• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0n44m

the French at the finish couldn´t handle Thor smashing their dreams to bits according to Dutch commentary and were booing him when he came over the finish

they´re mostly silent now at the ceremony lol

kanugo

Tomorrow will be epic:

PROFIL.gif

Attacks are granted. I'm hoping to see some serious action starting in the climbing for Col d'Agnes.

It'll be the first serious test to Contador's condition. Don't forget he already won Giro this year.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Awesome win by Thor. As I said yesterday I love these type of stages you really get some great individual efforts.

I feel sorry for Roy, but that drag was just too much for him, at least he has won the mountains jersey.

Kabouter

kanugo said:
Tomorrow will be epic:

PROFIL.gif

Attacks are granted. I'm hoping to see some serious action starting in the climbing for Col d'Agnes.

It'll be the first serious test to Contador's condition. Don't forget he already won Giro this year.
That looks fantastic. Hopefully a lot of fighting for the GC there. Hopefully, Robert Gesink will have recovered a little and will be able to at least keep up, that'd do a lot for morale.

kanugo

I don't know about Gesink. He looked really tired in the last stages.

Today's stage - with nobody attacking on the peloton - made me think about Jalabert, Virenque, Pantani (RIP) and Ulrich. Those were epic stages.

Thor Hushovd winning a stage in the Pyrenees....... wtf!!! Awesome ride!

Tomorrow should be epic. It will be by far and away the most difficult stage so far and I would expect to see multiple changes in the General Classification by the end of the day.

Kabouter

kanugo said:
I don't know about Gesink. He looked really tired in the last stages.

Today's stage - with nobody attacking on the peloton - made me think about Jalabert, Virenque, Pantani (RIP) and Ulrich. Those were epic stages.
Yeah, definitely reminded me of those stages Virenque used to go for.
And I don't know about Gesink either, him losing time today, albeit very little, is sort of telling :/.

kch

Thor...what is there left to say. Amazing, really. So happy for my neighbour country.
And yer tomorrow should be quite a stage. Hoping the big 5 will put up a great show! (Conta, Schlecks, Cadel & Basso., imo)

Good job THOR!

Unforunately my fantasy tour team is underperforming... :/ UNLESS Contador whips it out and dazzles everybody with his climbing skills. Hope his knee is Ok again.

Tarazet

With Petacchi and Hushovd both attacking today, it reminds me of how Stuart O'Grady used to try to get rid of Erik Zabel in the high mountain stages. Wonderful to watch these brutes climb!

Kabouter

perryfarrell said:
Good job THOR!

Unforunately my fantasy tour team is underperforming... :/ UNLESS Contador whips it out and dazzles everybody with his climbing skills. Hope his knee is Ok again.
Haha, I can top that. I didn't even pick Fränk Schleck, who I suspect might win the yellow jersey this year haha.

Apparently parts of the first 2nd cat. climb are 17%!

I suspect Gesink won't bother about GC, just try to recoup some energy and attempt a breakaway later on when he feels better and is far enough down the GC no one will care to mark him.

Tarazet

bobnowhere said:
Apparently parts of the first 2nd cat. climb are 17%!

I suspect Gesink won't bother about GC, just try to recoup some energy and attempt a breakaway later on when he feels better and is far enough down the GC no one will care to mark him.

Yeah, the Col de Portet d'Aspet is a leg breaker. The Pyrenees are sharp and steep, which suits the attacking style of the Schlecks, and the Alps are long and gradual which favors the supreme aerobic capacity and high cadence of Contador. We can't write him off until the time trial is over, or he somehow loses 5 minutes.

Kabouter

Man, what a great win for Vanendert, was really cheering for him to not get caught by Sanchez again. And now he has both a stage and the polka dot jersey, totally deserved, what a great rider. Also made me think though, how bizarrely successful Lotto would have been had the, obviously in great form, Vandenbroeck not crashed out.

Other than that, of course Voeckler. I've said it many times, but I'll say it again, the peloton were idiots for letting him get the yellow in the first place, and they'll have to expend enormous amounts of energy to get him out of it. Voeckler today appeared stronger than pretty much anyone on the final climb, any time anyone dangerous tried to escape, he was there immediately, and at no point did he show signs of breaking.

A moral defeat especially for the Schlecks today I thought, trying again and again to break their competitors, but clearly being unable. Contador now has time to recover from his knee injuries, Evans just has to continue to avoid losing time, and then do what he does best in the time trial. The Schlecks are really going to have to step up their game in the Alps if they want to beat Evans (and Voeckler for that matter).

-MB-

I am really starting to think Dutch riders have the wrong mentality for succeeding in the Tour nowadays.

Seeing so many foreign riders step out of their comfort zone and excel at something they usually aren't known to be good in, whilst the Dutch ones don't seem to be able too.

Also Belgian young riders managing to cling on with the top riders, whilst ours finish 15 minutes later, is truly disheartening.
At least Rob Ruigh seems to be a pleasant suprise in all the malaise.
And Laurens ten Dam falling in a descent was horrible to watch. And to think he was the only one who could really keep up the pace, it's a shame.

Let's hope his injuries aren't too bad, and that he can start tomorrow.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
-MB- said:
I am really starting to think Dutch riders have the wrong mentality for succeeding in the Tour nowadays.

Seeing so many foreign riders step out of their comfort zone and excel at something they usually aren't known to be good in, whilst the Dutch ones don't seem to be able too.

Also Belgian young riders managing to cling on with the top riders, whilst ours finish 15 minutes later, is truly disheartening.
At least Rob Ruigh seems to be a pleasant suprise in all the malaise.
And Laurens ten Dam falling in a descent was horrible to watch. And to think he was the only one who could really keep up the pace, it's a shame.

Let's hope his injuries aren't too bad, and that he can start tomorrow.

Going to change my name to Rob Rough

Kabouter said:
Man, what a great win for Vanendert, was really cheering for him to not get caught by Sanchez again.

Yep, excellent job by Vanendert. A bit surprising he's that good at climbing, because he's not that short or that skinny. (I mean, he has a skinny upper body, but is not as rail thin as the Schleck bro's.)

Kabouter

Was an article in a paper today btw, Rabobank apparently has the highest budget in pro cycling, together with Katyusha. Both have a budget of €15M a year. The highest paid rider is, unsurprisingly, Alberto Contador with €4.5M, the Schlecks each earn a salary of €2M.

Have to say, it is rather disappointing that with such high budgets, both Katyusha and Rabobank offer such disappointing performances. With Rabobank it's a chronic thing too, they need some change in their leadership. Breukink has got to go, along with several others. Hire Bruyneel. Hire him now.

-MB- said:

I've been enjoying the riding by Vacansoleil more than the riding by Rabobank. They have people in breakaways (Westra, Hoogerland, that italian Marcato), a sprinter who got close to Cavendish a few times (Feillu), and now a decent climbing performance by Ruigh. They definitely are animating the race more than Rabo.

Tarazet

There have been some extremely successful teams this Tour I wouldn't have expected.

- FDJ very aggressive in breaks and collected a lot of top placings, hasn't paid off with a stage win but you don't hit the jackpot if you don't throw down your chips.
- Garmin-Cervelo won the TTT, held yellow for a long time with Hushovd, won a stage with Farrar, then another with Hushovd, and Danielson is 9th overall.
- Europcar is looking super united behind Voeckler, and Rolland has been amazing shepherding him along all the way to the end at Luz-Ardiden. They even have a close second in the teams competition to Leopard (5 seconds). This team is usually a bit of a joke, but they've been outstanding this go around.
- Omega Pharma-Lotto took the first yellow with Philippe Gilbert's win, then another with Greipel, and another today with Vanendert. Hugely successful Tour for a team that normally doesn't win a lot.

Kabouter

Tarazet said:
- Omega Pharma-Lotto took the first yellow with Philippe Gilbert's win, then another with Greipel, and another today with Vanendert. Hugely successful Tour for a team that normally doesn't win a lot.
Not to mention successful for a team that lost one of its top riders in Jurgen Vandenbroeck.

kanugo

A Cavendish win as expected. Now, prepare yourselves to the last and most awesome week in the race.

Tuesday:
PROFIL.gif

Wednesday:
PROFIL.gif

Thursday:
PROFIL.gif

Friday (You really don't want to lose this stage!!!):
PROFIL.gif

And to finish, an Individual Time Trial on Saturday:
PROFIL.gif

Kabouter

Can't wait for thursday, friday and saturday. Gonna be awesome!

Also, fuck the ASO for keeping the final stage a regular, and exceedingly boring, one. It should end with an individual TT through the streets of Paris. But I suppose they want the image of a bunch sprint in Paris on news media across the world.

ymmv

Banned
-MB- said:

If Belgium falls apart the Netherlands and Flanders should get back together again. That will save me from the embarrassment that when I hear about a win by a unknown (to me) cyclist with a Dutch surname 9 out of 10 he turns out to be Flemish.

Wes

venison crêpe
As I haven't really followed previous Tours with the amount of viewing time I'm devoting to this one, I have a question regarding the individual time trial.

I imagine of course the cyclists are staggered and it's a shorter distance but is there anything beyond that to stop one guy catching up/droping back/suffer a puncture and get in the slipstream of another rider? Or is the factor of the time between rider starts and overall distance enough to do the job?

Wes said:
Or is the factor of the time between rider starts and overall distance enough to do the job?

If you puncture in the individual TT, you're screwed, pretty much. And drafting is not allowed. There's probably some official rule that says the minimum distance one rider should keep to another. So you either pass them, or stay behind them with that minimum distance (but why would you).

Tarazet

Wes said:
As I haven't really followed previous Tours with the amount of viewing time I'm devoting to this one, I have a question regarding the individual time trial.

I imagine of course the cyclists are staggered and it's a shorter distance but is there anything beyond that to stop one guy catching up/droping back/suffer a puncture and get in the slipstream of another rider? Or is the factor of the time between rider starts and overall distance enough to do the job?

Cyclists routinely catch and pass each other, whether they start at 1 minute, 2 minute, or even 5 minute intervals. Generally, when that happens, it's because one of them is going a lot faster, and they aren't together for long. But there are rules in place to keep the passed rider from taking advantage of the slipstream. Some riders do respond to the "carrot" effect of having a rider in front of them, though, so sometimes they don't lose much more than that minute.

kch

Gonna miss the Friday stage duo to work...booo! But Thursday ought to be good as well with 3 hc climbs. Wowsers.
Only one week left of the summer highlight..time flies.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
kch said:
Gonna miss the Friday stage duo to work...booo! But Thursday ought to be good as well with 3 hc climbs. Wowsers.
Only one week left of the summer highlight..time flies.

Look at the height: >2500m. Insane.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Wes said:

You may not use the slipstream of other riders in the TT

Zakath

Neo Member
Stormy weather is announced for today in the Alps. Beware of the descent after the Col de Manse, some leaders (the Schlecks especially) could have a hard time arriving safely.
Moreover Voeckler is a good descender, so why not a little surprise again today.

kottila

Not sure you need to be a superclimber to follow up that category 2. if there's not a breakaway in front, this could be something for Gilbert, Rojas, Hushovd, Hagen, Petacchi etc.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Not sure you need to be a superclimber to follow up that category 2. if there's not a breakaway in front, this could be something for Gilbert, Rojas, Hushovd, Hagen, Petacchi etc.
Yeah, but there's going to be a breakaway, my money is on Chavanel.

Zakath

Neo Member
Anyway the descent will be something to watch for, since except for the first 2 km it's the same one as in the (in)famous episode Armstrong/Beloki in 2003. It's technical and sinuous, so if the weather is confirmed to be bad a lot of riders should be nervous, especially with the numerous crashes of the last weeks.

Daigoro

im excited for the rest of this week. got the rest of the week off, so i can tune in early.

im a casual Tour fan (just started watching about 2-3 years ago), but as soon as a new one starts and i begin to watch, i cant stop. its great stuff.

sprinting finishes are cool, but big climbs are the shit.

kottila

Another day where it's almost impossible to get in the breakaway. average speed over 50km/h for the first 50k with constant attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom