• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

All the Coneheads are going to be mall exclusive. Once Ramjet was exclusive, there was no doubt. If you were going to do any of them retail, it's him.

I still hold out a good amount of hope that Hasbro will put them out in the US. They love to release any version of the MP seeker mold they can. We got both Acid Rain and Sunstorm. These are easy to release because they require no additional licensing and are sure to be a big hit with US fans because of their exclusivity in Japan. It's a home run.

Yeah, I kinda figured they were going that way. I don't like the hasbro stuff usually because of the changes they make. Plus they're annoying to even find at retail or online

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Takara makes their money on the exclusives from the fee the retailer pays them to make it exclusive. They don't really need to sell a lot of them to make it worth their while.

Ramjet was easy enough to get if you preordered, and even after it came out you could get them for normal price for a while. I suspect they will come stateside eventually, but god knows what horrible paint decisions Hasbro will make with them. Hasbro MP Sunstorm really pushed me to stick with Takara on the Seeker repaints.

Takara makes their money on the exclusives from the fee the retailer pays them to make it exclusive. They don't really need to sell a lot of them to make it worth their while.

Ramjet was easy enough to get if you preordered, and even after it came out you could get them for normal price for a while. I suspect they will come stateside eventually, but god knows what horrible paint decisions Hasbro will make with them. Hasbro MP Sunstorm really pushed me to stick with Takara on the Seeker repaints.

It's more about the extra price tag associated with their "limited" nature, being far more expensive than a traditional MP release

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's more about the extra price tag associated with their "limited" nature, being far more expensive than a traditional MP release

They don't cost much more than a mass release in Japan, as I recall. It's just us importers who get boned due to the extra cost of procuring them.

yami4ct

I assume Hasbro is going to release them with Toy Colors. It's not perfect, but I'm fine with that in the end. I don't care enough about the Coneheads to pay Japanese retail+markup.

JLynn

All the Coneheads are going to be mall exclusive. Once Ramjet was exclusive, there was no doubt. If you were going to do any of them retail, it's him.

I still hold out a good amount of hope that Hasbro will put them out in the US. They love to release any version of the MP seeker mold they can. We got both Acid Rain and Sunstorm. These are easy to release because they require no additional licensing and are sure to be a big hit with US fans because of their exclusivity in Japan. It's a home run.

Don't hold your breath for Hasbro. They've been too quiet about future Masterpiece releases aside from an unofficial statement about licensing.

I'm playing quite a bit of Transformers Earth Wars lately. It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, and apparently it rips off Clash of Clans liberally, but it's quite fun to build your base. Of course because this is a mobile Hasbro game it also does some stupid stuff (beyond the obvious gacha moneygrab scheme, I mean): they give your bots a 1-2 minute cooldown between battles when there's already an energy system in the game (why!?), and right now I'm beating 95% of the battles with the same simple strategy (use Optimus' skill on the mortar).

I really wish they stopped being so fucking greedy with their games. Battle Tactics was a pretty fun little game with lovely visuals and a decently deep battle system, then they had to make it utterly unplayable without buying shit, making people leave in droves and ending up by canceling it entirely (which I can only imagine how must have felt to people who actually spent money on it, I'm surprised that's even legal). Sure makes one want to spend a lot of money in their next game, huh?

Drayco21

I'm playing quite a bit of Transformers Earth Wars lately. It's not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, and apparently it rips off Clash of Clans liberally, but it's quite fun to build your base. Of course because this is a mobile Hasbro game it also does some stupid stuff (beyond the obvious gacha moneygrab scheme, I mean): they give your bots a 1-2 minute cooldown between battles when there's already an energy system in the game (why!?), and right now I'm beating 95% of the battles with the same simple strategy (use Optimus' skill on the mortar).

I really wish they stopped being so fucking greedy with their games. Battle Tactics was a pretty fun little game with lovely visuals and a decently deep battle system, then they had to make it utterly unplayable without buying shit, making people leave in droves and ending up by canceling it entirely (which I can only imagine how must have felt to people who actually spent money on it, I'm surprised that's even legal). Sure makes one want to spend a lot of money in their next game, huh?

Yeah, I'm enjoying it too, but the last thing I'm ever going to do is spend money on it- this is the fourth Transformers game on my phone in as many years, and all of them before this have been shut down.

yami4ct

Sorry for double post, but this would be a bit hard to edit in on mobile. Holy shit MP Cheetor reveal.

Cheetor.jpg

Making MP Tigertron outta that is gonna take some doing.

That looks amazingly screen accurate. I wish the beast head actually formed the chest instead of the cheat they resorted to, but that's a small gripe when what I'm seeing looks so good.

NEO0MJ

That looks amazingly screen accurate. I wish the beast head actually formed the chest instead of the cheat they resorted to, but that's a small gripe when what I'm seeing looks so good.

That's one thing that has been bothering me with some modern Transformers. They ceat a lot instead of doing it fully accurate.

I can't see the cheat, I assumed the chest indeed formed the beast mode head, and that the heads on the left are swappable for more accuracy / different expressions (which is what the displayed beast mode is using). Am I missing something obvious?

I can't see the cheat, I assumed the chest indeed formed the beast mode head, and that the heads on the left are swappable for more accuracy / different expressions (which is what the displayed beast mode is using). Am I missing something obvious?
The chest in robot mode looks to me like a panel with the beast head sculpted on rather than the beast head itself.

yami4ct

Cheats are fine as long as they allow for more accurate robot and alternate modes. Not cheating with Cheetor basically means either ending up with a tiny cheetah head sticking way out of the chest like the Universe design or a cheetah with a big head and stubby neck like the original. Cheats can sometimes be very necessary, especially with the BW designs.

Toxi

Banned
There's also the face-swapping aspect; if the beast mode head was the robot mode chest, they probably wouldn't have been able to have alternate beast mode faces.

I don't expect miracles and I certainly expect that these season 1 designs will have to cheat a bit (or if they ever do Dinobot, A LOT) to be screen accurate. It was more of an "aw, would have been nice" observation than a real gripe.

Toxi

Banned
EDIT: Another reason for the fake chest head is that in the show, it actually looks rather different from the best mode head.

PKAuvyd.jpg

I don't expect miracles and I certainly expect that these season 1 designs will have to cheat a bit (or if they ever do Dinobot, A LOT) to be screen accurate. It was more of an "aw, would have been nice" observation than a real gripe.
A show-accurate Dinobot would make designing Masterpiece Ironhide look like a cakewalk.

But man do I want one.

yami4ct

Dinobot and Megs are pretty much guaranteed at this point. Rattrap is very likely. Only way they don't happen is if Primal and Cheetor bomb, and going by how Primal preorders seem to be going I don't expect that.

I'm not 100% sure it doesn't indeed cheat, but so far I see no evidence either way.

Yeah, there's not a chance that that's the actual beast mode head.

What we're saying is that the chest is the beast mode head, and then you can swap it out with a mode anime accurate head (and that's what the pics show). This is what many Soul of Chogokin do. In other words, the chest forms a fully functional head, just not the one showing in beast mode in that pic.

^ heads gotta be in the chest cavity,perhaps it rotates with the robot head..

I don't think there's room in the chest for a whole beast head. It seems to me, at most, it hides the lower jaw, which is the point.

There's also the face-swapping aspect; if the beast mode head was the robot mode chest, they probably wouldn't have been able to have alternate beast mode faces.

Why is that? Again, it's been done numerous times in the past. Hell, it's not like you can't pull out most modern TF's heads, arms and legs even though they're not supposed to do that during transformation.

Faiz

Cheats are fine as long as they allow for more accurate robot and alternate modes. Not cheating with Cheetor basically means either ending up with a tiny cheetah head sticking way out of the chest like the Universe design or a cheetah with a big head and stubby neck like the original. Cheats can sometimes be very necessary, especially with the BW designs.

Thing is everyone has a different take on cheats. For some a large part of the appeal of a transformer is how the alt form features are incorporated into the bot mode design and not using the actual alt form feature breaks the illusion and therefore a lot of the appeal. For some it's no big deal as long as the bot mode looks good.

No one is wrong, just different preferences.

Edit: and yeah the Cheetor head is looking like a cheat to me. He looks so great I may completely overlook the cheat this time out tho, hahah

Thing is everyone has a different take on cheats. For some a large part of the appeal of a transformer is how the alt form features are incorporated into the bot mode design and not using the actual alt form feature breaks the illusion and therefore a lot of the appeal. For some it's no big deal as long as the bot mode looks good.

Edit: and yeah the Cheetor head is looking like a cheat to me. He looks so great I may completely overlook the cheat this time out tho, hahah

Which is why most high-end stuff goes with the optional parts thing, which in this case would mean a cheetah with a large head that you can replace with a smaller one. This way you get both a no-cheats transformation, and accurate looks in both modes if you want.

Faiz

Which is why most high-end stuff goes with the optional parts thing, which in this case would mean a cheetah with a large head that you can replace with a smaller one. This way you get both a no-cheats transformation, and accurate looks in both modes if you want.

It could be but I'm not sure that's what is happening here. The displayed multiple heads appear to just be different expressions, which is the most common use for optional parts.

But, then again as has been said already... I'm not really even sure where it would go if it's a cheat where the beast mode head is put somewhere else on the bot body.

Either way, I'm extremely curious to see how it plays out!

It could be but I'm not sure that's what is happening here. The displayed multiple heads appear to just be different expressions, which is the most common use for optional parts.

But, then again as has been said already... I'm not really even sure where it would go if it's a cheat where the beast mode head is put somewhere else on the bot body.

Either way, I'm extremely curious to see how it plays out!

Yeah, I'm not sure either way myself. We'll see.

I'm not 100% sure it doesn't indeed cheat, but so far I see no evidence either way.

I don't think there's room in the chest for a whole beast head. It seems to me, at most, it hides the lower jaw, which is the point.

As i look at it more there def could be room in the chest area or upper back area,theres a huge hump up there and the cheetah head and robot head seem similar in size so it would fit. Thats gotta be a false head on the chest IMO,its much to flat and wide to be otherwise. I think that part of the transformation will be just like MP Primals which there is video of...
Not a big beast wars fan but Im excited to see more of this figure.

I thought I was out of this game and it's been years since a purchase, but god help me I think I'll need to get every single masterpiece Beast Wars character that they make.

yami4ct

In general, yes, but for the MP line, I feel like there's really only one way to deal with the problem. The MP line is about atheistics at all cost. Both modes need to be fully accurate as possible in both modes. If you have to cheat to get there, you have to cheat.

NEO0MJ

In general, yes, but for the MP line, I feel like there's really only one way to deal with the problem. The MP line is about atheistics at all cost. Both modes need to be fully accurate as possible in both modes. If you have to cheat to get there, you have to cheat.

I think it's also annoying to some old fans because they were proud that the TF series avoided partsformers and cheats, unlike those silly Macross.

Faiz

Dude, my whole post was about it comes down to personal preference. And you respond with "Yes, but..."

But nothing. Whether cheats are ok or not is an opinion. That's it.

JLynn

Apparantly Hasbro's Masterpiece Bumblebee has been spotted at a Canadian TRU. It is licensed by VW and includes the exosuit figure (Officially and expectedly branded as Spike). It's available for CA$119 and according to reports on TFW2005, it'll be priced at $65 in the US.

Which is just about the same price as the TakaraTomy version when it first came out.

Well, they haven't given up on the Masterpiece line but this does not bode well for those still hoping for cheap Masterpiece bots.

Tizoc

Read MTMTE 54 spoilers, I just couldn't wait sorry!
So what do you think of Skids' Spark Spasm? Is such a thing just an uncommon thing or is it unique to outliers? And honestly I did expect it to be temporary anyways.
But oh man
Skids
SKIIIIIIIIIIIDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But bah gawd
DAT FINALE

DAMNIT ROBERS WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DRAG IT OUT LIKE THIS?!?!

Top Bottom