• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Considering how much its going to cost a little bit more than a recoloured MP10 with bits of blue armour to somehow cram around his body that doesn't limit limb movement.

Considering the engineering on the other MPs in recent years, I'm not too worried that Ultra Magnus is suddenly going to turn out to be a brick. Also who says the armor has to go on every limb? The arms could easily just be pure trailer, with the MP-10 arms folded in.

G1 Ultra Magnus is a white Optimus repaint with armor. That's the appeal of the figure to me, I want to see them do the greatest trailer combination that's ever been attempted on a previously unseen scale. I have no real interest in a sized-up Titanium for probably just as much money, if not more.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
DERP!

7mDMGbF.jpg

Half T-Rex, half snake?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
We have MP Magnus prototype shots!

Looks like a significant amount of retooling happening. They're not just slapping armor on MP-10, they're doing it up to have proper articulation in both modes. You can see the MP-10 remold leg on the inside of his left leg there. And the car carrier mode can carry four MP cars, which is great. The head looks weird but you're actually looking at the back of half of the head. Whereas the G1 toy had a full head that just fit over the white Prime's head, this one's armored head is two halves that fit together over the front and back of the MP-10 head. The article also states that MP-10 was designed with this retool in mind, and lists a price: 19,940 yen.

10154260_694846323895112_5675452905132691434_n.jpg

10171061_694845677228510_1631553205668089265_n.jpg

1010374_694846393895105_531141370714654423_n.jpg

Enkidu

It appears that Magnus is in fact not a heavily retooled white MP10 in armor. It's a single transformation combining the cab and the trailer, and while the alt mode is made to look like MP10 it is not possible to transform the cab into a while Prime.

Beth Cyra

It appears that Magnus is in fact not a heavily retooled white MP10 in armor. It's a single transformation combining the cab and the trailer, and while the alt mode is made to look like MP10 it is not possible to transform the cab into a while Prime.

I was worried about this due to the way the knee and lower leg was connected. It looks like a panel on the back of the leg, but it didn't look as if the front could be disconnected.

Well this is super disappointing to me to say the least. MP Magnus was going to be the highlight of the year for all figures, not just Transformers and now it's been moved to a pass.

Still I hope it turns out great.

Tizoc

Anyone read Windlblade #1?
Seeing as it takes place
6 months after Dark Cybertron, I assume their 3rd member joined the search for the Knights along with Prime and Megatron, while the other 2 remained on Cybertron.
I personally liked the art as it resembled TF Prime cartoon, but finding an image of Windblade to make an avatar of was really difficult lol.

Other than that, Galvatron gives 0 fucks:
fUvV0pg.gif

Enkidu

Anyone read Windlblade #1?
Seeing as it takes place
6 months after Dark Cybertron, I assume their 3rd member joined the search for the Knights along with Prime and Megatron, while the other 2 remained on Cybertron.
The MTMTE 28 preview confirms that Nautica joined the Lost Light.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

I was worried about this due to the way the knee and lower leg was connected. It looks like a panel on the back of the leg, but it didn't look as if the front could be disconnected.

Well this is super disappointing to me to say the least. MP Magnus was going to be the highlight of the year for all figures, not just Transformers and now it's been moved to a pass.

Still I hope it turns out great.

Some are saying that it's a two-in-one, and that the cab does transform into a robot but you can also transform him into armored mode without transforming the cab first. Others are saying the text implies there is no inner robot. I guess we'll have to wait for more details, but it's definitely not just slapping trailer pieces on a white MP-10. Multiple translations indicate that this was done to keep him roughly similar in height to MP-10, as they're not supposed to be hugely different in height.

Beth Cyra

Some are saying that it's a two-in-one, and that the cab does transform into a robot but you can also transform him into armored mode without transforming the cab first. Others are saying the text implies there is no inner robot. I guess we'll have to wait for more details, but it's definitely not just slapping trailer pieces on a white MP-10. Multiple translations indicate that this was done to keep him roughly similar in height to MP-10, as they're not supposed to be hugely different in height.

Well I plan to leave my preorder for now just encase. However my hype is pretty much dead at this point, because I highly doubt that it will be the Cab still being possible to transform.

Still though, I recognize that I'm a minority here and that the majority are probably happy as it will in all likely hood keep the price down a fair bit on top of making him more stable.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well I plan to leave my preorder for now just encase. However my hype is pretty much dead at this point, because I highly doubt that it will be the Cab still being possible to transform.

Still though, I recognize that I'm a minority here and that the majority are probably happy as it will in all likely hood keep the price down a fair bit on top of making him more stable.

Well, I wanted a white Prime version because that's what the G1 toy is. I know they go more for cartoon accuracy, but I was hoping they'd find some ingenious way of making it all work together. Even though it is a damn fine looking Magnus, I am definitely disappointed. And I feel bad for you, because I know you were excited about it. Sorry, dude.

Beth Cyra

Well, I wanted a white Prime version because that's what the G1 toy is. I know they go more for cartoon accuracy, but I was hoping they'd find some ingenious way of making it all work together. Even though it is a damn fine looking Magnus, I am definitely disappointed. And I feel bad for you, because I know you were excited about it. Sorry, dude.

Eh it happens.

Granted there is most certainly a selfish part that is kinda angry/sad, but still if it means a better product for a larger number of Magnus fans, well then I can't be to upset over it.

Ovek

7Member7
I don't care about having a white Prime/UM, I would rather have a Transformer than a partformer any day. If this does end up being a single transformation that would truly be a (pardon the pun) masterpiece of engineering.

Regardless didn't Takara already release a lazy ass repaint of Prime with MP2. ;)

Beth Cyra

I don't care about having a white Prime/UM, I would rather have a Transformer than a partformer any day. If this does end up being a single transformation that would truly be a (pardon the pun) masterpiece of engineering.

Regardless didn't Takara already release a lazy ass repaint of Prime with MP2. ;)

MP-02 is NOT a White MP-10. No reason to even bring that up, if you where to do that then you might as well just say that Classic's Prime had a White Magnus and is good enough because that is as much a MP -10 as MP-02 is.

Also having a Magnus just having a cab in his chest isn't nearly as impressive as it once might have been given the Titanium and now at least 1 if not two seperate 3rd parties having done so before MP-22 Releases.

Ovek

7Member7
MP-02 is NOT a White MP-10. No reason to even bring that up, if you where to do that then you might as well just say that Classic's Prime had a White Magnus and is good enough because that is as much a MP -10 as MP-02 is.

Ooh, touchy! ...

Also having a Magnus just having a cab in his chest isn't nearly as impressive as it once might have been given the Titanium and now at least 1 if not two seperate 3rd parties having done so before MP-22 Releases.

That depends how its done and by the looks of things it will be significantly better than the KFC C Stack.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

No, it's will be pretty lazy, actually. Even the 6 inch Titanium Magnus was able to pull off a cab-only transformation. What would have been truly impressive is if they'd managed to work out how to make MP-10 combine with a trailer and become a fully articulated cartoon-accurate Magnus while retaining what made the G1 toy cool.

The Takara MP is definitely doing some better and more intricate things with the cab than KFC Citizen Stack's "PUT THE CUBE IN MY CHEST" transformation, which looks awful from any angle except straight-on. I'm pretty sure the upper legs and hips are part of the cab, for instance. But still, it's disappointing that they couldn't make this the ultimate expression of G1 Magnus in the way that so many of the other MPs have been.

And partsforming is not inherently bad if it's what has to happen to achieve the desired result. See: Fansproject Diesel. Same deal with shellforming, and in fact one of the best TF Prime figures (PRiD Vehicon) is a shellformer. It's just a really clever shellformer, because execution counts, and if the MPs are about anything, it's masterful execution. With the possible exceptions of Rodimus and Megatron.

Beth Cyra

Ooh, touchy! ...

That depends how its done and by the looks of things it will be significantly better than the KFC C Stack.

Oh I have no doubt it will be much better then the Stack, I'm just saying the concept isn't as revolutionary as it once was.

Also, yes I am still kinda touchy. I'm one of the biggest UM fans on the board and have been talking and hoping for this MP for a VERY long time (since the MP-10 was shown) and was extremely disappointed with what was announced.

As I said earlier, I get why and I don't blame Takara or even UM fans who want this, but at the same time what ya posted was pretty fucking harsh for people like me who really do prefer this version of Ultra Magnus.

Enkidu

Personally I prefer a single transformation for Ultra Magnus, as the white Prime has never been a part of the character for me. Overall though, I wouldn't care that much about a parts forming trailer armor as long as the robot mode looked good, which is why I am actually slightly disappointed by the lack of an inner robot since I know that for some it's the main selling point.

Here's a clean scan by the way:
It's a bit weird how the cab roof is hanging down behind his legs. Since it is clearly already on a hinge it seems like it would be relatively simple to make it rotate up instead of down.

Beth Cyra

Regardless, at least they're finding a way to make him less hilariously cubic up top.

This is true. The Stack doesn't look bad from the front but the second you turn that guy sideways it's all kinds of ugly. I'm glad the MP seems to have mainly solved that issue.

Beth Cyra

Toxi

Banned
"Me Swoop want hug."

E8jyVst.jpg
I'm imagining a cutesy gen 1 cartoon version of that design where Swoop is a fast-talking comic relief who argues with himself.

Imagining saccharine versions of movie transformers always puts a smile on my face.

Tizoc

So it just fucking occured to me:
How will the DJD react to
Megatron becoming an Autobot? I mean their leader is practically a Megatron Zealot and worships him like a god

Re-reading the older volumes of MTMTE, Roberts' done an excellent job giving more backgrounds to Decepticons, it's like their own culture and society, but are still warmongring a-holes.
How come the Scavengers don't have their own mini yet? Their crazy escapades along with Grimlock would be the most fun book of the year.

So it just fucking occured to me:
How will the DJD react to
Megatron becoming an Autobot? I mean their leader is practically a Megatron Zealot and worships him like a god

Re-reading the older volumes of MTMTE, Roberts' done an excellent job giving more backgrounds to Decepticons, it's like their own culture and society, but are still warmongring a-holes.
How come the Scavengers don't have their own mini yet? Their crazy escapades along with Grimlock would be the most fun book of the year.

They will probably revisit the Scavengers and the DJD with this new development. I mean, they have to right?
I really like what Roberts has done with the Decepticons and how he portrayed their beginnings in Shadowplay and Chaos Theory.
Wednesday can't come soon enough.

aparisi2274

Hey can someone let me know if they plan on releasing a TPB for this current story arc where
Megatron joins the Autobots?

I am a HUGE Transformers man, but I do not really read comics...

Tizoc

Hey can someone let me know if they plan on releasing a TPB for this current story arc where

Of course they will, that was part of the Dark Cybertron story arc, which will be collected in 2 books. Look up Amazon.com and see what date they list for their release (I'm at work and sadly can't link to Amazon).
If you want I can give you a reading order in order to catch up with the events that lead to Dark Cybertron =)

Chorazin

Others answered your question, but if you've never read any of the comics but want to, you could do worse than stating with Last Stand of the Wreckers. :)

Tizoc

Others answered your question, but if you've never read any of the comics but want to, you could do worse than stating with Last Stand of the Wreckers. :)

transformers-last-stand-of-the-wreckers-issue-1-page-5_1264531811.jpg

Not the best quality but it's readable :p

Yeah Last Stand of the Wreckers is a great starting point. If you're a fan of the 80s animated movie give Target 2006 a read, it's among my fav. of the classic TF comic stories.

aparisi2274

Of course they will, that was part of the Dark Cybertron story arc, which will be collected in 2 books. Look up Amazon.com and see what date they list for their release (I'm at work and sadly can't link to Amazon).
If you want I can give you a reading order in order to catch up with the events that lead to Dark Cybertron =)

So it seems Vol 1 came out today, and Vol 2 will be out in July. If I wanted to read this particular story arc, can you shoot me a PM with the comics I should read that would lead into this arc...

Thanks

Top Bottom