• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Town puts Punisher emblem, ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp.

An Eastern Kentucky police department has drawn praise from local residents and questions from others in the commonwealth for featuring the phrase “Blue Lives Matter” and the Punisher skull on eight of its vehicles.

The Catlettsburg Police department, which employs eight full-time and two part-time officers for a population of about 2,500, features the images on the hoods of its 2013 and 2017 Ford Interceptor sedans and sport-utility vehicles, assistant police chief Gerry Hatzel said.

The designs were spearheaded by Police Chief Cameron Logan, who worked with a vinyl decal shop in Louisiana to get the decals printed. Logan installed the decals on all the police vehicles in December. He would not discuss how much the decals cost.

“That design is basically to give back to the police officers,” said Logan, who has been with the department for 13 years. “Our lives matter just as much as anybody’s. ... I’m not racist or anything like that, I’m not trying to stir anything up like that. I consider it to be a ‘warrior logo.’ Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter. That decal represents that we will take any means necessary to keep our community safe.”

Overdoses and drug-related crimes have been on the rise, the chief said.

The city council and Mayor Randall Peterman approved the designs, Logan said. The Herald-Leader unsuccessfully sought comment from the mayor.

Richard “Andy” Brown, 37, who was elected to the six-person council after its vote on the decals, was critical of the move.

“I don’t see why they’d waste the money, honestly,” said Brown, a Catlettsburg native whose family owns the IGA grocery in town. “My main objective is to make sure the taxpayers’ money is used in the most efficient way possible. It wasn’t expensive, but still. If it’s something they feel strongly about, they’re risking their lives and I understand that. I just think it’s a little bit strange. There’s been a lot of people mistreated by police, and their lives matter, too, like that guy in North Carolina.”

The shooting Brown referred to was of Keith Lamont Scott, 43, in September 2016 by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer.

Central to the decals is the Punisher, the nom de guerre of the Marvel anti-hero Frank Castle, a former Force Reconnaissance Marine and Vietnam War veteran who doles out justice “using torture, murder and kidnapping in his anti-crime crusade,” according to Time Magazine. The logo has been unofficially used by military units and was popularized in the award-winning film “American Sniper.”

More at the link.

If you needed more sort of disturbing info.

punishercar3
What the hell?

tbm24

They carry around a gun and the license to kill and not be questioned, but are as insecure as our president.

smisk

Ehh, this is dumb but I think there are more important things to get angry about, so I'll let em have it.

Lkr

He's not racist though so it's okay

“That design is basically to give back to the police officers,” said Logan, who has been with the department for 13 years. “Our lives matter just as much as anybody’s. ... I’m not racist or anything like that, I’m not trying to stir anything up like that. I consider it to be a ‘warrior logo.’ Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter. That decal represents that we will take any means necessary to keep our co

HvySky

United States' most dangerous gang now has their own official logo. Not even trying to hide their shittiness at this point.

“That design is basically to give back to the police officers,” said Logan, who has been with the department for 13 years. “Our lives matter just as much as anybody’s. ... I’m not racist or anything like that, I’m not trying to stir anything up like that. I consider it to be a ‘warrior logo.’ Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter. That decal represents that we will take any means necessary to keep our community safe.”
PUNISHER. He PUNISHES.

What manner of incomprehensible thought process would allow anyone to believe this logo represents their beliefs?

Derwind

I like it when police remind you that they will mete justice out on you vigilante style any chance they'll get.

Makes it awfully clear where I stand.

Maybe they don't know where it's from?....... Because it's really funny that they would use the symbol of the guy that kills cops......

Even if they don't know anything about the character associated with the symbol, which they obviously don't, why would you pick a grim, tattered, generally scary looking skull to put on your cruisers? You might as well get some decals of the Flayed Man symbol from Game of Thrones made for the rest of the cruisers.

Alucrid

Banned
“I think it’s a good thing,” Allen said. “I think all lives matter. Nothing to do with color. Black lives, yellow lives, red lives, whatever color of your skin. To God, every human being has a soul and we matter to God and we matter to each other.”

Photos of the Catlettsburg police cars were positively featured on the Kentucky Going Blue’s Facebook page, but on Reddit’s Kentucky community, the response was more critical. Reddit users questioned the legality of the decals and whether the Punisher was “a really poorly thought-out message for a law enforcement agency to be putting out there.”

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article134722264.html#storylink=cpy

yellow lives and red lives ya'll

Slayven

Never been a fan of the punisher, always feel people take away the wrong things from the character

Why are people so fragile that the mere thought of black lives having worth puts them on the defensive

The car, the lights, the gun, the shotgun, the taser and the generally shitty attitude of cops just wasn't intimidating enough so we had to put a goddamn skull on the hood just to really get the message across.

Matty77

Can marvel sue? More importantly would they( or Disney)?

Something about people that already way overstep the bounds of what they should be able to do, on the taxpayers dime no less, having decals of a fictional murderer juxtaposed with "blue lives matter" which is blatantly dismissive and tone deaf at best, straight racist at worst really doesn't sit well with me as a tax paying and voting citizen of the U.S.A.

And I don't care what town it is in what state, shouldn't be allowed.

Ponn

Banned
Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter.

Hmm...you don't say. I assume they are in full support of Black Lives Matter too then obviously getting the point of what BLM is trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom