• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

muteki

Scorponok actually hanging in there with the vote, 2714 to Trip's 2749.

Maybe the results will be close enough to warrant releases for both :)

Firemind

The MP stuff in the new Generations book all look fantastic. Shockwave looks absolutely gorgeous and the transformation looks incredible. MP Ironhide's transformation looks real cool too. I think Hot Rod's looking much better in these pics as well, though I'm not sure what's changed. I think it's just the posing.
?

I looked up Generations and... why is Blitzwing a joke character with a rotating face?

Drayco21

12274561_928314967238698_331808008235860539_n.jpg

Aw yiss dinosaurs

BTW I was reading TVTropes and gotta ask something about Getaway
what issues had him try to wedge between Cyclonus and Tailgate? I swear I never noticed that o_O

The last couple issues focusing on the Lost Light crew have had Geaway being kinda skeevy.
He lies about the things Cyclonus says about Tailgate to drive a wedge between them while schmoozing up to him himself, he talks shit about Rung and then backtracks and tries to play it off as a joke when Skids calls him on it, all things considered, I've slowly come to agree with the camp that think Getaway is actually a plant on the crew from Tyrest, and hopefully this all builds to Tyrest and Star Saber's return, because they and Pharma's alliance is the coolest villains we've had in this book so far.

?

I looked up Generations and... why is Blitzwing a joke character with a rotating face?

Homage to the best incarnation of the character?

NEO0MJ

That Overlord should be great next to MP Star Saber. They really need to announce Victory Leo soon please.

That would push me to buy MP Star Saber.

?

Like Drayco mentioned this is something they brought over from his Transformers Animated Incarnation, who had three split personalities who also effected his power. Even Transformers Devastation referenced it with his fire and ice attacks, which correspond to his angry and calm personalities. His crazy one was pure explosions, or was it a mix of fire and ice? Its been ages.

TreIII

That's one thing about the MTMTE book that I'm quickly finding has been a point of contention among the few TF fans I know in RL. I'm still catching up, but I'm actually liking all the interpersonal relationships between the Lost Lighters, while others have been getting a bit tired of all the "Conjunxing" drama.

Getting a bit concerned for my boy, Grimlock, though.

Mike M

Nick N
TFA Blitzwing is absolutely not a joke character. He's competent as shit and only ever seems to be defeated by Autobot plot armor.

All the Decepticons in general in TFA were all pretty much capable of soloing the entire Autobot crew. Even the "big dumb" character Lugnut wasn't dumb so much as he was a fanatical zealot of Megatron.

Man, I really miss TFA... If the character designs hadn't been so wonky, it would have been better received...

Drayco21

All the Decepticons in general in TFA were all pretty much capable of soloing the entire Autobot crew. Even the "big dumb" character Lugnut wasn't dumb so much as he was a fanatical zealot of Megatron.

This is one of my favorite parts of the first half of Animated; the Decepticons are actually a huge deal, and are treated as such every time they show up. Every one of them is easily stronger than th e entire cast of Autobots and they're actually afraid of a straight-up engagement with any of them. They end up worfing more and more as they appear more often later on, but the way they're presented as a massive threat for a good portion of the show was a really fun divergence from most cartoon villains.

Firemind

TFA Blitzwing is absolutely not a joke character. He's competent as shit and only ever seems to be defeated by Autobot plot armor.

Man, I really miss TFA... If the character designs hadn't been so wonky, it would have been better received...
Fair enough.

Blitzwing is one of my favourite Decepticons, so naturally I'm a bit defensive. The character proportions are indeed wonky, but that's the animation style I suppose. Honestly the biggest problem is that he looks nothing like G1 Blitzwing at all. He looks more like Megs to be honest with the helm.

The Voyager Blitzwing is... not much better. They have the colours right, but that is one slim looking Blitzwing. I'm also not a fan of the futuristic vehicle modes. Can't wait for Takara's version of him! Honestly, MP triple changers would make me fangasm uncontrollably. That and gestalts (which will cost an arm and a leg if they want to make them size accurate.)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Scorponok actually hanging in there with the vote, 2714 to Trip's 2749.

Maybe the results will be close enough to warrant releases for both :)

They have designs for all three, and all three will probably get releases eventually. This is mainly to determine who goes first. However, I have it on good authority that, even if you're more of a Scorponok fan, Trypticon is the design you probably want to see get made. It reportedly has some pretty cool features.

NEO0MJ

Fair enough.

Blitzwing is one of my favourite Decepticons, so naturally I'm a bit defensive. The character proportions are indeed wonky, but that's the animation style I suppose. Honestly the biggest problem is that he looks nothing like G1 Blitzwing at all. He looks more like Megs to be honest with the helm.

The Voyager Blitzwing is... not much better. They have the colours right, but that is one slim looking Blitzwing. I'm also not a fan of the futuristic vehicle modes. Can't wait for Takara's version of him! Honestly, MP triple changers would make me fangasm uncontrollably. That and gestalts (which will cost an arm and a leg if they want to make them size accurate.)

Animated Blitzwing had a German accent, and they probably changed his helmet design to bring to mind a stereotypical WW II German helmet. His angry face was similar to his G1 face, though. As for the design change that's to be expected. In the end he isn't G1 Blitzwing, though he does share some elements like the color scheme and the back turret.

And yeah, the generation toy is a little too slim. But how the Takara version any different, other than color scheme?

yami4ct

?

I was actually referencing the Japanese book called Generations. It's a yearly design book and this year has a lot of the new Masterpiece figures. 'Generations' can also refer to the US line, as you have found out.

As for Blitz, people here have covered that. It's a reference to Animated Blitzwing which has become a massively popular iteration of the character. One of the faces offered is his standard G1 face, so if you're not a fan of the changing gimmick you can ignore it.

That would push me to buy MP Star Saber.

I would recommend against it. The first modern (Post-Convoy 2.0) that I'd consider outright bad. What a rushed, poor-QC mess. Such a massive disappointment. I keep him because you can make him look good, but he's really hard to work with and feels flimsy as hell.

muteki

They have designs for all three, and all three will probably get releases eventually. This is mainly to determine who goes first. However, I have it on good authority that, even if you're more of a Scorponok fan, Trypticon is the design you probably want to see get made. It reportedly has some pretty cool features.

I can certainly appreciate the unique nature of Tryptocon (and Omega Supreme, if done right) when it comes to transformation design, in comparison to Scorponok which is relatively simple in comparison.

But when I was 8 years old Scorponok was a cool space scorpion, and Tryptocon was a larger purple Grimlock with no robot mode.

Today I think any of them will be great, but I fear that all 3 will take too long to release and something crazy like the TF toy market could fizzle out and those later on could be canceled or downgraded. But Devastator was great, Fort Max shows promise at least, hopefully the success can continue.

yami4ct

I kind of doubt they have full designs of all 3, since this poll is for the 2017 Titan. They have the key art that they've shown and the engineers might have initial ideas, but I doubt they've gone through the full design process on all 3 when the first one is over a year out.

I think they will all come out eventually, but I don't think they are very far along.

Today I think any of them will be great, but I fear that all 3 will take too long to release and something crazy like the TF toy market could fizzle out and those later on could be canceled or downgraded. But Devastator was great, Fort Max shows promise at least, hopefully the success can continue.

The TF toy market has survived pretty handily for 30 years and we've pretty much always gotten the 1 large tentpole release probably for the last 15. It's been doing particularly well since 2007 and gets a massive boost whenever the movies hit. I don't think there's any danger of us not getting 1 Titan a year for the next 4 years.

Faiz

Blitzwing was the only triple changer I had as a kid so he has a special place in my heart too. I open virtually everything, yet my Voyager Blitzwing sits unopened since release. I feel ya.

Tizoc

Blitzwing is a boss in TF Devastation, on higher difficulties he wrecks your shit real fast oof.

That's one thing about the MTMTE book that I'm quickly finding has been a point of contention among the few TF fans I know in RL. I'm still catching up, but I'm actually liking all the interpersonal relationships between the Lost Lighters, while others have been getting a bit tired of all the "Conjunxing" drama.

Getting a bit concerned for my boy, Grimlock, though.

He'll be back, just wait.

The Conjux thing is merely to add more depth to the society, but it doesn't bother me much since characterization manages to make you overlook it.

yami4ct

Looks like Titan Devastator is releasing on December 12th. Closer than I expected!

Now the question. Do I ship him right away or hold back until the Gundam MG V2 comes in? I think I'll ship him and the Hyaku-Shiki 2.0 I have in my Private Warehouse right away and hold V2 until MP Ironhide hits in January, but since V2 is a favorite of mine that one's gonna hurt.

Tizoc

The last couple issues focusing on the Lost Light crew have had Geaway being kinda skeevy.
He lies about the things Cyclonus says about Tailgate to drive a wedge between them while schmoozing up to him himself, he talks shit about Rung and then backtracks and tries to play it off as a joke when Skids calls him on it, all things considered, I've slowly come to agree with the camp that think Getaway is actually a plant on the crew from Tyrest, and hopefully this all builds to Tyrest and Star Saber's return, because they and Pharma's alliance is the coolest villains we've had in this book so far.

Can't believe I hadn't noticed that but that is a good theory.
Gonna re-read the previous issues to make note of it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I kind of doubt they have full designs of all 3, since this poll is for the 2017 Titan. They have the key art that they've shown and the engineers might have initial ideas, but I doubt they've gone through the full design process on all 3 when the first one is over a year out.

I think they will all come out eventually, but I don't think they are very far along.

They don't have 3D modeling done for them, but they have paper designs for all of them. Toys this big and complex take up to two years from concept to production, and since any of the three could win the poll, they had to be ready to move forward with any of the three.

yami4ct

They don't have 3D modeling done for them, but they have paper designs for all of them. Toys this big and complex take up to two years from concept to production, and since any of the three could win the poll, they had to be ready to move forward with any of the three.

The turnaround for MP Star Saber wasn't that long, but I guess that's sort of a different case. I also really hope this doesn't turn into a Star Saber scenario. You can feel the rushed development with that figure. My biggest worry about this poll, and one that has been borne out through the Fan's Choice stuff in general.

NEO0MJ

D:

Okay... so I'll just call him by his unofficial name. Blitzkrieg.

Ha. Though yeah, they probably went with it because of the Blitz part.

I would recommend against it. The first modern (Post-Convoy 2.0) that I'd consider outright bad. What a rushed, poor-QC mess. Such a massive disappointment. I keep him because you can make him look good, but he's really hard to work with and feels flimsy as hell.

That's unfortunate. If he can barely stand on his own I doubt he can handle the kibble that comes with Leo.

As much shit as Dreamwave got, at least they had some kickass illustrators.

A lot of them actually transferred to IDW, but some went freelance or to other companies.

Looks like Titan Devastator is releasing on December 12th. Closer than I expected!

Is that the Takara release? Took a long time. I know that they made adjustments but still.

yami4ct

That's unfortunate. If he can barely stand on his own I doubt he can handle the kibble that comes with Leo.

Is that the Takara release? Took a long time. I know that they made adjustments but still.

Yeah, the Takara release. I think the December date was more because Takara usually releases 1 major TF product a year in that spot. Last year, it was MP UM. This year was Devy. It was more for the fact he's their tentpole rather than them needing the extra time. He looked pretty much done when he was unveiled early this year.

As for Star Saber, he actually stands quite well. That's not really the issue. The QC is terrible. Parts don't fit well and almost every figure I've seen has one of the ratcheting arms actually doesn't work. If you try to put the shield in his left hand, it will just fall down as the ratchet doesn't work. I've yet to see one without this issue.

You then have the problem that everything feels flimsy. I feel like I'm going to break him all the time. This is most notable in how the Saber part fits into the chest cavity. The release mechanisms are small and thin as hell and you really have to force it in. I'm 100% certain that if I played with this guy as much as I do other MPs, those would wear down and the chest would no longer latch in. I also feel a similar fear about Saber's legs.

The whole figure just feel rushed. It's a a shame, because he looks really unique and cool. I'll still buy Victory Leo if it comes, I'm a masochist, but I can't recommend buying Star Saber unless you're a massive fan or can get an amazing deal.

Cheerilee

D:

Okay... so I'll just call him by his unofficial name. Blitzkrieg.

Animated Blitzwing's "hot" personality is basically a parody of Arnold Schwarzenegger (Austrian, not German), and his "icy" personality wears a monocle, like Colonel Klink (or any number of other German WWII officers).

Herbs

Banned
MP Shockwave is looking so good. Makes me eager to see what they can do with Megatron for Version 2 if they ever get around to him.

TreIII

He'll be back, just wait.

The Conjux thing is merely to add more depth to the society, but it doesn't bother me much since characterization manages to make you overlook it.

And I mean, as it long as MTMTE isn't turning into a High School AU, I'm largely fine with that. Besides, the whole arc with Pharma and co. was some good reading, and I hope we get more of that.

NEO0MJ

And I mean, as it long as MTMTE isn't turning into a High School AU, I'm largely fine with that. Besides, the whole arc with Pharma and co. was some good reading, and I hope we get more of that.

Star Saber was the best. I didn't watch his show but I know that wasn't how he originally was, but I'm glad they changed him. I wonder how some of the original creators of SS feel about his current personality.

Tizoc

What was the last volume you read? Cuz shit starts getting whack from Vol. 4 onwards.
And the villains more fucked up-er.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I'd be really surprised if they do that anytime soon. It seems that they want us to accept the Combiner Wars Leader Megatron as our replacement for now.

I, for one, welcome our new tank overlord (not to be confused with our tank Overlord).

That is astounding. I'd consider buying this if I saw it.

Remember it's not like the original PM Prime, in that the cab doesn't transform into a smaller robot by itself. What you see in the pictures is what you get.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, the Takara release. I think the December date was more because Takara usually releases 1 major TF product a year in that spot. Last year, it was MP UM. This year was Devy. It was more for the fact he's their tentpole rather than them needing the extra time. He looked pretty much done when he was unveiled early this year.

As for Star Saber, he actually stands quite well. That's not really the issue. The QC is terrible. Parts don't fit well and almost every figure I've seen has one of the ratcheting arms actually doesn't work. If you try to put the shield in his left hand, it will just fall down as the ratchet doesn't work. I've yet to see one without this issue.

You then have the problem that everything feels flimsy. I feel like I'm going to break him all the time. This is most notable in how the Saber part fits into the chest cavity. The release mechanisms are small and thin as hell and you really have to force it in. I'm 100% certain that if I played with this guy as much as I do other MPs, those would wear down and the chest would no longer latch in. I also feel a similar fear about Saber's legs.

The whole figure just feel rushed. It's a a shame, because he looks really unique and cool. I'll still buy Victory Leo if it comes, I'm a masochist, but I can't recommend buying Star Saber unless you're a massive fan or can get an amazing deal.

Mine can hold the shield, but the left arm elbow joint is still noticeably weaker than the right. Even so, you're 100% right, it's really not a good figure, and not a good pick for the Masterpiece treatment in general since the character design is pretty plain and the vehicle mode is just one of those late-G1 made up "eh, fuck it, it's a space jet thing, whatever" modes that looks more like a robot laying down in a yoga pose than anything else. Put knees and elbows on the G1 figure and you'd have something just as good, if not better. The only MP figure I regret buying. Megatron and Rodimus aren't very good, either, but at least I have enough affection for the characters to warrant their places on the shelf.

Tizoc

If I hadn't said it before let me say it now

The Decepticons could've won 100 times over only, if only Starscream kept to himself and did NOTHING

Look at it this way: in the G1 cartoon him firing at the Ark is what caused the autobots to revive.

And in the comics
if he had kept his dang mouth shut, Megatron would already be dead and out of his brain module's database

Cheerilee

Take them apart or something. They were brought back by chance, what's to say the Bots won't get the same break?

SFDebris recently reviewed the episode where the Aerialbots went back in time, met Orion Pax, and saw the emergence of the Decepticons.

A few million years in the past, Megatron blew the head off of one of the Omega Supreme-style Guardian robots. A few million years later, Megatron was in the exact same spot and thought "I could use some extra muscle over here..." so he repaired it's head and turned it into his puppet-of-the-day.

Life and death are a strange thing with Transformers. It took a few million years for the Decepticons to accidentally wake up after the crash, and the same thing could happen to just about any Transformer. I suspect that if Megatron went around making sure that Autobots could never come back from the dead, he wouldn't have any energy left to fight the war. And if he won the war, it's not like he would object to having Autobot slaves hanging around. No threat = good enough.

The bigger question is, why did he walk away from the crashed Ark and chose a pile of rocks as the seat of his new empire? And then while building his new rock-fort/starship, he didn't strip the Ark for parts, he stripped a nearby nuclear power station. And then he asked "Now where am I going to find fuel for this thing?" without realizing that he had just torn apart a nuclear power station to build it, or trying to drain some fuel from the crashed Ark.

But then, that's probably why Cybertron is a mess. Megatron (like Cobra Commander) is kind of "flighty" with his grand ambitions. His schemes often come down to "What did I read in the morning newspaper today?"

NEO0MJ

But then, that's probably why Cybertron is a mess. Megatron (like Cobra Commander) is kind of "flighty" with his grand ambitions. His schemes often come down to "What did I read in the morning newspaper today?"

So pretty much standard saturday morning cartoon madness :p

It's crazy how far cartoons have gone these days.

Oh god, Galvatron's face

23259774431_d59b6e963f_b.jpg

:]

Tizoc

OK so MTMTE 47 was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle slow but
Holy shit what
WHAT
WHAT
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Atomizer WTF

EDIT: This GIF better encapsulates my thoughts on the issue
0MsOKMV.gif

Also damnit Roberts, this is what I get for reading comics before going to bed while being half asleep =_=
https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/670332638985658368
^Spoiler warning of course, but damn this is one book where re-reading makes you discover stuff you didn't first time through.

Top Bottom