• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Man. That was unexpected and awesome. Not only are we getting a new Cloverfield, but it's being directed by Dan Trachtenberg and written by Damien Chazelle? And it has John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead? This is the best news. Can't wait, and looks like I don't have to go long. What a way to reveal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How does this slip by being made unnoticed in the internet age :eek:

First one was shockingly good so im excited

MattyG

Banned
What's everyone's Cloverfield theories?

My favorite and probably most common is when the thing that falls into the water at the end scene of the movie (while they are on the Ferris wheel), it's wildly associated as being a Targuato satellite, which fell into the depths of the ocean and woke up the monster. I just love that the monster was maybe hibernating on earth, so deep into the ocean nobody knew.

Now I don't expect this movie to answer anything about the monster at all, but I enjoy theorizing about it, even 8 years later.
I really hope this has as many little things in it to fuel discussion and theories. Oh God, I'm so excited.

IMAX release
Big rumble that shakes the interior of an underground bunker
"Something's coming"
Cloverfield

This movie definitely has a giant monster

I wonder why Bad Robot didn't attach this trailer/announcement with Star Wars.

Oh man, this would have been super hype. But probably because 13 Hours needs all the help it can get, and Star Wars (obviously) didn't.

Really want to watch Cloverfield now. Too bad I'm stuck at work.

Cardon

Damn. Didn't see this coming at all but its a pleasant surprise. Props to JJ and the Bad Robot team for having this on complete lockdown. It's rare we get a proper movie surprise these days so this is some exciting stuff.

blamite

Ohhhhhhhhh man this looks fuckin' goooood.

I wonder if the entire movie will be without shakeycam or if they'll bring that in when they leave the bunker or something?

kaiju

Great trailer. Seems to have nothing to do with the original, not sure why J.J. would want to produce a "sequel" but in any case I am excited.

Odoul

What's everyone's Cloverfield theories?

My favorite and probably most common is when the thing that falls into the water at the end scene of the movie (while they are on the Ferris wheel), it's wildly associated as being a Targuato satellite, which fell into the depths of the ocean and woke up the monster. I just love that the monster was maybe hibernating on earth, so deep into the ocean nobody knew.

Now I don't expect this movie to answer anything about the monster at all, but I enjoy theorizing about it, even 8 years later.

There was more than 1 kaiju.

When HUD was being eaten in the park you can clearly here bombing still going on in the city. Army has to be dropping them on something right?

BlazinAm

Oh man, this would have been super hype. But probably because 13 Hours needs all the help it can get, and Star Wars (obviously) didn't.

Really want to watch Cloverfield now. Too bad I'm stuck at work.

Doesn't really help 13 Hours though. I know movie studios pick the trailers that get attached to a movie. I know that the ordering of the trailers is a big deal to them as well.

-griffy-

Banned
This was like some legit magic trick level deception, right? JJ on this side of the stage making all this noise and shit with a giant Star Wars movie, drawing everyone's attention so they don't notice the damn Cloverfield sequel getting made on the other side of the stage.

ryseing

JJ you mad bastard. You mad fucking bastard. This is blowing my mind.

In day one. Gotta rewatch the first one now of course.

MattyG

Banned

When HUD was being eaten in the park you can clearly here bombing still going on in the city. Army has to be dropping them on something right?
This is one I've always agreed with, though I thought JJ shot it down a couple years ago. I remember there being a lot of evidence backing it up though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ohh FUCK YES.
This came outta nowhere!

Seriously. I can't remember the last time a film was completed in secret like this.
Upstream Color. Virtually no info about it even going into production and then it was revealed as complete and appearing at Sundance.

Dominator

I would buy that as well. They sometimes seemed to vary in size when shown so that would lead credence to that theory.

Gorillaz

I wonder why Bad Robot didn't attach this trailer/announcement with Star Wars.
It feels like a no brainer but I wonder if it was a politics thing of the other producers/studios basically made sure their big summer/tentpole film would get the spot instead

Yeah, that was my favorite pet theory, too, although I believe production debunked it, eventually.

I also remember being on the hunt for "Roar" for a VERY long time, before it finally got officially released.

(I ended up throwing drums at it as soon as I could)

Honestly, I went back to the theater a third time pretty much just to hear the song and to see whether you could hear the guy saying "It's still alive" at the very end. (You could - but it was backwards)

Zapages

That was totally unexpected!!! Also its only 2 months away! WOW!

Also let's home for pacific rim 2 and District 8 sequel to continue the year of dreams! :)

What the flying fuck?

Cloverfield sequel.
Secret trailer.
Already made.
That cast.
Directed by Dan Trachtenberg.

How is any of this possible?

They hid in plain sight. Sold the film as "Valencia" - an original thriller produced by Abrams & Bad Robot. Big name cast, though still pretty secretive. From the outside, this just looked like an indie horror drama that BR was making on the cheap, with two big stars.

And then somehow Paramount managed to completely stick the landing, and now there's a fucking CLOVERFIELD SEQUEL coming out in two months.

Yet people say there's no magic left in the movies.

yami4ct

Man, I didn't realize this many people liked Cloverfield.

There aren't enough Kaiju movies. Kaiju are awesome. Colverfield isn't wonderful, but it's in a under served genre and the air of mystery really helps make it more than it would be otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom