• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Chorazin

[
zk4Ytek.jpg

Got my Kup head replacement from iGear today! Kup no longer looks like a scared old man, but a badass vet who's seen some shit. Makes the toy perfect!

NEO0MJ

So, IDW's Dark Cybertron Finale....
Megatron's now an Autobot? And they actually gave him a motivation for it that made sense? I'm impressed, and can't wait to see where they take this.

What?! Megs is an Autobot now? Might have to check this out. I wonder though if it will even last a year before he switches to being a Con again.

Got my Kup head replacement from iGear today! Kup no longer looks like a scared old man, but a badass vet who's seen some shit. Makes the toy perfect!

Wow, that looks so much better.

Enkidu

What?! Megs is an Autobot now? Might have to check this out. I wonder though if it will even last a year before he switches to being a Con again.
I don't think they will switch so quickly. He went to MTMTE and there are few Decepticons in that series for him to lead, and there are many situations which would be really interesting with Megatron as an Autobot. The Decepticons also got a new leader in Galvatron so they don't necessarily need Megatron back either.

Chorazin

I don't think they will switch so quickly. He went to MTMTE and there are few Decepticons in that series for him to lead, and there are many situations which would be really interesting with Megatron as an Autobot. The Decepticons also got a new leader in Galvatron so they don't necessarily need Megatron back either.

From what I've read, Hasbro is 100% behind these events to be the status quo for a long time to come. so that's encouraging.

Chorazin

I didn't get a chance to take any pics of them yet, but damn Trash-Talk (not Swerve) and Cogwheel (not Gears) are freaking fantastic. Super posable, simple but fun transformations, and so many awesome accessories.

Aske

Haven't read the whole thread, but would disagree with the G1 animated series detractors. Sure, there are some terrible episodes. But Desertion of the Dinobots is amazing; and if you force through season 2 and rewatch the movie, season 3 is magnificent. Perfect direcion to take the show in the movie's aftermath. Any of you who quit G1 after a few episodes, long as you remember the movie, just skip to season 3.

Also: G1 Starscream is by far my favourite asshole in any media that has ever existed. The voice, the brazenness, the cunning, the stupidity, the occasional nuggets of mocking wisdom or battle skill that compelled Megatron to keep him around despite the fact that he'd literally shoot him in the back as soon as look at him. The Megatron/Starscream dynamic never got old; the back and forth in seasons 1 and 2 were glorious every single time. And I loved his eventual death in the movie.

Starscream: may your robot ghost haunt Cybertronians forever, and occasionally possess them mysteriously.

Mike M

Nick N
The fact that the G1 cartoon hasn't aged well is just a product of the time in which it was produced. The animation errors, off model artwork, and cheesy writing was just the norm for the time.

Still, nostalgia is a powerful thing, and I will always love it. I rank it midtier over Beast Machines, RiD, and the Unicron trilogy, easily.

Chorazin

Haven't read the whole thread, but would disagree with the G1 animated series detractors. Sure, there are some terrible episodes. But Desertion of the Dinobots is amazing; and if you force through season 2 and rewatch the movie, season 3 is magnificent. Perfect direcion to take the show in the movie's aftermath. Any of you who quit G1 after a few episodes, long as you remember the movie, just skip to season 3.

Also: G1 Starscream is by far my favourite asshole in any media that has ever existed. The voice, the brazenness, the cunning, the stupidity, the occasional nuggets of mocking wisdom or battle skill that compelled Megatron to keep him around despite the fact that he'd literally shoot him in the back as soon as look at him. The Megatron/Starscream dynamic never got old; the back and forth in seasons 1 and 2 were glorious every single time. And I loved his eventual death in the movie.

Starscream: may your robot ghost haunt Cybertronians forever, and occasionally possess them mysteriously.

You should read the Robots in Disguise comic, Starscream is even a bigger dick once he finally gets what he wants, leadership.

I still watch G1 sometimes (I have all the episodes on dvd). There is some good episodes, but alot of it is cheese, but it still entertains me. I really like season 3 though, more sci-fi, space adventures, I liked it.

Season 3 became more watchable as I got older. As a kid I just could not get over the show waxing half the roster just for the Autobots to mess around in space. I watched it recently though and it made it easier to appreciate - specifically that they weren't just warriors, they were Aliens that had specific problems. Season 3 really fleshed the Transformers out as Cybertronians as opposed to just Bots and Cons.

Problem with it was there was like ZERO threat. Cybertronian wars are over! Cons are on Charr, some bumfuck planet no one gives a shit about! Most of the conflict was poor, which made Rodimus seem even worse than he was. Even as a kid I wished Springer was leader.

Prime came back and the show went to 11 again but by then it was too late.

Mike M

Nick N
I'd be really interested in the correlation between people who prefer pre or post movie cartoon and what kind of toys they prefer.

I oddly kind if straddle the line in that I like seasons 1 and 2 of the cartoon better, but season 3 toys more (mostly, there are plenty of exceptions either way.)

Aske

You should read the Robots in Disguise comic, Starscream is even a bigger dick once he finally gets what he wants, leadership.

That's what this thread is teaching me. I'm not really into the toys these days (although as a kid they were by far the coolest pre-videogame items I owned) but the comics sound fantastic.

I'd disagree with the post suggesting there was little real threat in season 3. In this post-9/11 world, the Decepticons' random acts of brutality and attempted power grabs, combined with the Quintessons' machinations, and all the delicate Cybertronian galactic political relations has a great deal of resonnance. It reminds me of Star Trek TNG in that respect.

But really, just watch it for Galvatron and Cyclonus. Mainly the latter. I get chills every time the narrator promotes, "The sleek and awesome Cyclonus..." Also hugely cool to see a Decepticon warrior with a sense of honour, despite his unwavering lloyatly to Galvatron. To think he started life as a Starscream palette swap - I forget if Unicron created him from Thundercracker or Skywarp. But in terms of characters, he is the reason to watch season 3.

Chorazin

But really, just watch it for Galvatron and Cyclonus. Mainly the latter. I get chills every time the narrator promotes, "The sleek and awesome Cyclonus..." Also hugely cool to see a Decepticon warrior with a sense of honour, despite his unwavering lloyatly to Galvatron. To think he started life as a Starscream palette swap - I forget if Unicron created him from Thundercracker or Skywarp. But in terms of characters, he is the reason to watch season 3.

Cyclonus is fucking AWESOME in More Than Meets the Eye. Yeah, you need to be reading the comics ASAP.

Faiz

The upcoming Phase 2 IDW Collection Hardcovers are likely the best way to get into the current run of comics - oversized hardcovers covering about 12 issues of Robots in Disguise, More than Meets the Eye, and related 1 shots/specials - for about $35 on Amazon. Considering the singles are $4 cover price it's a great deal. Unless you really just have to go the digital route, the Phase 2 hardcovers will be the definitive way to read them.

Some of the Phase 1 material is great too, but a lot of it is terribad. The books themselves are beautiful though.

Mindwipe

The fact that the G1 cartoon hasn't aged well is just a product of the time in which it was produced. The animation errors, off model artwork, and cheesy writing was just the norm for the time.

Still, nostalgia is a powerful thing, and I will always love it. I rank it midtier over Beast Machines, RiD, and the Unicron trilogy, easily.

Nostalgia and the fact it actually does one of the key tenets of the series better than almost anywhere else. Robots *in disguise*, which is virtually ignored since. The actual RID series is the only other show that has actually made sense and used one of Transformers most awesome concepts when you're a kid - that the other cars in the street could actually be alien robots fighting a secret war.

I'll grant you, the movies have also used it a bit. But they're goddamned terrible so who cares.

Chorazin

Nostalgia and the fact it actually does one of the key tenets of the series better than almost anywhere else. Robots *in disguise*, which is virtually ignored since. The actual RID series is the only other show that has actually made sense and used one of Transformers most awesome concepts when you're a kid - that the other cars in the street could actually be alien robots fighting a secret war.

I'll grant you, the movies have also used it a bit. But they're goddamned terrible so who cares.

I really wish RiD was on Netflix!

Beth Cyra

I love RiD, granted a part of that is because of the Prime/Magnus dynamic, but even without that it was a great show.

My only real problem was the stupid kid and loli version of T-1, it was really a precursor to the Armada trilogy and their shitty human characters. Still it was much better then all three of the Unicorn series.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I like the Deluxe Dinobots, but both Voyager and Leader Grimlock look pretty bad. Not that I dislike the design, but I don't think they translated the design to either toy well at all. That Crosshairs doesn't even look like it's from the same line as the others. I had to look up if that was the "simple" version at first.

Ah well, money saved. At this rate I may just pick up the four Dinobots and call it a day.

Tizoc

That's what this thread is teaching me. I'm not really into the toys these days (although as a kid they were by far the coolest pre-videogame items I owned) but the comics sound fantastic.

I'd disagree with the post suggesting there was little real threat in season 3. In this post-9/11 world, the Decepticons' random acts of brutality and attempted power grabs, combined with the Quintessons' machinations, and all the delicate Cybertronian galactic political relations has a great deal of resonnance. It reminds me of Star Trek TNG in that respect.

I would recommend the following reading order for the Transformers comics:
Transformers #22 and 23 (Chaos Theory Part 1 and 2); These are also collected in the TPB Chaos Theory which was part of a major arc during that period, but you really only want these 2 issues because of Megatron and Optimus Prime
Last Stand of the Wreckers TPB
More than Meets the Eye Vol. 1
Robots in Disguise

There's also a TPB collecting one shots that James wrote but its name escapes me atm.
Non the less Robots in Disguise is good if you like more Starscream, but for great characterization def. read More than meets the eyes.

Aske

I would recommend the following reading order for the Transformers comics:
Transformers #22 and 23 (Chaos Theory Part 1 and 2); These are also collected in the TPB Chaos Theory which was part of a major arc during that period, but you really only want these 2 issues because of Megatron and Optimus Prime
Last Stand of the Wreckers TPB
More than Meets the Eye Vol. 1
Robots in Disguise

There's also a TPB collecting one shots that James wrote but its name escapes me atm.
Non the less Robots in Disguise is good if you like more Starscream, but for great characterization def. read More than meets the eyes.

Appreciated!

Tizoc

Appreciated!

You're welcome~
Cyclonus is featured heavily in More than meets the eye. In the current comic continuity, Cyclonus is not a Decepticon since he's from the era before the war and thus is just a Cybertronian Warrior. A badass Cybertronian Warrior at that.

EDIT: Ah the Transformers TPB you should also get is 'Transformers Spotlight: Dark Prelude', but read this after reading the last TPB of Mtmte

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, it's almost as if toy design and qualty have regressed.

I assume this is snarky sarcasm, but considering Crosshairs suffers from it and the Deluxe Dinobots do not (let alone most of the 2014 Generations non-movie line), it's clearly not a universal condition, so I'm not sure what your point is. It's one bad toy, not a sea change in toy construction.

Chorazin

My GF got me the Last Stand of the Wreckers hardcover collection for our anniversary, so much awesome stuff added to that book! Makes the wait for the third party version of Ironfist that much harder.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Good size, good details, but damn that huge block of truck cab sitting there in his torso looks awful. Will wait for the HasTak MP.

The price for MP Magnus is currently pretty ridiculous too, so I hope it looks smashing since it's going to be pricier than this.

Unless BBTS is just way overestimating, I dunno. I imagine not, though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Bet the MP Ultra Magnus is just a white MP10 with armour bits to stick on. ;)

So exactly what it's supposed to be, then? Using MP-10 as the core will let them avoid the issues with the chest that the KFC and Titanium Magnuses (Magni?) suffer from.

Beth Cyra

So exactly what it's supposed to be, then? Using MP-10 as the core will let them avoid the issues with the chest that the KFC and Titanium Magnuses (Magni?) suffer from.

Yeah, even if I wasn't a a huge White Magnus fan, shouldn't people want that to be what MP Magnus is?

As far as the KFC goes, that chest is way to big, and I actually have a problem with the shoulder rockets. They are pretty accurate from what I can see, but Magnus's shoulder rockets have this really ugly cartoon look that just doesn't translate well to a toy.

Ovek

7Member7

Considering how much its going to cost a little bit more than a recoloured MP10 with bits of blue armour to somehow cram around his body that doesn't limit limb movement.

That would be a start, it could also have a button on the back that makes him fall apart whilst screaming :p

Top Bottom