• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Dariee

Why not use a bodygroomer (which might be used during showering as well)? It's not so close to the skin that you could get cuts or need razor cream or anything (I actually shave dry with it), but it is close enough so that you make the hair disappear.

Downside is that it grows back faster than waxing or using an epilator, as you only cut the hair on the outside of the body intead or removing it completely.

Have you considered you may be a lesbian? ;) A man with hair in the right spots is delicious.

I've considered I may be bi (;
I disagree, but to each her own d:

They're both horrible in their own special way. Waxing is like ripping off huge plasters so it's at least quick, but it's probably more expensive in the long run than just buying a reasonable quality epilator and just dealing with it. Having a hot bath or shower right before, and getting one of those epilators with an ice pack attached can help a lot (although I never use the one on mine any more since my leg hair is too sparse to cause much pain).
Ahh insightful, I'll look into them then!

I gotta agree with the lady above: body hair on men is a bit nasty, really.
At least I'm not alone. I always thought I was the only one who thought that way.

Why not use a bodygroomer (which might be used during showering as well)? It's not so close to the skin that you could get cuts or need razor cream or anything (I actually shave dry with it), but it is close enough so that you make the hair disappear.

Downside is that it grows back faster than waxing or using an epilator, as you only cut the hair on the outside of the body intead or removing it completely.
Never heard of that before to be quite honest. I'll look into that as well :D

lexi

Banned
I don't think I'll use that, sorry, I know you mean well.

A large majority of this forum already knows I'm trans, I make no secret of it. But there's just something that feels wrong about having that symbol there, like a scarlet letter.

mollipen

I don't think I'll use that, sorry, I know you mean well.

I would say the same thing. I totally understand the appeal to showing your connection to a part of a group (I know some of the GayGAF folks do that), but for me, while I'm always ready to jump into trans-related discussions, I don't feel like I want to label myself as just being that.

Also... as weird as this'll sound, not everybody on GAF knows about my trans status. Not that it's a secret, but as I'm active on the gaming side of GAF as well due to my connections via work and the overall fandom, I'm also not sure I want to directly call that out. I have business contacts that seem to watch my every move on the gaming side, and I'm sure I'd start hearing it in a moment if my avatar supported that. *laughs*

And yeah, I know! It's strange to be both out and kinda-sorta-not-out on the exact same message forums, but that's the way it's ended up working. (Shows you how big this place is.)

iirate

My only issue with it is that my avatar (and I'm sure some others) would start getting mighty cluttered if we had a badge for every GAF minority group we belonged to.

That being said, thanks for making them and I'd still consider using said av if there were enough others participating.

tearsofash

EDIT: tearsofash I was going to do one for you, but the layer was always locked, and I'm not that skilled with photoshop, so I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry ):

You could just post the symbol and I'll add it in myself. I can probably figure something out while still keeping transparency (no pun intended?)

Been MIA since Thursday, and now I'm really exhausted. Was in Ohio for first degree OTO initiations. Takes a lot out of you.

Told my parents today. They were pretty supportive. The first thing out of their mouths was "What makes you think Southern Baptists wouldn't "like" it?!" My mom barely said a word though. My stepdad did most of the conversing. It was really similar to when I told them I was into BDSM.

Gregorn

This is a really interesting thread to read, stuff like this isn't discussed in the 'real world' so it's hard to get a proper insight to what it's like.

Also, what's the point of being gay if you only like men that look like girls?

Dead Man

This is a really interesting thread to read, stuff like this isn't discussed in the 'real world' so it's hard to get a proper insight to what it's like.

There is no 'point' to any sexual orientation, it is just a preference. I like tomboys and manly men. There is no great design behind it, same as those who prefer girly girls or effeminate men.

On a semi related note, I find it frustrating there is no equivalent term for tomboy. Would probably help a bit if there was a similarly relatively neutral term for boys who act stereotypically female in some or a few ways.

I'm just into feminine people in general. When I was young, that pretty much meant I thought I was into girls; in my twenties, moved out of the village and into the city, surrounded by beautiful people, I realised it meant anyone feminine who could move like this and do that and I'll be in my bunk.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Any tips on growing hair out as a male? The awkward phase hits me bad. I read differing opinions on blow drying and cutting. I went from a pretty standard guy's hair cut and haven't cut it in 5-6 months. I had it long 5 years ago, so I know I want to go through with it.

Platy

My only issue with it is that my avatar (and I'm sure some others) would start getting mighty cluttered if we had a badge for every GAF minority group we belonged to.

hehehe this !

I'm part of SO MANY minoritys on gaf (from south americans to "poeple who don't believe nintendo is doomed" =P) that my avatar would become a badge on itself xD

*hug!*

Anyone have comments/experiences to share on laser hair removal? I'm hoping I can start getting my face lasered sometime over the summer, just curious what folks have to say on the subject.

My trans friend told me, during her initial hair-removal, that she completely regretted saving her face for last due to the pain.

mollipen

My trans friend told me, during her initial hair-removal, that she completely regretted saving her face for last due to the pain.

I know I've heard that it hurts more once you're on hormones, so if at all possible, you should get it done before starting.

Any tips on growing hair out as a male? The awkward phase hits me bad. I read differing opinions on blow drying and cutting. I went from a pretty standard guy's hair cut and haven't cut it in 5-6 months. I had it long 5 years ago, so I know I want to go through with it.

For me, I had to just power through it. Mine was bad, because I have very curly hair that is nothing but a total mess in that period between being super short and being a decent length.

Also, I'd say finding a good stylish to help you out is something I'd definitely recommend. It took me a long time to go to a stylish, and I ended up regretting waiting that long.

Otherwise... it's just suffering! No way around it! *laughs*

iirate

I had my first laser session just a couple of months ago (lower face/neck), went in expecting tons of pain, and it actually wasn't that bad (I'm not on 'mones yet, though). Everything was beyond tolerable until the chin; I definitely flinched a bit there, but the rest was pretty smooth.

Also, growing hair out SUCKS. I'm right in the middle of the awkward phase, with wavy as fuck hair that doesn't do anything I want it to (although I don't currently use any hair products to help it along...). 7 years ago (when I was 18), my hair was halfway down my back, and I'm really hating that I cut it ATM.

I had my first laser session just a couple of months ago (lower face/neck), went in expecting tons of pain, and it actually wasn't that bad (I'm not on 'mones yet, though). Everything was beyond tolerable until the chin; I definitely flinched a bit there, but the rest was pretty smooth.

Also, growing hair out SUCKS. I'm right in the middle of the awkward phase, with wavy as fuck hair that doesn't do anything I want it to (although I don't currently use any hair products to help it along...). 7 years ago (when I was 18), my hair was halfway down my back, and I'm really hating that I cut it ATM.

Yeah, my hair has just been cut short this month :( Everyone was nagging me because it was at that stupid point where you can't make it look good and I weakened my resolve for a moment :(

So I'm a little way off hormones yet I think, now's the time to look at laser for my face huh? *looks into it*

Yeah, same for me. I have/had pretty light-coloured stubble on extremely pale skin (paler skin than I've seen on anyone who isn't ginger) which may have something to do with it. May also have something to do with it not being 100% effective; I still need to get my strays electro-zapped :(

lexi

Banned
I haven't really talked about this here cause I've been trying to avoid Livejournal'ing in this thread... but my FFS surgery in September is officially confirmed and pretty much fully paid for, I'm very excited!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I haven't really talked about this here cause I've been trying to avoid Livejournal'ing in this thread... but my FFS surgery in September is officially confirmed and pretty much fully paid for, I'm very excited!

Hurrah! Hope everything goes awesome for you! :D

Platy

Congrats, good luck and "ouch" =x

INPAQ

Neo Member
I guess this is appropriate to post here..

Anyway, a very powerful video revolving around a young black cross-dresser/hustler and the well being of his family.

SPIRITUALIZED: Hey Jane (NSFW)

Extra Tidbits

Turns out the main lead in the video is no other than DragQueen/Race star Tyra Sanchez and that's his actual biological son playing the young boy character (both who did an incredible job).

You can see the father/son duo in the clip/link below...

http://youtu.be/NDrT55ZNnyQ

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Good luck.

iirate

That's freaking awesome!

Boogiepop

Hey everyone!

I've actually been lurking for a while, but this is probably my first time openly posting in a trans thread.

Anyway, I've mostly been kind of wiggling back and forth for about two and a half years now, telling myself "I'm trans," "I'm not," "I need to transition," "I don't need to transition" on and off nonstop. (At least through my entire highschool experience I was in some form of denial, figuring I wasn't actually trans, just curious as to what it'd be like to be a woman.)

I came out to my parents a bit after things finally clicked with me, and they were accepting (as I expected), but I of course waffled back and forth afterwards (as I can't help but do) and they're so overprotective anyway that I can't help but feel like I'm kinda half coming out to them anytime I mention anything.

So I've mostly just been stuck in a back and forth of feeling like "I'm fine" to "oh god this is crushing me," and it's just been kind of going on like that. Of course I'm talking to a professional (someone who comes recommended by the community from what I can tell), but even there I feel like I'm leaving a different impression with him each time because I'm so mentally wishy-washy. In the meantime I've just been slowly taking baby steps on my own, like shaving off pretty much all my body hair (people noticed my arm hair disappearing after a while, but I've managed to play it off for now), as well as stuff like just trying to grow out my hair.

Hopefully I didn't go overboard in venting.

mollipen

You have to take it at your own pace. I feel like I've been taking things really slowly as well, but I have a complex home situation to deal with, and I want to make sure that what I'm doing isn't a mistake.

It can be really, really frustrating, but I'd rather have frustration now than huge regret later if I just dive in before being sure of the actions I'm taking.

Don't over work yourself, or force yourself to do things, and as said above..take it at your own pace.

Anyway, I'm going away for awhile. I have depression issues and suicide thoughts to work out, as well as finding a job that won't reject me right away. Thanks for all the help so far. Hope to be back sooner rather than later.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Don't over work yourself, or force yourself to do things, and as said above..take it at your own pace.

Anyway, I'm going away for awhile. I have depression issues and suicide thoughts to work out, as well as finding a job that won't reject me right away. Thanks for all the help so far. Hope to be back sooner rather than later.

Best of luck to you!

lexi

Banned
Hey everyone!

I've actually been lurking for a while, but this is probably my first time openly posting in a trans thread.

Anyway, I've mostly been kind of wiggling back and forth for about two and a half years now, telling myself "I'm trans," "I'm not," "I need to transition," "I don't need to transition" on and off nonstop. (At least through my entire highschool experience I was in some form of denial, figuring I wasn't actually trans, just curious as to what it'd be like to be a woman.)

I came out to my parents a bit after things finally clicked with me, and they were accepting (as I expected), but I of course waffled back and forth afterwards (as I can't help but do) and they're so overprotective anyway that I can't help but feel like I'm kinda half coming out to them anytime I mention anything.

So I've mostly just been stuck in a back and forth of feeling like "I'm fine" to "oh god this is crushing me," and it's just been kind of going on like that. Of course I'm talking to a professional (someone who comes recommended by the community from what I can tell), but even there I feel like I'm leaving a different impression with him each time because I'm so mentally wishy-washy. In the meantime I've just been slowly taking baby steps on my own, like shaving off pretty much all my body hair (people noticed my arm hair disappearing after a while, but I've managed to play it off for now), as well as stuff like just trying to grow out my hair.

Hopefully I didn't go overboard in venting.

I remember experiencing similar turmoil in my adolescence, teens and early 20s. It was mostly denial and my refusal to accept that I was different. I tried really hard to ignore how I felt and just try to be 'normal'. Even after accepting myself as trans, that wasn't the end of it. I tried to accept being trans without needing to transition. I changed my lifestyle, eating habits, clothes, hair, all in the (vain) hope that it would somehow suffice.

It didn't.

I don't really regret how I've lived my life but if I could change one thing, it would be to stop procrastinating, stop making excuses, stop denying and just take action. I'm not saying this will apply to anyone here, but I hope it can lend some direction to those that may need it.

Oh and welcome btw!

Hello, it's been a few years since I last posted because I reset my GAF password but no longer had access to the email address I set it up with. I just finally got the account working again.

Since last posting I finished transition! I'm also a redhead instead of an ash blonde.

... that's all I got.

Maiar_m

Hello, it's been a few years since I last posted because I reset my GAF password but no longer had access to the email address I set it up with. I just finally got the account working again.

Since last posting I finished transition! I'm also a redhead instead of an ash blonde.

... that's all I got.
Glad to have you back. I would probably never have been introduced to this thread and what it discusses if not for you.

Top Bottom