• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is that Powerglide? Haha, awesome. Superion looks rad. Poor Menasor.

Yeah, he can turn into a gun for Superion or be plugged into the normal gun to make a bigger weirder gun.

Hey no need to say sorry. Every time I'm disappointed most Magnus fans are happy and I have no desire to ruin their enjoyment.

Good looking is a Magnus so gratz to his fans.

Yeah but as someone who knows how important certain characters can be to someone, it sucks that your preferred version of Magnus has been so thoroughly marginalized. Outside of insanely priced supercollector items like that Ultimetal, of course.

Size comparison:
FO6ChFi.jpg

Beth Cyra

It does suck for me that much is true.

Still though if my version of Magnus doesn't sell then I can't lay blame on anyone other then my own taste.

Sides if I'm to be completely honest with myself I have to get over the price and get Ultimate,there will never likely be a Magnus that captures my type .more then that if they release the armor seen in those pics.

Ovek

7Member7
The titan Devastator is growing on me the more pictures I see of it.

Ultra Magnus looks cool, actually that does it a disservice I think Hasbro have knocked it out of the park, not a hollow arm or leg in sight!

Cyclonus as a remold or not looks damn good.

Defensor combined looks like a mess but the individual bots look quite nice.

Finally got a used Masterpiece Soundwave for a semi-decent price on ebay. Didn't come with all the cassettes or accessories but that's okay.

Laserbeak is definitely the best of the cassette designs. The way it snaps together and forms into the exact same Laserbeak from the cartoon is incredibly satisfying. I've got him perched up on Soundwave's shoulder right now but he'll probably end up on his arm soon. Ravage on the other hand feels very delicate and his feet are super loose. And really, probably the least accurate translation from the cartoon.

My biggest gripe is probably just the fact that Hasbro went and gave him a yellow visor. G1 cartoon Soundwave is supposed to have red eyes and that's what the Japanese release had, but when it made it over here to American toy stores, they needlessly changed the eyes so now it's not accurate to the cartoon. A real shame.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Defensor combined looks like a mess but the individual bots look quite nice.

I'm guessing there's some mistransformation going on there with the torso. Considering how much work went into letting Silverbolt cover up the gaps in torso mode, I don't think that weird wasp waist on Defensor is correct.

Ovek

7Member7
My biggest gripe is probably just the fact that Hasbro went and gave him a yellow visor. G1 cartoon Soundwave is supposed to have red eyes and that's what the Japanese release had, but when it made it over here to American toy stores, they needlessly changed the eyes so now it's not accurate to the cartoon. A real shame.

One of the best MP figures! Have a dig through tfw2005 boards as several people on there made replacement eye light pipes for the Hasbro Soundwave, was awhile ago though so you might be out of luck.

One of the best MP figures! Have a dig through tfw2005 boards as several people on there made replacement eye light pipes for the Hasbro Soundwave, was awhile ago though so you might be out of luck.

Oh, I'll probably just buy reprolabels stickers, they have one for a red visor.

Ovek

7Member7
I'm guessing there's some mistransformation going on there with the torso. Considering how much work went into letting Silverbolt cover up the gaps in torso mode, I don't think that weird wasp waist on Defensor is correct.

Probably, will be interesting to see in a proper press shot. Dunno why Groove is stuck on it's chest though, it's not as if they have tried to keep scale or anything in the past. If they wanted him small they could have had him transform into a gun like Power Glide.

Everything from Combiner Wars is looking amazing!!

No word on new Masterpieces tho?

Also it looks like the Kreo's actually transform now?!?! Sweet!!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Probably, will be interesting to see in a proper press shot. Dunno why Groove is stuck on it's chest though, it's not as if they have tried to keep scale or anything in the past. If they wanted him small they could have had him transform into a gun like Power Glide.

Blackjack is also a chest add-on, so they're just mixing it up. Considering Menasor's chest without Blackjack attached is very reminiscent of G1 Menasor's chest, I would not be surprised if there's a fairly G1 Defensor looking chest under Groove for those who don't like the chest armor thing.

Everything from Combiner Wars is looking amazing!!

No word on new Masterpieces tho?

Masterpieces are Takara's thing more than Hasbro's. Tracks has been all but confirmed as the next MP after Star Saber and Exhaust.

Faiz

Having now seen the robot modes for the Constructicons, I'm really having major second thoughts. Mixmaster is the only halfway decent one.

But really, I'd just keep them in Devastator mode, right?

Right?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Having now seen the robot modes for the Constructicons, I'm really having major second thoughts. Mixmaster is the only halfway decent one.

But really, I'd just keep them in Devastator mode, right?

Right?

Corners will be cut to keep it affordable. This isn't going to be Maketoys Giant or TFC Hercules, just by virtue of its price point. For the price of 1 1/2 Hercbots you get a pretty good Constructicon team that combines into the largest combiner of all time. I'd say that's delivering on what was promised. Who's buying the 18-inch combiner to display him as his individual bots?

The real star of today's reveals is Ultra Magnus, though. Way better than what I'd hoped it would turn out to be.

Faiz

Corners will be cut to keep it affordable. This isn't going to be Maketoys Giant or TFC Hercules, just by virtue of its price point. For the price of 1 1/2 Hercbots you get a pretty good Constructicon team that combines into the largest combiner of all time. I'd say that's delivering on what was promised. Who's buying the 18-inch combiner to display him as his individual bots?

The real star of today's reveals is Ultra Magnus, though. Way better than what I'd hoped it would turn out to be.

Well no, obviously not, but when comparing the bots to the Aerialbots, aerial bots win hands down.

Ovek

7Member7
Why does Cyclonus have a Galvatron head?

Did something happen in the comics.

He becomes the body of Galvatronus (lol) dunno if it's in the comics as I haven't been following them recently, need to get back in to them.

EDIT: I also think it's being released as a body only (no limbs) that you stick other combiner wars figures on to, much like the Optimus Prime figure.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well no, obviously not, but when comparing the bots to the Aerialbots, aerial bots win hands down.

This comes down to economics. 3/5 Aerialbots are using the same mold. 4/6 if you count Slingshot. Silverbolt is being remolded into at least Cyclonus, if not more later. Alpha Bravo will be remolded into Blades and probably Vortex later. All those extra uses mean more money can be spent on those molds because they will result in a certain amount of income for Hasbro over the course of a year or two.

The Constructicons, on the other hand, are six totally different molds, and those six molds are only good for this set. There will almost certainly be a G2 colored version of the set as an SDCC exclusive, likely produced at the same time as the mass retail green version, but the upshot is that these molds will be used for one thing and one thing only, and that puts the revenue potential at a certain point. As a result, simplifying the individual robots is what they did to keep the set within its established budget, focusing on making the combined mode as good as it could be. It's just one of the unfortunate realities of the toy industry: Tooling a steel mold is very, very expensive, and the more joints and hinges on a figure, the more separate pieces you need to produce, meaning more molds.

Faiz

This comes down to economics. 3/5 Aerialbots are using the same mold. 4/6 if you count Slingshot. Silverbolt is being remolded into at least Cyclonus, if not more later. Alpha Bravo will be remolded into Blades and probably Vortex later. All those extra uses mean more money can be spent on those molds because they will result in a certain amount of income for Hasbro over the course of a year or two.

The Constructicons, on the other hand, are six totally different molds, and those six molds are only good for this set. There will almost certainly be a G2 colored version of the set as an SDCC exclusive, likely produced at the same time as the mass retail green version, but the upshot is that these molds will be used for one thing and one thing only, and that puts the revenue potential at a certain point. As a result, simplifying the individual robots is what they did to keep the set within its established budget, focusing on making the combined mode as good as it could be. It's just one of the unfortunate realities of the toy industry: Tooling a steel mold is very, very expensive, and the more joints and hinges on a figure, the more separate pieces you need to produce, meaning more molds.

Thank you for the lesson?

Seriously, you aren't telling me anything I don't know, but the physical realities just have no impact on my appreciation, or lack thereof, for the individual bots.

For some it is. That's ok too. We just disagree.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Thank you for the lesson?

Seriously, you aren't telling me anything I don't know, but the physical realities just have no impact on my appreciation, or lack thereof, for the individual bots.

For some it is. That's ok too. We just disagree.

Well, your comparison was apples and oranges, so it didn't sound like you knew it at all. I'm not thrilled that Scrapper has no elbows and Hook/Mixmaster have gorilla arms, either, but economic realities of the toy business are what they are. The other options were for Hasbro to not make it at all or to not give the individual components robot modes at all like the RotF Supreme Devastator. Well, in theory they could have charged $200+ for it, but that was never going to happen.

I mean buy it or don't buy it, but the amount of outrage in the fandom over "Elbowgate," which is actually a term the TFW posters are using without irony right now, has this weird tinge of "Hasbro is fucking with us intentionally" to it.

Faiz

Well, your comparison was apples and oranges, so it didn't sound like you knew it at all. I'm not thrilled that Scrapper has no elbows and Hook/Mixmaster have gorilla arms, either, but economic realities of the toy business are what they are. The other options were for Hasbro to not make it at all or to not give the individual components robot modes at all like the RotF Supreme Devastator. Well, in theory they could have charged $200+ for it, but that was never going to happen.

I mean buy it or don't buy it, but the amount of outrage in the fandom over "Elbowgate," which is actually a term the TFW posters are using without irony right now, has this weird tinge of "Hasbro is fucking with us intentionally" to it.

LOL. No comparison is perfect, man. But the bolded bit above really says everything that needs to be said about this interchange.

"I'm not thrilled". That's pretty much all I was saying, too. Not thrilled by it, having second thoughts about buying it, but the bot modes probably don't matter because I'd be keeping it in gestalt mode anyway. We come from basically the same place of not being thrilled by it, our take away is just different. You are, apparently, still thoroughly committed, and I'm now on the fence. I wasn't even complaining that much, but somehow my reconsiderations have warranted not one but two lectures.

Honestly it sounds like you are more irritated with other people anyway so maybe you should go argue with them instead.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm not thoroughly committed, actually. I already have two third-party Devastators, so I'm going to need to see this one in person before I decide for sure. Honestly it sounds like you have trouble handling reasoned disagreement, since you insist on characterizing things as "lessons" and "lectures."

Hasbro has also pointed out that Scrapper's arms are key load-bearing points, so elbows would have only served to weaken pieces that have to help hold up half the combined robot. I'll buy that, I suppose.

Faiz

I'm not thoroughly committed, actually. I already have two third-party Devastators, so I'm going to need to see this one in person before I decide for sure. Honestly it sounds like you have trouble handling reasoned disagreement, since you insist on characterizing things as "lessons" and "lectures."

Hahaha, ok man. This was dumb before, now we're going into bizarre territory.

Let's just leave it at it's a matter of taste and what you are willing to accept. Nothing else really ever needed to be said.

This whole Combiner Wars thing is fucking terrible. I haven't bought a Transformer since I was quite young but looking at the Aerialbots, Protectobots, Constructicons and Stunticons alongside these amazing new figures like a brand new Armada Megatron, Ultra Magnus and Voyagers being interchangeable with the main bodies of the combiners it's really hard to not drop some cash getting these.

-edit-
Is there an image of Cyclonus' Galvatron head?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hahaha, ok man. This was dumb before, now we're going into bizarre territory.

Let's just leave it at it's a matter of taste and what you are willing to accept. Nothing else really ever needed to be said.

The constant mischaracterization of the discussion is pretty bizarre, I agree, but whatever gets you through it.

This whole Combiner Wars thing is fucking terrible. I haven't bought a Transformer since I was quite young but looking at the Aerialbots, Protectobots, Constructicons and Stunticons alongside these amazing new figures like a brand new Armada Megatron, Ultra Magnus and Voyagers being interchangeable with the main bodies of the combiners it's really hard to not drop some cash getting these.

-edit-
Is there an image of Cyclonus' Galvatron head?

Just a silhouette on the poll from the official app. The usual Galvatron crown shape is very visible.

I'm still undecided on a couple things shown, but the only thing in the Toy Fair lineup I know I won't be getting is Warpath.

Beth Cyra

I don't generally promote KO's I like authentic Hasbro/Takara stuff but I just saw the MP 10u and I got to say it looks really good.

I think I'm going to grab it, but I might grab the IDW Magnus to pose next to Him so I have an Armored Magnus to go next to Prime Magnus.

Tizoc

Why does Cyclonus have a Galvatron head?

Did something happen in the comics.

I'm guessing they're using the mold for Galvatron's head for the new figure? Cyclonus hasn't seen Galvatron in the comics yet and his head is the usual design.

Ovek

7Member7
I don't generally promote KO's I like authentic Hasbro/Takara stuff but I just saw the MP 10u and I got to say it looks really good.

I think I'm going to grab it, but I might grab the IDW Magnus to pose next to Him so I have an Armored Magnus to go next to Prime Magnus.

Yeah from what I've seen the KO MP10 figures are extremely good.

I don't like KOs at all but KO MP10 in some ways is better than the original.

Beth Cyra

I don't like KOs at all but KO MP10 in some ways is better than the original.
Yeah I've heard that.

Honestly I dont want to buy the KO but at this point it's likely the only way I will be getting MP 10 Magnus and as Matt knows I've been crying for a while all for that and that way I can stop bothering Transformer Gaf about it lol.

That mold just looks so Damn good in Magnus colors.

NEO0MJ

That new Leader Ultra Magnus looks so hot.

Not pictured, the ability to combine one of its rifles and the missile launchers on his shoulder into a hammer and a transforming Minimus Ambus that fits inside.

Mike M

Nick N
Saw some of the Combiner Wars figures in the wild for the first time today. Granted they can't possibly compete with the high end collector figures, but for mass market updates of the original G1 characters, they're pretty good looking. If I had the disposable income, I would get this whole line.

Cross promoting Dragstrip as a part of Superion is a little weird. I get what they were going for, but even knowing it's just weird.

But OMFG, what is with the low-res pixelated card art? Makes these look like knock offs.

Beth Cyra

That new Leader Ultra Magnus looks so hot.

Not pictured, the ability to combine one of its rifles and the missile launchers on his shoulder into a hammer and a transforming Minimus Ambus that fits inside.
Best Magnus since RiD. I really prefer this to MP22.

aparisi2274

so, almost a month after buying a sealed MP-11 on ebay, it was finally delivered today, and I am so glad I double dipped on Starscream (I had the Original with e realistic paint scheme).

This MP is so nice...

16389527858_d685fa4266_c.jpg

16575532751_22f8f676f0_c.jpg

16576052982_1b41ffa9b0_c.jpg

One thing... is there a way to change the expression on his face? I could've sworn there was a way to rotate it, so that he has more of a smirk on his face.

NEO0MJ

Best Magnus since RiD. I really prefer this to MP22.

Yeah. I don't know why MPs are sticking so close to the original designs now, they took more liberty with them at first.

One thing... is there a way to change the expression on his face? I could've sworn there was a way to rotate it, so that he has more of a smirk on his face.

Yes, they should. Toy around with the helmet and you'll probably find the panel you can open and rotate the face with.

What? Why?! Seems pretty strange to take out a feature. Isn't this just a recolor, not a remold?
Nah, it's a pretty extensive retool, including a brand new head sculpt.

There are things I like and dislike about both versions, but at the end of the day I already have a trio of seekers in the first mold, including Takara Skywarp and Thundercracker, so shelling out for the new ones seems a bit much.

Just got my MP-21 Bumblebee. It's pretty tiny compared to the other MPs, but still a worthy addition to my collection. I think I have all of the MPs I want now, after I recently shelled out for the coronation Starscream to replace my Greenscream. The next decisions will probably whether to get an MP-10 to replace my 20th Anniversary Prime, and whether I want a new Megatron if it ever comes out.

Firemind

I didn't know Ultra Magnus has so many diehard fans. He always came off as a bland character from every incarnation I've seen him in. His execution scene in TFTM and then his resurrection despite being blown to bits (using magical Junkian car polish might I add) were straight-up embarrassing. Optimus Prime am cry.

Top Bottom