• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Mike M

Nick N
G1 Soundwave is such a phenomenal figure for its time, and even today is perhaps only a few points of articulation away from modern designs and engineering. The batteries becoming his weapons and stowing away in the battery compartment, the whole tape gimmick; I honestly can't think of another figure who's gimmick has been so sublimely executed. Pretty much all the tape figures are great to my recollection, too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah but to get the original chest version he'd have to spring for the SDCC 2009 exclusive reissue or one of the Japanese reissues, both of which are much pricier options.

That Soundwave reissue includes Ravage and Laserbeak. It's a good choice, especially for $50.

Holy shit, you're right! That's a goddamn steal; if I didn't live in Europe I'd get a spare for myself or for gifting (mine is the original single deck from the TF Collection book-style reissues).

Feeling quite envious of Tizoc's brother right now, he's going to freak out. Please record his reaction on camera. :D

Aske

Holy shit, you're right! That's a goddamn steal; if I didn't live in Europe I'd get a spare for myself or for gifting (mine is the original single deck from the TF Collection book-style reissues).

Feeling quite envious of Tizoc's brother right now, he's going to freak out. Please record his reaction on camera. :D

Seconded. That G1 reissue is the perfect choice.

Seconded. That G1 reissue is the perfect choice.

Coincidentally, I just received Masterpiece Rumble and Ravage. Ravage is very cool but the original is so good it doesn't feel that much of an improvement. Rumble is a completely different matter though, such an improvement over the relatively weak original. It does help that it includes the tremor hammers, of course!

As far as I can tell, they are the exact same size in cassette mode, so they should fit a G1 Soundwave just fine, right? Mine is in storage with all of my pre-move TFs, so I can't check...

Hero

Coincidentally, I just received Masterpiece Rumble and Ravage. Ravage is very cool but the original is so good it doesn't feel that much of an improvement. Rumble is a completely different matter though, such an improvement over the relatively weak original. It does help that it includes the tremor hammers, of course!

As far as I can tell, they are the exact same size in cassette mode, so they should fit a G1 Soundwave just fine, right? Mine is in storage with all of my pre-move TFs, so I can't check...

G1 and MP Soundwave cassettes should fit each other just fine.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Best 3rd party Galvatron? Opinions? MP Scale?

Apollyon, no question. Maketoys has one in the pipeline that's looking promising, though, so you might want to hold off and see how that one turns out.

Edit: Whoops, you said Galvatron. What GuyKazama said, but I'd wait for FansToys. They're the best third party Masterpiece makers right now.

MasterPiece MP-11NR Ramjet
Japan Takara Tomy Mall (Release Date 19th Mar 2016)

Asia (Release Date 31st Mar 2016)

HL8JP9zh.jpg

8OPLbqPh.png

G1 Soundwave is such a phenomenal figure for its time, and even today is perhaps only a few points of articulation away from modern designs and engineering. The batteries becoming his weapons and stowing away in the battery compartment, the whole tape gimmick; I honestly can't think of another figure who's gimmick has been so sublimely executed. Pretty much all the tape figures are great to my recollection, too.

So true, one of my favourites. My son has my childhood transformers and here is a couple of Soundwave quick pics from today. I'd estimate this Soundwave at 30+ years old. Still working just fine if a little loose feeling though. Laserbeak has lost a wing and Ravage a leg, the wars have taken their toll.

5fbr310.jpg

GK7Vsfq.jpg

So anyone here know what the next Masterpiece reveal is or are rumored to be? Ive heard Black Tracks,Hound and Megatron thrown around. Id be down for any of these.

yami4ct

So anyone here know what the next Masterpiece reveal is or are rumored to be? Ive heard Black Tracks,Hound and Megatron thrown around. Id be down for any of these.

Hound and BW Megs were the last credible rumors I heard. BW Megs would likely be the late this year/early next year release if it happened, so I have zero clue what Takara is up to right now.

We did see a prototype Tracks mold with the toy head. It's tricky to know if that is meant to be another Takara retool for a future repaint or for a possible Hasbro release.

Aske

DX9 Tyrant is MP scale and has a great transformation. There's no other 3rd party MP option until the Fantoys one in 2017-2018.

Yep, plus the one X-Transbots has on the way, probably releasing around the same time as the Fanstoys one.

I own Tyrant, and I'd suggest waiting for Fanstoys. Tyrant's a great toy for what it is, but it failed to completely scratch my Galvatron itch. I need a blue Galvatron.

Here's my Tyrant. He plays a mean air guitar.

Just jumped in this thread and saw some people were looking at the Combiner Wars Devastator. I do have an extra Hasbro one that's just sitting in storage. The box might not be in mint condition (I don't remember), but it's unopened. I have no idea if they're in stock in places anymore or how marked up prices are now, but I wouldn't mind selling it to a fan. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Savitar

Yep, plus the one X-Transbots has on the way, probably releasing around the same time as the Fanstoys one.

I own Tyrant, and I'd suggest waiting for Fanstoys. Tyrant's a great toy for what it is, but it failed to completely scratch my Galvatron itch. I need a blue Galvatron.

Here's my Tyrant. He plays a mean air guitar.

Really nice.

Crazy ass ol Galvatron was always one of my favorite characters, ironically he killed one of my other favorites Starscream. But Galvatron simply had that madness that made you want to see what he would do next. Looking forward to the Hasbro one.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Takara MP Galvatron announced this year, either. It's the 30th anniversary of the movie and Galvatron has always been popular in Japan.

yami4ct

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Takara MP Galvatron announced this year, either. It's the 30th anniversary of the movie and Galvatron has always been popular in Japan.

Either Galvatron will be December this year with BW Megs being in the Shockwave slot next year or the reverse. I'm almost sure both are coming.

GuyKazama

Maybe, Takara shies away from Decepticons. Galvatron is probably behind a retooled Megatron.

For the 30th anniversary, I would settle for a new release of the damn blu-ray.

yami4ct

Maybe, Takara shies away from Decepticons. Galvatron is probably behind a retooled Megatron.

For the 30th anniversary, I would settle for a new release of the damn blu-ray.

Galvy is up there with Soundwave, Starscream and Megs as one of the few Destrons that really sell. He's going to come. He's also a far simpler design to get right than a Megs 2.0 and has a ready made opportunity coming up with the 30th anniversary.

Faiz

Got to play around with MP Ironhide at my local comic shop and damn I want that guy so bad now. Went from liking it, to not caring for it, to loving it.

/sigh

1upsuper

I ended up picking up Commotus and I've been having a lot of fun messing around with him. Really dig both forms, especially the Metal Slug tank. Transformation is satisfying - I especially like the way his legs turn into the treads.

I was going to also order a Megatron or the Visualizers but I saw the Year of the Goat Soundwave dropped to $80 on TRU's website so I snatched that up instead. Seemed like a solid price. I think next month I'll pick up the reissue of Wardog. Thanks to everyone's suggestions I have a solid list of stuff to slowly pick up.

If I may ask another question, I knew about triple changers but apparently there are some that have even more than three modes. I just watched a review of Fansproject's MADLAW and was surprised to see something like five alt modes. Obviously with so many transformations there will be aesthetic sacrifices, but it made me curious -- what are some figures with the most different configurations that aren't major partsformers? Are there any with 6+? Any others with 5 or are just stand out figures with lots of transformations? Thanks a bunch again!

Tizoc

My brother is stoic when it comes to nerdy stuff so he would hold back his geekiness once he sees my gift ;p
His best friend however, who is a good friend of mine too, would think it the greatest thign ever especially aince it is soundwave of all things.

My brother is stoic when it comes to nerdy stuff so he would hold back his geekiness once he sees my gift ;p
His best friend however, who is a good friend of mine too, would think it the greatest thign ever especially aince it is soundwave of all things.

Hmmm... record his best friend then? :D

NEO0MJ

If I may ask another question, I knew about triple changers but apparently there are some that have even more than three modes. I just watched a review of Fansproject's MADLAW and was surprised to see something like five alt modes. Obviously with so many transformations there will be aesthetic sacrifices, but it made me curious -- what are some figures with the most different configurations that aren't major partsformers? Are there any with 6+? Any others with 5 or are just stand out figures with lots of transformations? Thanks a bunch again!

The king of crazy was RID Megatron. It had 6 forms, and they managed to squeeze it up to ten later with imagination!

RIDGalvatron.jpg

There's also Six Shot from G1 who had six forms. He got a 3Rd party toy called Hexatron a couple of years ago that looked pretty good.

sixshot-terminus-hexatron.jpg

Another that comes to mind is BW transmetal Optimal Optimus who had 4 forms.

400px-BWtoy-OpOp.jpg

There's a few more but they elude me right now. And don't have decent toys.

Mike M

Nick N
RID Megatron (The one in the picture above is the repaint Galvatron) is a neat figure, but is very un-transformery in his design and aesthetics. Also suffers from many of his modes being silly or unrecognizable, but he turns into the fucking Batmobile, so I won't complain.

The Autobot opposite of Sixshot was Quickswitch. Not bad, but also not as cool looking as Sixshot, so he's not as remembered. I don't think 3rd party companies have bothered with him.

OpOp is a pretty "meh" toy, honestly. It was a big deal to have a toy of that size and number of modes come out in an era when we hadn't seen anything of the sort in many years, but his colors and proportions leave a lot to be desired for me.

Secret best multi-mode Transformer: Beast Machines Scavenger (or his less garish RiD repaint).

128712_Scavenger_Robot_BMScavenger.JPG

He's so... Fiddly. There were a bazillion fan modes for him back in the day, all of them more defined than most of RiD Megatron/Galvatron's modes. Ironically his robot mode leaves much to be desired, but he can turn into a robochocobo, so all is forgiven.

NEO0MJ

RID Megatron (The one in the picture above is the repaint Galvatron) is a neat figure, but is very un-transformery in his design and aesthetics. Also suffers from many of his modes being silly or unrecognizable, but he turns into the fucking Batmobile, so I won't complain.

Oh, I know that's the Galvatron repaint, but it shows all the forms in their ridiculous glory. Like, what is the one on the top right supposed to be? An elephant? Or the second on the right on the on the bottom row. A car on legs? And the one above it, I can't make anything of it at all.

And optimal Optimus was awesome! One of my favorite toys as a kid.

Mike M

Nick N
From left to right starting at the top: Pterosaur, hand, dragon, elephant, robot, bat, griffin, jet, hovercraft, Batmobile.

I have both Sixshot and RiD Megatron (protip: the US version of Megatron (black) already has the improvements made for the Japanese Devil Gigatron (white) so that it can transform in all ten modes), and both are awesome. Most of the Megatron modes are reasonably recognizable for a bot with so many of them, but of course not all of them look good in photos. He looks boss in robot mode and several of its alts, and IMHO is a must-have for any TF fan.

1upsuper

Thanks, everyone. I quite like the look of Hexatron, but I especially dig that RiD Megatron/Galvatron. I think I'm going to have to pick him up. My issue is that I can only seem to find Megatron with packaging that says he has six transformations, though I can find plenty of Galvatrons that advertise 10. Am I just not looking hard enough? Is there any functional difference between the ten form Megatron and Galvatron?

As for that Beast Machines Scavenger, I dig it, and it's super cheap. I'll definitely pick it up. My problem is that I can't seem to find good pictures of fan modes since most websites hosting them are dead. Does anyone happen to have some fan mode pictures? Sorry for asking so many questions!

Edit: Weltall Zero, do you mean that the Megatron only advertises six but in fact supports all ten?

NEO0MJ

Edit: Weltall Zero, do you mean that the Megatron only advertises six but in fact supports all ten?

If it's the american version it will have the retool that allows for ten transformations. It was released earlier in Japan and lacked the adjustments needed for the ten forms. Just check the packaging, it should be easy enough to tell apart. If it's loose it might be more difficult.

1upsuper

If it's the american version it will have the retool that allows for ten transformations. It was released earlier in Japan and lacked the adjustments needed for the ten forms. Just check the packaging, it should be easy enough to tell apart. If it's loose it might be more difficult.

Great, thanks. I wonder why it took until the Galvatron repaint for them to advertise ten in the US.

NEO0MJ

Great, thanks. I wonder why it took until the Galvatron repaint for them to advertise ten in the US.

Maybe for the plot? I don't know, I didn't watch RID, tough it did have a lot of great designs. It would be awesome if they make a Masterpiece Optimus and Magnus that can combine.

Yep, that's the case, as long as you get an American one. I can confirm because I own one and have done all ten transformations myself. As for why, that's a good question: perhaps the retool came in late into the production cycle and package/advertising were already mode, perhaps they wanted to differentiate the white version more (let's be frank, the black one is much sexier), or perhaps for cartoon reasons as mentioned above.

I just checked the TF wiki, and apparently the retool is extremely minor anyway (it's just a pair of tabs to secure the elephant's "trunk"), meaning all ten modes are achievable on even the original Japanese Megatron:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Megatron_(RID) said:
The toy actually received a very slight retool to accommodate this fourth form: a pair of tabs were added to that allow the elephant's "trunk" to clip securely into place, which merely hangs loose if one attempts to configure the original Gigatron into this form. As noted above, this slight retool was used by Hasbro for their Megatron figure, and for all other Hasbro-released incarnations of the mold.

I had also completely forgotten about the lever that makes the hand mode grip stuff. :)

Mike M

Nick N
As for that Beast Machines Scavenger, I dig it, and it's super cheap. I'll definitely pick it up. My problem is that I can't seem to find good pictures of fan modes since most websites hosting them are dead. Does anyone happen to have some fan mode pictures? Sorry for asking so many questions!
Yeah, I couldn't find much either. If my Beast Machines or RiD storage tubs are accessible enough, I may pull one of him out to tinker with and take some pics. His vehicle mode is one of my favorite ever, I'd love to see him get the Generations treatment and get a larger rendition like Tankor/Tank Drone got.

1upsuper

Good stuff. I actually really like Galvatron's color scheme so I'll probably decide based on price. I assume there aren't bootlegs of this guy.

Mike M, I look forward to hopefully seeing some pictures!

muteki

Tons of MotorMasters here making sure I won't get a SkyLynx anytime soon.

Why doesn't Amazon sell these?

Trailbreaker is pretty awesome though.

yami4ct

first hands on pics of MP-29 laser/shockwave including 2 battery compartments

Commence bitching about the shade of purple in 3...2....1. There was no way to please everyone. Shocky has been a billion shades. There's no true accurate version. That being said, I don't mind the current color, but I suspect the lighting is making it a bit lighter than it will be in hand. Photos do that to purple.

So far, looks good.

Commence bitching about the shade of purple in 3...2....1. There was no way to please everyone. Shocky has been a billion shades. There's no true accurate version. That being said, I don't mind the current color, but I suspect the lighting is making it a bit lighter than it will be in hand. Photos do that to purple.

So far, looks good.

yeah, i like it, i wish it had sounds though... also waiting for takara tomy mall or hasbroasia to make a darker toy color for a zillion bucks =)

Drayco21

Looks like single release Groove is totally happening:

Also, Takara's showing off their Beast Wars 20th Anniversary line; it's repaints of the Rhinox, Waspinator and Rattrap. Still holding out hope that Hasbro does something for the anniversary; I really want a deluxe Dinobot and Cheetor with modern engineering.

yami4ct

Looks like single release Groove is totally happening:

Also, Takara's showing off their Beast Wars 20th Anniversary line; it's repaints of the Rhinox, Waspinator and Rattrap. Still holding out hope that Hasbro does something for the anniversary; I really want a deluxe Dinobot and Cheetor with modern engineering.

Single Card release is the thing TRU Taiwan is giving out for free. I suspect he's coming, but no real proof yet.

Wasn't there that weird, voyager sized Dinobot prototype that popped up a while ago. Whatever came of that?

Still completely bet on MP BW Megs capping off this BW 20th line.

Top Bottom