• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Anthony Delaplace (Saur-Sojasun)
Marco Marcato (Vacansoleil)
Julien El Fares (Cofidis)
Arthur Vichot (FDJ)
Sébastien Minard (AG2R)
Rémy Di Gregorio (Astana)

almost 2min ahead, so thats the breakaway. Everyone is french except Marcato, who is Italian
Relatively uninteresting breakaway tbh, as those disproportionally French tend to be.

kottila

Kabouter said:
Relatively uninteresting breakaway tbh, as those disproportionally French tend to be.

Except for the French. I have RDG on my fantasy tour team, so he's my favorite in the breakaway. Hopefully HTC, Garmin, Lotto or Sky wants to win the stage or it will be a 3 hour snooze.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Except for the French. I have RDG on my fantasy tour team, so he's my favorite in the breakaway. Hopefully HTC, Garmin, Lotto or Sky wants to win the stage or it will be a 3 hour snooze.
Don't remind me of fantasy stuff, I participate in one for the regional paper (TC Tubantia), and, well, I've not picked well :D. You get points for the first 20 in every stage, and on the final day you get points for the first 20 in the GC (double points from the ones you get daily). And you get 10 points for every day one of your 20 wears the yellow. You lose 12 when a rider exits the TdF prematurely. I picked these:
Alberto Contador (48 points)
Andy Schleck (31 points)
Jose Joaquin Rojas (101 points)
Fabian Cancellara (3 points)
Samuel Sánchez (39 points)
Jurgen Vandenbroeck (34 points)
Philippe Gilbert (150 points)
André Greipel (49 points)
Robert Gesink (4 points)
Thor Hushovd (164 points)
Levi Leipheimer (4 points)
Bradley Wiggins (1 point)
Ben Swift (0 points)
Cadel Evans (112 points)
Tony Martin (25 points)
Mark Cavendish (77 points)
Damiano Cunego (38 points)
Alessandro Petacchi (26 points)
Roman Kreuziger (11 points)
Alexandre Vinokourov (14 points)
Total: 931 points

Three out. No Voeckler, no Feillu, no Farrar etc.
How I let a friend talk me into Ben Swift I also don't know.

bjaelke

Kabouter said:
Three out. No Voeckler, no Feillu, no Farrar etc.
How I let a friend talk me into Ben Swift I also don't know.
I'd hate to quote myself but:

bjaelke said:
I'd probably go with Thomas Voeckler and Sylvian Chavanel. They're competent riders and often participate in breakaways + they're on home soil. I Wouldn't be surprised if they finished in the top 5 on several stages and maybe even bagged a stage victory or two. You could replace them with Tony Martin (will disappoint in the third week) and Ben Swift. Otherwise it looks like a solid list. Maybe a bit concerned about Cavendish finishing in green given the new points system.
my fantasy team is doing worse

kottila

Ours is more complicated with all cylcists having specific roles and you need a certain number of each type, you have a total sum of "money" you can use and you can substitute before each leg. I didn't spend much time on it, so I'm lucky if I'm top 15 000 out of 30 000 participants

kch

Fantasy leagues make me cry. I don't have enough time / will to gather info about rider form e.t.c, so I always go with my gut and hope for the best. Never works out :)
My picks for this tour:

Andy SCHLECK
Cadel EVANS
Damiano CUNEGO
Juan Manuel GARATE
Tyler FARRAR
Paolo TIRALONGO
Jérôme PINEAU
Fabian CANCELLARA
Nicki SÖRENSEN

Wish I had Gilbert instead of Cancellara.

Hanmik

answer me this...

whenever we see some towns or special places on TV they write the name of the town/place and then a number like this (made up name) Mont Blac (21) ... wtf does the number represent..?

Kabouter

bjaelke said:
I'd hate to quote myself but:

my fantasy team is doing worse
Haha, you were right, absolutely. I had changed it, but then the friend I spoke of convinced me to switch the two out for eachother :{

kottila

Hanmik said:
answer me this...

whenever we see some towns or special places on TV they write the name of the town/place and then a number like this (made up name) Mont Blac (21) ... wtf does the number represent..?

I think
It's the number of the arrondissement (county) in France.

kottila

bjaelke said:
Correct. I think they're called departments.

Just read the wikipedia and departements are subdivided in to arrondissements. Not sure whisch one the number refers to though. but if the number is higher than 101, that means it has to be arrondissements

Hanmik

kottila said:
Just read the wikipedia and departements are subdivided in to arrondissements. Not sure whisch one the number refers to though. but if the number is higher than 101, that means it has to be arrondissements

ahh thank you guys.. guess it´s a little like districts then. The numbers just irritated me.. could not see any logic behind them. Thought about height from sea-level, number of the city/town they drive through.. but the numbers were just to random..

so thanks for the info.

Kurtofan

kottila said:
Arrondissements aren't numbered, this is the departement 's number.

ahh thank you guys.. guess it´s a little like districts then. The numbers just irritated me.. could not see any logic behind them. Thought about height from sea-level, number of the city/town they drive through.. but the numbers were just to random..

so thanks for the info.
Departements are in alphabetical order, except for Paris region and a few other.

Hanmik

bjaelke said:
He has to make the most of it. He can only hold it for another two stages, so he wants to die with his boots on.

yeah I know.. it was clear from the way they led.. only Gilbert and Voeckler doing some work,,, Gilbert has been the man of the Tour for me..

Kabouter

lol @ Gilbert going at it alone, love this, one vs. all :D
He won't make it of course though.

Edit: Why is BMC still going?

Kafel

Banned
Damn I can't watch it.

Are Europcar and Voeckler worried about Gilbert being able to grab the yellow jersey now ?

Kabouter

Awesome win :D
That was a serious sprint by Greipel, though admittedly a fairly weak one by Cavendish. Figures because lots of his guys were dropped because of Gilbert's actions. Gilbert played a huge part in his teammate's victory here.

Hanmik

Kabouter said:
Awesome win :D
That was a serious sprint by Greipel, though admittedly a fairly weak one by Cavendish. Figures because lots of his guys were dropped because of Gilbert's actions. Gilbert played a huge part in his teammate's victory here.

Yeah.. you saw Gilbert celebrating when he crossed the finish line.. good work from him.

Tarazet

Tarazet said:
This has been a pretty amazing start to the Tour. Even though we've had a few crashes that wound up shaping the GC, it's actually been less dangerous than in years past. There used to routinely be a GC contender or two breaking their shoulder in the first couple of days (see Frank Schleck last year or Christian Vandevelde every year). But it's also been more exciting.

I cursed it.

Kabouter

Not a spectacular group ahead again today, Perez Moreno, Boom, Grivko, Delage, Valentin, Engoulvent. 2m30 ahead.

Also, what the hell?

Oh, and I want this shirt:
344567578fk2g.jpg

kottila

Kabouter said:
Not a spectacular group ahead again today, Perez Moreno, Boom, Grivko, Delage, Valentin, Engoulvent. 2m30 ahead.

With all the contenders out, alot of the rest of teams talked about how they now had many free riders going for stagewins, but I haven't seen any sign of them sendig more "exciting" people in the breakaways. Everyone is just waiting for the mountains and letting HTC/Lotto control everything

bjaelke

I imagine we'll see a lot of strong riders in the breakaway on Friday. Stage 16 and 17 are also suited for those strong riders just outside the GC.

kottila

Another day, another Cav, now in a green jersey. Would be exciting to see Lotto setting the pace so high in the mountain stages to make him fall behind the time limt.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So can anyone give me a quick breakdown of the rules in the Tour de France? I've watched a couple of the stages so far but am confused about the significance of certain factors. For instance, how does the event reward individuals and teams as a whole? What's the importance of winning a stage? How is the overall winner determined? And other general rulings.

Kabouter

kottila said:
Another day, another Cav, now in a green jersey. Would be exciting to see Lotto setting the pace so high in the mountain stages to make him fall behind the time limt.
If that happened, it wouldn't just be Cav. It'd be Cav in a huge groupetto. Meaning the organization would not kick any of them out.

kottila

MrOogieBoogie said:
So can anyone give me a quick breakdown of the rules in the Tour de France? I've watched a couple of the stages so far but am confused about the significance of certain factors. For instance, how does the event reward individuals and teams as a whole? What's the importance of winning a stage? How is the overall winner determined? And other general rulings.

All stages are like mini-races were the winner receives money, honor and points in the overall ProTour-ranking.
There is also a points jersey in the Tour with points being handed out to the top 20-30 of each stage plus at the intermediate sprint.
There is a seperate competition for the best climber with points being awarded for the first to cross hills/mountains.

The one with the best total time of all stages is the overall winner. Those that compete to be the overall winner usually stay in the big pack,watched by their teammates, during non-mountain stages to save energy and stay away from drama.

(there's also a team competition for the best overall time, where top 3 for each team on each stage counts)

Get hype! The tour stars for real today!

Always love the first stage of the Pyrenees, it seperates the men from the boys. Time for the sprinters to fall back and let the big boys take centre stage.

Cadel Evans has looked the strongest of the contenders thus far, but with Contador already some way behind, I'm expecting to see an attack from him on the final High Climb later in the day. No doubt Andy Schleck will be glued to his back wheel for the duration of the day too.

I've always thought Schleck has the potential to win the tour, but thus far, I've never really seen him attack a stage and get significantly ahead of Contador. IMO, if he wants to win, he's going to need to show some guts at some point in the mountains. Today will be too early for him to show his hand though, I'm sure he'll wait until later in the tour.

Also, I don't know if any of you have ever tried to ride one of these high climbs in real life, but I can tell you they are absolutely frightening. The gradient is sometimes so steep that if you stop pedalling, you'll start rolling back down the road, even with the brakes on. It's truly incredible that the riders can take on so many climbs and at such a pace over the course of the 3 weeks.

Finally, although it's still a few days away, I think the tour this year will ultimately be settled on stage 19, the legendary climb to Alpe-d'Huez. For me, a Tour de France can only be considered a real tour if that stage is included. I can still remember some of Marco Pantani's incredible rides up that mountain in years gone by. Fond memories!

They've really taken a long time to get to the real mountains this time around. I'd love to see Cadel win, but I think the Schleks are now the real threat. They have both lost a little bit of time here and there, but as comfortable as Evans has been, neither Schlek as been troubled either.

Contador doesn't look quite right, maybe the crashes have gotten to him or maybe the Giro or the drawn out drug drama, but it just doesn't look as easy to him as it has in the past. Of course he could easily take 5 minutes off the field without raising a sweat and prove me completely wrong.

I'm picking the Schleks to run 1-2 at the end with either Evans or Contador 3rd. I can't see anyone else really challenging for the yellow. Though I do hope Voekler remains in yellow for at least one more day!

kottila

Feillu has withdrawn with knee problems according to his teams twitter.

Looking forward to seeing how Contadors knee will hold up. He hasn't looked that good so far, but he's claiming it's better know. I'm sure the Schlecks will test him a couple of times up tourmalet. Hopefully the favorites won't just look at eachother untill they reach Luz-ardiden

Hanmik

kottila said:
Feillu has withdrawn with knee problems according to his teams twitter.

Looking forward to seeing how Contadors knee will hold up. He hasn't looked that good so far, but he's claiming it's better know. I'm sure the Schlecks will test him a couple of times up tourmalet. Hopefully the favorites won't just look at eachother untill they reach Luz-ardiden

what do you mean by Contador not looking to good..? he almost won a stage.. one of the earliest stages in the race.. that´s normally not something he tries to go for. Andy Schleck hasn´t showed anything yet.. and I think that is because he has nothing to show. He does not look as good as last year. He lacks determination and will.. but maybe he is just putting up a facade..

I´m so fucking freaking exciting about the stages that are starting today..If Jacob Fuglsang is feeling better with his back (he complained about back problems earlier on, when he lost time on Thor in the yellow jersey), I predict he will be going for a win today. I really hope so. I long to see a good danish performance again..

kottila

Hanmik said:
what do you mean by Contador not looking to good..? he almost won a stage.. one of the earliest stages in the race.. that´s normally not something he tries to go for. Andy Schleck hasn´t showed anything yet.. and I think that is because he has nothing to show. He does not look as good as last year. He lacks determination and will.. but maybe he is just putting up a facade..

I´m so fucking freaking exciting about the stages that are starting today..If Jacob Fuglsang is feeling better with his back (he complained about back problems earlier on, when he lost time on Thor in the yeallow jersey), I predict he will be going for a win today. I really hope so. I long to see a good danish performance again..

He's had a swelling knee since he went down on stage 5 and hit the same knee when he went down on the 9th. but according to him it's better know, but who knows how it will respond to climbing mountains.

729x.jpg

kottila

Todays breakaway.

Geraint Thomas (Sky)
Laurent Mangel (Saur - Sojasun)
Ruben Pérez (Euskaltel)
José Ivan Gutierrez (Movistar)
Blel Kadri (Ag2R)
Jermey Roy (FDJ)

Thomas is closest to yellow, but still 5.51 behind Voeckler

Status
Not open for further replies.