• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Another I've considered is Grimlock... well, I want him, but I'm just going to hold out in case they do a new version or if one of the upcoming third party ones reviews exceptionally well

I would hold out for the FansToys Grinder, which is slated for December this year, but knowing FansToys will be out closer to June. In fact, I highly recommend the entire FansToys MP line if you like any of the characters they've done (primarily the non-Grimlock Dinobots and the Insecticons), because their stuff is easily on par with Takara in terms of quality.

Meanwhile, for a cheaper thrill, MP Wheeljack is a solid pick.

WH3J7Re.jpg

That Tarn is amazing, but I've sworn not to get 3rd parties so as to not become broke, and once you start...

Lovers, significant others, partners, whatever you wanna call it.

Actually they're straight up married. I think it's more obvious to me as a Spanish speaker, as "conyuge" means "spouse" (the Latin equivalent is "coniux"). And no need to spoiler tag it, it's pretty much said as much in their first modern appearance.

They're also adorable as hell in-comic, on of my favorite couples ever. But frankly, you need to read MTMTE, it's been singled out over and over by professional critics as one of the best comics of all time even if you hate Transformers.

Edit: Removed tfwiki Conjunx Endura link because they have a big fat spoiler right at the start of the article, geez.

mrkgoo

After some deliberation, I think I might buy Chromedome.

Looks cool. GO with my Hardhead that I love.

On some searching - I see Brainstorm was also made and he looks cool as well, but some kind of exclusive to SDCC? Is this getting a general release? I've heard walgreens is getting it, but that's US. Can anyone speak about other territories?

Drayco21

After some deliberation, I think I might buy Chromedome.

Looks cool. GO with my Hardhead that I love.

On some searching - I see Brainstorm was also made and he looks cool as well, but some kind of exclusive to SDCC? Is this getting a general release? I've heard walgreens is getting it, but that's US. Can anyone speak about other territories?

Most of Hasbro's previous Walgreen's exclusives never got traditional releases outside of North America- hopefully he ends up being another yellow Daredevil or Black Ant and be really easy to find so he can purchased online for reasonable prices, instead of another Agent Venom or Concept Art Boba Fett and be a pain to find even in the states and get upcharged too much online.

mrkgoo

Most of Hasbro's previous Walgreen's exclusives never got traditional releases outside of North America- hopefully he ends up being another yellow Daredevil or Black Ant and be really easy to find so he can purchased online for reasonable prices, instead of another Agent Venom or Concept Art Boba Fett and be a pain to find even in the states and get upcharged too much online.

Ah, I see. Damn. Brainstorm looks so cool. Thanks for the comment.

I'm nostalgic for G1, so you would think I'd be all over the combiner wars, but he toys don't just straight up look so cool like he titans returns models. Seems like the designers out did them selves in terms of looks for this series.

I'm nostalgic for G1, so you would think I'd be all over the combiner wars, but he toys don't just straight up look so cool like he titans returns models. Seems like the designers out did them selves in terms of looks for this series.

Combiner Wars figures are great - once they combine. Even if the tech is vastly improved nowadays, you still have to make compromises to make everyone have four modes. Titans Return doesn't have that problem.

I'm so happy these series are being made though. Classics figures were basically the same old OP/Megs/SS lineup for years, with only the occasional odd figure thrown in. Now we get entire lines of accurate updates of relatively obscure characters.

I do wonder if they'll eventually go into Micromasters/Pretenders territory, or if they'll reboot with the 84/85 series again. I figure we might get a few Micromasters teams for the heck of it, and maybe a few proper updates for popular characters like Bludgeon, Thunderwing and Nightbeat.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm so happy these series are being made though. Classics figures were basically the same old OP/Megs/SS lineup for years, with only the occasional odd figure thrown in. Now we get entire lines of accurate updates of relatively obscure characters.

Let's not go crazy here. It's cool that they're digging into more of the obscure post-movie characters, but the Classics/Generations line managed to get out every major and almost every minor character from the pre-film seasons, which is no small feat.

I do wonder if they'll eventually go into Micromasters/Pretenders territory, or if they'll reboot with the 84/85 series again. I figure we might get a few Micromasters teams for the heck of it, and maybe a few proper updates for popular characters like Bludgeon, Thunderwing and Nightbeat.

Bludgeon and Nightbeat had their updates already. Hell, I don't think you could improve much on the Bludgeon from the Hunt for the Decepticons line. Thunderwing had the lame Generations Deluxe, but there are rumors of a Voyager or Leader class of him in the pipeline for Titans Return or Planets Transform.

Drayco21

I hope not, at least not as the primary gimmick- I wouldn't mind seeing another stab at Bludgeon since I missed the boat on the last one, but I'd much rather see something other than more G1 designs- especially not an entire year of tertiary gimmick G1 designs that didn't sell very well the first time around. Third year of the Prime Wars trilogy just has to be Beast Wars.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I hope not, at least not as the primary gimmick- I wouldn't mind seeing another stab at Bludgeon since I missed the boat on the last one, but I'd much rather see something other than more G1 designs- especially not an entire year of tertiary gimmick G1 designs that didn't sell very well the first time around. Third year of the Prime Wars trilogy just has to be Beast Wars.

"Planets Transformed" doesn't sound much like Beast Wars to me. And if they were going to do that it really seems like they'd have done it this year for the 20th anniversary. I suspect we'll see the Predacons and Seacons at some point, but a whole line of beastformers is almost certainly not in the cards, especially after the dismal performance of the Beast Hunters line.

I'd rather see them stick to BW MPs at this point, anyway. They haven't had much luck with mass retail versions of the BW characters.

If you really want to get a Brainstorm, I would say that your best options would be either 1) importing the Japanese version, which seems to be a regular release, or 2) my recommended option, if scale and headmaster interoperability is not a concern, get the amazing, much better Voyager Brainstorm, which is still being sold at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMJS4Q2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As mentioned above, the CW molds have to do some concessions to their combination gimmick, unlike TR. For me the worst of it is the constant reuse of transforming schemes to a greater or lesser extent, necessitated by the universal combining scheme (ex. everyone having the connector on their chests, which among others prevents every single car TF from the line from having their car mode hoods as chests). When they are free from those restrictions, though, the CW figures are downright amazing, as evidenced by their awesome Ultra Magnus, incredible Megatron, and must-have Devastator (especially the Takara version).

It would be bizarre if plainum's successor tf action game gets revealed during psx '16

Don't play with my emotions like that, man!

Drayco21

"Planets Transformed" doesn't sound much like Beast Wars to me. And if they were going to do that it really seems like they'd have done it this year for the 20th anniversary. I suspect we'll see the Predacons and Seacons at some point, but a whole line of beastformers is almost certainly not in the cards, especially after the dismal performance of the Beast Hunters line.

I'd rather see them stick to BW MPs at this point, anyway. They haven't had much luck with mass retail versions of the BW characters.

Planets Transform was never real, the guy who made it up as a joke admitted as much not that long ago (see 29 minute mark). The Transmission guys and other leakers who fed us all the Titan's Return news still don't know what the third part of Prime Wars is.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Planets Transform was never real, the guy who made it up as a joke admitted as much not that long ago (see 29 minute mark). The Transmission guys and other leakers who fed us all the Titan's Return news still don't know what the third part of Prime Wars is.

All the same, it ain't gonna be Beast Wars. Maybe there will be a couple of BW characters in there if we're lucky, but there's no way it's the theme of the whole line the way the combining or headmastering have been on the other two.

mrkgoo

If you really want to get a Brainstorm, I would say that your best options would be either 1) importing the Japanese version, which seems to be a regular release, or 2) my recommended option, if scale and headmaster interoperability is not a concern, get the amazing, much better Voyager Brainstorm, which is still being sold at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMJS4Q2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As mentioned above, the CW molds have to do some concessions to their combination gimmick, unlike TR. For me the worst of it is the constant reuse of transforming schemes to a greater or lesser extent, necessitated by the universal combining scheme (ex. everyone having the connector on their chests, which among others prevents every single car TF from the line from having their car mode hoods as chests). When they are free from those restrictions, though, the CW figures are downright amazing, as evidenced by their awesome Ultra Magnus, incredible Megatron, and must-have Devastator (especially the Takara version).

Don't play with my emotions like that, man!

Thanks for your input! I'm going to Japan early next year, maybe brainstorm is still available then... but never seen that generations brainstorm - that looks amazing! I mostly just want more Titans return figures, as they are affordable for me, and just neat little toys. I took look at the line and made decisions how cool I thought they looked and brainstorm was up there.

Bought Chromedome today - does not disappoint!

Man, I bought a pair of these this week and it's been a gamechanger for painting:
magnifying-glasses.jpg

It took all of five seconds to paint TR Rewind's camera lens red, and I'm easily painting in detail into titanmaster figures, some of which literally can't be seen with the naked eye. Videogame-forged hand-eye coordination for the win.

I'm also doing some mods lately. I got a cheap TR Galvatron while on vacation and I'm fixing the shit out of him. Sanding and adding putty on the helm/mask to make it merge much more perfectly with the face, removing inner leg "walls" to make a much better ship mode, painting the all-grey Megatron titanmaster, painting the head's helmet purple so that it merges better with the mask, etc. Frankly I can understand the lack of paint apps for economical reasons, but for the physical mods I can't even understand why it wasn't like that to start with. Anyway, would you guys be interested in pics when I'm done?

Other mods I'm doing are removing a CW White Optimus' combiner torso mode's silly hollow chest doors; drilling a hole in Devastator's hand and cutting the sides of the gun so that it can peg into the hand and is not dropped when the hand opens; and painting poor CW Wheeljack for G1 accuracy and so that it doesn't look like a bedsheet ghost (seriously, what's up with its paint apps?).

Thanks for your input! I'm going to Japan early next year, maybe brainstorm is still available then... but never seen that generations brainstorm - that looks amazing! I mostly just want more Titans return figures, as they are affordable for me, and just neat little toys. I took look at the line and made decisions how cool I thought they looked and brainstorm was up there.

Bought Chromedome today - does not disappoint!

Generations Brainstorm is the kind of transformer that looks really awesome in pics, and you think to yourself "this is going to be one of those that are pretty good in person, but not as good as it looked like". But nope, when you get it, it's every bit as amazing as it looks, or even beter (the blue is really nice and doesn't look that good in pics). Frankly one of the TFs I would consider essential if you care about headmasters at all. It's also pretty big, even for a Voyager. I'm looking at it right now since I have it in a shelf. :)

Frankly the only thing I could "fault" it is that I wish the TR Deluxes, especially Chromedome, were Voyagers, so that I could have a Chromedome and Brainstorm that were the same size. But for that I'd also have to get my wish that TR Voyagers skipped the mask/helmet gimmick and simply have larger headmaster figures. That one-size-fits-all headmaster nonsense is probably the biggest screw up in TR, and the reason I'm skipping all Leaders and most Voyagers.

Additionally, if you're going to Japan and have the space to spare on the flight back, the obvious thing to get would be an Unite Warriors Devastator, although I understand it might be outside your desired price range. Quite possibly the most impressive transformer to come out in years.

mrkgoo

Man, I bought a pair of these this week and it's been a gamechanger for painting:
magnifying-glasses.jpg

It took all of five seconds to paint TR Rewind's camera lens red, and I'm easily painting in detail into titanmaster figures, some of which literally can't be seen with the naked eye. Videogame-forged hand-eye coordination for the win.

I'm also doing some mods lately. I got a cheap TR Galvatron while on vacation and I'm fixing the shit out of him. Sanding and adding putty on the helm/mask to make it merge much more perfectly with the face, removing inner leg "walls" to make a much better ship mode, painting the all-grey Megatron titanmaster, painting the head's helmet purple so that it merges better with the mask, etc. Frankly I can understand the lack of paint apps for economical reasons, but for the physical mods I can't even understand why it wasn't like that to start with. Anyway, would you guys be interested in pics when I'm done?

Other mods I'm doing are removing a CW White Optimus' combiner torso mode's silly hollow chest doors; drilling a hole in Devastator's hand and cutting the sides of the gun so that it can peg into the hand and is not dropped when the hand opens; and painting poor CW Wheeljack for G1 accuracy and so that it doesn't look like a bedsheet ghost (seriously, what's up with its paint apps?).

Generations Brainstorm is the kind of transformer that looks really awesome in pics, and you think to yourself "this is going to be one of those that are pretty good in person, but not as good as it looked like". But nope, when you get it, it's every bit as amazing as it looks, or even beter (the blue is really nice and doesn't look that good in pics). Frankly one of the TFs I would consider essential if you care about headmasters at all. It's also pretty big, even for a Voyager. I'm looking at it right now since I have it in a shelf. :)

Frankly the only thing I could "fault" it is that I wish the TR Deluxes, especially Chromedome, were Voyagers, so that I could have a Chromedome and Brainstorm that were the same size. But for that I'd also have to get my wish that TR Voyagers skipped the mask/helmet gimmick and simply have larger headmaster figures. That one-size-fits-all headmaster nonsense is probably the biggest screw up in TR, and the reason I'm skipping all Leaders and most Voyagers.

Additionally, if you're going to Japan and have the space to spare on the flight back, the obvious thing to get would be an Unite Warriors Devastator, although I understand it might be outside your desired price range. Quite possibly the most impressive transformer to come out in years.

Oh man now you've gone and done it.

I'm just getting back into transformers because the titans return line is so impressive. Had a couple of other transformers within last few years because of some crazy clearance but I wasn't seriously buying transformers since the binaltech/alternators line.

Unite warriors is the takara version of combiner wars?

Yeah devastate is outside my price range. And space range.

I'm just dabbling. One reason I didn't buy any combiner wars is that I'd feelnid need to get an entire run of one combiner....

Aske

I don't know why Amazon Canada is having so much trouble sourcing my Transformers: The Movie steelbook. Amazon.com has stock, but despite pre-ordering, Amazon.ca still doesn't know when I'll get it from them. Was it really super limited, or is this just a weird delay? I have faith they'll get it eventually, but it's really strange. I'd buy a copy from the US, but it's a hefty price difference over the pre-order discount I secured.

Weltall - totally post pics! I'd love to see your work.

Oh man now you've gone and done it.

I'm just getting back into transformers because the titans return line is so impressive. Had a couple of other transformers within last few years because of some crazy clearance but I wasn't seriously buying transformers since the binaltech/alternators line.

Man, Binaltech was so amazing. As a gokin collector it was a dream come true for me, I have most of the original ones, before they started making even the Japanese ones all-plastic.

Unite warriors is the takara version of combiner wars?

Correct!

Yeah devastate is outside my price range. And space range.

Understandable. For that price and money you can certainly get a lot of equally amazing figures. Tell me if you want any recommendations, especially if you have a specific character / character type / price range in mind.

I'm just dabbling. One reason I didn't buy any combiner wars is that I'd feelnid need to get an entire run of one combiner....

Also understandable! That's the entire reason I'm mostly skipping Masterpieces (get one and it's a slippery slope, "if I got this, I should get this one too... and then this one...). That's why I only have the original MP Prime, and ordered Shockwave since it's different enough from the usual autobot car releases that I don't feel obligated to get them afterwards.

If you eventually decide to get a combiner, Defensor is probably my favorite of the line and it should be quite cheap, they made a lot of Protectobots and I routinely see it on sale, at least here in Spain.

Weltall - totally post pics! I'd love to see your work.

OK; let me get organized first because I have a lot on my plate right now; I bought Brainstorm, Wolfwire and Chromedome yesterday and I can see that the latter two are going to need a few touches as well (haven't opened Brainstorm). This means my work area (barely two square meters) is littered with assorted pieces, arms, legs, etc of: Two knockoff Star Sabers (one for me, one for a friend), Generations Goldbug, CW First Aid, CW Wheeljack, CW White Optimus, TR Galvatron, TR Skullcruncher, TR Chromedome and TR Wolfwire. That's besides all the tools, knifes, brushes, putty and like 15 Tamiya paint bottles.

A few thoughts arising from yesterdays's TR haul:
1) It's taken it until 2016 (and the shop clerk's comment) to realize Weirdwolf is a pun on Werewolf. In my defense I'm Spanish and I didn't know that much English back in 1985.
2) Wolfwire has an undocumented feature that allows you to attach his sword to his lower thigh / upper knee. This makes it look as if the sword is in a samurai-style scabbard and allows from some pretty cool poses.
3) It's nearly impossible to put two Transformers in any kind of romantic or endearing pose and aside from articulation issues this is mostly due to the closed fists. Being different sizes as Rewind and Chromedome are probably exacerbates the issue, and I'm now glad Chromie is a Deluxe rather than a Voyager.
4) However 99% of the time you will accidentally end up with a pose that looks like a sex act. :D

mrkgoo

Man, Binaltech was so amazing. As a gokin collector it was a dream come true for me, I have most of the original ones, before they started making even the Japanese ones all-plastic.

Correct!

Understandable. For that price and money you can certainly get a lot of equally amazing figures. Tell me if you want any recommendations, especially if you have a specific character / character type / price range in mind.

Also understandable! That's the entire reason I'm mostly skipping Masterpieces (get one and it's a slippery slope, "if I got this, I should get this one too... and then this one...). That's why I only have the original MP Prime, and ordered Shockwave since it's different enough from the usual autobot car releases that I don't feel obligated to get them afterwards.

If you eventually decide to get a combiner, Defensor is probably my favorite of the line and it should be quite cheap, they made a lot of Protectobots and I routinely see it on sale, at least here in Spain.

OK; let me get organized first because I have a lot on my plate right now; I bought Brainstorm, Wolfwire and Chromedome yesterday and I can see that the latter two are going to need a few touches as well (haven't opened Brainstorm). This means my work area (barely two square meters) is littered with assorted pieces, arms, legs, etc of: Two knockoff Star Sabers (one for me, one for a friend), Generations Goldbug, CW First Aid, CW Wheeljack, CW White Optimus, TR Galvatron, TR Skullcruncher, TR Chromedome and TR Wolfwire. That's besides all the tools, knifes, brushes, putty and like 15 Tamiya paint bottles.

A few thoughts arising from yesterdays's TR haul:
1) It's taken it until 2016 (and the shop clerk's comment) to realize Weirdwolf is a pun on Werewolf. In my defense I'm Spanish and I didn't know that much English back in 1985.
2) Wolfwire has an undocumented feature that allows you to attach his sword to his lower thigh / upper knee. This makes it look as if the sword is in a samurai-style scabbard and allows from some pretty cool poses.
3) It's nearly impossible to put two Transformers in any kind of romantic or endearing pose and aside from articulation issues this is mostly due to the closed fists. Being different sizes as Rewind and Chromedome are probably exacerbates the issue, and I'm now glad Chromie is a Deluxe rather than a Voyager.
4) However 99% of the time you will accidentally end up with a pose that looks like a sex act. :D

Cheers!

Yeah, Defensor would be the combiner I'd get if I did get one. It was my favourite of the G1 combiners.

I'm just dabbling at this stage. Always paid attention to what was coming out, just because, but couldn't really justify buying them often as a full hobby. Titans Return toys are just too good (and relatively affordable) to pass up on a few.

When the Classics line first came out I recognised those as perhaps the BEST transformers toys to ever come out, as it paid homage really well to G1, but also were affordable, highly playable, and looked good. I'm a fan of the alternators/binaltech (and have a few of the die case ones), but they aren't quite as playable and affordable, so don't quite pass as perfect toys for me. More collectibles.

I do have some Masterpieces, which I think are cool. Mostly as gifts from people I know who ARE hardcore. They are very cool, but many of those serve as more display pieces than actual toys. I think the deluxe class toys are the perfect ones for me at the moment. Suit my budget and tastes. They're a good size to sit on a desk and just pick up and transform every now and again.

Look great, great poseability, simple but satisfying transformations. seems like a really good balance for someone getting "back into it".

When the Classics line first came out I recognised those as perhaps the BEST transformers toys to ever come out, as it paid homage really well to G1, but also were affordable, highly playable, and looked good. I'm a fan of the alternators/binaltech (and have a few of the die case ones), but they aren't quite as playable and affordable, so don't quite pass as perfect toys for me. More collectibles.

Completely agreed. Both in that Classics / Universe / Generations are the best thing to ever happen to adult G1 fans, and that I've gravitated over the years away from gokins (including BT and Masterpiece) and more towards smaller, less expensive, less complex pieces that are more fun to handle and transform.

I think the deluxe class toys are the perfect ones for me at the moment. Suit my budget and tastes. They're a good size to sit on a desk and just pick up and transform every now and again.

Look great, great poseability, simple but satisfying transformations. seems like a really good balance for someone getting "back into it".

Agreed again, deluxe is the size where you start to get good enough engineering (legends are too small), but are cheap enough that you can buy quite a few. Best thing is that it's the most numerous size so you can get some unusual characters in that size, and can end up with quite a badass army. :) Right now my shelves are displaying two combiners, three leaders, six voyagers and a whooping 19 (!) deluxes. That said, the truly exceptional voyagers and leaders manage to surpass the best deluxes, and I absolutely adore some of them (particularly Leaders Jetfire and CW Megatron, and Voyagers Brainstorm and 2013 Springer).

mrkgoo

Completely agreed. Both in that Classics / Universe / Generations are the best thing to ever happen to adult G1 fans, and that I've gravitated over the years away from gokins (including BT and Masterpiece) and more towards smaller, less expensive, less complex pieces that are more fun to handle and transform.

Agreed again, deluxe is the size where you start to get good enough engineering (legends are too small), but are cheap enough that you can buy quite a few. Best thing is that it's the most numerous size so you can get some unusual characters in that size, and can end up with quite a badass army. :) Right now my shelves are displaying two combiners, three leaders, six voyagers and a whooping 19 (!) deluxes. That said, the truly exceptional voyagers and leaders manage to surpass the best deluxes, and I absolutely adore some of them (particularly Leaders Jetfire and CW Megatron, and Voyagers Brainstorm and 2013 Springer).
Your collection sounds so cool.

I really like the modern engineering of the toys.

If I really get back into it I can see just buying one here and where and slowly amassing an army.

Your collection sounds so cool.

I really like the modern engineering of the toys.

If I really get back into it I can see just buying one here and where and slowly amassing an army.

That's how everyone starts, which you may take as encouragement or as a warning. :D

Tizoc

So apparently Robot Kingdom ship from Japan :V No wonder I was charged an extra $20 for shipping to US lol.

mrkgoo

That's how everyone starts, which you may take as encouragement or as a warning. :D

A bit of both :)

I've been doing the rounds, checking out what's available in various stores. Transformers really don't have huge displays on thenbigger chains. And the selection is really pot-luck.

Anyone reading Revolution? Don't think it really has much impact on current TF stories which are mostly set beyond the time of this setting, but they are sticking it in the current canon of IDW.

Drayco21

Found a RID Scorponok at the store today- he's a lot more posable and balanced than I would have expected from his design. The line's had a real bumpy start, but these last few Decepticon releases have really made it all worth it- really fun, unique designs with a lot of character.

Got anime red alert in. Not sure why I even bought this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wish they would have at least retooled the doors to be like the animation

Hero

Completely agree that Classics/Universe/Generations Deluxes are the best.

Something about the new deluxes don't sit well with me. They seem a little off standing next to the previous lines. Plus they're expensive as hell now. 16 for a Deluxe?!

Completely agree that Classics/Universe/Generations Deluxes are the best.

Something about the new deluxes don't sit well with me. They seem a little off standing next to the previous lines. Plus they're expensive as hell now. 16 for a Deluxe?!

God how I envy you US guys. Here they are 24€ (27$), in a country where the average wage is way less than half of that of the US. Fucking Hasbro Spain.

mrkgoo

God how I envy you US guys. Here they are 24€ (27$), in a country where the average wage is way less than half of that of the US. Fucking Hasbro Spain.

Lol, yeah. I envy the US too. Their prices are less than what we pay, and our income is less to boot.

The deluxe cost around NZ$35-40 here, which by current US exchange rate is US$25-$30.

So US$16? Hell, I'd buy them all.

(Picked up Wolf wire Titans Return - I'm falling....I was actually at the store to get something else...saw Wolfwire there. Picked him up, considered him. then thought I can't afford it... put him down, walked away, found what I was looking for then when, what the hell, and went back and grabbed him!)

Lol, yeah. I envy the US too. Their prices are less than what we pay, and our income is less to boot.

The deluxe cost around NZ$35-40 here, which by current US exchange rate is US$25-$30.

So US$16? Hell, I'd buy them all.

I hear ya! At US prices I would get almost everything.
New Zealand? Wow, we're literally on opposite points in the world! :D (every kid in Spain grows up being taught "the antipodes of Spain are in New Zealand" repeated to them). :)

(Picked up Wolf wire Titans Return - I'm falling....I was actually at the store to get something else...saw Wolfwire there. Picked him up, considered him. then thought I can't afford it... put him down, walked away, found what I was looking for then when, what the hell, and went back and grabbed him!)

It begins. If it's any consolation, you will eventually learn what every TF collector does: you will regret not buying a figure far more often than you will regret buying them. This is the opposite of videogames, where waiting (especially now) gets them at lower prices: once the stock is cleared, getting an older TF becomes an expensive proposition.

Wolfwire is really cool. I've modded mine a bit this week; I didn't like his bat-like nose and cut it into a much more wolf-like shape. I've also shaved the plastic behind his back paws to improve their range so that they sit flush with the floor even when the back legs are farther in the front or back.

Speaking of modding, Hardhead is objectively the most perfect TR figure. I've had things I've wanted to change in all others (especially wave 2 seems to be ridiculously cheap on paint apps for the titanmaster figures), but for Hardhead I literally found nothing to improve!

Sorry guys, was just speaking from my own perspective. Totally sucks you guys get shafted even worse. :(

Don't worry, it's not your fault, it's Hasbro's (or at least non-US Hasbro's). Didn't mean to sound sour; if it wasn't for US fans (by far the largest market), we wouldn't even have any Transformers to buy. :)

mrkgoo

I hear ya! At US prices I would get almost everything.
New Zealand? Wow, we're literally on opposite points in the world! :D (every kid in Spain grows up being taught "the antipodes of Spain are in New Zealand" repeated to them). :)
We didn't learn that, though I do know it. We soon figure out we're just isolated from everywhere...

It begins. If it's any consolation, you will eventually learn what every TF collector does: you will regret not buying a figure far more often than you will regret buying them. This is the opposite of videogames, where waiting (especially now) gets them at lower prices: once the stock is cleared, getting an older TF becomes an expensive proposition.

Yeah I can see that's being the case. I've become way less of a collector these days due family and money, etc. so just happy sticking with some favourites. I'm really impressed with the Titans Return line enough to get back in. Last time I was this impressed with mainstream non-third party stuff was classics. I got a fair few of the alternators/binaltech but retrospectively they seemed to have overdone the concept. Overwhelmed with repainted and they got poorer designs and shoehorning in characters.

Wolfwire is really cool. I've modded mine a bit this week; I didn't like his bat-like nose and cut it into a much more wolf-like shape. I've also shaved the plastic behind his back paws to improve their range so that they sit flush with the floor even when the back legs are farther in the front or back.

I really like wolfwire. I bought hardhead because he just looked SO perfect. I had g1 hardhead so it was a nostalgic move for me.

Couldnt be happier. My only gripes are minor. Don't know if it's just my copy, but the head of furos sits in the socket loosely such that it rattles a little. It means hard head is a bit of a bobble head. It's not the ball joiunt on furos' head. It's the socket. The other two don't have the issue. But I can rotate furos' head and then it fits in better.

The other is the arms when in alt mode don't full "click" into the main body. I would prefer that so it sits more rigidly.

but rah it's funny. I get him first because he's e one that looks perfect to me. But then admiring the he others they grow on you. Both chrome dome and wolfwire are great as well.

I really like their look as robots. Just their stature, builds and proportions look great.

I've looked at the others in the line and the only one that appeals is brainstorm. Hough I may have to get another decepticon otherwise wolfwire is out numbered...

Skullcruncher seems like it has hip issues and hollow feet. Mind wipe isn't interesting to me. Ah well.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Skullcruncher seems like it has hip issues and hollow feet. Mind wipe isn't interesting to me. Ah well.

Skullcruncher is a roll of the dice. Some of them are fine, some of them have super loose hips. You can fix that with some floor polish on the ball joints, though. What can't be fixed is the fact that his feet are too small to balance him very well, especially if you leave the crocodile head on when you transform him. Still, his croc mode is excellent (even if he's supposed to be an alligator if you want to be super GEEWUN about it), and even has a robo-tongue in its mouth.

We didn't learn that, though I do know it. We soon figure out we're just isolated from everywhere...

Well, that just makes you the most likely to survive in the event of a zombie holocaust. :)

The antipodes thing in NZ is probably not taught because "The antipodes of NZ is parts of Spain, Portugal and Morocco depending on where you are" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Interestingly, Wikipedia's article on "antipodes" specifically mentions NZ and Spain, etc. right at the start, which has made me realize that, unlike what I assumed as a child, most landmasses have just ocean as their antipodes (since any randomly chosen point of the Earth has only a 29% chance of being land). Meaning we are special in a way!

Yeah I can see that's being the case. I've become way less of a collector these days due family and money, etc. so just happy sticking with some favourites. I'm really impressed with the Titans Return line enough to get back in. Last time I was this impressed with mainstream non-third party stuff was classics. I got a fair few of the alternators/binaltech but retrospectively they seemed to have overdone the concept. Overwhelmed with repainted and they got poorer designs and shoehorning in characters.

Yep, same. Just have a few of the first two year Japanese ones, and I think I don't own any repeat molds. It devolved pretty quickly after that. I actually pride myself in skipping the first Ravage and Tracks they released (a humanoid with jaguar head, and a yellow version of Tracks, respectively), especially since they did release "proper" versions after that that I did get.

I really like wolfwire. I bought hardhead because he just looked SO perfect. I had g1 hardhead so it was a nostalgic move for me.

Couldnt be happier. My only gripes are minor. Don't know if it's just my copy, but the head of furos sits in the socket loosely such that it rattles a little. It means hard head is a bit of a bobble head. It's not the ball joiunt on furos' head. It's the socket. The other two don't have the issue. But I can rotate furos' head and then it fits in better.

Strangely, that does happen... to my Wolfwire, and also to my Highbrow. Hardhead, Blurr, Chromedome, Skullcruncher and Galvatron are all free from it. I assumed it happened with specific molds, but it seems it might be down to individual units. It wasn't major on mine (the small titanmaster head would just twist in the socket if I turned the large head, sitting diagonally, instead of the titanmaster neck turning), but I'll check into the mechanism later to see if there are any quick fixes that can be done.

The other is the arms when in alt mode don't full "click" into the main body. I would prefer that so it sits more rigidly.

Funnily, for mine, one of the arms does peg into the main body, but the other one doesn't. You should be able to fix that quite easily applying nail polish to the peg and / or hexagonal hole in the body, I think (I use glue instead, obviously letting it dry separately).

but rah it's funny. I get him first because he's e one that looks perfect to me. But then admiring the he others they grow on you. Both chrome dome and wolfwire are great as well.

I really like their look as robots. Just their stature, builds and proportions look great.

Yep, these are some really great figures. Honestly, I can't wait at all to see what else is in store for the next waves of TR. We've barely started! There's even rumours of some favorites from MTMTE like Nautica, who have never had a toy before! That'd be all sorts of amazing.

I've looked at the others in the line and the only one that appeals is brainstorm. Hough I may have to get another decepticon otherwise wolfwire is out numbered...

I have Skullcruncher and he's rather cool. The hollow feet aren't very visible in robot mode, but I admit I'm used to that kind of design in cheaper TFs. His hips are slightly looser than average, but not by much (I had to adjust Scourge's, though). Ultimately his appeal resides in having a robot turning into a big ass alligator that has jaws that open and close with perfectly lined teeth and such. I don't like the alligator's hind legs at all, they're a single piece with no articulation beyond the hip.

Also don't worry about having matched Autobots vs Decepticons, that's the kind of thing you soon realize lies in the direction of madness, especially when you start juggling different sizes and collections. Besides in the current IDW continuity it hardly even matters anymore, the war ended 5 years ago (both real and comic-time, which are synchronized). Coincidentally, did you know Skullcruncher went on to be a really successful stand up comedian?

Skullcruncher is a roll of the dice. Some of them are fine, some of them have super loose hips. You can fix that with some floor polish on the ball joints, though. What can't be fixed is the fact that his feet are too small to balance him very well, especially if you leave the crocodile head on when you transform him. Still, his croc mode is excellent (even if he's supposed to be an alligator if you want to be super GEEWUN about it), and even has a robo-tongue in its mouth.

The best way to stand him up (and many others like him who have their center of gravity too far back) is what I call the "Trasformers Animated Pose":
300px-OptimusPrimeAnimated.JPG

latest

Self-explanatory, I believe; don't try to imitate it with your own body if you hold your knees in any regard. Skullcruncher himself doesn't need anything nearly as extreme as the above, but Windblade for example literally can't stand up otherwise unless you mod her some longer/wider heels like I have.

Tizoc

Why do i feel like
Sentinel's defeat
in MTMTE 57 is Roberts taking a jab at the this 'mini arc'?
Still the final pages were great not to mention that we will start seeing
Prowldemption
. Never thought I'd see that in my life time.
Also James Roberts is a genius, it's like he planned for it to serve a purpose.

Anyone reading Revolution? Don't think it really has much impact on current TF stories which are mostly set beyond the time of this setting, but they are sticking it in the current canon of IDW.

Eeeeeeeeeh MTMTE and the upcoming Lost Light are about all you need far as TF comics go.

The best way to stand him up (and many others like him who have their center of gravity too far back) is what I call the "Trasformers Animated Pose":
300px-OptimusPrimeAnimated.JPG

latest

Self-explanatory, I believe; don't try to imitate it with your own body if you hold your knees in any regard. Skullcruncher himself doesn't need anything nearly as extreme as the above, but Windblade for example literally can't stand up otherwise unless you mod her some longer/wider heels like I have.

Holy shit that's the Bruce Timm lean.

aparisi2274

Oh man, this X-Transbot Cyclonus figure looks great... I may have to get this one...

http://tfsource.com/xtransbots/eligos/

reduced-image_10622_106.jpg

reduced-galery_image_10622_16739.jpg

reduced-galery_image_10622_16735.jpg

The figure stands 27cm/10in tall in robot mode, and features 3 LED components, the eyes can be glowing when LED switch on. collect 4 boxes you can combine a space battle scene of all XTB figures.

Each Piece Includes:
- 1 x Bio card
- 1 x Instruction Manual
- 2 x Laser gun
- 1 x Truncheon target mini warrior
- 1 x Abadon Cockpit Driver
- 1 x Clear stand

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I've had that Cyclonus preordered for over a year. At least you can't accuse X-Transbots of rushing product to market before it's ready. Their Scourge is quite good.

Transformers used to be just overpriced here in Sweden. We'd get the movie figures and early classics deluxes at around 250 SEK (around $30), which was fairly ridiculous but we got used to it.

However, since Combiner Wars started only TRU and another chain brought in those figures (other chains only get the horrible AoE and kiddie toys), and they started pricing them at the equivalent of $58. That's... not even funny.

For some strange reason they still have many of the wave 1 figures in stock. Gee, I wonder why.

http://www.toysrus.se/serier/transf...xe-asst-d-?id=902390&vid=523799d#.V_DQnO9kiEk

Transformers used to be just overpriced here in Sweden. We'd get the movie figures and early classics deluxes at around 250 SEK (around $30), which was fairly ridiculous but we got used to it.

However, since Combiner Wars started only TRU and another chain brought in those figures (other chains only get the horrible AoE and kiddie toys), and they started pricing them at the equivalent of $58. That's... not even funny.

For some strange reason they still have many of the wave 1 figures in stock. Gee, I wonder why.

http://www.toysrus.se/serier/transf...xe-asst-d-?id=902390&vid=523799d#.V_DQnO9kiEk

What in the flying fuck. The only good thing is that at those prices you no longer have to waste any time thinking whether you import or not!

Tizoc

That G1 Cyclonus is freakin' awesome.
Who are the 2 tiny bots with him though?

So I'm curious if Activision is losing the TF license by year's end. Granted I am basing it off TF Devastation being a Plus freebie (which is up for EU PSN atm), but I don't recall many Activision games being PS Plus games in the past few years, and it seems odd that this one'd be the one they offer.

Top Bottom