• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania 2: Canyon |OT| Driving you loopy (Retail update now live for Beta!)

Dina

This is probably a dumb question, but home come my solo runs only count as practice/training runs and not as official ones?

Also, why don't the lap times on my 'official' runs update in the Neogaf group list?

Lumine

loblaw said:
Multiplayer still isn't working for me, just won't connect to servers. Is this a known problem yet?
I used to, but for some reason it fixed itself. I would suggest looking at your NAT settings of your router and try port forwarding. The game gives warning that you might have to do this too.
Dina said:
This is probably a dumb question, but home come my solo runs only count as practice/training runs and not as official ones?

Also, why don't the lap times on my 'official' runs update in the Neogaf group list?
Once you get gold on a race you will see a timer in the corner. Once this reaches 0 and you do a restart it will ask if you want to do an official run. You only get one chance though, then you will have to wait another 5 min to get a new official try. However if you press 'keep training' instead the timer will only go up 1min before asking for a new official run. I also think the timer is universal for all tracks, so it will keep counting down even if you switch tracks.
----------------

Anyway, I've played quite a few hours before and after the retail patch and I wanted to post some thoughts/impressions on the game.

- First of all, it's pretty much Trackmania. Which is excellent because Trackmania is excellent, but I can't help but feel a little dissapointed as I expected slightly more.

- The track editor, while still great, uses pretty much the same interface as before. I really expected a bigger overhaul as I thought the original editor's interface was already very archaic. The improvements are a little too minor. Besides that I was hoping for more tiles. Different roads, but especially more corners, both smaller and bigger ones. The options seem a bit limited. Don't get me wrong though, one can still make a crapload of great different tracks as it is. I just wish there was a little more diversity.

- The canyon setting is pretty good. I enjoy the new car, drifting feels very natural. Though I kind of wish it wouldn't drift this quickly and perhaps not accelerate so fast either. That coupled with the many thin roads the editor/game contains makes some of these tracks frustrating as hell. Seriously, some of these roads are a little too thin.

- I also wish there was something as simple as a colour slider for the background. Just so tracks would feel a little more unique from each other rather than having to rely on mods/skins for this which only you'll see then.

- I'm not so sure on this "official" versus "training" either. I don't hate it as much as other people seem to. Some of my friends don't even want to bother because of it. I kind of like the idea that you have to be able to do a track consistently good, but at the same it's a little too frustrating. One screw up and it's back to waiting. All your multiplayer times are only counted as training times too.

- Online multiplayer and hot seat work as great as before. I was really surprised to see that they added splitscreen. Up to 4 players even! That said, it's a little buggy in its current form. For example you have to exit the game and throw down the graphics settings a lot because it runs far too heavy otherwise. Some of the buttons on controllers wouldn't work either.

- What I miss mostly though is an ingame custom map page. A place where everyone can publish their own custom made maps. Where you can easily search, rate and sort them. Where you can add certain ones to your favourites and compare times on them like you can with the Nadeo made tracks.

- Honestly for a game that has potential for endless replayabilty, the current amount of content feels a little meager. I'm not very impressed by the amount of Nadeo-made tracks since the retail patch either. Lastly the game is still a bit buggy. In fact it feels very much like Trackmania 2 is still in beta.

- Despite sounding a bit skeptic I still recommend picking this up. It's Trackmania and it's still great.

1-D_FTW

Lumine said:
I used to, but for some reason it fixed itself. I would suggest looking at your NAT settings of your router and try port forwarding. The game gives warning that you might have to do this too.

Once you get gold on a race you will see a timer in the corner. Once this reaches 0 and you do a restart it will ask if you want to do an official run. You only get one chance though, then you will have to wait another 5 min to get a new official try. However if you press 'keep training' instead the timer will only go up 1min before asking for a new official run. I also think the timer is universal for all tracks, so it will keep counting down even if you switch tracks.
----------------

Anyway, I've played quite a few hours before and after the retail patch and I wanted to post some thoughts/impressions on the game.

- First of all, it's pretty much Trackmania. Which is excellent because Trackmania is excellent, but I can't help but feel a little dissapointed as I expected slightly more.

- The track editor, while still great, uses pretty much the same interface as before. I really expected a bigger overhaul as I thought the original editor's interface was already very archaic. The improvements are a little too minor. Besides that I was hoping for more tiles. Different roads, but especially more corners, both smaller and bigger ones. The options seem a bit limited. Don't get me wrong though, one can still make a crapload of great different tracks as it is. I just wish there was a little more diversity.

- The canyon setting is pretty good. I enjoy the new car, drifting feels very natural. Though I kind of wish it wouldn't drift this quickly and perhaps not accelerate so fast either. That coupled with the many thin roads the editor/game contains makes some of these tracks frustrating as hell. Seriously, some of these roads are a little too thin.

- I also wish there was something as simple as a colour slider for the background. Just so tracks would feel a little more unique from each other rather than having to rely on mods/skins for this which only you'll see then.

- I'm not so sure on this "official" versus "training" either. I don't hate it as much as other people seem to. Some of my friends don't even want to bother because of it. I kind of like the idea that you have to be able to do a track consistently good, but at the same it's a little too frustrating. One screw up and it's back to waiting. All your multiplayer times are only counted as training times too.

- Online multiplayer and hot seat work as great as before. I was really surprised to see that they added splitscreen. Up to 4 players even! That said, it's a little buggy in its current form. For example you have to exit the game and throw down the graphics settings a lot because it runs far too heavy otherwise. Some of the buttons on controllers wouldn't work either.

- What I miss mostly though is an ingame custom map page. A place where everyone can publish their own custom made maps. Where you can easily search, rate and sort them. Where you can add certain ones to your favourites and compare times on them like you can with the Nadeo made tracks.

- Honestly for a game that has potential for endless replayabilty, the current amount of content feels a little meager. I'm not very impressed by the amount of Nadeo-made tracks since the retail patch either. Lastly the game is still a bit buggy. In fact it feels very much like Trackmania 2 is still in beta.

- Despite sounding a bit skeptic I still recommend picking this up. It's Trackmania and it's still great.

Probably my bigger issue than the official timer (which I can ignore). After I started getting past the initial cup, I started realizing the vast majority seemed to have sections that were super tight. This pretty much just inspires me to want to play Island instead. Although I'm taking a breather from the game and hopefully I'll change my mind. Even considering trying the keyboard, because it's doubtful my controller skills will ever allow me to drift through those sections with banging the bajeezes out of the car.

EDIT: Gonna go try using my G27 with it. I can't suck much worse with that, so it's worth a try.

2ND EDIT: And that works like complete garbage.

I think this game gets my personal award for most disappointing game of the year. Was so hyped, but not feeling it at all. At least it was only 25 dollars down the drain.

vermadas

I'm having a hard enough time getting gold on D02. Damn that jump you have to hit at the perfect speed! I should probably go back and improve official times on the earlier courses, I need to climb into the top ten of the GAF leaderboard.

gillty

Banned
Lumine said:
Agreed, TM2 needs Little Big Planet 2-level community sharing to take it to the next level.

c7d0f37a662fe9ab27df462ad2946596029e1a1c.jpg

Otherwise, Trackmania2 is Trackmania, a great game that sucks the time away.

Dina

Lumine said:

Ehhh. Thanks for clarifying that, but who greenlighted that? Makes no sense at all.

jee

This game is amazing. Especially because most of the tracks remind me of the "demo style" of TM Sunrise.

Lead Based Paint said:
Not sure how servers work in tm but what are the steps that could be taken for a GAF TM server?

Quite a few of us hang out on the GiantBomb server. I doubt there are enough GAF dudes for our own server.

My name is retro05 (yeah, I know) in-game btw.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
loblaw said:
Multiplayer still isn't working for me, just won't connect to servers. Is this a known problem yet?

Getting that problem now. Been fine all weekend and earlier this evening but now it won't connect at all. Probably a sign that I should go to bed.

Only read below if you want to know something about that last group of races.

The lap races in Black stages are 15 lappers!

Dizzy-4U

HotHamWater said:
Quite a few of us hang out on the GiantBomb server. I doubt there are enough GAF dudes for our own server.

My name is retro05 (yeah, I know) in-game btw.
You're a pretty good driver. Top 5 in every race yesterday. Good job man.

Dizzy-4U said:
You're a pretty good driver. Top 5 in every race yesterday. Good job man.

Yeah I was on a bit of a hot streak yesterday. I'm no match for Oonsk though. Am I right in thinking that's Teknopathetic? I don't know where I got that from.

Gav47

This may be a silly question but is there a way to configure the HUD in this game, I really hate the crap that is layered on to the screen (local records, live standings etc.)

Dizzy-4U

Gav47 said:
This may be a silly question but is there a way to configure the HUD in this game, I really hate the crap that is layered on to the screen (local records, live standings etc.)
Asterisc button on the numpad removes all the hud.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Gav47 said:

I love all that stuff. I think some servers can change that, and I don't like when certain ones have it missing.

Emitan

Is there a way to disable server side HUD plugins? I just want the normal stuff (current standings, local records, and track karma).

Yoritomo

I think the SLI issues are fixed in either the new beta drivers or the retail game.

Getting solid 60 fps in 5856 x 1080 with sli 580s. Game is very vram intensive though. Have to manage settings to keep it under 1.5gb vram at that res. (Everything maxed with 2x Aniso and FXAA on keeps it pegged at 1.48gb)

Wish there was a way to keep the HUD in the center screen though.

gillty

Banned
Billychu said:
Is there a way to disable server side HUD plugins? I just want the normal stuff (current standings, local records, and track karma).
Karma and Local Records are server side plugins.

gillty

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
DO IT, I want to see the result, pixar IQ?
You can do it with images too. Too bad it won't output higher than my native resolution, only 1680x1050 =(. The track shown is cottonmouth (download), a not so great track with superb natural scenery and good replay cameras if you were to render a video out.
a5bac908bf3e51ff0036a94d43b4f3bd2d01a75d.png

Emitan

Is there a way to compare my ranking to the rest of GAF? I'm in the group/clan whatever, but I don' know how to do that.

Milpool

Billychu said:
Is there a way to compare my ranking to the rest of GAF? I'm in the group/clan whatever, but I don' know how to do that.

If you click on 'individual play' there's a rankings section which shows your ranking compared to players in any groups you've joined plus your region.

Is there any way to set the number of laps on a looping track you make to infinity? I remember on the GAF server a few years ago there were some tracks were you just did as many flying laps as possible within the time limit. Is it a server side option or something?

I heard there was a problem with the payment servers, but I thought it would have been fixed by now? I wanna buy this but I can't...wtf...

I despise the multilap tracks in solo. Seems like every time I try an official race, I bump into a wall and just totally screw myself over... Then I have to wait another 5 min to bump into another wall, UGH

ArtistDude88 said:
I despise the multilap tracks in solo. Seems like every time I try an official race, I bump into a wall and just totally screw myself over... Then I have to wait another 5 min to bump into another wall, UGH

Save yourself the frustration and play multiplayer.

The single player in this game is horrendous.

-SD-

Banned
Lead Based Paint said:
Compared to previous TrackMania releases the singleplayer campaign tracks are not that good, yes, but I wouldn't say that TM2's SP is horrendous. It's just challenging, which is a good thing in my books.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't understand why the solo 'official' timing doesn't just work like multiplayer? Fine, provide some restrictions, but have a window rather than a single run. So you have 3 minutes to post your best time, something like that.

The solo and multiplayer games allow or even encourage restarting to perfect that one corner, so its out of character that official times use a different method

is there any way to compare against GAF group without posting 'official' times? I'm happy to ignore that if necessary and just use the singleplayer as a time trial challenge/practice for multiplayer.

1-D_FTW

-SD- said:
Compared to previous TrackMania releases the singleplayer campaign tracks are not that good, yes, but I wouldn't say that TM2's SP is horrendous. It's just challenging, which is a good thing in my books.

I don't know. The twitch-tastic control is challenging enough, I think they really went sadistic with the uber-tight courses. They could have saved those for the final cup. Or better yet, fixed the control so non-Jedi could play it.

mrklaw said:
I don't understand why the solo 'official' timing doesn't just work like multiplayer? Fine, provide some restrictions, but have a window rather than a single run. So you have 3 minutes to post your best time, something like that.

The solo and multiplayer games allow or even encourage restarting to perfect that one corner, so its out of character that official times use a different method

is there any way to compare against GAF group without posting 'official' times? I'm happy to ignore that if necessary and just use the singleplayer as a time trial challenge/practice for multiplayer.

Pretty sure that's a no.

And if you're going to ignore Official Laps, make sure you occasionally back-up your save file. Because if it's like previous games, Training times (and medals) will be wiped with a hard drive reformat. Only official times are saved to your account, so you'll need to re-unlock all courses that were done through "training medals" if you didn't back the file up.

Dina

I'm pretty sure I won't do the official time hassle in any dedicated fashion. Try to beat the golden medal, fine. But I won't wring myself in every turn to get a position in an arbitrary leaderboard.

Which is a shame, because I do care about the lists in the custom map servers I play at. And I would care for the official times. Just not like this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lead Based Paint said:
Save yourself the frustration and play multiplayer.

I don't think it's bad, but the tracks aren't that great.

Honestly, I'm surprised and disappointed that the single player track quality peaked in Trackmania Sunrise. The tracks there were absolutely awesome and really showed off what they could do with the game. Every other TM release from that point featured somewhat dull tracks in comparison.

Shame Sunrise isn't even playable due to Starforce. I've tried to install it but 1) I don't want to use Starforce and 2) it doesn't work with Win 7 x64 anyways.

Gav47

How the hell do I add a server to my favorites? The UI in this game is kind of a clusterfuck.

Edit: Figured it out, you have to do it from the pause screen when you are joined to the server you want to favorite, no option to do it from the server browser as far as I can see.

Top Bottom