• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Got in my Makestoys Gundog. Very nice figure, heavy, lots of metal parts. The paint isn't the greatest but it's also simple and works. The build quality is great and transforms well. My only major problem with it is the scale is pretty off. Supposed to be MP sized but it's wayyyy to big

OK so MTMTE 47 was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle slow but
Holy shit what
WHAT
WHAT
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Atomizer WTF

EDIT: This GIF better encapsulates my thoughts on the issue

Also damnit Roberts, this is what I get for reading comics before going to bed while being half asleep =_=
https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/670332638985658368
^Spoiler warning of course, but damn this is one book where re-reading makes you discover stuff you didn't first time through.

What the fuck, man; I keep telling this, but are you me? I read it a couple days back, in bed at like 1 AM, and let's just say
it wasn't the best of choices; it didn't exactly leave a warm and fuzzy feeling to lull myself to sleep :( . If he kills off Cyclonus for real, I'm going to be quite pissed.

Anyhow, lesson learned; don't read a literally thought-provoking comic right before sleep.

MP tracks feels so flimsy, pretty disappointing feeling all around, light and fragile. And seriously they put in zero support for the neck? His head keeps tilting backwards. Looks pretty nice, but the quality just doesn't feel like it's there.

Faiz

MP tracks feels so flimsy, pretty disappointing feeling all around, light and fragile. And seriously they put in zero support for the neck? His head keeps tilting backwards. Looks pretty nice, but the quality just doesn't feel like it's there.

This is very disappointing to hear :(

I thought that too at first but you can snap the tab his neck rests on in place so it won't tilt backwards. It feels a little scary to pop it back but I've had no problems so far.
I don't think he's as flimsy as some people make him out to be and well-worth the Masterpiece label. He's just a little skinny from the side. His vehicle mode might be the best of all MPs.

I thought that too at first but you can snap the tab his neck rests on in place so it won't tilt backwards. It feels a little scary to pop it back but I've had no problems so far.
I don't think he's as flimsy as some people make him out to be and well-worth the Masterpiece label. He's just a little skinny from the side. His vehicle mode might be the best of all MPs.

Not seeing where the neck is supposed to snap into anywhere, it just flops around with nothing to connect to that we can see. Unless you mean you tilt it forward till it snaps?

Out of all the MP's this is one of the weakest to me. It looks great but the construction and feel just feels so week. The joints are solid enough though.

TreIII

What was the last volume you read? Cuz shit starts getting whack from Vol. 4 onwards.
And the villains more fucked up-er.

I'm starting on the second "Phase 2" IDW volume. Forget everything that book has, but I'm relying on that (and the third one coming in February, I think) to get me up to speed before I may start buying individual books.

Aske

I'm starting on the second "Phase 2" IDW volume. Forget everything that book has, but I'm relying on that (and the third one coming in February, I think) to get me up to speed before I may start buying individual books.

I'm just finishing up Phase 1. Not sure how I'll feel about Phase 2; these last few stories haven't been so compelling. I loved everything up to and including All Hail Megatron; but really disliked the nonsensical justification for why they stayed on Earth afterwards, and hated the Bayformers-inspired art style that took over for a few issues. Thankfully things are improving, but the books are far less awesome as Phase 1 wraps up. Highpoint so far has been the Dead Universe stuff, but the Headmasters story with Sunstreaker and Scorponok were also amazing.

Last Stand of the Wreckers was very interesting. Loved the concept more than the overall story, but Overlord's tale was the highlight. So good.

Tizoc

I'm just finishing up Phase 1. Not sure how I'll feel about Phase 2; these last few stories haven't been so compelling. I loved everything up to and including All Hail Megatron; but really disliked the nonsensical justification for why they stayed on Earth afterwards, and hated the Bayformers-inspired art style that took over for a few issues. Thankfully things are improving, but the books are far less awesome as Phase 1 wraps up. Highpoint so far has been the Dead Universe stuff, but the Headmasters story with Sunstreaker and Scorponok were also amazing.

Last Stand of the Wreckers was very interesting. Loved the concept more than the overall story, but Overlord's tale was the highlight. So good.

Good news you are now 1 step closer to the current comic book series.
Trust me when i say i will start picking up from there and become much better.

And just to give you a hint as to how close you'd be:
There will be a 2 part story where Megs and Prime just sit down and talk.
Literally
They sit down, with Megs chillaxing on a chair, arms behind his head and they just talk casually
When you finish those 2 issues you'll just have 1 or 2 more story arcs then bam MTMTE and the hidden potential Transformers can present itself with.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Interesting. See, for me it goes off the rails about halfway through All Hail Megatron, and never recovers until the new creative team takes over near the end of the run right before MTMTE and RiD launch. AHM is incredibly sloppily written. It's amazing to me it got published professionally. Hugely agreed on the terrible art style Figueroa switched to for a few issues before the backlash against it caused him to quit in a huff.

Not seeing where the neck is supposed to snap into anywhere, it just flops around with nothing to connect to that we can see. Unless you mean you tilt it forward till it snaps?
Yeah, tilt it forward until it snaps. It takes more force than you'd expect but I've done it both ways a couple of times now. Should probably get easier over time. It helps the figure a lot. I was rather disappointed with him too before I figured it out.

TreIII

Since I had been pretty wishy-washy during the early part of Phase 1 (and never really bothered catching back up), most of my pals just suggested starting off with Phase 2.

And I think it paid off. The Lost Light's crew makes for great chemistry, and all the stuff going on with a post-war Cybertron is very interesting, so far.

Admittedly, IDW TMNT had been taking up the majority of my time, but I'm glad to have the Transformers back in my line up again.

Tizoc

I need to catch up to IDW TMNT =_= I think I'll get all ultimate editions of the comic for my birthday come March
with my own money :V

yami4ct

I never felt that way personally. He's thinner than normal, but that's just the way Tracks' design is. Material wise, I've never felt like I was going to break him. After I got used to his eccentricities, I completely fell in love.

Head issue is dumb, but you can pull it up until the plate it's on clicks into the chest. It's not an official way to be sure, but it gives you the support you need and it doesn't seem like it'll do any damage.

Speaking of figures I love, I just picked up CW Ultra Magnus because I've started reading MTMTE again and boy is he cool. I'm absolutely shocked how many similar ideas they were able to incorporate from the MP at the cheaper scale. He looks cool as hell. My only complaints are that I needed to trim some panels on the inside of his boots to get his legs to lock properly and he has no way to lock his weapons in.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Takara-Tomy's Galvatronus is very different from Hasbro's. No Cyclonus purple, instead all G1 Galvatron toy grey, and he has his own set of repainted limbs, including Starscream and what people are guessing is Armada Thrust.

Galvatronus-First-Look.jpg

TreIII

Hell yeaaaaaaaaaah~!

I need to catch up to IDW TMNT =_= I think I'll get all ultimate editions of the comic for my birthday come March
with my own money :V

Yes, you do. Even after issue 50, where lots of big things go down, it's only getting all the more interesting from there.

And the Mutanimals Team that Hob has put together are so awesome, too. I can only hope they eventually get their own on-going, some day.

NEO0MJ

Interesting. See, for me it goes off the rails about halfway through All Hail Megatron, and never recovers until the new creative team takes over near the end of the run right before MTMTE and RiD launch. AHM is incredibly sloppily written. It's amazing to me it got published professionally. Hugely agreed on the terrible art style Figueroa switched to for a few issues before the backlash against it caused him to quit in a huff.

AHM was so bad. It really is a wonder how they thought it would go well at all.

Aw yiss indeed.

Aske

It seems like another crack at storyboarding a mainstream TF live action movie, same as the first few issues of the book with Hunter and Verity. It was a far cry from the best stuff, but for a story that takes place on Earth and includes humans, I thought it was solid. As a blueprint for an alternative TF mainstream summer blockbuster, it's great.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It seems like another crack at storyboarding a mainstream TF live action movie, same as the first few issues of the book with Hunter and Verity. It was a far cry from the best stuff, but for a story that takes place on Earth and includes humans, I thought it was solid. As a blueprint for an alternative TF mainstream summer blockbuster, it's great.

It completely ignores/retcons a whole bunch of stuff that was previously established in the IDW Furman stories, though, which is one of the primary reasons it's held in such low regard. Many, many characters' alt-modes were changed with no explanation, some to make them more like their G1 selves, some to match them up to their then-available-at-a-store-near-you Generations toys. The Matrix of Leadership was added as a major important thing despite never appearing in IDW before, even in the flashback story covering the war's origins (James Roberts would find a way to explain this years later). Tons of tech that Furman introduced in his run was completely ignored and discarded, including Pretender tech, which was important enough that the "Coda" followup to AHM actually mentioned it to try and fix that error. It makes a big deal out of the creation of the Insecticons, despite two of them appearing in previous stories. Soundwave was changed to a clone of the G1 cartoon version, despite having an established personality and character in the IDW continuity already.

It was just a mess if you were reading it as a continuation of all the stuff that came before it. They actually did the Coda thing as a patch to fix some of the errors in the series, but introduced more errors by mixing up which characters were in the Dead Universe and which ones weren't. The whole thing is so disconnected from the main IDW storyline at times that some people believe it was originally meant as an "Evolutions" alternate universe storyline that was folded into the mainline continuity as a sort of soft reboot.

It seriously took years for them to clean up the mess AHM made. It wasn't until James Roberts came in and helped basically tie up all the loose ends and start over fresh with MTMTE and RID that the comics started to feel like coherent stories with a plan and a vision again. Shortly, of course, they proved to be the best TF stories ever told, but AHM and the ongoing series were some real rocky terrain there.

yami4ct

I remember being at the panel where they first announced it. They made it seem like a cool alternate universe tale. Then it got announced as part of the main line. I wonder what happened there? If it was original story boarded as a new thing and then forced into the main timeline, all of a sudden it was brought into the main continuity, that would explain most of why it ended up being so awful.

Aske

That's so funny - I just figured "comics!"

The tone was so utterly different to anything that had come before it, I treated it like a soft reboot. A continuation, but one that simply didn't choose to pick up the Pretender tech; and didn't worry too much about (what I felt were) minor details in previous stories that could be set aside without screwing up the canon. I didn't notice the lack of Matrix in previous stories, and just took its existence for granted. Made sense that it finally popped up. And I never sweat the alt-modes. They always feel like things that can be modified off panel, so I don't need consistency there. Not disagreeing with the criticisms at all - just giving my perspective as someone currently reading the books.

My biggest WTF-how-can-you-come-back-from-this? moment has been with Kup's surreal Spotlight issue. Having him murder dozens of Autobots was insane. Fun explanation for the cigar later on though.

I also feel Optimus Prime has been handled poorly throughout the entirity of Phase 1, ever since the beginning. He comes off as weak and directionless, with little consistency, barring his appearences in flashback issues from the Spotlight series. There are certainly things I'd criticise about the comics so far, but All Hail Megatron isn't one of them.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I will always be curious about what Furman was building to with his characterization of Prime. I assume he was going somewhere with it, but you got me as to what it was.

JLynn

I finally got MP-10! After playing with him I noticed a few things.

1: Takara is clearly making this for as long as demand allows. My MP-10 is made in Vietnam instead of China (I suspect it's because Vietnam factories are cheaper and there a lower chance of bootlegging). There was also a poster promoting their renditions of the Robots in Disguise and the Combiner Wars lines.

2: The figure is bigger than I expected. Not as big as MP-1 but it's no shrimp size.

3: Where's the die-cast?! Seriously, there's less die-cast than MP-1. I love me some some die-cast so I was disappointed.

4: Holy cow is it tricky to transform him! Half as nerve wracking as Revenge of the Fallen leader Prime and unlike MP-9 Masterpiece Rodimus Prime I don't have to pray to my God before, during, and after transforming. That is a plus.

5: Souless looking eyes. Definitely getting the light blue eyes mod on eBay. Trailer looks bare inside. Gonna get reprolabels.

I have no regrets buying him but I feel he is not worth the full price of $190, $200. $150 is the maximum.

This is why I'm going with the Hasbro version if I ever pick this up. I like its colors more in general, especially the eyes.
Hasbro MP-10 looks out of place compared to the other Masterpieces because of the brighter colors though so keep that in mind if you're considering getting more.
If you compare the Hasbro and Takara versions side by side Takara looks more authentic too.

Hasbro MP-10 looks out of place compared to the other Masterpieces because of the brighter colors though so keep that in mind if you're considering getting more.
If you compare the Hasbro and Takara versions side by side Takara looks more authentic too.
Not sure I agree with this. I also don't get what you mean by looking more "authentic".

The Hasbro seems harder to come by now, and the eyes are so easy to paint if you wanna go that route with the Takara version.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Not sure I agree with this. I also don't get what you mean by looking more "authentic".

The Hasbro seems harder to come by now, and the eyes are so easy to paint if you wanna go that route with the Takara version.

The colors on the Takara version are much more in line with the traditional coloring of G1 Prime, especially in the toys. The Hasbro version's colors are fairly garish and do look out of place next to the other MPs. It's just a different aesthetic from the rest of the line, which is somewhat understandable given that MP-10 was the first in the soft reboot of the MPs. I have both and the Takara one is the display model, hands down.

I've been thinking about MTMTE lately. Like, a lot. It's always a good thing when a work of fiction makes you think, and MTMTE is nothing if not food for thought.

The way the Autobot-Decepticon is portrayed in various shades of gray instead of the usual black and white is, of course, a major source for interesting moral questions and real-world comparisons. While I'm very illiterate when it comes to history, to me it feels a lot like what I learned of the Russian revolution, with Megatron, fascinatingly, standing in for Marx, Trotsky, Lenin and Stalin at different stages. Megatron's post-war arc is also fascinating and it raises several interesting questions: can a dictator and mass murderer
rehabilitate himself
? What does it mean for
the families and loved ones of those he killed
?
Can they forgive him
?
Should they
?

On the perhaps less intellectual, more geeky side of things, how Roberts has managed to unify all conflicting sources on Cybertronian reproduction is also very interesting. At this point we pretty much what "constructed cold" means; it's not much more than building a complete functional robot and then putting a spark on it to give it a "soul". However, it's not been entirely detailed what's the lifecycle of "forged" Cybetronians. It's implied that at least part if not all of their bodies form naturally, but it's also shown that their sparks have to be harvested fro Cybertron soil and treated somehow. The fact that protoforms also exist in Roberts' canon (as per the ones found inside the ship the Scavengers find
Grimlock
in) would seem to imply that at least the final stages of maturation occur naturally, but do sparks really create a brain module, transformation cog, fuel pump, optics, etc. from scratch? From raw materials? Are they a bit like eggs?

I really hope Roberts gets to exploring and answering all of these questions, and, knowing him, he probabvly will. :)

Tizoc

james Roberts' writing style doesn't get much recognition. The man just manages to make me enjoy reading. He could have an entire issue be a bottle episode with dialog in every panel of maybe 2 characters, just 2 characters talking amongst themselves and it'd be the most entertaining thing ever.

Savitar

Vicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccctory!

As for Roberts I still like what he does but I'm getting pretty burnt out on all the silliness and wackiness. There are some great moments he does and other moments that I can't help but feel annoyed with and wish would get done with.

Also I'm starting to wonder if he can write a real good fight scene or not.

Tizoc

Eh I'd settle for more wackiness and silliness.
It's like taking the 80s cartoon and making it more sensible. Something like that :p

Also currently rereading the
Chase Brainstorm through time story arc
and you know what?
The Functionists must've survived since the Decepticon movement. They're the main antagonists here, it's like Roberts set them up ever since the 2 part story from years ago.
We know a faction within the Senate itself plotted Nominus' assassination because they wanted the Matrix, they wanted to do further experiments than what Tyrest did.
Other than that, man these issues scare the living shit out of me...

EDIT: Case in point
HUKyPhd.jpg

This is the best Rodimus ever. They already have a blueprint for how to do Hot Rod if they ever decide to give him the fucking light of day in an animated adaptation,use it already!

Vicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccctory!

As for Roberts I still like what he does but I'm getting pretty burnt out on all the silliness and wackiness. There are some great moments he does and other moments that I can't help but feel annoyed with and wish would get done with.

It's the exact opposite with me. His humour is so witty and on-point that I can't get enough of it. Not to mention it makes the soul-crushingly dark moments stand in even starker contrast.

Savitar said:
Also I'm starting to wonder if he can write a real good fight scene or not.

I frankly couldn't care less about fight scenes in a comic, that's what movies and videogames are for. That said, the way he wrote Orion Pax to be the ultimate badass without feeling exceedingly over the top is great, from the moment in Chaos Theory where, unarmed, he breaks off his own smokestack and stabs a Decepticon with it, to his later appearances in flashbacks jumping down from nowhere in full Batman fashion; the fact that he's featured very rarely makes it work so well.

Eh I'd settle for more wackiness and silliness.
It's like taking the 80s cartoon and making it more sensible. Something like that :p

Also currently rereading the
Chase Brainstorm through time story arc
and you know what?
The Functionists must've survived since the Decepticon movement. They're the main antagonists here, it's like Roberts set them up ever since the 2 part story from years ago.
We know a faction within the Senate itself plotted Nominus' assassination because they wanted the Matrix, they wanted to do further experiments than what Tyrest did.
Other than that, man these issues scare the living shit out of me...

My interpretation is that
the functionists were wiped out early on in this universe by the Decepticons, but Brainstorm time-travel shenanigans branched out a second universe, one where any of the key moments needed for Megatron's rise to power didn't happen, and therefore the future described by Rewind (no war but 1984-like opression) became reality. Both universes seem to coexist without interacting at this point, but considering all the work Roberts put into describing them, I'd be surprised if the functionist council didn't find a way to move into this universe at some point

And yeah, anything and everything related to the functionist universe manages to be the most oppressive and depressing thing in a comic that already gave us
Shockwave
's backstory and such charming characters as Overlord and the whole DJD... :S

Firemind

His first line in the movie tho.

"This is the end of the road, Galvatron."

Then the show made him into a mopey, joyless character.

Drayco21

I hate Hot Rod / Rodimus.

I hope the character dies an awful, agonizing death.

IDW Rodimus is such a fun character, though. So was Animated Rodimus. I feel like the character takes a lot of undue shit from people.

Also, he desperately needs a new figure in Titans Return based on his IDW design.

Edit: Takara revealed who the Unite Warriors Galvatronus limbs are: a bunch of dead Decepticons from various other continuities.

Ghost (G1) Starscream, Zombie (Prime) Breakdown, Armada Thrust and IDW Roller

Tizoc

IDW Rodimus is such a fun character, though. So was Animated Rodimus. I feel like the character takes a lot of undue shit from people.

Also, he desperately needs a new figure in Titans Return based on his IDW design.

Edit: Takara revealed who the Unite Warriors Galvatronus limbs are: a bunch of dead Decepticons from various other continuities.

To add Rodimus saved Optimus Prime and gave the best reason why Optimus is such a beloved badass and seen as a father figure.

Roller is not a Decepticon though... unless you go with the popular theory that
he's Tarn
If he looked more like Roller and was released in the west I'd pick him up in a heartbeat.

On Rodimus, his character in IDW comics works so well precisely because almost everyone hates him. :)

Cheerilee

People don't like that TF:TM was Hot Rod's movie instead of Optimus Prime's movie, even though Hot Rod's movie gave Optimus an exit so powerful that people wept and it elevated him to the status of a cultural icon.

And then the 3rd season of G1 wrecked Rodimus Prime's character. Hot Rod in the movie was a better leader than Rodimus was in the TV series.

Top Bottom