• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
The film has to be more than the family stuck in the bunker right? The bunker should only take up a small amount of time..... right?

I want to think that they get out but at one point we see MEW looking up the stairs with a crutch and she has a brace on her leg. Where when she runs up to the door she's moving just fine.

We also see that the bunker shakes from something and everyone looks up. So it has to be a Kaiju correct? We also hear Goodman say "something's coming"

Theory
from the end of Cloverfield we know that the military threw everything they had at thing and it didn't even hurt it. So using a chemical attack is not out of the question since that's the only option other than nukes. So an early warning is given out to take shelter due to the chemical attack and the family hides.

Also what's in the barrel of liquid nitrogen? At one point we see Goodman put a glove on next to a 50 gallon barrel with mist escaping.

The idea of a $5M film getting an IMAX release seems.... kind of insane? I mean, one of the Paranormal Activity movies did, but that was very limited. This is getting marketed from the start, so I suspect $5M is not the actual budget.

This is getting an IMAX release. It has Cloverfield in the title

A movie about people trapped in a bunker isn't exactly IMAX material

(except for the fact this is set in the same universe as the first film in some way, because otherwise, putting the word Cloverfield in the title and having a large thudding thing shake the walls in your trailer is a reeeeeeeeeaaaalllly bad call)
Cloverfield ending spoilers:

Cloverfield ended with New York being nuked to destroy the monster, so if this is post-apocalyptic, that could fit with this.

This is getting an IMAX release. It has Cloverfield in the title

A movie about people trapped in a bunker isn't exactly IMAX material

Awesome point.

kevin1025

Banned
The idea of a $5M film getting an IMAX release seems.... kind of insane? I mean, one of the Paranormal Activity movies did, but that was very limited. This is getting marketed from the start, so I suspect $5M is not the actual budget.

Only two weeks later Batman and Superman are ripping it from IMAX.

But you're likely right about the budget.

The $5 million might only be the bunker stuff.

Cloverfield ending spoilers:

Cloverfield ended with New York being nuked to destroy the monster, so if this is post-apocalyptic, that could fit with this.

Awesome point.

Without revealing what's in the spoiler tag, this was filmed in New Orleans, so it could be the effects of the first film in a different part of the country.

BlazinAm

The film has to be more than the family stuck in the bunker right? The bunker should only take up a small amount of time..... right?

I want to think that they get out but at one point we see MEW looking up the stairs with a crutch and she has a brace on her leg. Where when she runs up to the door she's moving just fine.

We also see that the bunker shakes from something and everyone looks up. So it has to be a Kaiju correct? We also hear Goodman say "something's coming"

Theory
from the end of Cloverfield we know that the military threw everything they had at thing and it didn't even hurt it. So using a chemical attack is not out of the question since that's the only option other than nukes. So an early warning is given out to take shelter due to the chemical attack and the family hides.

Also what's in the barrel of liquid nitrogen? At one point we see Goodman put a glove on next to a 50 gallon barrel with mist escaping.
eggs?

Without revealing what's in the spoiler tag, this was filmed in New Orleans, so it could be the effects of the first film in a different part of the country.

That'd be awesome. Either way, I am so ridiculously into this. I was way into the ARG, and the film itself, and I'm so stoked to see them approach a project in any way related, even just in tone.

What a day.

adj_noun

Did you guys know about the Cloverfield manga?
18s40daolpwjyjpg.jpg
Not that I think it's Cloverfield canon exactly (it gets, ah, weird).

Amazing it was able to stay a secret for so long. I always figured Nolan would be one of the first to get a movie basically done before announcing it, but it looks like JJ beat him to it.

OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE YES

For real though that little detail about it being in IMAX has me so excited about what the movie could potentially be.

Dmax3901

Cloverfield blew my mind when I saw it in the cinema, such great use of sounds to overwhelm. I'll be super keen for this!

A Cloverfield sequel???
WITH MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD OMG DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

Shame about it not being found footage. Love that genre.

AfroDust

Cloverfield is one of my all time favorite movies and I was just wondering if we were ever going to get a sequel. Praise based J.J. I could cry right now!

Prompto

Banned
Cloverfield was cheeks and Cruz blew a load about Bayghazi, so probably a nah
Even if you didn't like Cloverfield, this one has an entirely different premise, director, and set of writers. And one of those writers directed and wrote one of the best films of 2014.

You're the first person I've ever heard say that.
Really? It's a genre I love too. I just love the you-are-here intimacy of it. The bad ones suck, but the good ones - Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Rec/Quarantine, Chronicle, Troll Hunter, some parts of VHS, etc. - are a lot of fun.

Sotha_Sil

Filmed in NOLA, eh? So that's who those assholes were who blocked off like 8x4 blocks (or something close to that) west of the quarter lol.

I love the found footage format, and thought the original handled its' shots exceptionally well. But I'm excited to see that universe in a more standard style, and for the series to escape that trope. Especially with this director on board.

Looks like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt The Movie.
Nooooooooooo don't run it, I HATED that show

Hahahahaha that's cool. I paid for seeing Devil's Due, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, and The Gallows in theaters, and gladly!

As someone whose favorite genre is horror and believes jump scares are a completely legitimate and valid approach to scares, found footage movies are trashy and visceral enough to have the highest hit ratio for that. I'm so down for high art horror (Rosemary's Baby is my favorite of that type), but no high art horror has ever come close to scaring me as hard as say The Blair Witch Project (my scariest movie of all time)

KeRaSh

Trailer looks great. Nobody I personally know liked Cloverfield. I enjoyed watching it back then. Will definitely watch this. I hope we actually get to see what happens outside and not just for the final 3 seconds of the movie.

kevin1025

Banned
I looked into it some.

So Paramount Insurge, which is a smaller production part of Paramount, makes micro-budget horror films for the most part. They've made movies like The Devil Inside, Project Almanac, etc. Their mandate was to make Paranormal Activity budget movies. They are the ones who co-produced the movie with Bad Robot, not Paramount proper from the looks of things.

So that's where the $5 million number is coming from, when they were making it.

Now, here's where I'll spoiler tag stuff if you're not interested in knowing what Valencia was a while back.

Valencia was what the trailer is. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is named Michelle, and wakes up from a car accident inside the bunker. John Goodman says that it isn't safe to leave, and so she stays. Based on John Gallagher Jr.'s arm, he was likely in the crash, too. They slowly start to not trust Goodman, and from there they make for an escape, and see that he was lying.

That's supposedly how it ended back in the day when it was in script form. Back in March 2015, Paramount Insurge was reported to be consolidated and made part of Paramount proper again. I'm wondering, did they start testing the movie and now that Paramount was involved, decided to give over more money, and they retooled the movie and gave it a whole new act at the end?

So that $5 million might have been the original budget as Valencia, before becoming 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Some of the facts I mentioned might be wrong, this is just based on some (sleepy) investigating around!

Lo_Fi

I love it too. I love immersive (yeah, I know, stupid buzzword) games, and Cloverfield is an excellent lesson in how to create immersion. I can see why people don't like the movie, though, since it's basically video game: the movie. I'm so stoked for this but I'm wondering if it will have the same impact on me without the found footage.

Only two weeks later Batman and Superman are ripping it from IMAX.

But you're likely right about the budget.

The $5 million might only be the bunker stuff.

Plus, as BobbyRoberts pointed out. They've been done with principal filming for a year. Which means they've had to have been doing a crap ton of sfx all this time, right?

Do people still remember that Ethan Haas website? I remember spending hours every day discussing it for about a week until it was revealed to have nothing to do with Cloverfield.

Daffy Duck

This is great news to wake up too!

Loved Cloverfield so much and I've wanted a sequel since I saw it. Still love the last clip from the video of them at the beach and the monster splashing down.

Looks great!

Dominator

Cloverfield aside, that trailer is damn good. Really fantastic. The fact that it's related to Cloverfield just takes it over the moon.

If JJ et all are using the Cloverfield name as an anthology title for unrelated sci-fi flicks I hope to fucking god they don't wait 8 years between each film.

That said I am hyped as FUCK because I loved the shit out of Cloverfield. I am blown away that they were able to make a movie in absolute secrecy like this and casually drop the trailer 2 months before release in this day and age. Good lord, so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom