• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Town puts Punisher emblem, ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwind

Hmm...you don't say. I assume they are in full support of Black Lives Matter too then obviously getting the point of what BLM is trying to do?

Oh shit, that's right.... hahaha...

Took a second for the irony to dawn on me.

transformer+cop.jpg

Can marvel sue? More importantly would they( or Disney)?

Something about people that already way overstep the bounds of what they should be able to do, on the taxpayers dime no less, having decals of a fictional murderer juxtaposed with "blue lives matter" which is blatantly dismissive and tone deaf at best, straight racist at worst really doesn't sit well with me as a tax paying and voting citizen of the U.S.A.

And I don't care what town it is in what state, shouldn't be allowed.
Yes, they can sue. It's trademarked IIRC.

I doubt the Punisher connection was intentional but America is fucking scary. A goddamn skull logo on police cars... For real, what the hell?

The Punisher is the vigilante who murders people on a whim. How can they not see the implications

I dunno, seems the end purpose is the same. Taking down bad dudes. So what if they bend a couple of rules in the process? Means to an end and all that
Punisher Wiki said:
The Punisher is a vigilante who employs murder, kidnapping, extortion, coercion, threats of violence, and torture in his war on crime.

I doubt the Punisher connection was intentional but America is fucking scary. A goddamn skull logo on police cars... For real, what the hell?

Na, they did it deliberately for sure. Haven't people in the US Army used the logo as a patch or something? Although that connotation makes a little more sense.

I dunno, seems the end purpose is the same. Taking down bad dudes. So what if they bend a couple of rules in the process? Means to an end and all that

I'll assume I'm just too tired and misreading this post :/

Not sure what you mean, it is the exact punisher logo
He's saying the chief probably doesn't know shit about the Punisher, he probably just said "wow skull so cool," which is still a weird decision when you're deciding what giant symbol you want on your squad cars

The Punisher has always been seen as a "hero" to a lot of gun owners, army vets, and police officers. It's even more disturbing when soldiers idolize him.

Fisty

"Lets associate our department with a merciless, cold-blooded vigilante that indiscriminately kills and tortures people he perceives to be a threat"

Sounds like a cop, yep

The punisher skull has been used by law enforcement for several years. The connection is not unintentional at all.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not American and not particularly informed on this subject matter. I guess I naively thought they just searched for a "cool" skull logo without really knowing where it came from.

This is from the article quoted in the OP:
The logo has been unofficially used by military units and was popularized in the award-winning film ”American Sniper."

So, genuine question: is that really an open and completely intentional reference to the Punisher (I haven't seen American Sniper) and if so, why isn't Marvel suing everyone?

Iksenpets

Banned
That design is basically to give back to the police officers,” said Logan, who has been with the department for 13 years. “Our lives matter just as much as anybody’s. ... I’m not racist or anything like that, I’m not trying to stir anything up like that. I consider it to be a ‘warrior logo.’

COPS ARE NOT WARRIORS AND ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE. This kind of thinking is a serious problem.

Just cause it has ‘Blue Lives Matter’ on the hood, all lives matter. That decal represents that we will take any means necessary to keep our community safe.”

Saying that "Blue Lives Matter" symbolizes "keeping your community safe" means you define your community as other cops, not the people you're supposed to be protecting. Again, a serious problem with thinking among cops, that protecting police comes before protecting people. A complete abandonment of any notion that the job entails any degree of sacrifice or risk for the people doing it.

HeySeuss

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not American and not particularly informed on this subject matter. I guess I naively thought they just searched for a "cool" skull logo without really knowing where it came from.

This is from the article quoted in the OP:

So, genuine question: is that really an open and completely intentional reference to the Punisher (I haven't seen American Sniper) and if so, why isn't Marvel suing everyone?

I'm not familiar enough with copyright laws to know for sure, but maybe that's not a battle Marvel cares enough to fight.

So when will we get a Punisher short clip of him handling crooked and bigoted cops?

This is also so damn lame lol having a skull be your symbol is something a middle schooler would do. Too much fragility. But thanks for giving me another reason for not wanting to visit Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom