• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Tizoc

One's his Targetmaster gun, the other is a mini Galvatron to sit in his cockpit in vehicle mode.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Man 80s G1 cartoon didn't give a fuck what with everyone fitting inside Astrotrain among other things.

Enkidu

The anime version of MP Red Alert is actually surprisingly nice looking. I was a bit unsure if I should get it, since I never really cared much about Red Alert but the grey makes him stand out really nicely compared to the other MPs. The face also looks much nicer in grey than silver for some reason.

What in the flying fuck. The only good thing is that at those prices you no longer have to waste any time thinking whether you import or not!

Well, yes. I can happily import Computron and still save 50% off what he would cost if they eventually got around to releasing the figures here.

It's just disheartening that no kid will ever get a chance to play with these awesome figures, just because TRU is greedy as fuck. If anything, they get these horrible knockoff-looking figures which are still horribly overpriced.

Well, yes. I can happily import Computron and still save 50% off what he would cost if they eventually got around to releasing the figures here.

It's just disheartening that no kid will ever get a chance to play with these awesome figures, just because TRU is greedy as fuck. If anything, they get these horrible knockoff-looking figures which are still horribly overpriced.

While I would say the Prime / RiD line is probably more targeted towards children, I'm guessing those are equally ridiculously prized, right? It is indeed a shame and one can't fathom what Hasbro is thinking other than a very efficient way to kill the franchise in countries that aren't the US or Japan.

NEO0MJ

After missing out on Tarn I think I might preorder Overlord soon. What's the best site for thee things?

Thanks for clearing it up.
Man 80s G1 cartoon didn't give a fuck what with everyone fitting inside Astrotrain among other things.

Forget about everyone fitting, how was Devastator able to form inside? Like, I could see mistakes like that happening in the show but thinking about it now you'd think more care would go into the movie.

Tizoc

After missing out on Tarn I think I might preorder Overlord soon. What's the best site for thee things?

Forget about everyone fitting, how was Devastator able to form inside? Like, I could see mistakes like that happening in the show but thinking about it now you'd think more care would go into the movie.

Wait they revealed the new Overlord figure?

I meant the MMC Not-Overlord. Is there an official Overlord coming?

There have been some leaks regarding Titans Returns and if true, Overlord is one of them (leader class). I really hope the leaks are true, mostly for Nautica. I need one to display alongside my Chromia, Arcee and Windblade.

Drayco21

I meant the MMC Not-Overlord. Is there an official Overlord coming?

1460215993-img-5107-jpg.27604112

When they showed this shilouette at SDCC, they mentioned that they were "lording over" the secret of who the final toy is for right now, and a leader Overlord has been part of the Transmission leaks that have been 100% on the money for Combiner Wars and Titan's Return leaks so far- he's totally happening.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Tarn will likely see a larger run later. Captured Prey said their Tarn allocation was less than 10. Clearly MMC is doing a very limited first run of that figure for some reason.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Probably didn't realize the demand for him

I don't think it's that. Allocations for Tarn have been ridiculously small by any standard, including MMC's previous DJD figures. Nobody's too sure what the deal is. It's sold out everywhere because everyone got far less than they normally do, not because it's more popular than normal.

Any UK Gaffers here subscribed to the Partworks hardback collection?

In brief, the series is to run for about 60 volumes and is intended to capture the entirety of the Marvel UK and US strips (including coloured versions of the old UK B&W strips), Dreamwave and IDW comics (assume IDW is just up to a certain point).

The volumes are released 'out of order', so for instance the first two volumes I received contained Target 2006 and Stormbringer.

The quality of the books is pretty decent too, and they have some small stints of extra material included - worth a look into if there any comic readers here :)

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Humble Bundle is selling an expanded version of their IDW Transformers comics bundle, including the astronomically good MTMTE!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-revolution-comic-book-bundle

DO NOT MISS IT! At the absolute minimum, buy the 1$ tier which is enough to last you quite a while, but the 8$ tier is extremely recommended as it contains virtually all of MTMTE plus all of Windblade! The 15$ is only recommended if you want the very latest, current stuff, as it doesn't have much more than the 8$ tier otherwise (remember that each volume in the 1$-8$ is 4-5 issues, while what you get in the 15$ tier is mostly single issues).

I repeat, do NOT let this chance slide. Both the 1$ and 8$ tiers are insane value!

(would it be out of place to make a thread in the off topic section for this?)

Ahem. Aside from that, and in case there was any doubt an official Overlord was coming, Hasbro just announced Sky Shadow, which indeed separates into a tank and jet. It's looking quite good, if the tank looks a bit... chibi.
r_DSC03558.jpg

r_DSC03556.jpg

r_DSC03560.jpg

They've also announced a lot of new figures, Titans Returns and others. Sixshot is also in, to round up your phase sixers collection. As usual the Deluxes look great while the bigger sizes not so much.
http://www.seibertron.com/events/event.php?event_id=495

muteki

Hopefully we can get a bit of remolding for Overlord in a couple places. Looks good as a Sky Shadow but the base mode continues to look more of an afterthought.

Perceptor probably my favorite of the new bunch though.

Hmmm... no character that I really, really need this time around. But does this confirm the rumours that hinted at Predaking before?

I might get a Sixshot at some point though. He doesn't really fit into any display I have, but he should be the ultimate thing to play around with at my desk at work.

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Humble Bundle is selling an expanded version of their IDW Transformers comics bundle, including the astronomically good MTMTE!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-revolution-comic-book-bundle

DO NOT MISS IT! At the absolute minimum, buy the 1$ tier which is enough to last you quite a while, but the 8$ tier is extremely recommended as it contains virtually all of MTMTE plus all of Windblade! The 15$ is only recommended if you want the very latest, current stuff, as it doesn't have much more than the 8$ tier otherwise (remember that each volume in the 1$-8$ is 4-5 issues, while what you get in the 15$ tier is mostly single issues).

I repeat, do NOT let this chance slide. Both the 1$ and 8$ tiers are insane value!

(would it be out of place to make a thread in the off topic section for this?)

Ahem. Aside from that, and in case there was any doubt an official Overlord was coming, Hasbro just announced Sky Shadow, which indeed separates into a tank and jet. It's looking quite good, if the tank looks a bit... chibi.
r_DSC03558.jpg

r_DSC03556.jpg

r_DSC03560.jpg

They've also announced a lot of new figures, Titans Returns and others. Sixshot is also in, to round up your phase sixers collection. As usual the Deluxes look great while the bigger sizes not so much.
http://www.seibertron.com/events/event.php?event_id=495

Glad I'm getting the MMC version of Overlord then, that looks... meh

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Holy shit. Titan class indeed.

Also, it's a silly thing, but I love Twinferno's titan master's head, it's so random. Lion face with an eyepatch? Why not?
1475767905-c0272-twinferno-titan-master-robot-mode.png

That's going to look badass with some paint. Which reminds me I have to take some pics of the titan masters I've detailed, I think I've already painted all of them.

That is a Battle Beasts reference. In Japan Battle Beasts were part of TF continuity.

ohQLluH.jpg

NEO0MJ

I think I might just go for MMC's offering. That Shy Shadow doesn't appeal to me much. The lips kinda annoy me but I guess that's staying true to the comic design.

And speaking of third party stuff, what do people consider the best combiners to be?

Aske

That is a Battle Beasts reference. In Japan Battle Beasts were part of TF continuity.

ohQLluH.jpg

GTFO! They were from the same universe? I loved Battle Beasts as a kid. The horse was one of my all time favourite toys. He came in a double pack with a chipmunk-looking dude with a gasmask and machine gun hand.

...I don't know why I loved them so much.

NEO0MJ

So thanks to BBTS's sale I can't decide if I should stick with Overlord or pick up Green Giant or Feral Rex. Each one is $100 cheaper and though I'd prefer the original FR color scheme that's some decent saving.

Edit: Also, why are the coolest designed Transformers always the Decepticons? Bad guy rule of cool?

God damn, that's some hot stuff.

Does it have a base mode?

No, but the tank and the plane can combine into...tank-plane.

[Transformers Classics] Decepticon - Powermaster 01 - Overlord 01g-1 by Fabian Wong, on Flickr

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
And speaking of third party stuff, what do people consider the best combiners to be?

I have Green Giant, Hercules, Uranos, Hades, M3, Feral Rex, and Warbotron (Bruticus), and of those I'd say Feral Rex is the star overall. Hades is also really good, and I don't even care about the Breastforce, they're just great figures and probably the best stuff TFC has made yet. I'm a big fan of the individual figures of Warbotron and Uranos, but they're not super fantastic in combined mode in terms of stability or posing. M3 (Menasor) looks really cool but Motormaster's exploding 3D jigsaw puzzle transformation is a turn-off for most people who aren't Stunticon devotees like me, plus that new larger one is probably a better choice now.

Overall you can't go wrong with Feral Rex, I'd say. Great individual figures and a really badass combined mode.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, that''s the combiner I was leaning towards as well. Now the question is do I buy the purple&black recolor or pony up the extra $100 for the original version.

I have the original because GEEWUN but the purple/black version is pretty great looking in person if you don't care about that.

NEO0MJ

I have the original because GEEWUN but the purple/black version is pretty great looking in person if you don't care about that.

Predaking is one of those characters who I have no personal attachment to so usually it wouldn't bother me but I do feel that the original colors work better, plus they would help him stand out more in my collection, which I just noticed is pretty monotone. Like, it feels the majority of my cons are black, grey, or white with colored highlights Splattered about.

I don't think it will sell out soon so I still have time to think this over.

Edit: A nice thing about the recolor is that it gives the combined form a more unified color scheme.

NEO0MJ

That tankjet is cooler than it has any right to be. For context here is the "tankjet" (emphasis on quotes) mode from the official new Sky Shadow (try not to laugh):

That's not funny, that's just sad.

Wait the overlord figure is now available for purchase? Link please

If you mean MMC's Not-Overlord then not yet but it should be out by the end of this month. Here's a link if you want to preorder it.

Hasbr's version will probably come a few months, maybe even a year after Sky Shadow.

Tizoc

Has idw stated whether the 2015 x-mas special would be collected in tpb form? I mean it was out almost a year ago but hadnt been collected yet @_@

mrkgoo

Now I've gone and done it.

Local department store has a school holiday promotion and just marking all voyager generations figures down about 40%. I found a hotspot and being a huge fan of the original, I grabbed it.

Robot mode looks amazing. But the flimsy plasticbon parts and underwhelming alt mode put me off at first. Made me question getting victorion (which I decided earlier would be cool to have).

But after some play I started to appreciate it. I kind of feel like I need to get the other protectobots now but feel it would be so hard to find all of them in store (I think I actually have seen some though). Maybe I should just stop at hotspot.

I quite like Hotspot's alt mode. What's wrong with it? :)

The Protectobots are my favorite combiner team so far. Their color scheme works so well in combined mode. I'm not a huge fan of First Aid's mold in robot mode with the hunchbacked hood, though.

I don't have Victorion; it looks pretty good but I really dislike how they've used the exact same mold (helicopter) for two of her limbs (at the very least the car molds are different, even though the Sunstreaker/Wheeljack mold is pretty much strictly superior to the other). I do love the combining weapons, though.

Tizoc

I've put off writing this for long enough, which is to say nothing of the half dozen things I wanted to write about for this series that I haven't started writing for to begin with, but you got to start somewhere down the line.

One of the great things about Transformers: More than meets the eye is the writing; James Roberts reminds me of how Morrison can get the message along in a few short panels. This is backed by visual cues where in a panel could have that small little detail that will play a significant role or be mentioned later in the issue itself, or 12 issues later.
To demonstrate this, I will be using these 2 pages from Vol. 2, which I like to call ‘Tailgate begins learning the Autobot Code’.

The Context
Tailgate is a small cute and adorable looking Cybertronian who got in caught in an accident and became MIA. However he was out of commission for eons such that he missed the entire Autobot-Decepticon War, by when he regain consciousness and joined the crew of the Lost Light.

After a short misunderstanding where he claimed he wanted to be a Decepticon, and then gotten straightened out, he decides to take on the right of Auto-brand and who better to teach everything there is to know about the Autobot Code than Ultra Magnus, Duly Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord; the most no non-sense, straight faced, by the book high ranking military official in all of Autobot history.

WLOxs6a.jpg

The first page begins with a panel showing us a close up of the door to Magnus’ office-
2 things stand out here: The first is his title which gets brought up from time to time. The second is that he does not like dirt or otherwise dragged into his office.

We get an overhead view of Tailgate and Magnus in the office. The way Magnus’ dialog is presented shows that he still has his concerns and doubts about Tailgate’s prior statement of wanting to become a Decepticon; Magnus takes his job way more seriously than any Autobot would think, especially when the other 200 or so Autobots on board the ship would’ve found it more of a good joke than anything serious.

2d2g98x.jpg

Tailgate attempts to ease Magnus’ doubts by making a list of his achievements before going MIA, which by the way, do sound very prolific for a bot from pre-war Cybertron. Of interest is his job designation written on his arm: Bomb Disposal.

OFgX62x.png

This page ends with Magnus being convinced to train Tailgate and we once again get to see his title on his name plaque. Tailgate, having much of his life achievements brought up exudes and air of confidence as he begins his training.
Epistemology isn’t a made up word BTW.

7Nkop5D.jpg

At the beginning of the next page we see Magnus begin to arrange the 3 data pads shown in the previous page on his table. This is what I meant about the series having good use of visual cues; you wouldn’t have noticed they were even in the previous page because your focus was on the characters and you just assumed Magnus put them on the table in-between panels.

Magnus begins by telling Tailgate what the Autobot Code is about; about it being more than a 10,000 page military manual and how it is intended as a way of life, a guideline to be followed by the remnants of the planet Cybertron, especially in the post Autobot-Decepticon War world our heroes live in.
Tailgate takes interest in one interesting fact.
yBFrX4j.png

The 3 datapads are shown once more only this time with a line that reads ‘Objects aligned’, if you look at the previous panel, 2 of them had red outlines on them, likely Magnus’ visual receptors pointing an inconsistency with their arrangement.
Magnus proceeds to explain to Tailgate how he approaches the Autobot Code and teaching it, though Tailgate remains fixated on how big the Code is.
kNA8AjM.jpg

Before moving to the final panels, take note of Magnus and Tailgate in the 4 panels above. In the first big panel, Tailgate’s optic plate is normal, in the 2nd big panel and after realizing what he’s going through the plate becomes bigger to indicate his disbelief. Magus shows that he has moved the 3 datapads away from him and close to his name plaque in the 2nd panel, in addition he looks towards Tailgate as well.

As for the 2 smaller panels with a close up of Tailgate, while you would be excused for thinking this is the ‘Repeated Bendis Panel’ technique, there are a few alterations; for one thing Tailgate’s ‘brow’ is different at the top of his head if you look close enough in the 2nd panel. The 2nd panel also puts more emphasis on the word thousand.

g6huOjV.png

The last 2 panels speak for themselves, with the final one further brings forth the serious approach Magnus takes to everything.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That all seems more like an example of how Alex Milne's detailed art choices enhance Roberts' character dialogue than an example of how the writing is great.

mrkgoo

I quite like Hotspot's alt mode. What's wrong with it? :)

The Protectobots are my favorite combiner team so far. Their color scheme works so well in combined mode. I'm not a huge fan of First Aid's mold in robot mode with the hunchbacked hood, though.

I don't have Victorion; it looks pretty good but I really dislike how they've used the exact same mold (helicopter) for two of her limbs (at the very least the car molds are different, even though the Sunstreaker/Wheeljack mold is pretty much strictly superior to the other). I do love the combining weapons, though.

Alt mode just seems kinda plain and flimsy.

Also, I wish I had an extending ladder.

NEO0MJ

Man, still unsure if I should go with Nero Rex. That price tag is still mean but I doubt it'll be cheaper than this for some time.

That all seems more like an example of how Alex Milne's detailed art choices enhance Roberts' character dialogue than an example of how the writing is great.

I think a great example is with Tarn's true identity. Frankly Glitch should have been the more obvious suspect but we were so fixated with Roller we couldn't see the clues. Guess no one cared about him until he put on the mask.

Tizoc

Perhaps in the case of the pages ive shown
But keep in mind that there are other examples such as
The dead universe creature that shows up in brainstorm's workshop
When braimstorm goes to the bar during the first story arc with megatron we see him pouring enrgon into homself thru his arm

Milne would need to know about these story parts for such hints to be on the page

While I agree there is a huge amount of synergy betweem Roberts and Milne, I have to disagree that this doesn't also highlight Roberts' writing. Just read the lines in the very last panel, they're hilarious enough without the illustrations.

Also, Tizoc, I thought you'd add some of the aftermath (which I'll add in text only to further illustrate (heh) my above point):

[TG is resting his arms and head on UM's desk]
UM: "I'm not convinced you're paying attention."
TG: "...what? Oh. Sorry—I, er, I thought I saw some graffiti on your desk. Yeah, some—some really tiny graffiti. 'Ultra Magnus is an O.C.D. control freak who uses learning to hurt people.' But it was just a speck of dirt."
UN: "DIRT?!"
TG: "It's okay, sir—it's gone. It can't hurt you now."

And from issue 3, just because I came across it looking for the above and I also find it funny:

UM: "I once arrested a Decepticon who thought he was a Sparkeater. He called himself the Dark Assassin, Devourer of Souls and Propagator of Infinite Sin. His real name was Blip."

Sorry for the double post but this is a goldmine (don't highlight the spoilers, though) and I have to post some of my least spoileriffic favorites:

Krok: Oh my. Look at that...
Misfire: What? What is it? Should I be running? Am I wasting precious running away time by talking to you?

Skids: "Who told you that?"
Chromedome: "You told Swerve, right? So assume everyone on board knows. In fact, assume everyone on Cybertron knows. In fact, assume that distant alien races, otherwise untouched by civilization—"
Skids: "Okay, okay, point taken."

Top Bottom