• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

koji said:
Andy is such a little whiny bitch, good thing Contador attacked yesterday, a real champion attacks. I hate to see them being so damn careful. Evans is going to win this tour but he doesn't have the "champion attitude" either...

Oh and respect for the Norwegians, Thor is in great shape, if he's in that shape in spring he can win the Belgian classics and Roubaix.
I don't watch much cycling, except the Tour de France, so my knowledge is lacking. What is a 'champion attitude'? Please bear in mind I already don't like Evans from what I have seen of him on local TV over the years in Australia, so I'm not attacking you, just curious.

kottila

Hoping for Evans now. It's his turn to shine. He's suffered alot in the mountain through the years, so I'd say he deserves a win.

-MB-

Tarazet said:
Evans is the top "favorite," but technically, Voeckler is the man to beat as long as he has a GC advantage. In my estimation, he will only fall out of yellow before the ITT if Rolland also has a bad day. That guy is sensational, and I'm sure that as long as Voeckler has him, he'll stay in yellow.

Dunno, this stage was the first time he "cracked" on the mountain somewhat too.
He couldn't keep up with Evans and Contador.
I suspect on the Aubisque or Alp hes going to crack for real.

koji

Dead Man said:
I don't watch much cycling, except the Tour de France, so my knowledge is lacking. What is a 'champion attitude'? Please bear in mind I already don't like Evans from what I have seen of him on local TV over the years in Australia, so I'm not attacking you, just curious.

The Champions of old, they attacked everyday, start of the stage, start of a climb, fuck it, they went. Now they all spend their time planning and thinking, making sure they don't waste any energy. Sure it's the smart thing to do, but it makes cycling so boring, did you see the tour last year? When they were all just eying each other for days. Sad stuff.

briekschot.jpg

"When I felt myself breaking I knew the others were hurting as well so I attacked."

Dead Man

koji said:
The Champions of old, they attacked everyday, start of the stage, start of a climb, fuck it, they went. Now they all spend their time planning and thinking, making sure they don't waste any energy. Sure it's the smart thing to do, but it makes cycling so boring, did you see the tour last year? When they were all just eying each other for days. Sad stuff.

briekschot.jpg

"When I felt myself breaking I knew the others were hurting as well so I attacked."
Yeah, that does sort of bug me about what I have been watching. It seems they are so busy trying to win with minimum effort that they might lose simply because they didn't try hard enough.

koji

Dead Man said:
Yeah, that does sort of bug me about what I have been watching. It seems they are so busy trying to win with minimum effort that they might lose simply because they didn't try hard enough.

Haha, yeah... you can't win the Tour without taking risks or hurting yourself...

Leonsito

This year Giro was fantastic in that regard, Contador attacked on each stage with a top finish, destroying everyone day after day.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Kabouter said:
Rob Ruijgh is going to come up from behind and make you eat those words!

Seriously though, Rob Ruijgh is awesome. Hopefully he keeps growing as a rider

Rob Ruijgh <3

Kabouter

Group ahead today:
Linus Gerdemann
Luis-Leon Sanchez
Rémy Di Gregorio
Rui Costa
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Geraint Thomas
Sandy Casar
Danilo Hondo
Tejay van Garderen
Thomas de Gendt

Looks like a pretty serious group there.

koji

Kabouter said:
Group ahead today:
Linus Gerdemann
Luis-Leon Sanchez
Rémy Di Gregorio
Rui Costa
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Geraint Thomas
Sandy Casar
Danilo Hondo
Tejay van Garderen
Thomas de Gendt

Looks like a pretty serious group there.

Time to turn on the livestream! Videofeed isn't live yet though.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tour de France contenders Frank and Andy Schleck have described the final descent of the 111-mile 17th stage to Pinerolo as "fatally dangerous".

"The final descent from the Pramartino pass is ridiculous. It's nothing but a track across a wood. The Pinerolo finish is ominous," the 2009 and 2010 Tour runner-up Andy said.

"I rode down this hill three times in training and I already found it too risky. It is fatally dangerous. It if rains, several riders will again end up in hospital."

So morbid of me that I can't wait to watch that descent.

kottila

Edvald Boasson Hagen (SKY), Perez Moreno (EUS), Tjallingii (RAB), Foforov (AST), Muraviev (RSH), Amador (MOV), Casar (FDJ), El Fares (COF), Leukemans (VCD), Hivert (SAU), Mollema (RAB), Paterski (LIQ), Chavanel (QST) and Bozic (VCD)

If this is another Norwegian day, I'll fly down to France tomorrow.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Edvald Boasson Hagen (SKY), Perez Moreno (EUS), Tjallingii (RAB), Foforov (AST), Muraviev (RSH), Amador (MOV), Casar (FDJ), El Fares (COF), Leukemans (VCD), Hivert (SAU), Mollema (RAB), Paterski (LIQ), Chavanel (QST) and Bozic (VCD)

If this is another Norwegian day, I'll fly down to France tomorrow.
:D
Hope for some Dutch success FINALLY though. We really really need some, hasn't been much this season in cycling, well, except for Marianne Vos winning basically everything in women's cycling.

kottila

Kabouter said:
:D
Hope for some Dutch success FINALLY though. We really really need some, hasn't been much this season in cycling, well, except for Marianne Vos winning basically everything in women's cycling.

Leukemans is Belgian and Mollema is Dutch right? mollema seems like a good climber, so he could have a chance. how is his finishing?

I'm going on holiday in Nice tomorrow, so I'll travel France no matter what

kottila

bobnowhere said:
Is there anyone actually in Norway at the moment? They all seem to be in France/Italy.

I'm here, but I'm going down tomorrow (won't watch the race though :(). This year, I know three familys going down to see the race live.

kottila

final climb now. Fofonov tried an attack, but is caught with 5km to the top. Ruben Perez still out in the lead, but he'll be caught soon. Bunch started the hill with a fall, but I don't think anyone important were caught in it

kottila

There goes Voeckler jumping into the same parking lot as that other guy. He'll lose at least 30s on that move. Schlecks are far behind Contador and Sanchez. Where is Evans??

Leonsito

Don't think there is too much gap between Contador and Samu and Evans-Schleck, but holy fuck, fantastic attack in the descent by both spanish guys.

Edit: Well, everyone regrouped at the end.

kottila said:
There goes Voeckler jumping into the same parking lot as that other guy. He'll lose at least 30s on that move. Schlecks are far behind Contador and Sanchez. Where is Evans??

I loved the reaction from the Norwegian commentators, it reminded me of IdrA vs MMA, going from jubilation to shock in a second.

Pachael

What the bloody hell it seemed at the last 1km Contador - Sanchez were 10-15s ahead and all of a sudden everybody else fights back lol

And DAT CARPARK

Kabouter

knitoe said:
How the hell did Contador and Sanchez got caught? They seem to be so far ahead.
You could see them looking back constantly, I figured the Schlecks were really really close. Tour coverage was just horrible. Norway this year has got to be the most successful country ever, two riders and four stage wins? Good lord.

Also: Most popular parking lot in the Tour de France, ever.

-MB-

With every new stage I am getting more and more p[issed at the utter fail that is dutch cycling.
HTH can a Norwegian sprinter outclass a dutch climber.
They must be using antidoping.

Leonsito

santi_yo said:
Worst Tour TV coverage ever. Period

Yeah, Samuel about to fall *QUICK! CUT TO THE LAST 900M of the lonely leader!!* and then keep the camera on the finish line for 3 minutes while all the favorites end the descent.

Kabouter

Leonsito said:
Yeah, Samuel about to fall *QUICK! CUT TO THE LAST 900M of the lonely leader!!* and then keep the camera on the finish line for 3 minutes while all the favorites end the descent.
Yes, that was incredibly awful. Who directs this shit?

-MB-

Leonsito said:

Maybe they hired a dutch cameraman.

kottila

-MB- said:
With every new stage I am getting more and more p[issed at the utter fail that is dutch cycling.
HTH can a Norwegian sprinter outclass a dutch climber.
They must be using antidoping.

Are you insane. Edvald is not a sprinter, he's a complete rider (except for climbing mountains). He wins hilly classics, time trials and sprints and he's known as one of the biggest talents in cycling for years

That's as ignorant as saying Thor Hushovd is a sprinter, even though he's completely changed as rider over the last years.

It was surprising when they finally cut back to Contador and Sanchez only to have Evans and Schleck with them. It was a WTF moment for me.

I don't think the gap between Contador/Sanchez and the rest was much more than 10-15s at any point, the coverage was pretty poor at showing this. Once they started working together they pulled the gap quite easily. Though Contador/Sanchez did seem to slow up a bit in the last km.

Bad luck to Voekler, I still think they need to break him if anyone else is to win. The yellow jersey can do strange things to a man at the end of three weeks of racing.

ElyrionX

The coverage was indeed terrible. Who gives a shit about who crosses the finish line in what order when Contador, Evans, Schleck and Sanchez are still slugging it out behind?

kottila

ElyrionX said:
The coverage was indeed terrible. Who gives a shit about who crosses the finish line in what order when Contador, Evans, Schleck and Sanchez are still slugging it out behind?
They could've done better at showing the gaps, but you always have to show respect to the stage winner.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
What a great win by Edvald for Team Sky. That really made up for yesterday.

Fair play to the Schlecks (mostly Frank) for coming back to the two Spaniards. Bad luck to Thomas but that's why descending is so special.

Another great stage in this years tour, a real improvement over the passive recent years.

The course designer deserves great credit for a very good route with lots of different finishes.

kch

Alrighty. 3 hc climbs today. Time to see who this year's winner of Tour de France will be? I doubt they will try to save the deciding attacks for tomorrow's stage, seeing how on the ball the favorites have been lately, attacking each other every chance they get.
Exciting hours ahead. I'm pumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom