• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

jond76

Banned
Awesome! I really respect JJ as a showman. His discretion with spoilers is enviable.

This is how things should be. Awesome awesome awesome.

The monster sounds? I love them. It sounds sort of like a sad whale cry, which fits the idea that it's just a terrified deep sea creature, not some malicious nuclear demon dinosaur hellbent on destruction.
I never found the monster itself to be very scary, but it sure was a fascinating creature.

It's less the actual sound and more the way that it's mixed in the trailer/film. It doesn't sound anything like a loud noise from far away, it just sounds like it was dropped in.

_woLf

Holy shit I was just talking with my co-workers the other day about how I wanted a sequel to Cloverfield but I doubted we'd ever get one.

Out of NOWHERE. JJ da gawd

CD'S BAR

the wiki page says it was filmed from september to december 2014 on a $5 million budget. they kept it small and secret.

t hicks

Banned
definitely gonna rewatch the first one tonight... i rarely freak out over anything movie related but i seriously never thought we would see a cloverfield sequel...
im so happy

MattyG

Banned
This will make me a little less excited if true, but I'm sure it'll still be great.

I don't get Film Twitter's insistence on trying to delineate whether this is a Cloverfield sequel or not when it's got the word CLOVERFIELD in the fucking title.

Saw Lussier and now McWeeny like "It's not Cloverfield 2! Calm down!"

Like, why? Is it that disturbing that something got by all of us and it wasn't filtered through the blogosphere first?

"It's not Cloverfield, it's Valencia"

Seems way more obvious to me, considering the title on the trailer, that Valencia was never Valencia, and was always Cloverfield.

The way the trailer ends with the word CLOVERFIELD lingering for a few seconds before the rest of the title appears says otherwise unless they're using the Cloverfield title as a sort of anthology title or something.

Then why the secrecy?
I've thought this too though. The way Cloverfield pops up before "10 - Lane"... unless there's a good explanation we aren't thinking of, there's no way it's not at least in the same universe as the original.

ultrazilla

Ha! People are already posting again at the old Cloverfield unforum.

The madness never left. It just went dormant for a while.

I love it! Gonna head there now. There's some really smart people there. They'll break this down and find tons of clues. I bet there's viral stuff in the trailer they'll catch.

gatti-man

What the fuck? How can anyone hate cloverfield? So fucking good. Give me 3 sequels all hand held. Give me a tv show walking dead style. I want it all.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

giphy.gif

Hype slightly hurt.

I don't get Film Twitter's insistence on trying to delineate whether this is a Cloverfield sequel or not when it's got the word CLOVERFIELD in the fucking title.

Like, why? Is it that disturbing that something got by all of us and it wasn't filtered through the blogosphere first?

Seems way more obvious to me, considering the title on the trailer, that Valencia was never Valencia, and was always Cloverfield.

PopeReal

I get the feeling they like knowing things.

So they've already done screenings? And the Cloverfield connection didn't leak?

This mystery just keeps rolling deeper. Did Abrams just slap the Cloverfield brand on an unrelated film for a quick buck? Or does that cut of the film not acknowledge the first film, whatsoever?

The movie could be a total fucking trainwreck, and I still want to know everything about it.

Dalek

I get the feeling they like knowing things.

I know. Such snark on that guys Twitter. "I know things! Wink wink!"

Still waiting to hear back from my friend. Maybe he can elaborate more on if there has ever been any screening of this movie.

This, although to be perfectly fair I could see "Cloverfield" just becoming a sort of anthology style title for Bad Robot-helmed sci-fi horror, and this film not really having anything to do with the original directly.

ultrazilla

This will make me a little less excited if true, but I'm sure it'll still be great.

Hmmmm. I wonder if this is the first Cloverfield told from a different group's perspective?

I seem to recall that sequel ideas being tossed around at the time of Cloverfield mentioned that a possible sequel would be a news team covering the event or another group's story.

munchie64

Just posted that cause I found it interesting. I'm not sure how to feel as of right now tbh. I mean CLOVERFIELD is about as front and center as a title can come haha

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing it a lot more than I expected. You're probably on the money with the reasoning.

ultrazilla

Renaming it 10 Cloverfield Lane, with major emphasis on Cloverfield in the trailer, and then NOT having it be related? That would be some next level fuckery.

I'm gonna say it makes no sense to sabotage your film like that.

Gotta agree here. It's gotta be Cloverfield related. No way it's not. Too many people would be highly pissed off. Me included. Too much emphasis when the trailer focused on Cloverfield at the end as Geek said.

Yeah, it really makes no sense. Can you imagine the word of mouth if this was the case? Even if the movie was great, you'd be literally lying to people to get them to buy tickets. The backlash would be fucking outrageous.

LycanXIII

Is it possible that there are two versions of the film? Valencia and Cloverfield? If principle filming has been done for over a year, what if they saw a preview of Valencia, before the Cloverfield parts got added? JJ giving the critics something to throw them off the trail sort of?

jond76

Banned
The way the trailer ends with the word CLOVERFIELD lingering for a few seconds before the rest of the title appears says otherwise unless they're using the Cloverfield title as a sort of anthology title or something.

Yeah, if it wasn't related they would have just splashed the whole title at once. Cloverfield just lingers there to make you think of a connection.

dcelw540

Is it possible that there are two versions of the film? Valencia and Cloverfield? If principle filming has been done for over a year, what if they saw a preview of Valencia, before the Cloverfield parts got added? JJ giving the critics something to throw them off the trail sort of?
That seems likely actually

I mean, for $5 million you ain't gonna get anything like the first, and that was already sprinkles of monster attacks with the annoying leads taking over when things got good.

Unless they are also hiding the budget, it's probably all in the bunker. Seems weird they would drop this in IMAX though if that's true.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Both?

The only found footage movie I've ever liked was Europa Report because it had a sensible explanation for the footage existing. It didn't rely on people stupidly and constantly endangering themselves further by focusing on filming their life or death experiences. Makes complete sense for a huge space mission in the future to be littered with cameras recording everything.

I've not seen this one. I'll see about watching it within the next few weeks.

Personally my favourite found footage movie is The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

This, although to be perfectly fair I could see "Cloverfield" just becoming a sort of anthology style title for Bad Robot-helmed sci-fi horror, and this film not really having anything to do with the original directly.

Yeah, people in this thread who are literally mad at the suggestion that this might not be in the same universe as the original movie are more than a little crazy, and I have to wonder if they'd go insane if they ever watched, like, The Twilight Zone.

Also, Winstead is a wonderful actress with a career consisting basically entirely of either bad horror movies or great movies that made no money whatsoever. I'm so glad to see she's still getting work, especially in stuff as big as this.

munchie64

That would be fucking insane if true. Like Lucasfilm and Disney held back JJ's mystery box tendencies so much that he had to go double time on the little movie by someone else lol

ultrazilla

Perfect. I like this line of thinking and it fits with the sneaky nature of JJ.

CD'S BAR

edit: didn't all this stuff in the OP.

Wikie cites Collider interview with Winstead...

After a car accident, a young woman comes to in an underground cellar, where most of the action takes place. She fears she has been abducted by a survivalist, who tells her he saved her life and that a chemical attack has left the outside world uninhabitable. Uncertain what to believe, she decides she must escape, whatever dangers she may face outside.[3] “As it goes on, it gets progressively darker and darker, and less and less funny, and weirder,” Winstead told the 'Collider' movie news website.

Maybe there's a twist or unrelatedness is the apocalyptic event is a different monster than Cloverfield's, or some other supernatural thing.

Volimar

I really really hope the bunker stuff gets resolved in like the first 30 minutes and it's not the whole movie except for the last 10 minutes or something.

nomis

Well Lussier is such an encapsulation of everything wrong with movie blogging that he almost single handedly turned me off of reading them. I'll be unsurprised when MEW leaves the bunker and bigger things happen in the film.

jond76

Banned
Precautionary Spoiler Warning: Collider had a story up with some plot details from a cast member

First a JJ Abrams quote:

Some plot details from Mary Elizabeth Winstead:

She told us the story revolves around a woman who wakes up in a cellar where she’s being kept by a stranger, played by Goodman. The actress elaborated a bit on the plot by saying the following:

“He tells me that basically the world is over outside because there’s been a nuclear fall-out. It does have similarity to Faults, in some ways, because you don’t know who’s telling the truth or who to believe. There’s a lot of, who’s manipulating who, and all of that. Tonally, it’s very different, but it has some of those same themes.”

That info is literally in the first post. Haha

I loved Cloverfield too, and disliked the other monster films we've had recently- Godzilla and Pacific Rim. This is unexpected and a good surprise!

Yeah, people in this thread who are literally mad at the suggestion that this might not be in the same universe as the original movie are more than a little crazy, and I have to wonder if they'd go insane if they ever watched, like, The Twilight Zone.

I'm starting to think this is exactly what it is. Not about a giant alien but rather a series like Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt. I can see Abrams growing up with that sort of thing and trying to pay homage.

I'm down either way.

Dead Man

Okay, not really a JJ fan these days (TFA aside), but this looks kind of interesting.

After the movie came out I was hoping for a sequel that used a more traditional cinematic style to explore the same events. Never going to happen, but I though it would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom