• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Town puts Punisher emblem, ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take "Tone Deaf" for $1,000, Alex.

Right? Why would you pick a skull regardless of the connotation with violent, psychopathic characters like the punisher? A lost child is totally going to feel comfortable approaching the skull car.

nazi%20skull%20hat.jpeg

This is a stretch not even Mr. Fantastic could do.

I encourage more of mainstream America to be honest like this. Rather this truth than the bullshit about tolerance and respect for others.

And don't get me wrong it's be nice but that's not the truth of it. It's like pissing in someone's face and calling it rain. Just call it what it is.

Skilletor

These people don't understand that the punisher is an anti-hero and it makes them look bad huh?

I think people need to stop acting like the cops didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Just like people in the past couple racism threads need to stop acting like it's satire.

It's exactly what it looks like. They know what they're doing. Nothing else.

Funny they use the Punisher emblem, when Punisher is the type of guy that would go after crooked folk, be them on the streets, behind the badge or in penthouses. If you are a piece of shit, your ass is his. It is kinda like that thread about Duterte being likened to the Punisher, nah, Duterte is the kinda guy the Punisher would turn into street pizza.

akira28

Never been a fan of the punisher, always feel people take away the wrong things from the character

Why are people so fragile that the mere thought of black lives having worth puts them on the defensive

its probably more what it leads to than the mere thought itself. They know that the status quo has been the opposite for so long that change is going to come no matter what, and they don't think they'll like what change looks like.

So they lash out violently. Conceptual violence, 'round em up and send em...somewhere'. violent words, 'take back our country, white genocide, save our white families'. violent actions, like shooting up a church full of elderly black people.

If black lives, if brown lives were to have value, then with value comes the consequences that racist white america has been able to avoid for so long. Inherent responsibilities that they have been able to shun, or pawn off on people that conveniently died a hundred years ago.

I've always loved Frank though. Mainly from what I got from him, I guess.

Trace

Banned
Of all the fucking logos...

These people do understand who The Punisher is right?

To quote wikipedia:

The Punisher is a vigilante who employs murder, kidnapping, extortion, coercion, threats of violence, and torture in his war on crime.

nullref

“That design is basically to give back to the police officers,” said Logan, who has been with the department for 13 years. “Our lives matter just as much as anybody’s. ... I’m not racist or anything like that, I’m not trying to stir anything up like that. I consider it to be a ‘warrior logo.’ Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter. That decal represents that we will take any means necessary to keep our community safe

That's a pretty wrong (and dangerous) attitude to have toward law enforcement and community policing.

The Punisher is a vigilante who kills with impunity and ignores the law while enforcing it on those he considers undesirables.

So I guess its use here is appropriate.

I consider it to be a ‘warrior logo.’ Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter. That decal represents that we will take any means necessary to keep our community safe.

Great mindset to have for a police officer....

Talk about a false narrative. The US public has always valued cop lives. And quit fucking trying to turn a profession into a racial class.

I live in Kentucky(admittedly in an urban more liberal bubble city) but I had never heard of Catlettsburg. I looked it up and there are about 1,960 people there and 1.12% are African American. That means about 22 black people live there. Even if BLM was the buggyman these people believe, black people are basically an endangered species there. Who are they standing up against? These cops are delusional. They need to come back to reality or be replaced. I would be afraid to live in that town, especially if there are only 21 other black people there.
We're always on these assholes minds, even when we're not even part of their day to day interactions.

segasonic

Of all the fucking logos...

These people do understand who The Punisher is right?

To quote wikipedia:

The Punisher is a vigilante who employs murder, kidnapping, extortion, coercion, threats of violence, and torture in his war on crime.
I think they understand very well...

zabuni

I live in Kentucky(admittedly in an urban more liberal bubble city) but I had never heard of Catlettsburg. I looked it up and there are about 1,960 people there and 1.12% are African American. That means about 22 black people live there. Even if BLM was the buggyman these people believe, black people are basically an endangered species there. Who are they standing up against? These cops are delusional. They need to come back to reality or be replaced. I would be afraid to live in that town, especially if there are only 21 other black people there.

I lived in a part of the South with similar demographics. I called it invisible pink unicorn racism. When I was a kid, when neighbors were riled up and yelling about black people, I'd ask "What was wrong with the Johnsons?" Because they were the only black family I could think of, and they seemed nice. They might as well have been complaining about invisible pink unicorns crapping on their lawns.

As far as I can tell, it's a combination of right wing TV and radio, and that the rest of the media looks less and less like them every year. Fox News stirs them up, and when they watch or read anything, like sitcoms or movies or even the president, and they see an America that doesn't look like them, talk like them, or act like them. And that makes them mad, because they thought they were America.

TheShocker

Punisher logo is very popular and often affiliated with Police and Military. I don't think they know where it actually comes from... When I do buy apparel I have people always ask me if I want the punisher logo on it. I'm always like... "Uhh... no thanks."

On topic, chief just ordered the logos be removed. I don't think he knew where it came from either.
http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/k...emoves-blue-lives-matter-decals-from-cruisers
I never get anything with the punisher or spartan logo. I always think its cheesy. I also don't wear anything police related outside of work.

TheJLC

I never get anything with the punisher or spartan logo. I always think its cheesy. I also don't wear anything police related outside of work.

Yeah, they are cheesy.

I only buy some gear that goes and supports the families of fallen LEOs. only wear it for charity events that we hold over here that also support the families of fallen/ injured LEOs.

Glix

I wonder how a car full of black dudes with punisher logos painted on it would fare in this town.

I am not a cop hater, but I get very tired of them wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

We know you work a dangerous gig. And there are rewards built into the job to accomodate for that. There are people who work statistically more dangerous jobs who dont get a fraction of the benefits.

And when, tragically, one of them passes in the line of duty, their sacrifice is acknowledged and the are given a heros send off.

So I get immediately distristful and frustrated when Blue Lives Matter is invoked. The vast majority of people agree and already feel this way. Who are you trying to convince?

Body cams and better de-escalation training don't make you less safe, they make your more safe. Why would you say Blue Lives Matter to me, when I am advocating for measures that would make you safer?

How can you tell me with a straight face, in regards to stop and frisk, that "if you arent doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about", and then object to body cams?

I don't want to distrust police! I don't want to have to demonstrate against them! But... I truly dont have that luxury. They leave me no choice.

Punisher logo is very popular and often affiliated with Police and Military. I don't think they know where it actually comes from... When I do buy apparel I have people always ask me if I want the punisher logo on it. I'm always like... "Uhh... no thanks."

On topic, chief just ordered the logos be removed. I don't think he knew where it came from either.
http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/k...emoves-blue-lives-matter-decals-from-cruisers

One has to wonder:

1.) Why these officers -- protectors of a 2,500 resident, lilly-white city -- believe they need to envision themselves as The Punisher. The Judge Dredd character who assumes all power over all situations. What's up with the power fantasy? Are they under constant attack here? Cities this size, everyone knows everyone else. Where's the threat, really? Do they dream of shootouts like they see in da movies?

2.) Why they believe they're under so much threat from minorities (presumably?) that they needed to co-opt the cry of minorities that their lives matter just as much as anyone else's, as if the lives of officers aren't already highly valued in all communities? Why do these officers and small lilly-white communities

The racial makeup of the city was 98.16% White, 1.12% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.05% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.10% of the population. (link)

Act like they're barely holding back a tidal wave of negroes, spanish-speakers, asians and muslisms who would otherwise take over their poor (median income is $24k) cities?

Slayven

i mean the point of the punisher is that he's a crazy person who kills for the sake of it, not out of any sense of justice

Yeah he is so consumed with vengeance that he stop being a functional human being. He shoots people in the face then goes and cry in his van down by the river.

Yeah he is so consumed with vengeance that he stop being a functional human being. He shoots people in the face then goes and cry in his van down by the river.

Ya'll too deep. Your average person thinks of The Punisher as one or all of the following:

1.) Badass.
2.) Takes no prisoners.
3.) Don't want to hear the excuses.
4.) Payback god.
5.) Judge, jury, executioner.
6.) Might get punched if you look at him disrespectfully.
7.) Big guns
8.) Permanent plot armor. Scumbags can't kill him.
9.) You may start something, but he'll finish it and I will win.
10.) Takes whatever you can throw at him and keeps comin.

Basically an edgier variant of Judge Dredd. Most people neither read comics nor give a shit about his demons or inner conflicts. The surface is all that is needed, as these are shallow, surface people in the first place.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
The ”Blue Lives Matter" movement unofficially began in December 2014 after two New York Police Department officers were shot and killed ”by a fanatic who believed the lies of Black Lives Matter, the media, and politicians," states Bluelivesmatter.blue, a media company founded by active and retired officers. The movement has since been embraced by President Donald Trump and has been used to describe a series of bills in Mississippi and Kentucky that would label crimes against police officers as hate crimes.

Kentucky's ”Blue Lives Matter" legislation is House Bill 14. The bill passed in Kentucky's House on Feb. 13 after Donna Mayfield, R-Winchester, was called a racist by Black Lives Matter protesters angry over her support of the legislation. Louisiana became the first state to pass a ”Blue Lives Matter" bill in May 2016.

The police would become a protected class, I shit you not. Attacking an officer would be labeled a hate crime, which would result in harsher penalties than "assaulting an officer" already brings.

these people who adore punisher probably never read the comic's and never will but his whole struggle against crime is one that he forged himself
by sacrificing his family to some entity
in the pursuit of an endless war where he could just keep killing forever, he only goes after criminals because people are less likely to stop him

honestly I like punisher as a character but people who idolise him gotta step back and realise he's a fuckin loony

Again, even if they didn't know this was the Punisher's emblem it's equally disturbing.

Because then they just put a goddamn SKULL on their police cars.

Happy Black History Month, everyone...
Again, even if they didn't know this was the Punisher's emblem it's equally disturbing.

Because then they just put a goddamn SKULL on their police cars.
Like, yeah, that by itself should be terrifying. Their whole job is about, or at least it's supposed to be about avoiding death and killing people as much as possible. Putting a skull on their police cars is sending the message that they view it as the exact opposite: that their job is to rack up as high kill-counts as possible or some shit. That they think that that is an okay message to convey and broadcast loud and clear is super insane and it just encapsulates so much of how messed up things things are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom