• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Woo Jamie! :D

So like I mentioned on IRC, I came out at work yesterday and approximately zero fucks were given. Though to be fair, I only talked to my boss about it so far- my coworkers are a little juvenile so that'll be a little tricky, and I suspect HR will be all HR-y and make it more awkward than it needs to be.

And I'm kinda glamming out a little for PAX- getting my brows waxed, mani/pedi done, and I'm dying my hair purple (because I can, dammit). Coming in Monday with all that and coming out to the rest of the team is gonna be amusing. :)

Dead Man

Woo Jamie! :D

So like I mentioned on IRC, I came out at work yesterday and approximately zero fucks were given. Though to be fair, I only talked to my boss about it so far- my coworkers are a little juvenile so that'll be a little tricky, and I suspect HR will be all HR-y and make it more awkward than it needs to be.

And I'm kinda glamming out a little for PAX- getting my brows waxed, mani/pedi done, and I'm dying my hair purple (because I can, dammit). Coming in Monday with all that and coming out to the rest of the team is gonna be amusing. :)

Awesome, hope the co workers are as good as the boss was.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
and I'm dying my hair purple

92TVn.gif

Hop

CHEEZMO™;36640208 said:
http://i.imgur.com/92TVn.gif

And I wear Chuck Taylors. I am PunkBunny. *nod*

But seriously, I do think that more people should be free to do their hair unnatural colors if they want, especially as we continue moving to a world where professional interaction is less often in-person. (Besides, professionalism is a personality, not a look, and suits are a stupid relic.) That, and when I've done it before I felt like my hair drew all the attention, so any uncommon gender expression I was also putting out was a bit ignored in favor of hair color. So it actually may help ease out the social portions of transitioning and make getting comfortable a little easier. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!

Lucario

And I wear Chuck Taylors. I am PunkBunny. *nod*

But seriously, I do think that more people should be free to do their hair unnatural colors if they want, especially as we continue moving to a world where professional interaction is less often in-person. (Besides, professionalism is a personality, not a look, and suits are a stupid relic.) That, and when I've done it before I felt like my hair drew all the attention, so any uncommon gender expression I was also putting out was a bit ignored in favor of hair color. So it actually may help ease out the social portions of transitioning and make getting comfortable a little easier. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!

I'm going to be at PAX as well... and I already have purple hair and wear pink Chuck Taylors.

Stop copying meeeeeee. :p

(Sound theory on the hair color thing, though. If it's for PAX East you should dye it now; most commercially available purples will initially be far darker initially than after 3-4 washes, and the color most people want is the lighter one.... It doesn't look great right after you dye it.)

Hello, it's been a few years since I last posted because I reset my GAF password but no longer had access to the email address I set it up with. I just finally got the account working again.

Since last posting I finished transition! I'm also a redhead instead of an ash blonde.

... that's all I got.

Like hair red or dye red?

Roquentin

Hello, it's been a few years since I last posted because I reset my GAF password but no longer had access to the email address I set it up with. I just finally got the account working again.

Since last posting I finished transition! I'm also a redhead instead of an ash blonde.

... that's all I got.
Welcome back! That's a lot of good news for such a short post :)

mollipen

Y'all are some redhead bandwagon jumpers! You didn't have to earn the hair color through years and years of torment as a child! You didn't have to go through the pain of hating your hair until the long-awaited day that you could finally accept yourself for who you really are!

Reparations! I want reparations!

...yes, I'm very bitter on this topic. Shut up.

Y'all are some redhead bandwagon jumpers! You didn't have to earn the hair color through years and years of torment as a child! You didn't have to go through the pain of hating your hair until the long-awaited day that you could finally accept yourself for who you really are!

*slowly backs out of thread*

Dai101

Banned

rwByH.gif

Hop

....hugs?

mollipen

Oh, I know, I know; my type are supposed to sit down and shut up as the man—aka the blondes and brunettes of the world—appropriate our culture. I can just take only so much of seeing my red-haired brothers and sisters slandered by the majority, while that majority then steals our identity and passes it off as their own!

Reparations!

Oh, I know, I know; my type are supposed to sit down and shut up as the man—aka the blondes and brunettes of the world—appropriate our culture. I can just take only so much of seeing my red-haired brothers and sisters slandered by the majority, while that majority then steals our identity and passes it off as their own!

Reparations!
*using a megaphone* Shidoshi, please put the knife down. No one needs to get hurt. *motions to SWAT team*

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Reparations!

heh heh, yes! fight the powers that be damnit!

So like I mentioned on IRC, I came out at work yesterday and approximately zero fucks were given.

That's wonderful! What state/country are you doing this in? Does the purple require bleaching first? It's really hard to grow your hair (if you want to) if you keep bleaching it, it makes the ends split.

Like hair red or dye red?

Dye red. It's kind of dark magenta.

Y'all are some redhead bandwagon jumpers!

My experience of being a red head is that you get hit on a lot more. So I don't know what you're being such a martyr about. :p

Platy

I vote for purple hair gaf .... i would have it now, but my hair is so bad that it would melt if I do any chemistry on it =/

*makes some joke about carpets and drapes to shidoshi and walks away running*

mollipen

Shidoshi just wants to hog all the compliments and butt grabs~!

I resent... potentially resemble that remark!

Also, taking a break for a moment from my psychotic ranting, very nice to see Jamie back, and super-awesome Charron as to your experience with coming out to your boss!

Hop

That's wonderful! What state/country are you doing this in? Does the purple require bleaching first? It's really hard to grow your hair (if you want to) if you keep bleaching it, it makes the ends split.

I'm in the moderately-lame part of New York, so it's about the reaction I expected. If I were upstate it'd be a real problem, but...

Yea, bleaching tonight, dying it overnight. I've done it a lot of times before, I know what I'm doing. Kinda. Mostly. >_>

Also, HR was equally "yea, whatever" about it, which is appreciated. Still hate the company but it's nice to know the people don't suck.

Also, HR was equally "yea, whatever" about it, which is appreciated. Still hate the company but it's nice to know the people don't suck.

Great news, sounds like losing your job won't be a problem. I was just in NYC and I felt more at home there than anywhere I've ever lived, it's my favourite place in the world.

Hop

Bah, my hair came out blue/green instead of purple. :(

But at least I'm back on the crazy-colors wagon. :)

Pic? (You can blur out your face if you want to be anon.) Blue is my favourite hair colour. When I was starting to go for a bright blond before I went to red, I was thinking about a blunt blue fringe.

Hop

Pic? (You can blur out your face if you want to be anon.) Blue is my favourite hair colour. When I was starting to go for a bright blond before I went to red, I was thinking about a blunt blue fringe.

Hairfail.jpg

Dunno why I hid myself since I'm meeting actual gaffers within 24 hours...

But yea, took the other jar of purple I have and now I'm soaking in a do-over. The salon folks were pretty positive about it but I still think it looked lousy. They did a great job with my brows though, I actually have curve and definition now. :D

And I know I looked weird as all hell picking up my GAF shirts from UPS. Since I did it right after the salon, so there I am with frizzled, shitty-blue hair, turquoise nails, still wearing the pedicure flip-flops. Easily the most interesting thing that guy will see all day. ^_^

Platy

Can't find an english source and I don't have enoght courage to bump that thread ... but ... you people will probably feel good to know that brazilian lgbt sites are reporting that the canadian miss was accepted back on the contest !

If she show the female documents and stuffs like that.

And it tells that the problem was mainly that wrote that she was cis in the papers ... as much as I can't imagine that they have a "sex you were born with" question on the registration form =P

Dai101

Banned
Can't find an english source and I don't have enoght courage to bump that thread ... but ... you people will probably feel good to know that brazilian lgbt sites are reporting that the canadian miss was accepted back on the contest !

If she show the female documents and stuffs like that.

And it tells that the problem was mainly that wrote that she was cis in the papers ... as much as I can't imagine that they have a "sex you were born with" question on the registration form =P

Yup. I read that in local sources (Mexico) yesterday. Good for her and the whole transgender community i guess.

Don't worry, i'll bump that thread, i can take the flak ;)

Speaking of hair, mine has become far too long again* and summer's coming up. I'm debating whether to take it back to my shoulders or get something more radical done. Transgaf, what do you think?

*Please ignore horrible nightie in photo. It's so old and gross. Ugh.

Hop

Oh dear lol, I remember having hair sort of that colour after 5 days of swimming without washing it as a kid! I hope the re-dye worked out!
Yea, an hour with lots of lathering and a little heat did the trick. Still rather blue but a lot more even.

Kinda wish I got it the first time so I could get my nails done to match, but they didn't have the greatest purples selection anyway.

Also I'm in Boston now! (Cambridge right now technically, but still.)

mollipen

Well, I think it looks good long, and I'm a little jealous that you have hair that is easier to have long like that.

For me personally, it's kind of funny. Back in January I got my hair cut, and was being a little ambiguous in what I was wanting, which resulted in my hair ending up far shorter than I wanted it to be. I kind of freaked out about it, but then a day or two later had come to realize that I loved the look that I had going on.

Being that I'm still pretty new to having long hair, it's definitely a learning experience. At first I was all "my hair has to be long and nothing else," but now I've come to understand that style > length. (Though I do still love the idea of having long hair.)

Dariee

The curls at the end suit you pretty well. Whatever you do, make sure the endings are as curly as they are right now!

Hop

I would like it stated for the record that Shidoshi totally kicked my butt at panel-ing. That is all.

mollipen

I would like it stated for the record that Shidoshi totally kicked my butt at panel-ing. That is all.

I feel really, really bad about how small the turnout for your panel was. I think being one of the first panels on the first day of the show had to hurt attendance, as everybody was basking in the glow of the show opening.

Wow though—the turnout for our panel (transgender characters in gaming) was crazy. I was totally blown away not only by how many people showed up to our panel, but how into the conversation they seemed to be. The hour went by way too quick, and we ended up having to either gloss over or completely skip some of the topics.

We got both audio and video recording of the panel, so I'll let everybody know when it's up somewhere for checking out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I feel really, really bad about how small the turnout for your panel was. I think being one of the first panels on the first day of the show had to hurt attendance, as everybody was basking in the glow of the show opening.

Wow though—the turnout for our panel (transgender characters in gaming) was crazy. I was totally blown away not only by how many people showed up to our panel, but how into the conversation they seemed to be. The hour went by way too quick, and we ended up having to either gloss over or completely skip some of the topics.

We got both audio and video recording of the panel, so I'll let everybody know when it's up somewhere for checking out.

Hurrah! Looking forward to it and sorry I couldn't be your stage mascot, huhu~!

Hop

Didn't help that the description was a bit vague, and we were way away from anything interesting.

But really, I'm glad you had more attendance, comparatively this sorta thing actually matters. And it makes me want to try to work on my RPG world again, since I've been planning to have an FtM ninja character in the cast. Seems there's a slot for a solidly FtM character, and I think I can work the trans part into the whole cast's character development so it actually fits rather than feeling shoehorned in...

Dariee

Dear GAFfers,

Let me excuse myself in advance if this is an inappropriate question (and if so, do let me know!), but how is a binary gender-system being perceived here?

For instance, take a link like this one: http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/04/list-of-ways-to-make-world-trans-friendl/ . Although it could be any random other one, for that matter. Point being, the whole idea there is that a trans*-identity automatically opposes society's tendency of thinking in dichotomous genders (and I have to say, that's how I feel about gender and sex(uality) issues myself as well).

So basically the argument often is that a trans*-identity *proves* there is more to it than thinking in binary male/female. But I can imagine there might also be trans*-individuals that don't think there is 'need for more', as they tend to identify themselves within the dichotomous gendersystem anyway. After all, as much as (for instance) a cis woman might do so, the same could be done by a trans woman, right? (Disclaimer: obviously, both are as much of a woman as the other, but 'dividing' terms are used to make clear what I mean to ask). Both can identify as woman and might not need or want room for more 'queer' or androgynous terms, as that doesn't apply to them to their feelings.

In that sense, it could be perceived that 'using the trans*-argument' could be seen like 'kidnapping' these identities when proposing a broughter gender perspective, while maybe not all (or even not many at all) trans*-individuals agree with that sort of argument. So how, to your experiences or maybe your own beliefs, is that an issue (or maybe isn't)? Cause that's what I'm being curious about: am I 'misusing' trans*-identities when I use these as an example (among others) when proposing a broader gender-perspective? Like, how do you GAFfers think/feel about that?

Of course I shouldn't step on the trap of approaching the posters in this topic as a homogenous group, so let me state that I see comments on this question - if it's not a rude one; let me know if it is! - as individual replies. Again, I have to say that I'm sorry if I use inappropriate language, as I'm not well known with how everyone feels here.

Just a question out of mere curiosity, but would be great if it were answered. And this topic seems like the right place, in that case. Looking forward to any replies, as I hope to learn from them!

Best and thank you in advance,

Dariee

(P.S. By using 'trans*' as a reference I try to include as many identities as possible without excluding any, so hope that makes my question more clear while using as appropriate language/discourse as possible).

fireside

I’m honestly not sure what you’re asking.

But, having made the same mistake in the past, and feeling guilty about it, I feel the need to say that you should put a space between trans or cis and man or woman, e.g. trans woman instead of transwoman.

Top Bottom