongs to the main dwarf faction.

Is he the one that starts over by the Wood Elves? He has a tough start, cause his upkeep costs are drastically increased until he can capture one of the SE Greenskin cities. On the other hand, he starts with a few ghostly agents that are fantastic.
you are confusing belagar (clan angrund subfaction) with grombindal (main dwarf faction).
To get belagar you need to buy the K&W DLC pack, grombindal is free to everyone on 19th january. A few people already have grombindal since he came with November white dwarf magazine.

Palmer_v1

he belongs to the main dwarf faction.

you are confusing belagar (clan angrund subfaction) with grombindal (main dwarf faction).
To get belagar you need to buy the K&W DLC pack, grombindal is free to everyone on 19th january. A few people already have grombindal since he came with November white dwarf magazine.

Ah, nm. I have Grombindal, but haven't actually started a campaign with him yet. Not sure what he specializes in.

There's a Defensive Wood Elves mod that should fix their problematic nature right now (I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful). It gives all Wood Elf factions the Defensive trait to prevent them from going too far beyond their territory, keeping them more in-lore and hopefully improving map balance.

Because currently, Wood Elves overrrun the Western and Southern coasts by mid-game; the factions there lack the power or unity to stop the three to five stacks they produce. It is a huge swath of land that does nothing for anyone. One you defeat the Wood Elves' full army, it's a 20-40 turn matter of marching on their woods and razing their cities, an exercise in tedium more than anything. (And you have to, because otherwise, in 40-50 turns they'll be back at full strength attacking you again.)

It's not that their armies are particularly strong, even with the amber freedom. They're like the Norsca right now--unbelievably wealthy and focused solely on the destruction/conquering of nearby territory.

There's a Defensive Wood Elves mod that should fix their problematic nature right now (I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful). It gives all Wood Elf factions the Defensive trait to prevent them from going too far beyond their territory, keeping them more in-lore and hopefully improving map balance.

Because currently, Wood Elves overrrun the Western and Southern coasts by mid-game; the factions there lack the power or unity to stop the three to five stacks they produce. It is a huge swath of land that does nothing for anyone. One you defeat the Wood Elves' full army, it's a 20-40 turn matter of marching on their woods and razing their cities, an exercise in tedium more than anything. (And you have to, because otherwise, in 40-50 turns they'll be back at full strength attacking you again.)

It's not that their armies are particularly strong, even with the amber freedom. They're like the Norsca right now--unbelievably wealthy and focused solely on the destruction/conquering of nearby territory.

Glad that someone fixed this problem.

I don't know if I should post this but I thought this was pretty great fanart.
tumblr_ojwwlscpKv1uqdhz8o1_1280.jpg

bh6lFQL.png

should come in february

nothing new but, reminder for everyone who's waiting for a GOTY/GOLD/whatever edition with all the DLCs

2) Does it come with all the DLC? Is it a GoTY or Gold version?
No, it’s the original game and the Bretonnia Race Pack, and all the free-LC we’ve released to date of course. There are no plans to release a Gold or GoTY version of the game currently.

From the selfish point of view, other people aren't going to get a superior deal.

From the reasonable one, it is a shitty value pack and most games deploy a GOTY/Inclusive version of the game one year later. Sega labels it "Additional playable race DLC", it adds zero value to the package.

I will continue to wait for the bundle/50% off on DLC.

Nere

A friend of mine wants to buy it on a laptop and wonder if you know if it can run it and how well. He has cpu: i3 5005u (2.0ghrz), 940m 2gb, 4gb ram. I am wondering more about his cpu because I know how heavy warhammer is on that front.

Nere

Hmm searching more it seems TWW is more focused on CPU than GPU and lists on minimum requirements a dual core with 3ghz so an i3 5005u which 2 cores and runs at 2ghz won't even be able to run it right?

Hmm searching more it seems TWW is more focused on CPU than GPU and lists on minimum requirements a dual core with 3ghz so an i3 5005u which 2 cores and runs at 2ghz won't even be able to run it right?

if he has some cash to spare, just let him try it on steam and ask a refund if it's unplayable

check YT for a similar configuration

at the lowest settings it could be "playable"

Nere

if he has some cash to spare, just let him try it on steam and ask a refund if it's unplayable

check YT for a similar configuration

at the lowest settings it could be "playable"

I've searched on youtube and I can't find any video with that bad CPU also he wants to buy it from a store so he trades in his game so he gets it for free so no refund possible. I don't think an i3 at 2.0 ghz can run it though

karnage10

Banned
A friend of mine wants to buy it on a laptop and wonder if you know if it can run it and how well. He has cpu: i3 5005u (2.0ghrz), 940m 2gb, 4gb ram. I am wondering more about his cpu because I know how heavy warhammer is on that front.

Warhammer is heavy on cpu IF you are using "huge" unit sizes, if you can have fun with smaller unit sizes maybe the game can run. Personally i played with an i5@2.5Ghz , 8GB and a 525m with huge unit sizes (all the rest at the minimum) and i got 10 FPS at 900p

Do we know in which form will the big expansions appear???

CA said the expansion would be stand alone and add at least 4 races; it will have a new campaign map. They also said that if you own the base game and the new expansion the map will "fuse" making a bigger map (when all 3 games are concluded CA said it would be the biggest total war map).
From here on out is "logical" speculation:
We know the first game is being renamed to "old world", which would point to the next game being the new world. IMO the races that make sense are high elves versus dark elves and lizardmen versus skaven. Skaven will probably be the race that bonds the first game to this expansion.
I'd also bet that the expansion will cost as much as the old world edition.

Nere

Warhammer is heavy on cpu IF you are using "huge" unit sizes, if you can have fun with smaller unit sizes maybe the game can run. Personally i played with an i5@2.5Ghz , 8GB and a 525m with huge unit sizes (all the rest at the minimum) and i got 10 FPS at 900p

Well tbh 10 FPS doesn't sound like playable to me.

Nere

January was really slow for this game. What is CA doing? No news nothing. So we know so far that Bretonnia is releasing in February? Do we know around when? Also do we know if there will be more dlc content after or then we are waiting for an expansion? I love this game but need new content!

Bretonnia and the Old World Edition (physical edition/re-release putting all free content including Bretonnia in one package) are releasing this month as I understand. CA has been quiet.

Presumably some kind of DLC or patch will hit alongside the OWE. The door is wide open for a New World Edition (stand-alone expansion), I think, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

karnage10

Banned
January was really slow for this game. What is CA doing? No news nothing. So we know so far that Bretonnia is releasing in February? Do we know around when? Also do we know if there will be more dlc content after or then we are waiting for an expansion? I love this game but need new content!

We officially know the following:
- In february we get bretonia (free race pack) and a patch (we know this patch will make it harder for "flying units to take off after being engaged", WE gc AI will change and towers of marienburg should work)
- after february we know there is at least 2 free DLC one is a LL and the other is dubbed "an old friend"
- The first expansion is planed for this year.

My conjecture: CA has said that their DLC plan was expanded, as such i think we will have a couple more DLC packs for the base game. I think it is logical to add subfactions for both the empire and the VC (which could be done with 1 more LL pack) , brettonia also deserves a LL pack (which could bring another WE LL) and i also think CA can probably do a minor faction such as kislev/border princes.
In short i think we will have 2/3 Lord packs + 1 race pack which would give new content up to around june/july (assuming CA can make 1DLC/month).
I just hope CA revamps all the old world content at the same time the expansion is released.

Palmer_v1

Could the border princes and company be a faction? Don't know the fluff well enough to say if they have anything that would make them stand out from normal Empire units.

Meh fail when will we get more info for the Bretonnia DLC? Are we 100% sure it is coming this month or maybe they pushed it back?

All retailers and key distributors have it for 28th. I am pretty sure that there will be a Day 1 or earlier patch for the content, so it cannot be pushed back.

karnage10

Banned
Could the border princes and company be a faction? Don't know the fluff well enough to say if they have anything that would make them stand out from normal Empire units.

i'm no expert in warhammer but from what I read the answer is both yes and no.
The 8th edition tabletop doesnt have these factions as playable however there are mercenary units for these minor factions and there is quite a bit of lore about these countries.
For these factions to be playable (by this i mean for the faction to have its own flair) CA would need to create new units based on the lore but that don't exist in the tabletop.
in short CA has 2 options:
1) ignore the minor factions (kislev is the only that has quite a bit of units)
2) create a roster for these new factions based on the lore

The first point was/is the plan for CA, they mentioned they only intended to bring 16 major factions, but if the game continues to have success these minor faction (kislev, border princes, tileia, estalia, araby, etc.) are begging to be made DLC.

mkenyon

Banned
i'm no expert in warhammer but from what I read the answer is both yes and no.
The 8th edition tabletop doesnt have these factions as playable however there are mercenary units for these minor factions and there is quite a bit of lore about these countries.
For these factions to be playable (by this i mean for the faction to have its own flair) CA would need to create new units based on the lore but that don't exist in the tabletop.
in short CA has 2 options:
1) ignore the minor factions (kislev is the only that has quite a bit of units)
2) create a roster for these new factions based on the lore

The first point was/is the plan for CA, they mentioned they only intended to bring 16 major factions, but if the game continues to have success these minor faction (kislev, border princes, tileia, estalia, araby, etc.) are begging to be made DLC.
I really don't think they'd put effort into making those fleshed out factions, perhaps Kislev, but not the rest. The amount of art work in manhours would be insane compared to the already established large factions that people want to see.

If anything, I see Ogre Kingdoms and Kislev for the Old World.

karnage10

Banned
I really don't think they'd put effort into making those fleshed out factions, perhaps Kislev, but not the rest. The amount of art work in manhours would be insane compared to the already established large factions that people want to see.

If anything, I see Ogre Kingdoms and Kislev for the Old World.

Ogre kingdoms is kinda "confirmed" by being in the russian datamine, by this i mean that CA has the ogre kingdom faction planed as DLC.
Ogre kingdoms are bigger then the WE dlc which means that they won't be added as DLC for the current game. I think they will be DLC for either the 2nd game or for the 3rd, depending on the ambition for the 2nd game.
I think minor factions such as tilea would not require that much effort, basically you could re-use asset/mechanics from other races complementing that with 1-2 new mechanics plus a few new units. I think the 2 major challenges are making these factions respectful to the lore so that CA doesn't piss off the fans of warhammer and keeping the interest in the game long enough to make these factions viable economically
That said i totally hope they bring kislev either in the near future or when they release the chaos expansion.

mkenyon

Banned
Ogre kingdoms is kinda "confirmed" by being in the russian datamine, by this i mean that CA has the ogre kingdom faction planed as DLC.
Ogre kingdoms are bigger then the WE dlc which means that they won't be added as DLC for the current game. I think they will be DLC for either the 2nd game or for the 3rd, depending on the ambition for the 2nd game.
I think minor factions such as tilea would not require that much effort, basically you could re-use asset/mechanics from other races complementing that with 1-2 new mechanics plus a few new units. I think the 2 major challenges are making these factions respectful to the lore so that CA doesn't piss off the fans of warhammer and keeping the interest in the game long enough to make these factions viable economically
That said i totally hope they bring kislev either in the near future or when they release the chaos expansion.
Hey, they can't do much worse than what GW already has with Fantasy lore.

Top Bottom