• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

Kabouter said:
Christian Vandevelde hasn't fallen yet this year right?

Not yet, but he got caught behind the same crash that caught Contador and has almost 2 minutes to make up on Evans, Schleck, Kloden.

bjaelke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtqSRsVkBc

Evans pours water on Cavendish by "accident"
KuGsj.gif

kottila

Would be nice with a decent breakaway today of about 10-11 rides with a chance of going all the way. Having action in at least two groups makes the day more interesting

bjaelke

kottila said:
Don't know why the doctor let Horner finish the stage. When he comes to the finish line, he dosen't even remember the crash! http://t.co/UBR1XBJ
Oh that is very disturbing! Bruyneel confirmed that Horner is not starting today: https://twitter.com/#!/JohanBruyneel/status/89602235595624448

Kabouter

Okay group trying to break away (45 seconds) with:
Faria da Costa (MOV)
Riblon (who instigated the escape) (ALM)
Engels (QST)
El Fares (COF)
Gautier (EUC)
Kolobnev (KAT)
Zandio (SKY)
Zingle (COF)
Van Garderen (THR)

Being chased by three riders (names unknown), and the pack led by Vacansoleil who have an interest in hoping to maintain Johnny Hoogerland's polka dot jersey, which I doubt they'll succeed at today.

Edit: Chasing group caught, 30 seconds left for the 9 man break.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Boring breakaway, hope they're caught and someone else gets to go away.
Well, they've got two minutes, so clearly they've gotten the peloton's blessing. They're not getting caught until way down the line.

bjaelke

I'm sure they'll be caught when they get closer to the intermediate sprint. If the last stages are anything to go by, then they can lose up to 3 minutes just by the peleton setting a higher pace.

Kabouter

bjaelke said:
I'm sure they'll be caught when they get closer to the intermediate sprint. If the last stages are anything to go by, then they can lose up to 3 minutes just by the peleton setting a higher pace.
If the gap doesn't get bigger than it is now, I agree. We'll have to see what happens to the gap over the next 40km or so.

kottila

bjaelke said:

Don't think that will happen today. I think they'll just let them go. The teams will want to save their energy to the finish. The green jersey fight is not as important when the climbs start, but we'll see

Kabouter

Yeah, gap is up to 3m15s already, with the gap rising as fast as it is now, they're not getting caught until very late in the stage, if at all.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Evans is a weird wanker.

Wish coverage would start a bit earlier than usual over here, but what can you do.

bjaelke

Kabouter said:
Yeah, gap is up to 3m15s already, with the gap rising as fast as it is now, they're not getting caught until very late in the stage, if at all.
Well if the time went up that fast then they might not be interested in closing the gap right away. I just thought BMC were working harder.

kottila

Too bad about the new points for the polkadot.
Always liked the guy going in breakaways on every mountain stage to collect enough points. You almost have to be a part in the winners group to have a chance now

speedpop said:
Evans is a weird wanker.

You can say that again. In interviews he seems very demure & timid, almost like a pushover. But then you seen weird stuff like him accidentally throwing water on Cav...

Weird & definitely not normal.

bjaelke

Kabouter said:
As far as Dutch success goes, I just hope Gesink can avoid losing too much time, doubt he'll be doing much else than trying to prevent losing time given his fall earlier this week.
You jinxed it! Gesink dropped and trying to bridge on the descent.

Pacbois

bjaelke said:
Thor kept the yellow jersey. Very impressive by the Norwegian.

Gilbert was also excellent, he is really strong into that Tour de France.

Evans and BMC kinda missed the stage. Contador and Schleck were kinda even.

Would like to know how much Gesink has lost... :-(

Holland's hoop!

T_T

Edit: Turns out he's only 1:28 behind Hushovd. Which is not too bad. Hope Gesink heals up quickly and returns to form.

I can't believe Costa won that! I seriously thought all was lost when all mighty Vinokorouv attacked. WOO! So proud of him.

Kabouter

perryfarrell said:
Would like to know how much Gesink has lost... :-(

Holland's hoop!

T_T

Edit: Turns out he's only 1:28 behind Hushovd. Which is not too bad. Hope Gesink heals up quickly and returns to form.
Gesink gonna lose a lot more time tomorrow I fear, and after the finish today he was talking very clearly about wanting to give up, hopefully Breukink won't let him.

Kabouter

So today a new chance for riders like Voeckler, Chavanel and Txurukka to get a stage win if I had to guess.

So far though, only two ahead Westra (VCD) and Brutt (KAT)

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Kabouter said:
Gesink gonna lose a lot more time tomorrow I fear, and after the finish today he was talking very clearly about wanting to give up, hopefully Breukink won't let him.

Gesink is a born loser. He will never win a big tour. Look at him. He lacks charisma, guts and leadership.

Kabouter

Boozeroony said:
Gesink is a born loser. He will never win a big tour. Look at him. He lacks charisma, guts and leadership.
Well, I wouldn't put it that harshly, but he sure doesn't have that winning mentality, that will to win, that motivation to keep pushing even though the body won't let you. That's certainly one of the reasons he will probably never be a great cyclist like Contador or Andy Schleck.

bjaelke

Kabouter said:
So today a new chance for riders like Voeckler, Chavanel and Txurukka to get a stage win if I had to guess.

So far though, only two ahead Westra (VCD) and Brutt (KAT)
Chavanel still looks affected by his crash. Probably going to be a breakaway again today.

Kabouter

bjaelke said:
Chavanel still looks affected by his crash. Probably going to be a breakaway again today.
Yeah, wasn't too sure of him seeing him dropped so early yesterday, hopefully he's recovered a bit.

Surprisingly, the pack is all together right now.

Kabouter

Peloton is starting the first climb of the day, and Gesink is already in trouble at the back. This is the end of his TdF if I had to guess, he's not going to keep going if he gets dropped on the first of EIGHT climbs.

Voeckler first to the top of the first climb, followed by Hoogerland. 15 seconds ahead of the peloton, which has split in three now.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Kabouter said:
Peloton is starting the first climb of the day, and Gesink is already in trouble at the back. This is the end of his TdF if I had to guess, he's not going to keep going if he gets dropped on the first of EIGHT climbs.

Voeckler first to the top of the first climb, followed by Hoogerland. 15 seconds ahead of the peloton, which has split in three now.

I love Hoogerland. Looks like a great, funny guy.

Kabouter

Boozeroony said:
I love Hoogerland. Looks like a great, funny guy.
Yeah, Hoogerland is great, true attacking rider too, and I like that.

Group of six in the lead, looks like a good one:
Thomas Voeckler, Luis Leon Sanchez, Sandy Casar, Johnny Hoogerland, Juan Antonio Flecha and Nicki Terpstra.

Edit: Txurruka forced to give up after a crash :((. TdF loses a great attacking rider.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Kabouter said:
Yeah, Hoogerland is great, true attacking rider too, and I like that.

Group of six in the lead, looks like a good one:
Thomas Voeckler, Luis Leon Sanchez, Sandy Casar, Johnny Hoogerland, Juan Antonio Flecha and Nicki Terpstra.

Class group. LL Sanchez <3

Kabouter

Boozeroony said:
Class group. LL Sanchez <3
Yeah, absolutely. Doing well too, a lead of >4 minutes.
Not everyone doing that well though, apparently Coyot vomited at the back of the peloton, doubt he'll finish the stage when you consider they still have 140km to go, pretty much all either climbing or descending.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Voeckler only 1.30 behind the yellow. He's going for it today.
Can't imagine Garmin would let that happen, Voeckler's main objective is surely a stage win and probably also the polka dot jersey?

kottila

Can't blame him for trying. According to my numbers the gap has never been bigger than 3:51 and is 3:39 now, so they aren't letting them getting too far away.

bjaelke

kottila said:
Garmin and Lotto heading the pack, so Lotto will probably try to get another win for Gilbert.
Gilbert showed great legs yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried something today.

Finish:
y6RLh.jpg

kottila

i could see Evans getting one second on the last climb if he wanted. It's so steep, that Thor has to be on his back wheel at all times or else there will be a gap opening up.

2.50 gap now. They want to keep them close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom