• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respect to Cadel Evans, fighting for his life to nab that Maillot Jaune. It looks like Andy's incredible attack of a few days ago has taken too much out of him.

Omikron

Diprosalic said:
is this the last day of the tour? i have no idea about cycling but this seems fun right now.

2nd last, but the last day is very much a celebration rather than a full on race. Usually left to the sprinters at the end.

Leonsito

Diprosalic said:
is this the last day of the tour? i have no idea about cycling but this seems fun right now.

The last competitive stage, yes, for tradition last years tomorrow is only a homage stage.

Leonsito

Diprosalic said:
so you can't win the tour on the last day?

Normally the differences are huge for an attack to happen, but if the top two are very very close... I wouldn't discard and attack.

Edit: Evans has this, more than 1:30 diff.

Pacbois

Dead Man said:
Who supplies the yellow time trial jersies? Is it the teams or the organisers?

Probably the Organisers, all the special jerseys are nike's, whereas the teams got all their own sponsors (e.g. Adidas for Sky, Craft for Leopard)

SkylineRKR

I think you can, but it rarely happens if at all.

There is some sort of gentlemens agreement that the yellow jersey wearer in Paris is the winner of the Tour as well so no one will attack.

Evans deserves it this year, he performed lots of work in the mountains and wasn't behind the wheels that much. And this will be one of his final TdF's.

Keio

For a Finer World
To be honest I would have been happier to see the Tour settled in the Alps. A time trial decider - especially as Evans was in my opinion really conservative through the stages - just feels like a letdown.

SkylineRKR

Still an awesome result by Contador. In this day and age its almost impossible to win both a Giro and the Tour. The other top cyclists here purely focused on just the TdF.

Omikron

Awesome ride by Cadel, really deserves it 8)

Really has been a good tour though, respect to both Schlecks, Contador, Voeckler etc etc... some amazing racing.

Pachael

Allez Cadel. He fought alone, on the Alps, when Andy attacked two days back and after that mechanical problem yesterday.

Allez BMC, as they have provided wonderful support for Cadel through the Tour and never panicked in those problematic times in the Alps.

The third time's the charm, and Cadel has completed his TdF dream. Congrats - never thought he'd top his 2009 WC win but he has emphatically done so.

EDIT: Tweet from Lance @lancearmstrong: Congratulations to Cadel Evans. #thatwasademonstration

Yup, that was an emphatic TT.

Keio

For a Finer World
Really feel for Andy. He's again done everything right, but you also need luck to win the tour.

I can't bring myself to like the "power biking" style of Evans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom