• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Mike M

Nick N
Armada Starscream would have been so much better if the giant shelf on his back could just fold down.

Man, I still remember the shitstorm the initial leak caused like the day before ToyFair. Going from the RiD figures to Hotshot was a physically painful experience for some.

Chorazin

Armada Starscream would have been so much better if the giant shelf on his back could just fold down.

Man, I still remember the shitstorm the initial leak caused like the day before ToyFair. Going from the RiD figures to Hotshot was a physically painful experience for some.

It knocked me out of collecting entirely until about a month ago. From that whole tome period I have Statscream, Blurr, and Unicron.

Ugh, Armada Starscream. I have the original one from the Armada series and its so bad, it sours me to this one.
Armada Starscream's character design is really cool though, the old figure just suffered from lanky arms and a lack of basic articulation almost everywhere. This new figure is a great update, but the Hasbro deco is super bland. Thank goodness my friend is visiting Japan right now, he's going to pick one up for me before he gets back.

Hasbro version does have the upside of being more accurate to the Dark Cybertron comics though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's nice to see Warbotron fully built next to an existing 3rd party combiner.

I have all the parts preordered, and looking at that, I'm happy I did so.

It legit won't fit in a Detolf though. Gotta find a new place for it.

There are people who have modded a Detolf with a U-shaped shelf that lets the overtall combiner's head and shoulders pop up through it, allowing other figures to be displayed on the U around it. It's an idea, at least.

There are people who have modded a Detolf with a U-shaped shelf that lets the overtall combiner's head and shoulders pop up through it, allowing other figures to be displayed on the U around it. It's an idea, at least.
Can you imagine if they started making Detolfs with adjustable shelving? I think collectors everywhere would rejoice. Until then, I think using U-bolts is the best solution.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutor...f-modification-adding-additional-shelves.html

Chorazin

so you have...fortress minimus?

also guys, how good do flea markets tend to be when hunting for transformers?

Unless you get there before the other guys, including other sellers, you're probably gonna be out of luck. I'm not saying won't won't find something eventually, but just be prepared to leave empty handed 95% of the time.

Flea markets are generally really fun though, so even if you don't score a TF you might luck out and find something else pretty cool.

Unless you get there before the other guys, including other sellers, you're probably gonna be out of luck. I'm not saying won't won't find something eventually, but just be prepared to leave empty handed 95% of the time.

Flea markets are generally really fun though, so even if you don't score a TF you might luck out and find something else pretty cool.
Haha most of the time when I go to any place that sells things I like, I leave empty handed.

And then the times I do find something I want, I have no money

Picturing this in my head is kinda whacky, but it's really not a big deal. I'd either take a single shelf out and fit him with other exceptionally large items, or put him on top of it, or something.

I can't wait to see the whole thing coloured, it'll be hnnnnng.

Takao

Banned
qhKGaq7.png

E9MV4J1.png

Page 13: http://issuu.com/worldscreen/docs/tv_kids_miptv_2014

Um ...

Beth Cyra

Yeah that teaser just tells me what I've known for a while and that Transformers TV is just no longer for me.

After MP Magnus I will just wash my hands of the franchise. I've had years of great memories and love, so I cant complain to much.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't see anything particularly wrong with that.

Hell, if TFA had looked like that, I bet it'd have been a hell of a lot more popular.

Hmm. I thought it would be CG. I want to see how it moves. Looks like a splash of Animated is showing, heh. What is Prime doing, being a Obi-Wan. I shall watch it.

Takao

Banned
New Rise of the Dark Spark video: Optimus Prime Vignette

Apparently we'll have a bunch of Transformers games to look forward to:

Console:

Transformers Movie 4
Transformers: Autobots Supreme
Transformers: Spirits Rising
Transformers Movie 5

Mobile:

Transformers Movie 4
Transformers: Angry Birds Go!
Transformers: Legends

Online:

Transformers: Universe

Arcade:

Transformers: Human Alliance

Presumably Movie 4 is Rise of the Dark Spark. Angry Birds Transformers Racing confuses me.

Yeah that teaser just tells me what I've known for a while and that Transformers TV is just no longer for me.

After MP Magnus I will just wash my hands of the franchise. I've had years of great memories and love, so I cant complain to much.

What does this show have to do with the MP line? They've been extremely solid, G1 designs for years, and their popularity is only growing. I don't think that MP-23 or 24 is suddenly going to be Animated Ironhide.

(That would suck major donkey balls)

Beth Cyra

What does this show have to do with the MP line? They've been extremely solid, G1 designs for years, and their popularity is only growing. I don't think that MP-23 or 24 is suddenly going to be Animated Ironhide.

(That would suck major donkey balls)

It has nothing to do with the MP line?

I said it showed me I'm done with Transformers TV and the MP line only focuses on old stuff so I'm not sure how you linked those two statements in the way you have.

For me Mecha, be it Transfomers, Gundam, Grendizer, or Getter Robo is all about design and I haven't enjoyed a Transformers design since Armada and I hate Bay, Prime, and this new shows design so I'm just going to move away from Transformers once I get my all time favorite in White Prime Magnus.

Chorazin

Woohoo, BBTS got in the MakeToys "Trash-Talk and Cogwheel" a.k.a. Swerve and Gears from IDW's MTMTE, along with the My First Blaster kit. Hopefully they ship them to me soon!

Faiz

Woohoo, BBTS got in the MakeToys "Trash-Talk and Cogwheel" a.k.a. Swerve and Gears from IDW's MTMTE, along with the My First Blaster kit. Hopefully they ship them to me soon!

Yikes, I didn't realize that was coming out already. Time to see if I can swing the scratch... Rarely buy 3rd party but this is the most I've been tempted in a long time.

It has nothing to do with the MP line?

I said it showed me I'm done with Transformers TV and the MP line only focuses on old stuff so I'm not sure how you linked those two statements in the way you have.

For me Mecha, be it Transfomers, Gundam, Grendizer, or Getter Robo is all about design and I haven't enjoyed a Transformers design since Armada and I hate Bay, Prime, and this new shows design so I'm just going to move away from Transformers once I get my all time favorite in White Prime Magnus.

I don't disagree with you, I haven't been big on new designs in quite some time.

All I was trying to say is that you seem to like some of the old designs, and the MP line tends to stick to the old designs, so perhaps writing the franchise off entirely might result in you missing out on something you might otherwise be interested in, that's all.

Either that or I misunderstood what you meant. *shrug*

Chorazin

Yikes, I didn't realize that was coming out already. Time to see if I can swing the scratch... Rarely buy 3rd party but this is the most I've been tempted in a long time.

They look amazing, so much posability in those llittle guys. Plus, Swerve having his post-SHOOMER face with him makes it so much cooler!

Beth Cyra

I don't disagree with you, I haven't been big on new designs in quite some time.

All I was trying to say is that you seem to like some of the old designs, and the MP line tends to stick to the old designs, so perhaps writing the franchise off entirely might result in you missing out on something you might otherwise be interested in, that's all.

Either that or I misunderstood what you meant. *shrug*

Magnus is the last one I would want though.

Prime, Prowl, Skywarp, and Ultra Magnus are my favorite designs from G1 and with Magnus ill own them all. The MP line are to pricey for me to just money on anything but my favorites.

Maybe one day if they bring out a RiD Omega Prime, Armada Prime, and Armada Jet Fire I might come black.

Mike M

Nick N

Prime, Prowl, Skywarp, and Ultra Magnus are my favorite designs from G1 and with Magnus ill own them all. The MP line are to pricey for me to just money on anything but my favorites.

Maybe one day if they bring out a RiD Omega Prime, Armada Prime, and Armada Jet Fire I might come black.

I emphatically doubt we'll ever see MP renditions of those, but Generations might revisit the Armada or RiD era some more.

Beth Cyra

No idea. But if so... Kinda ew? Not sure how Super Pants Prime's design is supposed to ever be made workable.
I remember Armada Prime doing very well in a poll a while back.

Still though given his Power Link im not sure if or how they would work it in and how much he would need to be. So I might be out of luck even if they made him.

No idea. But if so... Kinda ew? Not sure how Super Pants Prime's design is supposed to ever be made workable.
I just checked, Armada Prime was second on the poll with 24.3% of the votes compared to Star Saber's 31.2%.

Full list:

1. Star Saber (Transformers Victory) - 31.2%
2. Convoy (Micron Legend) / Transformers Armada Optimus Prime - 24.3%
3. Super Ginrai (Chojin Masterforce) / Powermaster Optimus Prime (Generation 1) - 18.6%
4. Dai Atlas (Transformer Zone) - 8.0%
5. Super Fire Convoy (Car Robots) / Robots in Disguise Optimus Prime - 4.9%
6. Beast Convoy / Beast Wars Optimus Primal - 4.6%
7. Galaxy Convoy (Galaxy Force) / Transformers Cybertron Optimus Prime - 2.5%
8. Big Convoy (Beast Wars Neo) - 2.1%
9. Lio Convoy (Beast Wars Second) - 2.0%
10. Grand Convoy (Transformers Super Link) / Transformers Energon Optimus Prime - 1.5%
11. Fortress Maximus (Generation 1 / The Headmasters) - 0.3%

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...ara-tomy-masterpiece-fans-choice-poll-178798/

I have no idea how the trailer pants could ever be anything more than a brick, but his regular robot mode has a great design. Supercon Prime was a pretty cool figure.

Fair enough. I'd personally be super down for a Blurr, but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

And yeah, pricey is definitely key. Especially with the recently revealed size of BB. The same price range as Prowl and company while being a whole lot smaller.

Also it bums me out that Powermaster Prime didn't win that poll. That would have been so lovely. ;_;

Beth Cyra

The truck mode wasnt the greatest, but the robot mode was amazing.

A MP of it in the sexy Full Power Color scheme would be out of this world.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'd be super down for a Masterpiece Powermaster Prime/Ginrai. Not all that excited about Star Saber since I have no real attachment to Japan-only characters. Soundblaster only gets a pass because I am a sucker for red/black repaints. I have every MP but if Star Saber is $200+ or something I will probably have to skip him.

Mike M

Nick N
Looked up Transformers Armada Optimus Prime, I forgot about how freaking hideous the Unicron Trilogy characters were.
Actually Cybertron had some of my favorite mainline toys ever. Energon was pretty solid too, certainly a laaaaaaarge step above Armada.

Tizoc

Is there an image that shows all the different designs of Optimus Prime over the decades and animated series? (Optimus Primal doesn't count BTW)

Beth Cyra

Is there an image that shows all the different designs of Optimus Prime over the decades and animated series? (Optimus Primal doesn't count BTW)
There are several official images in this style. Sadly im on my phone and cant link them.

Primal is Included along side the Primes though even though he doesnt officially have the Matrix.

Mike M

Nick N
The Unicorn trilogy toys were mostly shit. Except for mini-cons.

Hell to the fucking no. Armada was no great shake, but most of Energon (Really, almost everything outside non-super mode Prime, the Dinobots, the combined form of the combiner teams, Ironhide, Kicker, Perceptor mini-con team, and Alpha Quintesson) was great. Really, the only weakness were the deluxe and mega size class Autobots being designed around their combination gimmicks sometimes compromised the figure slightly, but they were a huge leap over Armada and were just plain *fun.* I'd take the line over any of the movie lines, Prime, maybe even Animated.

Cybertron was even better, probably one of the strongest overall toylines the franchise has ever had. Starscream, Optimus (one of the best ever, even), the Cybertron Defense upgrades, Megatron, Primus, and a bunch more I can't even remember we're phenomenal. Tons of variety, relatively unobtrusive "Cyberkey" gimmick, and even the worst of them was probably still better than Armada's best.

The fiction was awful, but don't let that reflect on the toys.

Now I want to go bust out these lines when I get home...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nah, Armada and Energon were 99% trash. Cybertron had a lot more good stuff in it by comparison, and a very good Optimus, but it was still full of vague "future _____" vehicle alt modes and "eh, close enough" design. Armada gave us Unicron, which will always be its saving grace in my book, and Energon has a good and greatly overlooked Shockwave homage, but for the most part they were forgettable toys backed by unwatchable shows. Energon in particular has almost all of its potential ruined by the half-assed combination gimmick that was shoehorned into everything. Probably the weakest single TF line of all time next to Beast Machines.

Mike M

Nick N
By no measure can Energon be considered weaker than Armada. Unicorn didn't bring the average up *that* much.

I also think you're giving disproportionate weight to the deluxe and mega sized Autobots, most of the rest of the line wasn't compromised by the need to turn into the upper or lower part of a combined robot. Even on the Autobot side of things, the two ultra-sized molds were fantastic figures. The entire line up of Omnibots and Terrorcons were great (with the possible exception of Signal Flare), and the worst that could be said about the Decepticons was that Megatron/Galvatron's vehicle mode looked like a space swan.

'Course I also happen to prefer futuristic vehicles and robot animals over the realistic stuff.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
'Course I also happen to prefer futuristic vehicles and robot animals over the realistic stuff.

Well, that'll create a divide, then. I'm not obsessed with licensed alt-modes or anything, but I much prefer alt-modes that are actually recognizable things and not just a vaguely car-shaped thing passed off as "future" or "Cybertronian" to make up for looking terrible, which the Unicron Trilogy toys did constantly.

It probably comes from being a fan from the initial outset, when the "robots in disguise" thing was taken a bit more literally in the toyline. The gimmick of having toy cars and planes that looked like they were just regular toys, but wait! It's also a robot! was super cool, and to me a good Transformer turns into a recognizable object, not just "thing on wheels/with wings and that's close enough." I don't care if it's an animal or a vehicle or even a building, it should be a convincing approximation, and for the most part the Unicron Trilogy stuff just doesn't cut it in that department for me, unless they're trying to disguise themselves as pre-school truck toys. Yes, I know that falls into the "LOL PLAYSKOOL" fandom fallacy when phrased that way, but I felt far too often in Unicron Trilogy that the alt-modes were borderline afterthoughts.

In other news, people with terrible taste have started a Facebook page in the hopes of getting James Roberts fired. Nothing is so good that someone on the internet won't hate it, I suppose.

Chorazin

So, IDW's Dark Cybertron Finale....
Megatron's now an Autobot? And they actually gave him a motivation for it that made sense? I'm impressed, and can't wait to see where they take this.

Deefuzz

Oh fantastic. There's Transformers nerds here.

Leo Dux just hit my BBTS POL.

Now I can finally ship Diesel, Trashtalk & Cogwheel!

Top Bottom