• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

My copy finally came after 3 weeks, damn stores claiming local store and coming from hong kong
Sadly region is different from my psn account, so cant transfer from demo :/

In chapter 3, copying gg kylie and doing twin swords, took me a while to get use to using triangle to stay in the air.

weevles

I get the feeling it had a low print run. I never saw it at my local best buy, target, or toys r us, and the only copy gamestop had when I went to buy it the other day was someone's forgotten pre-order. It was sold out online as well, and other stores in the area only had a single copy.

The scarcity is what got me to finally pick it up. Had been planning on finishing out g rank in MH4U first, but got worried I'd be unable to find it if I waited longer.

Well, I just talked to a BB rep who claimed they would be restocking this title and to check back "every day". Not sure I believe them, but it's been barely a month. Can't believe they'd be wiped out that quickly, even if it was a low run.

Oh well, we'll see. Amazon still has them, so I have that and maybe GS if need be...

Shengar

The game gets so much better the further in you go. Loving it, just wish online was more active.
Shame really, but can you expect when the game released one month after MH4U and 5 days after Bloodborner? I believe there is a quite sizeable audience overlap there.

So is Koei / Omega Force ever going to let us stream with sound?

I imagine how suck is this considering the excellent soundtrack the game has. Like fighting Phytodior, half of the fun comes from the music alone.

Jabba

Banned
I get the feeling it had a low print run. I never saw it at my local best buy, target, or toys r us, and the only copy gamestop had when I went to buy it the other day was someone's forgotten pre-order. It was sold out online as well, and other stores in the area only had a single copy.

The scarcity is what got me to finally pick it up. Had been planning on finishing out g rank in MH4U first, but got worried I'd be unable to find it if I waited longer.

Scarce Indeed. The local Best Buy had no copies. Gamestop right next to BB had two copies, one was an unpicked up preorder.

EGOMON

Does anyone know the combo moves for Naginata?
They gave a tutorial at the beginning but I forgot them :/
I remember one starts triangle, square then I think 2x triangle or was it square?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does anyone know the combo moves for Naginata?
They gave a tutorial at the beginning but I forgot them :/
I remember one starts triangle, square then I think 2x triangle or was it square?

You can always play Yamato's tutorial again.

Anyways, so what is the criteria to gain the trophies of Phase 17 and Chapter 13? Clearing them all?

Also, is the clear all mission trophy pertains to the SP only or should we also finish all the MP phases too?

EGOMON

You can always play Yamato's tutorial again.

Anyways, so what is the criteria to gain the Phase 17 and Chapter 13? Clearing them all?

Also, is the clear all mission trophy pertains to the SP only or should we also finish all the MP phases too?
Yamato toturial doesn't give combos just what each button do.

Rephin

Yamato toturial doesn't give combos just what each button do.

I thought it did give the button combos. I don't think I consulted a guide or anything to learn a few of them. (I'd check but I'm at work.)

Edit: If I remember correctly the Katana had that Triangle, Square, Triangle, Triangle combo, I don't remember there being one for Naginata.

Ogawa-san

Gauntlets and punching a single hindleg for 20min. People do it faster with other weapons but I think this is the safest way, thanks to guard and the fact you don't need to use focus to do optimal damage. I went with DEF in vanilla but the usual leech/absorb did the trick this time around.

An alternative would be SPD naginata with double agility and parrying (almost) all the things, but naginata's damage is very spread out so you'll waste a lot of it hitting unbroken body parts.

Also, don't forget to use your tenko like I did.

Shengar

Gauntlets and punching a single hindleg for 20min. People do it faster with other weapons but I think this is the safest way, thanks to guard and the fact you don't need to use focus to do optimal damage. I went with DEF in vanilla but the usual leech/absorb did the trick this time around.

An alternative would be SPD naginata with double agility and parrying (almost) all the things, but naginata's damage is very spread out so you'll waste a lot of it hitting unbroken body parts.

Yeah you can bring Tenko in solo ult Snowflame mission, but it can't be done with Cimmerian King challenge that is only available in multiplayer mission and Tenko couldn't be found there.

bobohoro

Agility+ (Dual) and an elemental health/focus build should really be all you need to do these challenges, at least speaking from a sword perspective.

I should really get back to Toukiden and do that stuff some time.

Ogawa-san

About the other 3 challenges:

- Long Live the King (Slay an Ultimate-class Cimmerian King with no armor or companions.)
Done it with SPD naginata and agility dual. You can't get afford to get hit with no armor, you'll die even through gauntlets' guard. So parry all the things and have 40+ agility charges (plus 2 shrine recharges) to back you up when you don't.

- Fearless (Slay an Ultimate-class Jollux with no armor. (No village Slayers allowed.)
Same deal, just being far easier since every attack is long-winded and with very obvious tells, on top of Jollux being slow and standing around doing nothing a lot. This one can be done online, but no one can use armor.

- Seekers of Truth (Slay an Expert-class large Oni with no companions, armor or Mitama.)
Done it against Jollux using a rifle. Would've been much faster using a naginata, but with no agility it means parry or die.

Something I didn't pay attention when I was getting them done: try to find a solo mission for those, apparently they have bosses with less health.

Shengar

Damn, I should try to learn to parry with Naginata. That weapon didn't interest me due to how button mashy it is.

Also, I reckon the our mitama list different from the Japanese version?

Jabba

Banned

Beat him once with water dual knives. At the time they were the best I had. :( He killed me 4 times before that with Tenko saves and all. He would bezerk, stun, then kill me, even with full health. Had no stun Mitama either and tried a few different style builds but nothing. Armor was the Sky Fox armor at the time. Finally, on my first win he was in the air, knew if he hit me, chalk up another loss. I used eruption and spun his last health away. Strangely, it seemed as if he needed to kill me, he did. No matter what I did. It happened enough to send me to the drawing board those 4 times. Have to say, it's a really good fight though.

Later on I made some water gauntlets and he still killed me due to my shit ass ability with Gauntlets. Once I got them figured to some point I beat Snowflame np.

Another mission I like to revisit to test builds and for fun is the double phytodior/phlogistor (spelling) mission. Absolutely frustratingly challenging for myself and fun at the same time.

I can't say it enough, this a great gem of game.

@Shengar

Thanks for the tip Shengar, definitely will check it out. The people I've multied with, none have Snowflame ch12 mission done.

I don't grasp game mechanic like I used to unfortunately. Today though, I found a poison build that isn't too bad. It would be nice to find Mitamas that are a little different for the build, but it's not bad for kill times if that's my intent.

Gonna look into a limb breaker build soon. Btw good luck with Snowflame. :)

Shengar, any idea if multiplayer phases are the same content as single player online story? I'm hoping I don't have to open another 17 chapters to farm the mateials I need. So close to some great knives.

Nevermind. My single player progress is on the same phase as multiplayer even though I haven't touched online single player much.

Shengar

Triple Yore mitama grant you immunity to stun. I'm planning to tinker with Yore Mitama for Snowflame run as safety measur.

See a new weapon, decide not to build it
hand in missions
cant build it for next 2 hours

this game is evilllll, is there even any point to handing missions in outside of extra room? rewards are so bad so far

Mephala

hand in missions

this game is evilllll, is there even any point to handing missions in outside of extra room? rewards are so bad so far

Depends on the mission. Usually try to complete missions for companion characters as they eventually give you an item that lets you make special weapons (their weapons).

The whole game is a bit of a grind any way so you get used to not having items you need and moving on to something else for a change of pace before coming back to farm for whatever materials you need.

Worst missions are the invisible monsters in my opinion. Fuck them.

Shengar

Man, it's either input lag or my parry timing is sucks. Most of the time it's either too late or too early.
hand in missions

Your best luck is to get Nijima Jo for his Appraisal skill. He's from normal Manhunter in Age of Chao.

Jabba

Banned
hand in missions

I have to agree somewhat. I needed 3 Frostwing to upgrade Kagemaru blades to Kuromara blades in my playthrough as of typing this. I'm in phase 15 doing the Frostwing fight over and over. I've gotten 2 of them, now I need 1 more.

The last three fights that Frostwing bum has dropped Frostwing horns!!! Close, but no cigar as the blades need Frostwing horn. One short still. Anyway back to it.

If anyone on Gaf knows any person/s working on the Toukiden Kiwami item finder chart database, I can confirm, in Multiplayer Phase 15: Frostbitten, Twice Shy, there's a chance for the Frostwing to drop Frostwing horn or Frostwing horns. I received both mutiple times doing that mission.

Finally after about 15-20 tries. I was beginning to wonder if you had to break all patrs before bezerk transformation or some rule to get a certain drop. The 1st 3 Frostwing horn I got, broke all parts before bezerk transformation. This time was different.

Jabba

Banned
Err....that's a myth. Placebo, a good one at that.

Resetting "RNG" wouldn't do much anyway. For myself when bathing, hardly, if ever does the game bestow higher value abilities. More often than not, if you bathe with an npc, you'll get the ability which has nothing to do with the weapon you want to use. Equip Naginta and bathe with Fugaku to get Flurry/Fire hook. (I use dual knives almost exclusively so no idea if Naginta has flurry) lol

Oni material drops take multiple tries just like any other mat/loot game. In no way am I advocating one and done hunting for said materials. "RNG" just is what it is.

What do you think Shengar?

Just started playing this - imported my savegame but I've decided to reset story progression so it's kinda funny how manhunter goes down in 2 minutes from 500 dmg weapons :D

What effect do mitama make on tenko ? Is there any consensus on which one take for it ?

maouvin

Just started playing this - imported my savegame but I've decided to reset story progression so it's kinda funny how manhunter goes down in 2 minutes from 500 dmg weapons :D

What effect do mitama make on tenko ? Is there any consensus on which one take for it ?

The Tenko can use any of the skills from that mitama - give him an atk one and it can cast might on you when you find him on the field, for example.

And I heard having a mitama of the same age as the one you send him out improves his chances to get rare items.

Jabba

Banned
I did not import AoD save data (for some reason I bought, but never actually played it) and I received the following in game:

- Angel Paws Outfit (Tenko)
- Yamato Outfit
- Horō Outfit
- Yamato Outfit White
- Rinne Outfit
- Hatsuho's Oni Mask
The message from 'Slayer HQ': "You have been awarded [Outfit] as a purchase bonus!"

PS4 EU/PAL disc version, I did not specifically pre-order the game, although I have had the game since Tuesday (24th)

I got those also and didn't import a save from demo or AoD. Have no idea why.

Shengar, I haven't seen anything like an actual Oni set, not to my knowledge, (I'll check) Do more quests and missions to open more up? Phase 17 is open but my playthrough has a lot of holes in the quest/mission structure.

Shengar

What do you think Shengar?
Yeah I think that what it is. Hunting action game where crafting too easy to be done will lose its charm real quick (though putting ridiculous RNG wall is much more annoying yes I'm looking at you Freedom Wars). While it seems ridiculous that all parts, minor part included can result in shit loot like Moan or Shard items, it's balanced by the fact that there isn't ultra rare loot like mantle items in MH.

What I don't like from the crafting is ridiculous amount of basic material needed for to craft armor, like 12 Royal Wishker for Thanatoceros armor set. Yeah it's a sure drop and you can received 1 extra from purifying oni's body, but still killing 12 same monster isn't a good prospect to look at.

But again, I have to kill 20 Shagaru Magala for one mantle, two times, so 12 doesn't look so bad.

maouvin

We're getting a paid ($0.99, cross-buy) mitama today. Skills as posted on gfaqs:

(SPC) Sugi Fumi
1. Verity (Lv. 1)
2. Recovery+ (Amplify)
3. Swordsmanship
4. Sanctum+ (Accuracy)
5. Paradox+ (Assist)
6. Zeal+ (Accuracy)
7. Verity (Lv. 3)
8. Vitality+ (Zone)
9. Paradox+ (Destroy)
10. Verity (Lv. 4)
11. Lowered Immunity
12. Charity

It's interesting for, uh, SPC verity builds I guess? But not $0.99 interesting.

Ogawa-san

Trying to sell mitamas for $0.99 each in a game with 300 of them is a little bit silly.

And they're again charging for stuff that was free for a while in JP. They could make a Ii Naotora costume and I wouldn't buy out of principle.

Shengar

We're getting a paid ($0.99, cross-buy) mitama today. Skills as posted on gfaqs:

Trying to sell mitamas for $0.99 each in a game with 300 of them is a little bit silly.

And they're again charging for stuff that was free for a while in JP. They could make a Ii Naotora costume and I wouldn't buy out of principle.

This kind of shit that what will make Capcom MH team infinitely better than you, KT.

Jabba

Banned
This kind of shit that what will make Capcom MH team infinitely better than you, KT.

Definitely dissapointing to see.

IIRC, ZhugeEX's KoeiTecmo thread showed their dlc strategies were profitable overall so they'll continue.

Shengar you may have missed my last question. You mentioned a Thanatocerous armor set? I haven't seen any. Shall I keep doing quests and phase missions to open up maybe more Oni sets? My phase is open to 17 but lotta holes in the completion department.

Shengar, I see it. Apologies but my grasp of games and what's going on isn't neary what it used to be. In my efforts/excitement to aquire said armors, I never really put two and two together to figure what some sets were. I just would go after the mats without realising it's, say, Cimmerian Queen armor. Ugh, anyway thank you. Because many don't have the exact name of the Oni slain for the mats it never dawned on me.

Shengar

Definitely dissapointing to see.

IIRC, ZhugeEX's KoeiTecmo thread showed their dlc strategies were profitable overall so they'll continue.

Shengar you may have missed my last question. You mentioned a Thanatocerous armor set? I haven't seen any. Shall I keep doing quests and phase missions to open up maybe more Oni sets? My phase is open to 17 but lotta holes in the completion department.
They give us some free DLC this time but selling Mitama is still pretty scummy.

The Expert Set or Ultimate Set? Regardless, you only need to fight a monster at least once to get its armor. Well most of the time. Try to fight it again, the name of the pieces is Fang Emperor.

Shengar

I'd prefer some avatar packs or vita theme.

Anyway does someone have some tips on how to best farm with secondary squad ?

At least if they want to sell mitama, make it a set of three or two at the very least with good combination bonus. Selling single mitama is scummy and worthless unless you're collecting the artwork.

I think second squad is completely random. Judging from their set skills, Yamato perhaps the best for collecting basic materials. Well collecting rare materials from second squad isn't reliable, they're mostly useful for the very basic one like since it's guaranteed they will get one and oftenly two. Like for example Royal Wishker, you need 12 of them to craft full set of Thanatoceros armor. With the Second Squad the farm is less tedious which is why it's such a shame that you can't send squad in multiplayer quests.

Been playing this for the last couple of days on the vita, really enjoying it so far. Never played AoD and have never played a MH game (well Freedom wars but that seems very different), so going into this fresh. 15 hours in, I'm halfway through chapter 3, go to a new mission and am greeted with this:

be7rUlk.jpg

Game looks and feels great on vita, first game I've played since getting my vita where I don't feel hampered by the controls. Plus the way missions are setup its perfect for my daily commute.

Anyway playing dual knives with a SPD / SUP Mitama atm. Always been a big fan of dual wield melee in MMOs, so its suiting me well. Haven't really looked anything up other than reading along this thread, actually enjoying not knowing absolutely everything about a game before playing for once.

Anyway hope everyone is still enjoying the game.

Shengar

Been playing this for the last couple of days on the vita, really enjoying it so far. Never played AoD and have never played a MH game (well Freedom wars but that seems very different), so going into this fresh. 15 hours in, I'm halfway through chapter 3, go to a new mission and am greeted with this:

Game looks and feels great on vita, first game I've played since getting my vita where I don't feel hampered by the controls. Plus the way missions are setup its perfect for my daily commute.

Anyway playing dual knives with a SPD / SUP Mitama atm. Always been a big fan of dual wield melee in MMOs, so its suiting me well. Haven't really looked anything up other than reading along this thread, actually enjoying not knowing absolutely everything about a game before playing for once.

Anyway hope everyone is still enjoying the game.
It's good to see you enjoying this game so far. Freedom Wars is different beast, but I'm still have putting it within the genre because it built on many of the fundamental aspect of it, only just Freedom Wars do a lot more mix-matching for its own formula.

I think presentation is one of the strongest point of the game. The environment is pretty, the music is fantastic, and both the onis and the village slayers are neatly designed. They look pretty on the PS4 even as an up-port Vita game, and glad it was built for Vita first since it'll keep the graphic quality for the handheld version.

EGOMON

Guys do we have a list for all forged weapons components?
I have the Mitama but I don't know which weapon goes with which Mitama

Shengar

Man, the club is ton of fun. Sure it kills stuff much longer than the rifle, but managing hyperstate and looking for the right timing for Devastator is much less tedious to do and infinitely more fun. Combined with SPC and Warp+ Accuracy, I think I'll gonna use club for a while now.
Guys do we have a list for all forged weapons components?
I have the Mitama but I don't know which weapon goes with which Mitama
Check this out

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tbxQdcy4RgZ4rljP5wfsTnQ/htmlview?pli=1#

Ogawa-san

I loved club during the demo.

For the final game all I could think was how far I'd throw my DS4 when fighting double cats/Phytodior.

game seems so much fun now im at Kiwami, building a team with pure damage makes it so much more fun

much like late game ssd, using armor fruit and damage buff, and going crazy

Shengar

I loved club during the demo.

For the final game all I could think was how far I'd throw my DS4 when fighting double cats/Phytodior.

Jesus Christ as if Red and Green Revisited isn't bad enough.

Also OGawa-san, which weapon do you choose for the weapon trophy?

Ogawa-san

I went with rifles. Naginata is a lot more fun but ranged is just too good for full/precise breakage.

I made all bows in the first game, but with the new weapon branches and whatnot and without a weapon tree in english it was easier to start over than trying to figure out exactly what I didn't have.

I went with rifles. Naginata is a lot more fun but ranged is just too good for full/precise breakage.

I made all bows in the first game, but with the new weapon branches and whatnot and without a weapon tree in english it was easier to start over than trying to figure out exactly what I didn't have.

How are guns compared to bows ? Maybe I should do a switch too since i spent 80 hours of playing first game using bows already :)

Also does anyone know how much haku you have to invest into shrine ?

Ogawa-san

Bows rely on setups, barring that Charge thing (that was fixed in Kiwami, I think) max damage comes from triggering Cursed Arrows in some way. Rifles are much more straigthforward, zerging a miasmal node with regular shots/Spirit Sniper SNP bullets does the job.

Spreading CAs and triggering them does a lot of damage, especially with a leech build that lets you spam Homing Arrows nonstop. But if you're trying to pinpoint a body part you'll have to work for it, also hyperactive oni can make hard sometimes to explode arrows before they expire. The only kind of oni that rifles don't work well against are those like Giaciabella with really close nodes and that move a lot, but they can be countered with EXP bullets anyway.

Shengar

I wished Nijima Yae have Devastation as her ultimate skill rather than SPT Master (Devote). Complete waste on my attack build but the other alternatives (Nobunaga and Yoshiteru) doesn't offer a much better alternative either.

Ok I've got no idea how you guys are able to play with guns - they are so clumsy and that reloading :D

Guess I'm gonna stay bow scrub due to how easy it is to break all parts on Oni with them.

Shengar

Ok I've got no idea how you guys are able to play with guns - they are so clumsy and that reloading :D

Guess I'm gonna stay bow scrub due to how easy it is to break all parts on Oni with them.

It is why Nijima Yae feels essential to my build. Regardless, once you know how to maneuvering around the demon, crouch, and shooting miasma pulse, it isn't bad.

Top Bottom