• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totoki: "We create infinite realities"; He wants to promote DEI, combat climate change; Sony's profit growth will be driven by PlayStation (margin of

ahtlas7

Sinking Leonardo Dicaprio GIF
Next stop: the bottom.

Last edited:
This guy just said the quiet part out loud. "We are actively pushing divisive propaganda in our corporate products at the behest of ESG social impact investment." Sounds like it's time for some of you to sell your PS5 and join us over at Team Gaben. After all, we eventually get the same games you do anyway. I don't personally play them myself, but the option is always there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I watched some random youtube video on why these companies are going all in on DEI and while it might all be bullshit, it seems the biggest investors in these companies decide to invest based on ESG scores and DEI initiatives.

Again, might just be conspiracy theorist youtube bullshit, but it made sense. it's not that the corporations are woke, it's all about the money.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I watched some random youtube video on why these companies are going all in on DEI and while it might all be bullshit, it seems the biggest investors in these companies decide to invest based on ESG scores and DEI initiatives.

Again, might just be conspiracy theorist youtube bullshit, but it made sense. it's not that the corporations are woke, it's all about the money.
That's exactly what it is. And worse yet, which is 100% verifiable and not a conspiracy theory. Our tax dollars are going to these companies like BlackRock in the guise of "military contracts," which in return they buy up tons of houses and land, as well as give money to these corporations for the global ideological crusade.

Last edited:
People have a negative impression of DEI, but I think as long as people are held accountable for their work, it's not a problem.

I think it's the lack of accountability that causes disasters like Concord.

The whole premise of DEI is that they Didn't Earn It. So their work is lackluster. If they were judged by merit they wouldn't be there and we'd have better products.

Fabieter

Its definitely the worst timeline and i have a feeling we did spencer and xbox dirty. Holy shit are these people clueless.

Go_Ly_Dow

That's a part of it.

But also these companies have no backbone and moral strength and so what they fear the most is reputational damage.

If you're a big corporation and statistics show you haven't got enough women or people of colour in leadership/management/boardroom positions, or not enough in general they fear the negative PR in both the business community and media.

All they have to say is we hire on merit and that's it. But they're too cowardly to do it and so push forward with DEI.

Asia isn't totally immune to it, but they still champion a meritocracy and value seniority and so that's why there's less of it.

Last edited:

Frwrd

"...promote DEI, combat climate change."

I'm always one to ask people to maintain the same energy towards anything and everything they're about to speak on, and on that note--Sony, and more specifically this TokiToki Tik-Tok-motherfucker can eat a whole field of nut sacks along with anyone and everyone inside the company backing this dumb shit; I do hope and pray that IF they do go ahead with this lame shit, they don't just lose players and sales, but suffer complete-team/studio closures and go into a debt so serious that affect their next console even.

This fuck shit needs to stop, it's not even about what's right or wrong, it's about this fucking constant agenda-pushing everywhere you fucking go, now not even our preferred art form is safe from this cornballs; fuck outta here.

Motherfuck D E.I., Sweet Baby Inc and all these pieces of shit "me-too" motherfuckers. Have a nice day 🙂

Last edited:

It's also because most billionaires don't need to earn money anymore and are woke as fuck because they feel guilty so they are virtue signaling. And they are pushing this destructive nonsense on the society.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
You know this statement really makes no sense because if this was the collective directive of leadership, Concord would not only be available today, it would have the full backing of Sony's entertainment division.
On a side note, I have seen dei initiatives, pillars, and policies implemented within an organization that completely gutted the original mission statements. It was like watching a healthy person be consumed by an illness. And in all honesty, a lot of wonderful people had their careers destroyed for 100% not being on board and implementing things they felt were fundamentally wrong.

But, we'll see how this plays out. Sony isn't a small organization with a few hundred people.

LordCBH

They literally cleaned some of Bungie's house due to that DEI shit that led them to be a money burning inefficient operation.

Then the Concord bomb, UbiSoft bombs, either this is all talk on the global stage, or they haven't woken up yet.

If they haven’t woken up, then they will. I just hope it isn’t too late as PlayStation has been my preferred platform forever, though I do play on everything.

yeah, but that only works when companies are doing well (initial time of the investment) but if companies start performing poorly then again it will self correct, it just takes a lot of time (feels like we've been decades on this situation already...)

shamoomoo

They literally cleaned some of Bungie's house due to that DEI shit that led them to be a money burning inefficient operation.

Then the Concord bomb, UbiSoft bombs, either this is all talk on the global stage, or they haven't woken up yet.
Do you have any proof of that?

PeteBull

Ubi lost plenty money last few years over pushing woke agenda instead of focusing on highest possible quality of their product, their stock price suffered time and time again, lets see how it will affect sony, we will know soon enough.
I think one thing that sony is profiting from- microsoft dropped the ball so badly this gen that many games are basically free sony exclusives, including next years gta6, easily 80% sales gonna be on ps5/pr0 coz no pc version for maybe 2-3years- that is huge injection of cash sony gonna apreciate a lot.

Woopah

Some of you have clearly never worked for a multi-billion dollar corporation. It's just common sense: people need to be inclusive, accept everyone, and collaborate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
This. We do DEI at our company and it's done some good, sensible stuff.
promote and hire based on race and gender. oh fun. bunch of racist and sexist pieces of shit
They don't say they'll hire based on race and gender though.
Why? Why the need to have people from different backgrounds? I'd say talent and passion are much more important than race and background, specially when it comes to software development.
Because the human race is very diverse. If you want to attract/develop/retain the best talent, you need to cast a wide net).
I don't think it's PR nonsense.

DEI initiatives impact who the company/studios hire (essentially not hiring on merit but on "marginalised" charactertistics).
Depends on how Sony does it. The right way is to do DEI and hire based on merit.

Roxkis_ii

The whole premise of DEI is that they Didn't Earn It. So their work is lackluster. If they were judged by merit they wouldn't be there and we'd have better products.
That's where the accountability comes in to play. If your work doesn't met the standard, then your out the door. That is how it should be.

It's one thing I think a lot of people don't understand that everyone has a bias. You subconsciously give people like yourself extra brownie points rather you realize it or not. People intuitively like the familiar. I think at the most basic level, I believe the idea DEI is an attempt to even the playing field. But it seems to have an issue of letting extremist go unchecked in some situations (Concord) to the detriment of everybody.

At the end of the day, ability to do the job should be at the top of list in hiring people, then evening the playing field after that with heavy accountability throughout is my opinion.

xanaum

Yeah, that makes me worried about the future of the franchises I love and my main platform. The world is starting to move away from that, and Sony is gonna dive headfirst and crash hard.

It’s gonna be sad days and a lot of losses before they turn things around—if they can even come back from this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wow, imagine putting "Act ethically and legally" in a PR statement as if it was some sort of virtue instead of the DEFAULT EXPECTATION.

And as for combatting climate change, WTF is a software and hardware company gonna do? Their server farms burn energy like its going out of style, their ENTIRE product range is made from oil and rare earth minerals scraped out of the dirt by slaves, all they mean is they will throw some 'carbon bucks' at a scam company that claims they can plant some trees to offset the carbon emissions of a dozen massive factories, puh-lease. Make me a 100% recycled playstation or TV that is powered by me on a stationary bike or GTFO.

Dr.Morris79

I just find it all crazy to be honest, all of it.

Started gaming in 84, hooked. Gamed all through till now. I remember being called a geek, nerd, you name it. Only about three or four people were gaming in my class, probably about 7 in the whole school in 91. Still called geeks, nerds, weirdos, just for gaming :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now look at the absolute state of it!

What even is this? The real weirdos got hold of it in the end :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Man. The one true hobby I had, trashed.

Thank christ for the 'against the grain' developers still trying to hang on to some semblance of normality

You're heroes in my eyes 🫡

shamoomoo

People have a negative impression of DEI, but I think as long as people are held accountable for their work, it's not a problem.

I think it's the lack of accountability that causes disasters like Concord.
No, only racist and sexist. If shit worked the way it's supposed to,we wouldn't need any type of DEI. Also, what those that really mean? Being cognizant of other people's plight and helping groups to be self-sufficient isn't a bad thing.

Mr Moose

Have they learned nothing? Shut the fuck up. Shove the DEI shit up your ass.
Hire the best people for the job. Don't want to do that? Want to tick a box with some purple haired idiot? Then fail.
Climate change? What are you going to do, attack China, India and the US? Kill all the cows? No, so shut the fuck up.

Top Bottom