• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Commence bitching about the shade of purple in 3...2....1. There was no way to please everyone. Shocky has been a billion shades. There's no true accurate version. That being said, I don't mind the current color, but I suspect the lighting is making it a bit lighter than it will be in hand. Photos do that to purple.

So far, looks good.

Looks like the purple from the G1 cartoon to me, which fits the MP aesthetic to a T.

yami4ct

Seems like that Voyager Dinobot I mentioned did end up being 3rd Party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zCOuvK3o4

It's weird. I heard zero mention of that thing post the weird mystery when it first got leaked out.

Looks like the purple from the G1 cartoon to me, which fits the MP aesthetic to a T.

Even in the G1 cartoon, he came in a variety of shades. This is pretty close to the one he got most of the time, so I'm happy with it. G1 cartoon accuracy is what they should be striving for.

The fact they even offer poorly drawn G1 Decepticon Logos as an alternate for even more cartoon accuracy is hilarious.

What an odd way of packaging him, why is he doing the splits? :D I wonder what the chances are of seeing it in Europe, though.

I'm betting he will be really hard to find. Not sure if I really need him since Rook isn't visible where my Defensor is standing, but it would be great to complete the team and throw out that imposter.

ramparter

Banned
Looks like single release Groove is totally happening:

Also, Takara's showing off their Beast Wars 20th Anniversary line; it's repaints of the Rhinox, Waspinator and Rattrap. Still holding out hope that Hasbro does something for the anniversary; I really want a deluxe Dinobot and Cheetor with modern engineering.
Great, my protectobots collection will now be complete!

edit: provided he comes in europe

I'm betting he will be really hard to find. Not sure if I really need him since Rook isn't visible where my Defensor is standing, but it would be great to complete the team and throw out that imposter.

To be fair, Rook is pretty cool himself and it probably makes more sense scale-wise. But unique, well done CW molds are always a must buy for me.

Speaking of which, I never bothered to get the western Streetwise, since most reviews I've seen point out (and it seems to be the case from pictures/videos) that it actually worsens Defensor's look. Anyone here in support of the little guy?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Streetwise isn't bad, per se, but the character has always been rather plain and too white for a police car. Reprolabels help.

Tizoc

James Roberts is a bloody genius-
TcuuwSD.jpg

yami4ct

He must come with a lot of accessories to warrant that price.

Edit: well I guess not, nvm.

He has a significant number. A good number of gorilla heads, some alternate robot heads, all his canonical weapons. He also has lighting gimmicks and the premium paint job.

Don't get me wrong, I think 12,000 is a bit much. I'll buy it, but I was hoping for a 9k-10k MSRP.

He's been peppering the comic with call forwards, easter eggs and hints since day one indeed. It's also pretty amazing how he's answered virtually all questions and mysteries floating around and managed to make the payoff for each and every of them hugely satisfying. There's only a few unanswered questions at this point, namely:
1) What's Rung's alt mode's purpose?
2) What's the deal with the guys at the end of #46? (the ones in the Decepticon worldsweeper wearing Knights of Cybertron crests).
3) What are those thingies speaking in symbols that Skids saw when he crossed Tyrest's portal?
4) What happened to the functionist universe and that council of twelve or whatever? It's been quite a while since they were introduced, and in any other comic I would assume their arc was simply aborted, but this is James fucking Roberts son we're talking about.
5) And of course, the whole deal with the Knights themselves (although answering that might mean the end of MTMTE as a whole so I'm in no hurry to get that answered).
I'm sure there'll be a few more I'm forgetting, but compared to the laundry list of unknowns piling up after Skids entered the series, it feels like it all has been mostly revealed by now.

Vyer

He really does an amazing job. The book is far better than I would have ever expected. Particularly the emotional notes it manages to hit.

"Goodbye, little one." and Megs standing in the field of flowers are two examples off the top of my head were I caught some feels.

1upsuper

Got my Year of the Goat Soundwave and I have RiD Megatron arriving tomorrow. What am I doing? I don't need more action figures lines to collect.
Of course I do.

I told myself I was just in it for the cool toys and not any of the fiction, but if I wanted to at least get some familiarity with the franchise outside of the toys, where would I start? I've seen/read none of it outside of maybe some BW episodes whenever those aired.

NEO0MJ

I told myself I was just in it for the cool toys and not any of the fiction, but if I wanted to at least get some familiarity with the franchise outside of the toys, where would I start? I've seen/read none of it outside of maybe some BW episodes whenever those aired.

The general consensus on best animated series are Beast Wars, Transformers Animated, and Transformers Prime. Each one is self-contained so watch whatever interests you most.

The recent comic series More than Meets the Eyes and Robots in Disguise are also well liked.More than Meets the Eye by James Roberts is especially beloved.

Cheerilee

In terms of cartoons, G1 is your basic core. The complete series is $50 on Amazon (Transformers The Movie not included, and strangely hard to buy legally), assuming you can handle 80's toy-based cartoons or have a nostalgia itch to scratch.

Beast Wars ($20 on Amazon) is a good spinoff/sequel to G1, assuming you can handle 90's CGI. Don't bother with Beast Machines (the sequel to Beast Wars) as it's kind of crap.

Transformers Animated ($25 on Amazon) is a somewhat more lighthearted and fun cartoon with lots of G1 fanservice (stuff like having Weird Al guest star as Wreck Gar).

Transformers Prime (three seasons and a movie) is the most mature take on the cartoon, and it's probably the best Transformers series.

There are other series, but these are the big ones. If you want to shorten the list, the most important one (culturally speaking) would be the G1 original. Everything springs from G1.

The Michael Bay movies are crimes against humanity. Sadly, they might be more culturally relevant than the rest of Transformers combined. Please avoid them.

He really does an amazing job. The book is far better than I would have ever expected. Particularly the emotional notes it manages to hit.

"Goodbye, little one." and Megs standing in the field of flowers are two examples off the top of my head were I caught some feels.

There was an issue where Rewind is recording interviews with all the crew members, right after the "Remain in Light" arc IIRC. One of his questions are "are you happy", and it shows him asking it to
Chromedome, who answers "right now, with you, I am", and bounces the question back at him. IIRC we hear Chromie describing Rewind's reaction, which is a nod and a thumbs up
. The whole scene would be
adorable in itself considering what both of them have gone through
, but for extra [HUGE MTMTE SPOILERS]
gut punch this is a few issues after Rewind is killed; it's a flashback, as the Circle of Light are presently watching the footage

What am I missing here?

How far along MTMTE are you? If you're up to date, a hint:
Empyrean Suite
. Notice this was before
the DJD were even introduced
!

Got my Year of the Goat Soundwave and I have RiD Megatron arriving tomorrow. What am I doing? I don't need more action figures lines to collect.
Of course I do.

MTMTE, MTMTE, MTMTE. It has turned many film critics that turned the nose at Transformers into huge fans. Seriously, anything I can tell you about MTMTE would sound like hyperbole even if I were to tone it down. It's simply incredible.

1upsuper

Thanks, everyone, again. You guys are really helpful. It looks like MTMTE is part of some IDW thing, but it's fine to jump right into that? I assume it's not available on any digital comic services. I don't usually read comics so I forgot how expensive they are.

Thanks, everyone, again. You guys are really helpful. It looks like MTMTE is part of some IDW thing, but it's fine to jump right into that? I assume it's not available on any digital comic services. I don't usually read comics so I forgot how expensive they are.

It's not only available on several digital services, but there was a Humble Bundle not long ago that included issues 1 to 37 or something like that. Your best bet would be trying to locate someone who bought spare keys or something like that, I guess. Failing that, each volume with 4-6 issues is 10-12$ at Comixology and they occasionally have 50% off sales (last one was in February). Then if you want to stay current at a reasonable price, each individual issue is 2$ a couple months after release.

As for previous reading, the Death of Optimus Prime issue (included in the first MTMTE volume) should bring you up to speed with the state of things. MTMTE is very much self contained and its own thing, though. I would really, really recommend reading the two Chaos Theory issues from the same author, set during the end tail of the previous series, firstly because they are amazing, and secondly because MTMTE references them often (not "I don't get this" reference, but "oh, so this is related to this" worldbuilding that Roberts is obsessed with). Here they are, 2$ each. Actually, buy them as a sampler to decide if you like Roberts' style that includes less action and more talking and thinking (and flashbacking) that your average TF media.
https://www.comixology.com/Transfor...=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvSXNzdWVz
https://www.comixology.com/Transfor...=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvSXNzdWVz

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Quick suggested reading order for the current IDW stuff. Note that some of the stuff near the end of the list is not out yet.

Recommended Prior Reading:
Chaos Theory (Transformers (2009-2011) #22-23)
Last Stand of the Wreckers

Current Series
More than Meets the Eye Vol 1
Robots in Disguise Vol 1
MtMtE Vol 2
RiD Vol 2
MtMtE Vol 3
RiD Vol 3
MtMtE Vol 4
RiD Vol 4
MtMtE Vol 5
RiD Vol 5
Dark Prelude
Dark Cybertron Volume 1
Dark Cybertron Volume 2
RiD Vol 6
MtMtE Vol 6
Windblade
MtMtE Vol. 7
The Transformers (previously RiD) Vol. 7
Combiner Wars
MtMtE Vol 8
The Transformers Vol 8
Drift: Empire of Stone
Distant Stars
MtMtE Vol 9
The Transformers Vol 9
Sins of the Wreckers
MtMtE Vol 10
The Transformers Vol 10

I'm reading the IDW Collections. It takes forever for them to be released (the latest one, #5, comes up to MTMTE 13 and RID 11), but it's nice to have them in a collected form and in relatively good order. I used to buy loose comics and it drove me crazy.

Even though I haven't been reading MTMTE for that long, it's easy to see why it's so loved. So much awesome character and world building there. RID is good too, but it tends to be more political and slow sci-fi, kind of like the late parts of Battlestar Galactica.

1upsuper

I just finished reading those two issues, #22-3, and I'm impressed. Better than I was expecting, and now I'm looking forward to MTMTE/RiD.

Faiz

I'm reading the IDW Collections. It takes forever for them to be released (the latest one, #5, comes up to MTMTE 13 and RID 11), but it's nice to have them in a collected form and in relatively good order. I used to buy loose comics and it drove me crazy.

Even though I haven't been reading MTMTE for that long, it's easy to see why it's so loved. So much awesome character and world building there. RID is good too, but it tends to be more political and slow sci-fi, kind of like the late parts of Battlestar Galactica.

Crap, didn't realize I was so far behind on the IDW collections.

Tizoc

Ill hook up with a reading order later on when i am back home :3

yami4ct

MP Shocky payment request just came in. He and Roddy are now paid to ship out. So excited to get them. I was unsure about Roddy, but he looks really fun and Shockwave has always looked amazing to me.

MP Shocky payment request just came in. He and Roddy are now paid to ship out. So excited to get them. I was unsure about Roddy, but he looks really fun and Shockwave has always looked amazing to me.

I can't wait. I'll be in Japan so I'm looking to find him there. With a little luck I'll also find a Bumblebee and, if he makes it in time, Ratchet.

Herbs

Banned

Yeah, got my notification but I need to see Shockwave's final color first.

yami4ct

That's definitely expected. Everything Quakewave is designed to be like the comic. A show-based Shockwave is bound to look pretty massively different.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Takara one looks much more like the G1 character to me, which is how it should be. Modern Shockwave tends to have been put through a regular robosteroid regimen.

Enkidu

He's much lighter than Quakewave, that's for sure.

MAhr0Pu.jpg
Aside form the size MP Shockwave looks the best to me (although it remains to be seen what color he will actually be, I doubt any pictures will be able to do him justice). Despite it supposedly being an "improved" version of Quakewave, Quakeblast somehow manages to look the wost of them all.

Top Bottom