• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron |OT| Me Grimlock no bozo! Me KING!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Single Player was fucking awesome, so varied as others have said, and the set pieces are just incredible. Best Transformers game of all time, so MUCH fan service. Would probably be my GOTY...

...if they hadnt so fucked with multiplayer and ruined any sense of balance. Leader/Striker class is so pointless its not even funny (why does Titan get the weapon shield and not Optimus class?) while Scientist has been way too overpowered. Netcode feels far worse, and combat as a whole feels less snappy. Worse still, the multiplayer features none of the innovations from the single player, no grapple hooks, no Cassetticons, no DinoBot or Bruticus melee class. None of it, all while taking out killstreak perks which is what enhanced the pace of the originals match-flow.

You can really tell where the focus went this time around, for better or worse.

Darkone

On chapter 5, such a GREAT game, much better then the first one, i really liked that they added wepon upgraded and such, the first one was dry with that stuf.
the Story is awesome, they should have done the movies with the games plots.
Hope the next one will be on earth as well.

Bizazedo

Single Player was fucking awesome, so varied as others have said, and the set pieces are just incredible. Best Transformers game of all time, so MUCH fan service. Would probably be my GOTY...

...if they hadnt so fucked with multiplayer and ruined any sense of balance. Leader/Striker class is so pointless its not even funny (why does Titan get the weapon shield and not Optimus class?) while Scientist has been way too overpowered. Netcode feels far worse, and combat as a whole feels less snappy. Worse still, the multiplayer features none of the innovations from the single player, no grapple hooks, no Cassetticons, no DinoBot or Bruticus melee class. None of it, all while taking out killstreak perks which is what enhanced the pace of the originals match-flow.

You can really tell where the focus went this time around, for better or worse.

Some I agree with, but on balance, I and a few others I've seen think Destroyer is amazing. Possibly OP.

So, it might be balanced.

So my copy arrived on Monday and I really enjoyed the single player campaign, outside of the abrupt ending and a few other minor things. Playing the multiplayer portion today, it's not as great as WFC's, but it has it's moments...plus most of the new customization is nice. I will try Escalation later, but first I'm trying to clear of the MP achievements...most (outside of the leveling/Prime mode) I've managed, though the Capture the Flag one is ridiculous.

Anyone have any tips for that one? or would teaming up be the best option?(if so, I'm willing to team-up with a group on XBLA to do so)

clear31

I just started the game and I have one complaint, isnt optimus prime supposed to be bigger than most of the other transformers??? He seems to be the same size as the average transformers aside from bumblebee

Bizazedo

They're tweaking some stuff.

Infiltrator

Scatterblaster damage increased to 15 per pellet from 12 – Those who got early access to the demo know the scatter blaster started off as a beastly weapon, we overshot our correction and we’re hopeful we've found the right setting.
Fireblast upgrade burn damage increased from 15 per second to 20 per second – The reduction in pellet damage was not being offset enough by the fire damage, so we’ve upped the fire damage a bit, each shot will do an extra 10 fire damage.
EMP Intercooler upgrade now changes the grenade recharge to 10 seconds instead of 7.5 – We know its super fun to run around throwing emp grenades willy-nilly, but it was too much. Besides, you can get the Intercooler pickup and still go crazy.

Scientist

Gear Shredder homing increased – This weapon is showing up as the weakest of the scientist weapons and we think the best way to improve it is to increase its homing function.
Sentry Damage increased from 8 to 10 per shot – The sentry was not quite giving the offensive boost we were hoping for, this should help.

Destroyer

Reduce the Thermo Rocket Cannon damage from 300 to 250 - The Destroyer was showing up as the most powerful class by a small margin and we think the Thermo Rocket Cannon is a big reason.
Chaos Rift Combuster Damage and Damage Radius significantly increased – You should be doing closer to 300 damage if you manage to hit a guy with both the initial blast and a cluster bomb. Hopefully this make the Combuster a better option.
Barrier Cooldown increased from 7 to 10 seconds – 7 was too fast, it was practically always available

Titan

Harvester damage reduced from 20 to 17 – This combination of damage output and healing was too much, we’re preserving the healing functionality and reducing damage.
EDK Techvolt damage increased to 140 from 115 – The beams look cool, but it needed a little more bite.
Flak Shield can absorb 500 damage instead of 666 – The flak shield was showing up as clearly being a better choice than whirlwind so we’re slightly reducing its power.

See, Destroyer was OP! Barely :).

Beth Cyra

Haven't kept up with the thread.

Got to say, I'm kinda upset I spent 60 bucks on this. The main story is short as hell. I kinda expected it to be short given WfC, but chapter VIII and IX were insultingingly short.

I know they put alot of work into Escalation and overall Multiplayer, but thing is I don't so honestly I feel kinda cheated for the amount of money I paid. Not bad, but still wish I had waited for a steam sale or price bomb or something.

From the couple hours I spent in MP, I feel like the early levels of infiltrator are extremely tough (you basically can't confront any enemies without teammates). The Titan Shredder is extremely powerful and easy to use since it doesn't have any clip.

Elfish

Is there any solution so I can play with ZQSD to move instead of WASD?
It's just terrible that you still can't configurate the controls.

I just started the game and I have one complaint, isnt optimus prime supposed to be bigger than most of the other transformers??? He seems to be the same size as the average transformers aside from bumblebee

I forgot if Optimus got the Matrix of Leadership in the first game, but when Hot Rod got it and turned into Rodimus Prime he actually grew a bit.
Maybe this is supposed to be pre-growth Optimus?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They're tweaking some stuff.

See, Destroyer was OP! Barely :).

Buffs to Scientist, nerfs to Destroyer. I feel like they must be taking crazy pills. Fundamental stuff needed to be swapped around to make any sense.

I feel like Destroyer should have been given the Sentries, and or the solid shield the titan enjoys. Playing as the other 3 classes is great and has its own gameplay where as Destroyer just seems really quite barren of play styles (truck mode moves way too slowly).

The DLC is asshole-tastically priced as well. The Ultra Magnus vehicle mode looks totally fucking awesome, but I'm in no way going to pay £7.50 for that privilege, they must be insane.

Bizazedo

Buffs to Scientist, nerfs to Destroyer. I feel like they must be taking crazy pills. Fundamental stuff needed to be swapped around to make any sense.

I feel like Destroyer should have been given the Sentries, and or the solid shield the titan enjoys. Playing as the other 3 classes is great and has its own gameplay where as Destroyer just seems really quite barren of play styles (truck mode moves way too slowly).

The DLC is asshole-tastically priced as well. The Ultra Magnus vehicle mode looks totally fucking awesome, but I'm in no way going to pay £7.50 for that privilege, they must be insane.

Well, Scientist had Sentry in the first game and Destroyer had barrier. There would've been a larger outcry they had switched them.

As for everything else...yeah, can see your point about playstyle, but the nerfs felt right. Destroyers was definitely the best overall class if you treated him like a Quake 1 dude with the rocket launcher. That + barrier = why use anything else. Even the Riot Gun is good.

But the Destroyer truck does amazing damage with those missiles. I wasted 6 guys in the span of 15 seconds due to the damage those things did and then transforming and finishing off the remainder of the 6 (whole team rushed me on a small map). That and they splash.

His vehicle mode isn't better than Scientist due to mobility reasons, but it can easily destroy other players.

Miggytronz

WTF!! Wave 13 with a good group and i get kicked for suspected cheating due to network connection tampering.

So pissed right now. I dont even know how to tamper with a connection in the first place.

desertdroog

Just finished the campaign. Kudos to High Moon, this was a fantastic ride through nostalgia. Perfect Transformers game...if only it were longer ;)

Now to try multiplayer. I'm curious how the Dino bots are going to play in the mutliplayer arena? They are only melee and specialized at that...or will it be more of a skin change and you will have Dino hover bots when they transform?

Anyone have the 411 on this?

Leveled up both Destroyer and Titan in multiplayer. Started off with Destroyer which I enjoyed playing as a lot, than moved to Titan who I didn't enjoy nearly as much. Very slow character (obviously) but didn't really feel he was that powerful to compensate or it, especially compared to the Destroyer. I'm moving on to Infiltrator now, probably going to be my weakness. I prefer to dive into to battle than sneak around. He's bloody fast though. I'm saving Scientist till last though. He was the one I leveled up in the demo and one I really enjoyed playing as.

I am missing certain stuff from the original's multi though. The grenades, truck barge/secondary vehicle move and the perks for getting kill streaks. So while I'm enjoying the multiplayer, it seems a step back in many regards to the originals, which I just loved.

Leveled up both Destroyer and Titan in multiplayer. Started off with Destroyer which I enjoyed playing as a lot, than moved to Titan who I didn't enjoy nearly as much. Very slow character (obviously) but didn't really feel he was that powerful to compensate or it, especially compared to the Destroyer. I'm moving on to Infiltrator now, probably going to be my weakness. I prefer to dive into to battle than sneak around. He's bloody fast though. I'm saving Scientist till last though. He was the one I leveled up in the demo and one I really enjoyed playing as.

I am missing certain stuff from the original's multi though. The grenades, truck barge/secondary vehicle move and the perks for getting kill streaks. So while I'm enjoying the multiplayer, it seems a step back in many regards to the originals, which I just loved.

It's odd, the Multiplayer in general appears to have less features. This would lead me to think that they would have done a better job polishing the aspects they kept, but those seem less polished as well. The gunplay in general doesn't seem as great as the first game. Netcode in general seems much better though.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So my copy arrived on Monday and I really enjoyed the single player campaign, outside of the abrupt ending and a few other minor things. Playing the multiplayer portion today, it's not as great as WFC's, but it has it's moments...plus most of the new customization is nice. I will try Escalation later, but first I'm trying to clear of the MP achievements...most (outside of the leveling/Prime mode) I've managed, though the Capture the Flag one is ridiculous.

Anyone have any tips for that one? or would teaming up be the best option?(if so, I'm willing to team-up with a group on XBLA to do so)

Get a good team, have them run interference hard for you. Even then you are going to need mad fucking luck.

Carbonox

Finally got the game yesterday. Much better than War for Cybertron in terms of the campaign. Really well made and so fucking fun. I still love how I feel extremely brutal as Megatron.

Also loving the movie references. Currently on the penultimate chapter.

Will definitely check out multiplayer as well.

BTW a question (spoiler) regarding a certain scene:

Was Megatron's death at the hand of Metroplex a reference to Transformers: Cybertron? I remember Metroplex pummelling Megatron (or did he become Galvatron by then?) in to a crater in that show as well. It's a shame he didn't regard himself as Galvatron after you revive him in this game. I hate how everyone seems to dodge Galvatron in the media now. He's better than Megatron.

Carbonox

Surprised how easily I'm clearing through Hard mode. Currently on Chapter 10. Then again I have most of the perks enabled and most of my weapons fully upgraded. Plus the heavy weapon you get after you complete the game for the first time is ridiculously overpowered.

Game is so addicting.

bumpkin

So I finally got to what I imagine is the final chapter, and the game just doesn't want me to finish it. Three times my 360 locked up after a checkpoint (different ones each time). Makes it kind of difficult to get through a chapter when I keep having to do parts over. :(

Carbonox

So I finally got to what I imagine is the final chapter, and the game just doesn't want me to finish it. Three times my 360 locked up after a checkpoint (different ones each time). Makes it kind of difficult to get through a chapter when I keep having to do parts over. :(

I PS3 has locked up 3 times on this game too, either during a checkpoint or during a cutscene. Luckily all those incidents occurred during my first run. No issues on my second, though the loading during gameplay annoys the hell out of me.

Anyway, I've beat the game on Hard (so easy) and will finish up the rest of the single player trophies before trying multiplayer.

God how I love playing as Grimlock.

I do hope we see at least one more Transformers game, even if it's a final one. Though I'm concerned about an Earth setting as that would be infinitely more difficult to successfully pull off than a Cybertron one. For starters it's Earth so no more awesome Cybertronian environments, plus potentially introducing humans, etc. Bleh.

Eurgh really didn't enjoy playing as the Infiltrator. Had a couple of good games with him, one which I'm sure I was invincible as I got an 8 kill streak or something ridiculous. But overall it seemed like it took forever to level up as I wasn't getting that many points. In all I sucked at that class. Now I'm so pleased I kept Scientist till last. Really enjoying this class and getting some of my best games. 10 more levels to go, then I might try Campaign on hard and play Escalation some more.

My friend has been having the weirdest issue. He can not stay in a lobby for more than one full game. We'll jump in, we'll finish whatever match is going on, and then when the next one loads...nothing. It'll pretend to shuffle the teams about, he'll get slotted in as "no assigned team" and then he stays that way until he has to quit out and we have to search again.

Pissing us right off because we can't find a way to stay in the few good, lag-free matches we find and having to cycle rooms all the time is extremely annoying. :(

bumpkin

VICTOLY! Finally got through the final chapter after my fight with sporadic freezing. Definitely really satisfying
and the mano-e-mano fight between Prime and Megatron at the end where you can pick who to fight as was awesome
! When I looked at the achievement list for the first time - I held off to avoid any spoilers - I can see there's a lot of little things there were ones tied to. I'll have to play through it again and see if I can rack more of 'em. Does the game let you pick specific chapters to replay ala WFC? I haven't tried to go in and scour the menus at all.

My only complaint isn't really so much a complaint as something that made me roll my eyes.
WTF at them making my boy Snarl the one Dinobot who was punked by Shockwave and left a lame duck during his only appearances.
It's only adding insult to injury that he's paid DLC to use in multiplayer; hell, it sucks that any/all of the DLC characters aren't usable in escalation.

That's because some of them are already IN escalation to begin with. Like Wheeljack. He's in Escalation already. I don't think they all are though. In fact Wheeljack might be the only one who is, I've only played two of the four escalation stages.

The DLC only adds them as MP parts. With the way Escalation is set up (read: very shittily), I wouldn't expect a patch to enable them.

Dave_6

VICTOLY! Finally got through the final chapter after my fight with sporadic freezing. Definitely really satisfying
and the mano-e-mano fight between Prime and Megatron at the end where you can pick who to fight as was awesome
! When I looked at the achievement list for the first time - I held off to avoid any spoilers - I can see there's a lot of little things there were ones tied to. I'll have to play through it again and see if I can rack more of 'em. Does the game let you pick specific chapters to replay ala WFC? I haven't tried to go in and scour the menus at all.

My only complaint isn't really so much a complaint as something that made me roll my eyes.
WTF at them making my boy Snarl the one Dinobot who was punked by Shockwave and left a lame duck during his only appearances.
It's only adding insult to injury that he's paid DLC to use in multiplayer; hell, it sucks that any/all of the DLC characters aren't usable in escalation.

Yes you can go back and pick what chapter you want to play thru. I've been doing that myself trying to get all the SP achievements and just replaying my favorite parts.

eshwaaz

I know many are put off by the loss of campaign co-op and the changes to the competitive multiplayer, but I really enjoyed the campaign. It's fun and effective as fan service without overdoing it, and thoroughly satisfying as a shooter. For the most part, I like what they've done with the characters and overall universe, while still having plenty of nods to G1 - a nice balance.

Did anyone notice that the object that Laserbeak is perched on during the "press X to pet" moment is the Cybertronian form that Soundwave transforms into in the very first episode of Transformers?
IMG_1283_outlined.jpg

SoundwaveG1.jpg

SoundwaveG1_FoC.jpg

I really hope this sells well enough for High Moon to do a sequel - I'd love to see how they'd handle an Earth-based Transformers game.

Orion Pax

Neo Member
I think you can spot Soundwave and Laserbeak spying on you in one of the Optimus chapters, and Soundwave is in that transformation like he was in the first episode of the G1 series.

Carbonox

I think you can spot Soundwave and Laserbeak spying on you in one of the Optimus chapters, and Soundwave is in that transformation like he was in the first episode of the G1 series.

This. You look up at him and he'll transform and say "Soundwave superior, Autobots inferior" before proceeding to fuck off. :lol

I now have all of the SP trophies and am currently playing through multiplayer. Such a grind. Any tips for the classes? I feel so weak.

Don't think I'll get most of the multiplayer trophies as they sound irritating.

Finished the game on hard. Was quite easy, especially as you get access to all your weapons and upgrades. The Riot Cannon is a beast. Finished off all Escalation maps
on easy
and leveled up all classes in multi. I don't think I'll Platinum this one. Dunno if I can be assed. Like finding all the audio tapes and doing some other trophies. How can you find out how much you've spent in the store in Campaign btw? I've bought all weapons/upgrades etc so I must be close?

I've bought all weapons/upgrades etc so I must be close?
Within 20kish. I got it when I was done hunting for all the audio tapes, which for me was very shortly (like two stages), after getting the achievement for all the upgrades.

Any tips for the classes? I feel so weak.

Problem with this game, say, compared to the last one, is that all the good perks and shit here unlock at the later levels. The people who have been playing longer DO have a definite advantage, and not just in map knowledge or mechanics practice. For the purposes of this list, low level is 1 to 10, mid level is 10 to 18, high level is 19 to 25. This split is because low level unlocks the basic set of crap, mid level unlocks the final weapon and the medium level perks, and high level is where you get all the final perks.

I'll break this down the best I can.

Infiltrator:

Low Level: Scatter Blaster and Path Blaster are the only weapons you have access to. Scatter has recently been buffed. If you asked me a few days ago about it, I'd say path blaster outclasses it by a huge margin. However, not so much any more. You are stuck with cloak at this point so the best range to engage in is short, from the flank, and using the scatter. Try to rip the slower classes in half before they can turn around. Or medium-long with the path blaster, preferably not head on (use a height advantage or something), and use controlled rate of fire, since without the second perk that assists the bloom cooldown, you will miss 3/4s of your shots at range.

Mid level: You now have EMP and the SMG. Combined these are fucking monsters. EMP doesn't last long at all (maybe a couple seconds, but throw it and mix up your direction (say, throw, watch it pop, then backdash the other way), and when the guy is shooting blindly just chew them up with the SMG. Profit all day long. At 15 you get the sniper. Sniper is a bit of a trick with the charge mechanic, but I prefer it to path blaster. More damage for more range, but you lose out on the medium-long niche fill. Luckily you can haul ass as this class and close or increase the distance, so no big loss.

High level: You now have the EMP speed booster perk (second perk), which gives you about 3 seconds of better footspeed if you EMP a guy. Absolutely hilarious and I recommend it. You can flank a guy and shove so many bullets up his ass that he'll think his cornhole was involved in a drive by. Cloak I don't find useful at this level. EMP seems to outclass it. Cloak is useful if you snipe more than do short range though. Your call. If you use cloak, use the length of time boost. The level 3 perk for staying cloaked for an extra second after opening fire is useless in practice. The SMG level 3 perk for reduced spread increases it's useful range slightly, but I prefer the ammo perk (level 2) so I can shit as many bullets as possible down range before having to stop.

Destroyer:

Low Level: Riot Cannon and Thermo Rockets. Rockets have a hell of a kick but take a while to reload. Good as a secondary if you can't kill them with the riot, since the riot reload is about 40 years long and you get so little ammo. Truck mode moves like a upside-down bison skating on syrup, and missiles are awesome. Use it at medium range to pop light classes or surprise heavies from the side. In a straight fight you will not necessarily outclass other weapons and you run the risk of the vehicle lock on counters. Use the barrier. Each perk for it has uses.

Mid level: Timed Det cannon. Takes a lot of getting used to but great infiltrator harassment tool. Pretty good kick, kinda slow though. Perk for faster shooting Riot Cannon is ok, goes through ammo quick but can seriously fuck a dude up in no time. Perk for faster reload on Thermo is THE BEST. Shit will recycle real quick. Stick with Barrier, hover gets you murdered. Fourth weapon is....ok. Cluster bombs hard to use consistently well. Does a lot of damage IF you can hit with all of them. Likely you will not do so on the lighter classes and the heavier ones will counter fast enough that you'll just eat it. Pass.

High level: One way barrier is funny, generally causes others to retreat. Can be used to cover your own escape if needed too. Riot cannon level 20 perk is a monster. No reason to use anything other than that as your primary. Fourth shot just makes bitches go up.

Titan:

Low level: This class sucks at low level. Scrapmaker is powerful but as as accurate as farting into the wind. despite the slow, large, threatening profile, you will lose to infiltrators all the fucking time. Tank shell doesn't do the splash damage it should considering it's huge animation or powerful kafoom noise. In fact, for a while, tank will be your only range attack. Use it to break up fights your team is having when you're not there. Try to target players who you have seen their shield go down or other idiot whirlwinding titans. Harvester is some bullshit if you can get over the lag inconsistency. Heal plus huge damage. They nerfed it slightly but it's still some shenanigans. Combine it with the melee attack for some face crunching.

Mid level: Teckvolt is something my friend swears by but I can't find a use for. He uses it to harass infilitrators and scientists, because you can chain it to scientist turrets and sort of dong on them that way. When you get the shield at 10, replace whirlwind with it. You can use it (preferably with the second perk to increase footspeed) to close the distance so you can scrapmaker some assholes in half. scrapmaker gets ammo buff at this range. It's useful but neither here nor there. Slimer cannon is cool, scares the shit out of small classes, goop 'em and swap to scrapmaker and rip 'em in half. Or goop vehicles to prevent their boost and then when they are panicing and shitting their robo-pants you go tank mode to finish 'em.

High level: Scrapmaker gets accuracy perk at 20. Totally changes the class. Now you can fight at medium range and shit on all the people who have been shitting on you for the last 20 levels. It is seriously key. Slime gooper still best with goop explosion radius perk (level 1). Shield gets perk that restores health for some reason. It's fantastic, use that. If someone has the upper hand/flanks you, whip out shield while turning and they will heal you of whatever surprise damage they got on you. Then when they reload like morons eat them with the more accurate scrapmaker.

Scientist:

Low Level: Neutron Assault and Orbital Pistol, both AMAZING. Neutron is useful at short ALL THE WAY UP to medium-long ranges, has good ammo, has good accuracy, has good damage. If you flank someone, or want to fight at LONG range for a bit, use the orbital pistol. The armour debuff it gives is huge. Hell, if you flank some asshole, double tap him, drop his armour, switch to neutron and by the time he turns around you've already fucked him in the ass so hard that his mother will feel it. Plane is a huge advantage for mobility. Use it all the time. Hit and run. Launch one missile and then fuck right off and try to land behind them. Do NOT do what you see idiots doing, which is derp shoot missile, wobble in place a bit, then shoot another missile. You will get gang fucked. Don't even bother. Heal is super useful, Find a heavy class and heal them. As a mobility guy, your map control job will be huge. Try to be the guy who controls the cube/ammo pickups and the TECH items.

Mid level: Gear shredder. Homing buff is a big deal, does good damage after charge, great for corridors. However, loud as hell and easy to dash dodge, you'll have to see if you like it. I don't use it myself. You also get turret and photon burst here. Photon burst is fantastic. Long range gun to end long range guns. even useful in medium. Stick with the level 2 perk for more ammo. Turret is not that powerful but hilarious because players will stop what they're fucking doing and shoot at it. It blows when you die. Use it for harassment and mind games.

High level: Stick with Photon burst level 2, the ammo thing. The faster shooting seems awesome but it chews ammo too quick and at range you'll want more control anyway. Neutron or orbital makes a good secondary. Neutron recoilless perk level 3 is fantastic, don't have to fine aim it any more at medium to short range. Stick with burst for anything longer. Turret damage buff does just enough to make people reconsider a defensive position you may have holed up, or cause them to focus on the turret so you can shoot them in the nuts. remember to hit and run, and use plane speed to your advantage. Some maps let you fly over/under certain obstacles so use it to shake missiles or line of sight if you're at the disadvantage.

General Tips:

Abuse the SHIT out of dash. All classes. If you're against someone who uses slow projectiles who needs to lead them (gear shredder, thermo rockets, riot cannon) do not be afraid to forward or back dash as a mix up to get your opponent to overshoot. Some take forever to reload and then you can punch the guy out and shit on his chest.

Killstreaks being pickups now implies a greater level of map control. Learn the recharger, buff zone, and intercooler locations. Learn their respawn rates and incorporate paths to them in your map movement routines. This is especially important for denying enemies access to these as much as it is using them yourself. If you can, burn one and pick up another just to deny the access to the other team.

And most importantly, smile while you push the shit in to the other players with your 8 foot robo-penis.

tl;dr - This is how you play.doc

kamspy

Anyone playing on PC getting a choppy framerate? I have a GTX 680 and somehow get framedrops in certain big action sequences. Thought that was impossible on a DX9 UE3 game. Other than that, it's the best Transformers game I've ever played. Pretty big step up from the last one IMO. It's a shame more people won't play this game. They really stepped it up.

Carbonox

Within 20kish. I got it when I was done hunting for all the audio tapes, which for me was very shortly (like two stages), after getting the achievement for all the upgrades.

Problem with this game, say, compared to the last one, is that all the good perks and shit here unlock at the later levels. The people who have been playing longer DO have a definite advantage, and not just in map knowledge or mechanics practice. For the purposes of this list, low level is 1 to 10, mid level is 10 to 18, high level is 19 to 25. This split is because low level unlocks the basic set of crap, mid level unlocks the final weapon and the medium level perks, and high level is where you get all the final perks.

I'll break this down the best I can.

Infiltrator:

Low Level: Scatter Blaster and Path Blaster are the only weapons you have access to. Scatter has recently been buffed. If you asked me a few days ago about it, I'd say path blaster outclasses it by a huge margin. However, not so much any more. You are stuck with cloak at this point so the best range to engage in is short, from the flank, and using the scatter. Try to rip the slower classes in half before they can turn around. Or medium-long with the path blaster, preferably not head on (use a height advantage or something), and use controlled rate of fire, since without the second perk that assists the bloom cooldown, you will miss 3/4s of your shots at range.

Mid level: You now have EMP and the SMG. Combined these are fucking monsters. EMP doesn't last long at all (maybe a couple seconds, but throw it and mix up your direction (say, throw, watch it pop, then backdash the other way), and when the guy is shooting blindly just chew them up with the SMG. Profit all day long. At 15 you get the sniper. Sniper is a bit of a trick with the charge mechanic, but I prefer it to path blaster. More damage for more range, but you lose out on the medium-long niche fill. Luckily you can haul ass as this class and close or increase the distance, so no big loss.

High level: You now have the EMP speed booster perk (second perk), which gives you about 3 seconds of better footspeed if you EMP a guy. Absolutely hilarious and I recommend it. You can flank a guy and shove so many bullets up his ass that he'll think his cornhole was involved in a drive by. Cloak I don't find useful at this level. EMP seems to outclass it. Cloak is useful if you snipe more than do short range though. Your call. If you use cloak, use the length of time boost. The level 3 perk for staying cloaked for an extra second after opening fire is useless in practice. The SMG level 3 perk for reduced spread increases it's useful range slightly, but I prefer the ammo perk (level 2) so I can shit as many bullets as possible down range before having to stop.

Destroyer:

Low Level: Riot Cannon and Thermo Rockets. Rockets have a hell of a kick but take a while to reload. Good as a secondary if you can't kill them with the riot, since the riot reload is about 40 years long and you get so little ammo. Truck mode moves like a upside-down bison skating on syrup, and missiles are awesome. Use it at medium range to pop light classes or surprise heavies from the side. In a straight fight you will not necessarily outclass other weapons and you run the risk of the vehicle lock on counters. Use the barrier. Each perk for it has uses.

Mid level: Timed Det cannon. Takes a lot of getting used to but great infiltrator harassment tool. Pretty good kick, kinda slow though. Perk for faster shooting Riot Cannon is ok, goes through ammo quick but can seriously fuck a dude up in no time. Perk for faster reload on Thermo is THE BEST. Shit will recycle real quick. Stick with Barrier, hover gets you murdered. Fourth weapon is....ok. Cluster bombs hard to use consistently well. Does a lot of damage IF you can hit with all of them. Likely you will not do so on the lighter classes and the heavier ones will counter fast enough that you'll just eat it. Pass.

High level: One way barrier is funny, generally causes others to retreat. Can be used to cover your own escape if needed too. Riot cannon level 20 perk is a monster. No reason to use anything other than that as your primary. Fourth shot just makes bitches go up.

Titan:

Low level: This class sucks at low level. Scrapmaker is powerful but as as accurate as farting into the wind. despite the slow, large, threatening profile, you will lose to infiltrators all the fucking time. Tank shell doesn't do the splash damage it should considering it's huge animation or powerful kafoom noise. In fact, for a while, tank will be your only range attack. Use it to break up fights your team is having when you're not there. Try to target players who you have seen their shield go down or other idiot whirlwinding titans. Harvester is some bullshit if you can get over the lag inconsistency. Heal plus huge damage. They nerfed it slightly but it's still some shenanigans. Combine it with the melee attack for some face crunching.

Mid level: Teckvolt is something my friend swears by but I can't find a use for. He uses it to harass infilitrators and scientists, because you can chain it to scientist turrets and sort of dong on them that way. When you get the shield at 10, replace whirlwind with it. You can use it (preferably with the second perk to increase footspeed) to close the distance so you can scrapmaker some assholes in half. scrapmaker gets ammo buff at this range. It's useful but neither here nor there. Slimer cannon is cool, scares the shit out of small classes, goop 'em and swap to scrapmaker and rip 'em in half. Or goop vehicles to prevent their boost and then when they are panicing and shitting their robo-pants you go tank mode to finish 'em.

High level: Scrapmaker gets accuracy perk at 20. Totally changes the class. Now you can fight at medium range and shit on all the people who have been shitting on you for the last 20 levels. It is seriously key. Slime gooper still best with goop explosion radius perk (level 1). Shield gets perk that restores health for some reason. It's fantastic, use that. If someone has the upper hand/flanks you, whip out shield while turning and they will heal you of whatever surprise damage they got on you. Then when they reload like morons eat them with the more accurate scrapmaker.

Scientist:

Low Level: Neutron Assault and Orbital Pistol, both AMAZING. Neutron is useful at short ALL THE WAY UP to medium-long ranges, has good ammo, has good accuracy, has good damage. If you flank someone, or want to fight at LONG range for a bit, use the orbital pistol. The armour debuff it gives is huge. Hell, if you flank some asshole, double tap him, drop his armour, switch to neutron and by the time he turns around you've already fucked him in the ass so hard that his mother will feel it. Plane is a huge advantage for mobility. Use it all the time. Hit and run. Launch one missile and then fuck right off and try to land behind them. Do NOT do what you see idiots doing, which is derp shoot missile, wobble in place a bit, then shoot another missile. You will get gang fucked. Don't even bother. Heal is super useful, Find a heavy class and heal them. As a mobility guy, your map control job will be huge. Try to be the guy who controls the cube/ammo pickups and the TECH items.

Mid level: Gear shredder. Homing buff is a big deal, does good damage after charge, great for corridors. However, loud as hell and easy to dash dodge, you'll have to see if you like it. I don't use it might. You also get turret and photon burst here. Photon burst is fantastic. Long range gun to end long range guns. even useful in medium. Stick with the level 2 perk for more ammo. Turret is not that powerful but hilarious because players will stop what they're fucking doing and shoot at it. It blows when you die. Use it for harassment and mind games.

High level: Stick with Photon burst level 2, the ammo thing. The faster shooting seems awesome but it chews ammo too quick and at range you'll want more control anyway. Neutron or orbital makes a good secondary. Neutron recoilless perk level 3 is fantastic, don't have to fine aim it any more at medium to short range. Stick with burst for anything longer. Turret damage buff does just enough to make people reconsider a defensive position you may have holed up, or cause them to focus on the turret so you can shoot them in the nuts. remember to hit and run, and use plane speed to your advantage. Some maps let you fly over/under certain obstacles so use it to shake missiles or line of sight if you're at the disadvantage.

General Tips:

Abuse the SHIT out of dash. All classes. If you're against someone who uses slow projectiles who needs to lead them (gear shredder, thermo rockets, riot cannon) do not be afraid to forward or back dash as a mix up to get your opponent to overshoot. Some take forever to reload and then you can punch the guy out and shit on his chest.

Killstreaks being pickups now implies a greater level of map control. Learn the recharger, buff zone, and intercooler locations. Learn their respawn rates and incorporate paths to them in your map movement routines. This is especially important for denying enemies access to these as much as it is using them yourself. If you can, burn one and pick up another just to deny the access to the other team.

And most importantly, smile while you push the shit in to the other players with your 8 foot robo-penis.

tl;dr - This is how you play.doc

Awesome write-up, thank you. I've bookmarked this.

Bizazedo

Excellent write-up.

On the bright side, except for the Titan, the majority of the best stuff unlocks at mid level. Low to mid, even (thermo rockets, <3 <3 <3).

samman6

Wow really great write up of the multiplayer, reminds me a lot of 1 actually, seems like the classes haven't changed as much as I thought. Especially the infiltrator shotty up close, or sniper to the dome, cloaking a lot and and dashing like a lunatic.

Got all the multiplayer trophies now. I prefer conquest out of all the types. It's my love. But was quite fun finally delving into the other modes.

Sadist

Anyone playing on PC getting a choppy framerate? I have a GTX 680 and somehow get framedrops in certain big action sequences. Thought that was impossible on a DX9 UE3 game. Other than that, it's the best Transformers game I've ever played. Pretty big step up from the last one IMO. It's a shame more people won't play this game. They really stepped it up.
No, but the PC version has some bugs. The level with Cliffjumper for example had a part where you had to rush out of the door and apparently the game couldn't load it. So you just fall down, without end :p

I completed the game in one sitting and oh man, it's so good. To bad it only lasted seven hours :( It's a good game, better than the first. Yeah it's scripted as fuck but I don't care. There was never a dull moment. Stomping around as Bruticus is amazing and I loved the level with Jazz. Grimlock is badass as well.

The fanservice! Oh the fanservice.
I grinned during Starscreams coronation, and the Dinobots arguing about baloney

Best TF game ever? Best TF game EVER!

Pimpbaa

I am missing something or do you have to use the mouse in the PC version to buy stuff from the store. I have it set to controller in the options.

Beth Cyra

Just finished the game.

Honestly it was short, but I don't know if that is my biggest complaint.

Overall though it was fun, wished there was more. Strangely for as much as they hyped it up I really hated playing as the big guys.

Last level was great though, the multiple changes was a nice treat and not going to spoil anything but the final fight was pretty awesome as well.

Credits while nice couldn't live up to War.

In the end I think WfC was a slightly more enjoyable because of the co-op and I liked the designs in it more. That said I think FoC is a better game. Sadly I don't think we will get another Transformers game, certianly not one on the level of FoC/WfC given what I suppect are low sales but I am certainly glad we at least got these.

Top Bottom