• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

nib95

Banned
Really excited about this. One of my most anticipated indies. I'm really enjoying Child of Light at the moment, and this looks like it could offer a similarly engrossing experience.

I so hyped for this game! I remember picking up Bastion on a whim that summer of 2011, and I was blown away. It was probably one of my favorite games that year.

I've loved everything that I've seen out of this game, and already ordered the OST. Looking forward to next week!

I want to preorder on hype alone but I havent played Bastion

But it's pretty much a guaranteed purchase... unless it's like a 3 hour game

kasavin

Curious, does this game run at 60 fps on PS4?

Yes, 1080p 60fps. *

* Depending on how hardcore you're going to audit this claim, there are times when it isn't 60 either on purpose or during certain situations we thought were cool enough that the trade-off was worthwhile. It's 60 the vast majority of the time.

Shepard

We've seen a grand total of 1 area of this game since it was announced last year. I know that being secretive is kinda nice to avoid spilling the surprises, but this is kiiinda too much.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yes, 1080p 60fps. *

* Depending on how hardcore you're going to audit this claim, there are times when it isn't 60 either on purpose or during certain situations we thought were cool enough that the trade-off was worthwhile. It's 60 the vast majority of the time.

Are there any visual differences between the PS4 version and the PC version at max settings/1080p? I guess what I'm asking is, are the assets and visual effects all identical?

Yes, 1080p 60fps. *

I'm okay with this.

christian-bale-kermit-the-frog.gif

kasavin

What's the gameplay like? Similar to Bastion?

In Bastion we were going for a very actiony feel that rewarded playing with finesse, with lots of timing-based mechanics and more of an emphasis on player skill than stats. We wanted it to be the sort of game where you could resolve just about any fight without ever getting hit if you were good enough (vs. a typical ARPG where damage can be trivialized but not avoided).

In Transistor we are going for a more deliberate and tactical feel where you can dictate the flow of a battle and have more moments of suspense and anticipation in a typical encounter. Factors like positioning, range, cover, and target selection are meant to naturally factor into your thought process. The combat should feel more open.

kasavin

Are there any visual differences between the PS4 version and the PC version at max settings/1080p? I guess what I'm asking is, are the assets and visual effects all identical?

Yes, the assets and visual effects and so on are identical between platforms.

There are minor interface differences of course, in which button labels you see (unless you use the DualShock 4 with the PC version!).

Awesome OT! Looks nice on mobile as well. Looking forward to this game.

Also, PSA for cheapass EuroGAF:

If you want to buy this game on PC, you can save some money by buying it directly from Supergiant Games. You get a Steam key at release. They also offer the game+OST bundle.

Transistor
Supergiant: $19.99 (~€14,50, ~£11.85)
Steam: €18,99 / £14.99

and with this I won't be buying, why should PC gamers get this cheaper than PS4 owners? Nope.

Every video I see shows shooting enemies with the sword. Do you ever actually swing the sword, like....a sword??? If not, why not a projectile weapon?

Jomjom

Banned
Loved Bastion and own it on almost everything imaginable. Have my preorder locked in already for this.

I hope there will be more music like the song that was in the reveal trailer. That song with those visuals got me right then and there. I would have preordered that day if able.

kasavin

Every video I see shows shooting enemies with the sword. Do you ever actually swing the sword, like....a sword??? If not, why not a projectile weapon?

It isn't a sword exactly but I know what you mean. There are some more close-quarters types of things that you'll find it can do, we've just only shown the four functions you get near the start.

kasavin

I hope there will be more music like the song that was in the reveal trailer.

The music is a big part of the game, so for sure there's more where that came from (plus the full-length version of that track). We'll have the OST out there on Tuesday same as the game, though if you care about spoilery type stuff I suggest not listening to it before playing the game since it's all tied together.

hohoXD123

When's the review embargo out of interest?

The music is a big part of the game, so for sure there's more where that came from (plus the full-length version of that track). We'll have the OST out there on Tuesday same as the game, though if you care about spoilery type stuff I suggest not listening to it before playing the game since it's all tied together.

I. Need. This.

I really like this newfound focus on "New Game+"-type content in single-player games. Both this and Dark Souls 2 have a NG+ option that (sounds to) profoundly change the game on a second playthrough, which should keep it interesting if you want to continue playing from there. It's always fantastic when you play a game you really like and discover that it has difficulty modes that actually change the game, especially after beating it and craving moar.

It just really makes me feel like the developers appreciate their players when they add that sort of thing; it's like they're saying "hey, you like the game! That's great, here's some more!"

Edit

Your studio is very talented at music; Bastion's music is fantastic and Transistor (judging from the trailer) seems to follow suit. Because of this, I'm really glad you make the OST available for those that want it, I wish more developers did that sort of thing.

In short, thank you, and keep up the good work!

In Bastion we were going for a very actiony feel that rewarded playing with finesse, with lots of timing-based mechanics and more of an emphasis on player skill than stats. We wanted it to be the sort of game where you could resolve just about any fight without ever getting hit if you were good enough (vs. a typical ARPG where damage can be trivialized but not avoided).

In Transistor we are going for a more deliberate and tactical feel where you can dictate the flow of a battle and have more moments of suspense and anticipation in a typical encounter. Factors like positioning, range, cover, and target selection are meant to naturally factor into your thought process. The combat should feel more open.

You are a terrible person. Either stop talking right this instant or send me a code so I can play this right now. I'll not have you making the rest of this wait harder.

grapetile

Neo Member
Got this game pre-ordered. Been interested since the reveal, and haven't seen anything that's taken away from that interest since. Should be a really good time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While I'm quite excited for the game I must say I really dislike the animation used for the normal attack. Instead of swinging the sword the character just sort of holds it out in a weird way. It just doesn't seem quite right.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, though.

Prototype

This Looks cool. Isn't this the game about people losing their voices? And the main character is a singer ?

I really like the idea of this story and the game looks beautiful.

cookiebandit18

Neo Member
I'm so glad this is finally coming out. Bastion provided me with some of my favorite experiences in videos games and I hope Transistor can do the same while still changing up the non-gameplay formula.

can't wait. this will definitely be day one on PS4 for me. especially can't wait for that soundtrack, since i really loved bastion's.

also got this poster from them, signed by jen zee, their art director!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
My current plan: play Transistor while installing Wolfenstein: TNO. I figure I'll finish the former before the latter finishes downloading all 50 GB. :p

Experien

Why, it looks great?

I have plenty of games that look great already. I am interested and would probably bite without question at $10 but have not been persuaded as to why this deserves more.

Also I'm just not fully ready for $20 to be the new norm for DL titles. And having not played Bastion, I have no ticket for the hype train.

Okay, I'm ready for Tuesday. Already preordered on PSN last week and I can't wait to finally play this. I tried to play at PAX last September, but the line was always crazy long. After listening to Greg on this week's Bombcast, the PSBlog post about Recursion Mode and his posts here today; I'm more excited for Transistor than Wolfenstein.

Top Bottom