• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Shengar

I recently started playing the game on PC (and having lots of fun) and was wondering about the use of Purify for Mitama. Do you purify a Mitama to reset it to learn more skills for it? In case that's the use of Purify, do you get to decide which skills to use once you have more than 3? Otherwise I don't understand why one would use Purify, unless skills are also random so the use is to hope to get certain skills once you level the Mitama again?

You get to decide when you have skills more than three. The Purify option was introduced in the vanilla game where you must grind to have different set of skill. Now since they've introduced Ultimate level for Mitama in which you could choose their skills freely, Purify option really rendered obsolete, unless you're in really early game and made a mistake.

Recall

Are there are early game tips anyone can provide? The game arrived today but I won't get chance to play tomorrow and I'm hoping I can get a little more out if it than I did with my attempt at playing Monster Hunter. Cheers

maouvin

Are there are early game tips anyone can provide? The game arrived today but I won't get chance to play tomorrow and I'm hoping I can get a little more out if it than I did with my attempt at playing Monster Hunter. Cheers

You're asked to choose a weapon style when creating your characters, but you can change it later whenever you want so don't worry about "choosing wrong";
Don't forget to change your character's name at creation (the default is "Slayer");
Do the weapon tutorials with Yamato (the guy with the eyepatch) to know them better;
The first missions will be only against small enemies, which can be boring, but don't give up!
Your partners' AI is good and there's no downside/penalty to using them, so bring them along.

For everyone experiencing crashes i'd appreciate it if you could explain what you were doing prior to it crashing or what you were doing when it crashed. Please include OS & Computer Specifications as well. I'm compiling a log to help Japan find the cause of the crashes.

maouvin

So my only party member has left how do I go about getting more party members? Cheers

You get more characters by progressing through single player. I believe that by the end of chapter one you're already able to get a full party of 4.

It could be that you're doing a mission that requires you to solo, too (I don't remember having those at the beginning of the game though).

Recall

You get more characters by progressing through single player. I believe that by the end of chapter one you're already able to get a full party of 4.

It could be that you're doing a mission that requires you to solo, too (I don't remember having those at the beginning of the game though).

Yeah no guide as mentioned about doing solo runs at the start. I got a new mission and from my party member and she left :/

I don't remember solo missions in early chapter - sometimes partners are locked or you are supposed to meet them in the mission so they won't be shown in selection screen.

Also if this is your first encounter with game I'd suggest doing tutorial for each weapon type to select ones that will have fightning style you like.

Recall

Last line of defence mission has you running against a large ONI by yourself. I keep getting destroyed after 30+ mins of trying to defeat it.

Aaarrggh

maouvin

Last line of defence mission has you running against a large ONI by yourself. I keep getting destroyed after 30+ mins of trying to defeat it.

Aaarrggh

You can use the method used on speedruns: break a part, purify it and then keep attacking that broken part - attacking broken and purified parts damage the oni directly on the red life bar instead of the purple one (you can check those pressing select on Vita or the touchpad on PS4).

Don't bother trying to break all parts.

Shengar

Aaarrggh

Is this where you have to solo a Maneater alone? If so, follows what maouvin had said: break one part, focus on it solely due to how monster's health work in Toukiden. Also makes sure that your weapon deal slash damage since Maneater's legs are weak to that damage type.

Recall

You can use the method used on speedruns: break a part, purify it and then keep attacking that broken part - attacking broken and purified parts damage the oni directly on the red life bar instead of the purple one (you can check those pressing select on Vita or the touchpad on PS4).

Don't bother trying to break all parts.

Is this where you have to solo a Maneater alone? If so, follows what maouvin had said: break one part, focus on it solely due to how monster's health work in Toukiden. Also makes sure that your weapon deal slash damage since Maneater's legs are weak to that damage type.

When you say attack a broken part after it's been purified do you mean the same part I attacked previously? As I thought it auto regenerates?

There are speedruns of toukiden? Wow gonna have to look those up :)

Cheers for the help. Will give it another go tonight.

maouvin

When you say attack a broken part after it's been purified do you mean the same part I attacked previously? As I thought it auto regenerates?

Yup. Broken and purified parts regenerate, but will be purple-ish. Attacking those will damage the oni directly instead of its "shield" (purple life bar), so you can just focus on one of those.

As for speedruns I don't know if you can find much on youtube, but on gamefaqs there's always people posting their killing times to compare their build's effectiveness.

Shengar

There are speedruns of toukiden? Wow gonna have to look those up :)

Cheers for the help. Will give it another go tonight.

Those part that "regenerates" aren't fully healed back to its original from if you purify the broken limb. It'll be like shadow, purple tinted transparent limb where if you attacked it, you deal damage directly to the oni's red bar as opposed to the purple bar if you attack unbroken/non purple part.

mrsmr2

Any tips for soloing the Special Missions in the demo?

I played the original demo, and have put a good few hours into this one as well. I've ordered the game so should get it in the next few days.

I've tried most of the weapons and I'm enjoying the Naginata the most.

I'm finding Screecher really tough - mostly due to the stun and homing claw attack combo that eventually gets me. I've failed that 6 or 7 times.
Tried Snowflame once. Easy, but boring, until its second form. Then I got destroyed.
Haven't tried Chtonian Fiend yet.

With 3 AI the first two battles were easy so I could cut that down to 1 to give a bit more breathing space.

Am I being too ambitious trying to solo these, or should I just go and practice more?

Ogawa-san

Soloing in this game isn't very fun. Fights are designed for 2~4 people wailing on a boss for 10min+, when you're alone and with the oni's undivided attention it takes way too long. You can solo almost everything though, it's just not the kind of fun challenge.

Screecher: you can parry that dive attack - in fact you can parry everything, which is awesome. For other weapons, you usually have to use dodge's invincible frames going towards that dive.

Snowflame: save your destroyer for the second form, then break one of the tails asap. Once you break (and purify) both it goes back to normal.

mrsmr2

Thanks. I was getting the feeling that soloing is a bit too slow.

For the Screecher, the homing dive isn't too bad to dodge. It's the being stunned first that gets me. And I'm not great at avoiding the stuns.

I need to use parry more but it's not natural yet so I'm mostly rolling attacks.

Good to know about Snowflame's tail. I guess the trick is to get both parts to red and then leave them until its second form in case I don't have a destroyer, or one red and use a destroyer on the other one.

Shengar

For Screecher's homing claw attack, you better roll towards it. Though I don't know how worse it is if the Screecger don't have anyone else to receive its aggro and make its out of position before claw diving.

Xenoflare

For Screecher's homing claw attack, you better roll towards it. Though I don't know how worse it is if the Screecger don't have anyone else to receive its aggro and make its out of position before claw diving.

I almost rage quit on my first try of fighting it, using a rifle doesn't help too.

And apparently it resists the Sky element which my rifle at the time was having. Not fun,

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Soloing in this game isn't very fun. Fights are designed for 2~4 people wailing on a boss for 10min+, when you're alone and with the oni's undivided attention it takes way too long. You can solo almost everything though, it's just not the kind of fun challenge.

Screecher: you can parry that dive attack - in fact you can parry everything, which is awesome. For other weapons, you usually have to use dodge's invincible frames going towards that dive.

Snowflame: save your destroyer for the second form, then break one of the tails asap. Once you break (and purify) both it goes back to normal.

Wait... you can parry?

With what? R1?

Shengar

Wait... you can parry?

With what? R1?

Square+Cross
Or X+A with Xbox controller.The reason why naginata control feels one button mashy is thi: keeping the attack control simple enough so you can focus on both attacking and parrying. It's not easy matter since naginata flurry of attack and ill timed parry cost a ton focus.

Sinatar

Square+Cross
Or X+A with Xbox controller.The reason why naginata control feels one button mashy is thi: keeping the attack control simple enough so you can focus on both attacking and parrying. It's not easy matter since naginata flurry of attack and ill timed parry cost a ton focus.

Interesting, I'll have to try that out. Does it stagger enemies when done correctly or just block the hit?

Shengar

Interesting, I'll have to try that out. Does it stagger enemies when done correctly or just block the hit?

Just block them, but it nullify all damage unlike gauntlet's block.
You can parry everything, even projectile. Reki do this a LOT.

HI quick question guys , i had the original toukiden on vita but i didn't finsh the story .
NOw i got the PS4 version digital, will i be able to continue where i left of ? even if i start it from 0 , i seems to remember some bonuses , how do i activate that ?

Shengar

HI quick question guys , i had the original toukiden on vita but i didn't finsh the story .
NOw i got the PS4 version digital, will i be able to continue where i left of ? even if i start it from 0 , i seems to remember some bonuses , how do i activate that ?
You need the data transfer function from AoD main menu (need the latest patch to do this>. Then you used the same function from the PS4 Kiwami. You should be able to continue from where you left off.

I sometimes wish this game had a bit less content :) I've spent last 20-30 hours making clean up of missions remaining after finishing story and there's still like 150 of them left.

Shengar

I sometimes wish this game had a bit less content :) I've spent last 20-30 hours making clean up of missions remaining after finishing story and there's still like 150 of them left.

Playing through the game again I must say that the AoD portion is padded as fucked, in a bad way. The story could be done with much fewer story. It is like KT desperate to make the game "filled" with content. While the Kiwami portion is better, it is just the single player as the MP also suffered from padding as I see it.

To those who played it on PC, do you know how to unlock the framerate?

Sinatar

I know, but I still want to taste it though.

I don't think it's possible anymore.

There was a bug where with G-Sync (and some bizarre V-Sync configs) the game would run uncapped, but they patched that so it's hard locked to 30.

Shengar

I had a taste. It's what made me preorder the PC version.

Sigh...
I wonder if my TV had it too. I'll better checked it now.
I don't think it's possible anymore.

There was a bug where with G-Sync (and some bizarre V-Sync configs) the game would run uncapped, but they patched that so it's hard locked to 30.

Aw damn. Some of the Steam review said the game feels better at 60fps even when it's run at double so I want to checked it myself. It could make fast weapon like CnS even more hectic I think.

Recall

I've just started chapter 5 and I'm creeping to this point where I feel I may have had my fill. Do we get more large ONI or just keep fighting these same ones over and over? To think there are 13 chapters for single player content I'm right in guessing they do give us bigger enemies to face?

Shengar

I've just started chapter 5 and I'm creeping to this point where I feel I may have had my fill. Do we get more large ONI or just keep fighting these same ones over and over? To think there are 13 chapters for single player content I'm right in guessing they do give us bigger enemies to face?
C'mon, you almost there. The single player of AoD which is indeed padded as fuck in a bad way ended in chapter 5. Chapter 6 only required you to fight Venow Queen and Dreadhalf while Chapter 7 a Frostwing and Sableblade (granted this oni variant aren't much different). Then in chapter 8 on so forth, you begin with the Kiwami portion of the game. It is not only just introduce new monsters but more well paced as well.

maouvin

Yes. The original had around 12 big oni (not counting recolors), and Kiwami brings 15 more (some of them partially share movesets with old ones, but I wouldn't call them mere recolors). It starts slow, but eventually you'll be getting plenty of new things to fight.

Recall

Ah I'm guessing this chapter is the testing point then for most. I'll carry on and get myself to the new content at least as I wasn't sure how it all worked.

Recall

So 80% of the ONI are weak to earth weapons yet I only get the option to create one good stat wise earth weapon, Rockwing yet can create 4 Sky stat weapons that while do better damage is the element most ONI are resistant to. Not fair.

Half way through chapter 6 and I've actually hit a point where I'm grinding but only a little just for the better armour. Still enjoying myself.

mrsmr2

Quick question:

When using a rifle, is there a point in hitting the stomach miasmal node on the Viper Queen with SNP bullets? As far as I can tell it's not a part that breaks so you only do damage temporarily while the purple bar is down. So I might as well hit the arms to break them and then keep hitting them.

I could see one purpose is to help line up PRC bullets to travel through to hit the tail node (the one under the shell) as well.

Am I missing/misunderstanding something?

So 80% of the ONI are weak to earth weapons yet I only get the option to create one good stat wise earth weapon, Rockwing yet can create 4 Sky stat weapons that while do better damage is the element most ONI are resistant to. Not fair.

Half way through chapter 6 and I've actually hit a point where I'm grinding but only a little just for the better armour. Still enjoying myself.

Push story mode into Kiwami area You will get nice weapons that spawn from chapter 8 enemies (initial tier of weapons added in Kiwami).

Same for armors.

maouvin

Quick question:

When using a rifle, is there a point in hitting the stomach miasmal node on the Viper Queen with SNP bullets? As far as I can tell it's not a part that breaks so you only do damage temporarily while the purple bar is down. So I might as well hit the arms to break them and then keep hitting them.

I could see one purpose is to help line up PRC bullets to travel through to hit the tail node (the one under the shell) as well.

Yeah, it might only give more damage to help the purple bar deplete faster - not that it's something you should focus. Not sure though.

Shengar

Quick question:

I don't know how damage work here for each part, but it could give higher damage output if you hit her stomach miasmal node while enrage. Not sure about this though.
Does this game have any challenging end game like MH g rank?

It depends on what you mean on G Rank MH.
Does this G Rank MH includes multiplayer mode?
Is it oneshot fest that MH4U GQ had?
Will it give one particular hunt that could extend to more thatn 15 minutes?

It's very hard to answer this question straight since there are numerous factor that makes either MH harder or Toukiden easier.

I'll be honest here: overall difficulty, Toukiden Kiwami is much easier than MH. By easier, it means much more forgiving. When your health reach 0, you aren't instantly transported to starting area and counted towards retreat, but instead your teammate, AI or human, can revive and put you back straight from action. Then after that, you have competent AI companions that more than enough to clear all missions. So even without touching the multiplayer, you could touch all of the content with minimal stress unlike MH where solo G Rank is pretty much stress test even with the appropriate level of gear for that level because the lack of full fledged companion (palicoes are live bait as they hardly count for one hunter) while the monsters are tinkered to take damage from multi players.

So, if you take the advantage of AI companions, the solo experience of the game will be much, much easier than solo G Rank. But if you don't take companion or take only one, trying to recreate the situation of solo MH as much as possible, even when I haven't yet to try, it could gives significant challenge. Not solo G Rank level but it is not cakewalk either.

When we speak about multiplayer with human, I guess it also much easier as compared to MH. Other than reviving that I have stated above, one reason that mainly makes Toukiden generally easier (not only MP but SP as well) is the subpar AI behavior of the monster. In term of damage, they can easily match your usual G Rank monster. But their AI behavior is not something that makes the fight challenging because they tend to stand idling a lot, or used inappropriate moves of their position from the player that become their target. Then there is this effect where some monster moves become significantly weaker when you destroy your part and most likely if you play with human or AI, those parts will be destroyed before the monster can used their move when the conditions are met. There is one other reason, but this is just me: Toukiden monster have less cheap moves, pretty small hitboxes and most of their moves are pretty telling. Meanwhile MH monster especially the fist and second generation rely too much on instant, 360 degrees tail spin as the source of their damage, other instantaneous type of attack (for third generation monster and onward, their moves mostly have wind up that relatively appropriate to the amount of damage they give)

But again, even after all of this reason, I've been wiped out totally once with AI companions, and twice with human one. In the end when it come to multiplayer, the difficulty is pretty depended on the skill ceiling of your teammate. In my personal experience, hunting session of normal G Rank monsters (and level 120-130 GQ) with competent hunters provide challenge as much as I had on an expert monster of Toukiden with AI companions.

In short, Toukiden generally is easier than MH, but there are many gameplay design differences that makes it to that. For someone like me who started playing MH with the 3rd generation game and playing G Rank only on multiplayer, it is very hard to me to get the picture of "challenging" end game G Rank content besides the obvious one that MH4U Guild Quest.

mrsmr2

Thanks for comments on Viper Queen. I was soloing that and Venom Queen so I focussed on purple parts for the kills.

Shengar's comments about the earlier gen Monsters in MH4U is spot on. It's really obvious they don't have the refinement of the recent gen monsters and they are possibly even more annoying to fight than in FU. Really drags the game down in my opinion.

Recall

Is there any benefit to changing weapon classes? Do ONI drop different items or is it just personal preference?

I've stuck with the Naginata my whole time and loved using it.

Shengar

Is there any benefit to changing weapon classes? Do ONI drop different items or is it just personal preference?

Besides giving you new way to fight monsters? It comes to personal preference. You can absolutely use the same weapon class throughout the whole game but it wouldn't hurt either to try new one.

Nope - just some onis might be easier to kill with other weapon or some body part might be easier to reach.

Top Bottom