• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron |OT| Me Grimlock no bozo! Me KING!

bumpkin

I never finished the first game - was its SP that good? I played the first couple levels of WFC and thought t was kind of boring.

I'm liking the SP in this so far due to the pacing and the different weapons are fun to use.

Btw, here are the planned DLC packs. I might get the Dino pack.

f399f0690591bcab34b68ec78139f03a.jpg
Are you fucking kidding me? I hadn't gone into multiplayer yet - wanted to finish the single player story first - but I had been thinking I could use any of the Dinobots in MP out of the box...

Bizazedo

Same. Found Darksiders 2 pretty disappointing.

Also, Jazz's VA on here is perfect. Is it the original VA? Sounds just like him.

No, original one is dead (I think?). Troy Baker is attempting it and I thought he did a good job. It was close enough. If anything, I thought the writing could've been better for him, but it was good enough.

I had done no research and was immensely pleased it was the original VA for Grimlock, though. I think he does Jetfire, too? At least originally.

I never finished the first game - was its SP that good? I played the first couple levels of WFC and thought t was kind of boring.

I'm liking the SP in this so far due to the pacing and the different weapons are fun to use.

Btw, here are the planned DLC packs. I might get the Dino pack.

f399f0690591bcab34b68ec78139f03a.jpg

So that's where Hound went. Behind a 10 dollar paywall for a pack in which I have half the content for free already.

God dammit.

Bizazedo

Yeah, normally I hate it, but I have a feeling this game won't do super well, so, anything they can get etc :(.

At least there's no sign of maps.

This seems to have come out at a bad time too close to Darksiders and Sleeping Dogs... I think a lot of people bought those due to the good word and this game is being saved for later for a lot of people (including me). Which is a shame because the first was one of my favorite games of the gen.

Yeah, normally I hate it, but I have a feeling this game won't do super well, so, anything they can get etc :(.

At least there's no sign of maps.

To be honest, the previous game's DLC packs weren't too bad. Couple maps, some escalation crap, AND characters.

For the same prices as what is now....just characters. That aren't usable in Escalation. Super.

bumpkin

To be honest, the previous game's DLC packs weren't too bad. Couple maps, some escalation crap, AND characters.

For the same prices as what is now....just characters. That aren't usable in Escalation. Super.
Is it confirmed that the DLC characters aren't usable in Escalation?

MechDX

I have the PS3 version waiting for me since my 360 is busted and dont know if I just want to wait. Any sites have comparisons?

EvaTType01

Neo Member
characters are pre-set in each escalation map. There is no choosing your fav character in escalation, it depends if you picked a healer, engineer, attacker , etc......

PC seems dead, i couldnt find a mp game, and if i did, there was like only 2 people waiting....

bumpkin

characters are pre-set in each escalation map. There is no choosing your fav character in escalation, it depends if you picked a healer, engineer, attacker , etc......

PC seems dead, i couldnt find a mp game, and if i did, there was like only 2 people waiting....
But each of the DLC characters must belong to a specific class, right? I'd accept that as a stipulation for being able to use a specific character.

Hung Wei Lo

Fairly certain that they can't use the name "Slag" anymore for various reasons.

Oh, right...make sense

Hey, at least he's in, unlike Sludge. The treatment he gets in this game infuriates me, given he represents my favorite dinosaur.

I feel ya - especially since his concept art looks so, damn gnarly. Mind you, I've barely scratched the surface on the game as it froze right at the beginning of Chapter 2, so I can't comment on what else has been done to my beloved Sludge

EvaTType01

Neo Member
I have the PS3 version waiting for me since my 360 is busted and dont know if I just want to wait. Any sites have comparisons?

ps3 has vaseline/blurry look on it, and it chugs on the heavyaction parts. try out the demo, that would be your best bet.

Since i wont be buying the dlc, Im not sure if the dlc chars will be included in escalation. thats a good question. But since the game is FOCUSED on multiplayer, im pretty sure they are just dress-up skins for the multi. i hope somebody who has bought the dlc can correct me.......

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No, original one is dead (I think?). Troy Baker is attempting it and I thought he did a good job. It was close enough. If anything, I thought the writing could've been better for him, but it was good enough.

I had done no research and was immensely pleased it was the original VA for Grimlock, though. I think he does Jetfire, too? At least originally.

Really? Jazz was my favorite Autobot, and so far he's acting exactly how I remember in the show. I like the back and forth between him and Cliff. Also, that's definitely Troy doing Cliff, but I doubt that's him doing Jazz. I'll be hugely impressed if it is.

Really? Jazz was my favorite Autobot, and so far he's acting exactly how I remember in the show. I like the back and forth between him and Cliff. Also, that's definitely Troy doing Cliff, but I doubt that's him doing Jazz. I'll be hugely impressed if it is.

According to the Comic Con panel Nolan North did Cliff and Troy Baker did Jazz. They got the good back and forth by recording along side each other instead of being isolated.

But each of the DLC characters must belong to a specific class, right? I'd accept that as a stipulation for being able to use a specific character.

They do. Wheeljack is an infiltrator/scout. Magnus is a Leader/Destroyer, etc.

Unfortunately when we mean each escalation map is locked to characters, we don't mean "one scout, one scientist, one titan, one destroyer", we mean "starscream, shockwave, etc, etc" (I can't remember the other two characters in the one map I tried, I ran with Shockwave)

Shockwave had heal, Starscream had something else.

They gave me no choices in changing Shockwave for anyone else.

It's "here are 4 preset characters with ability sets of our choosing". The skins you're buying are just for the adversarial.

Whoa. Glad I decided to pass on this. I had the PS3 version reserved but I decided to wait for a price drop.

Very, very glad I did so in hindsight. How in the heck did they take such a step backwards in terms of platform parity? Wasn't WfC a really solid port?
I have no idea why yeah, this turned out worse then the first entry ....though WfC on PS3 tore like every other frame =(

george_us

Fucking hell is feels like I die in three hits. I wouldn't have a problem with this if it wasn't so hard to see where enemies are coming from.

triggaz

Banned
Kinda curious that they didn't go the Skylanders route You can buy Transformers and get a code for that character in the game seems like a wasted opportunity.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hey, at least he's in, unlike Sludge. The treatment he gets in this game infuriates me, given he represents my favorite dinosaur.

And come on High Moon/Activision—give me a pack of female Transformers. I have money right here waiting to pay you for that stupid DLC!

Sludge is in the game... lololol

Holy moly, campaign is awesome and I've only just finished chapter 2 :D The opening music is godly and the trailer reveal is really cool. Not seen that one before. After playing the disappointment that was Darksiders II, it's great to play a follow up game that rightly builds upon the original. Can't wait to play more then tuck into multi.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The first image of the Combaticons in the game, and they look like they're posing in a boy band. Vortex in crouch position and Brawl with his arms folded across his chest.

Sadist

I like how it's more actiony, if that makes sense. As much as I like War for Cybertron, the Decepticon campaign (chronological at least) was far too safe; just running through tunnels and other stuff. Except for the Omega Surpreme fight. The Autobot campaign is way better.

In FoC it just starts with a bang: overal it feels better; especially when playing as Optimus, when he has several areas in which he can use his vehicle mode. It feels more balanced.

I lolled hard when Metroplex thrusts his hand through a tunnel with two of those Decepticon jetjumper thingies. But the part where he smashes Megatron with his fist repeatedly is amazing.

How is the netcode/matchmaking, y'all? The MP customization aspect of the game gets me pretty hot and heavy, but myself being an Australian + the game's community probably being relatively small, I doth worry.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok, I have something campaign related to complain about. It's not that major of a spoiler but
WTF Soundwave stage? I get to play the coolest Decepticon for like 2 minutes, and I don't even get to kill anything?

Danny-Boy

Crap Nolan North as cliffjumper, can't get Nate out of my head. What happened to kasey casem? Loved his voice in the G1 cartoon, surely they could have got him to record a few lines.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Crap Nolan North as cliffjumper, can't get Nate out of my head. What happened to kasey casem? Loved his voice in the G1 cartoon, surely they could have got him to record a few lines.

No, they couldn't. Kasem quit the Transformers cartoon in disgust back in the '80s after they did an episode in Season 3 with a Middle Eastern country called Carbombya. Kasem, who is of Middle Eastern descent, demanded they change it, as it was clearly offensive, but the producers refused, so he walked. He also did the voice of the Autobots' computer Teletraan 1, which was destroyed in the multipart episode involving Carbombya. This is widely considered by the fanbase to be a direct result of Kasem quitting.

So yeah, it would probably be pretty damned hard to get Casey Kasem to do anything Transformers related again.

Danny-Boy

No, they couldn't. Kasem quit the Transformers cartoon in disgust back in the '80s after they did an episode in Season 3 with a Middle Eastern country called Carbombya. Kasem, who is of Middle Eastern descent, demanded they change it, as it was clearly offensive, but the producers refused, so he walked. He also did the voice of the Autobots' computer Teletraan 1, which was destroyed in the multipart episode involving Carbombya. This is widely considered by the fanbase to be a direct result of Kasem quitting.

So yeah, it would probably be pretty damned hard to get Casey Kasem to do anything Transformers related again.

Wow thanks for that. I remember hearing about him quitting but didn't know the full story. What a shame.

Carbonox

Really Zavvi? It's still set to "processing" on my account? Fucking morons. I've never had problems with Zavvi before despite their notoriety.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Add me to steam friends if you want to have someone who is playing FoC on your friend list.

Yesterday I made a bot for multiplayer I was really satisfied with, but when I woke up this morning I saw that the color I had assigned to it had changed. Upon further inspection it seems they removed a lot of the colors that were available yesterday (and maybe added some others). The one I was using is a very bright white with red (Autobot colors). All I can substitute for it now is a boring silver/grey with red.
Did anyone notice this? PS3 version btw.

I found it highly annoying as I already don't like the way they force certain schemes on you instead of giving you complete freedom.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, beat the game tonight... Spoiler free impressions!

Ok, a LOT better than WFC's single player. While I miss the boss battles, I love the fact that this SP barely re-uses ANYTHING. THe uses of stealth are varied, the "You're stronger than the rest, and get to rampage" missions are different, even the "Speed along to get to a goal" objectives are totally different.

To me, this is really rare on Current Gen hardware, as companies are normally focused on getting their money's worth on content / gameplay creation.

All culminates into one of the best final stages in gaming.

--

Troy Baker as Jazz is really solid. I'll always remember the scratchy inflection in Jazz' voice in the Animated movie, when he calls out "Jazzzzz to Moonbase Two!", and there were moments when I felt I was hearing the original actor play just like that.

Steve Blum as Shockwave is very odd. He sounds more calculated evil like this, rather than "twisted old gentleman", as his original cartoon voice sounded...

--

Soundwave is too good, when you get to play him. His gimmick is fun once you get the hang of it, even if he does feel frail after the experience you go through in the previous stage b4 him.

They really have a LOT they can build off of here. Someone mentioned a Mech-assault like "Small VS Big" mode. I'd love to see that, Fights between related factions someday, Such as the Aerialbots VS Stuntacons! Or Predaking VS Dinobots!

--

I have to say... I love the upgrade powerups. 500% Damage buff with final shot on the Riot Cannon? Path Blaster's Gamble Shot Shenanigans? Great stuff.

I'll really have to get into escalation soon, to see how that feels, but I loved this take on SP.

Loved the early Optimus missions. Very good. Just on Chapter 5 now. Game is great fun and quality. Really nice upgrade in graphically quality to the original as well. It's a shame this game won't get the sales it deserves, just like the original, but I hope it's enough to see more games like these as opposed to the other shitty Transformers games Activision like to pump out.

Dave_6

I really, really love this game so far (I'm up to Chapter 5 I believe) but man am I dying a LOT in places. I'm only playing on Normal so I guess I'm not using the dash enough or boosting around in my alternate mode. I'm currently playing as Jazz in the part where he
falls thru the floor into the big, two level room with waves of enemies
. I'm stuck there as I just keep getting murdered over and over.

What did they do to the demo? You're now locked out of being able to play as a Destroyer and Scientist and the matches are timed.

Are they purposely ruining the demo so people will buy the game instead?

Top Bottom