• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy balls, had no idea it was this soon! Beat Bastion 6 months ago and have been waiting for this ever since :D

Sendou

Wait the embargo is dropping the same day this is releasing? They're offering pre-order with no benefits at all? Okaaay then. Sounds legit. Maybe I'll wait for those reviews.

Yes, 1080p 60fps. *

* Depending on how hardcore you're going to audit this claim, there are times when it isn't 60 either on purpose or during certain situations we thought were cool enough that the trade-off was worthwhile. It's 60 the vast majority of the time.

Absolutely unacceptable!

* Pitchfork mode engaged *

This has been one of my Top 5 most anticipated releases since announcement. Bastion was brilliance.

Jomjom

Banned
The music is a big part of the game, so for sure there's more where that came from (plus the full-length version of that track). We'll have the OST out there on Tuesday same as the game, though if you care about spoilery type stuff I suggest not listening to it before playing the game since it's all tied together.

Yay! Thanks for the confirmation! This is the game I am most hyped for this year.

kasavin

Any idea on how long the game is? Looks amazing either way!

Man I hate talking about game length. I feel like it's a multiple-choice question where all the answers are wrong.

TL;DR
if you've played our first game then this one should be in the same ballpark for you

And now, for a treatise on game length! <standing on soap box, clearing throat>

In our playtests there was a lot of variance in play-through durations (as much as 50% difference from one player to the next). Some players take the fights in this game very deliberately while others don't, due to the nature of the planning mode and how it works.

Also there is (in my take-with-a-grain-of-salt opinion) a considerable amount of side content in this game that you can simply skip if you want to get to the end faster.

When making games at no point do we aim for some magical "hours of gameplay" number. It is more about making sure the promise set forth by the narrative and gameplay is delivered upon, without wasting the player's time. It's not difficult to make a game longer. It's more difficult to make a game with a good pace. We're more interested in seeing if we can do that.

The result we want is: If you're the type of person whose time is precious, we want you to be able to get through the game in a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have an experience that leaves a lasting and positive impression. We want you to not regret having played and finished one of our games.

If you're the type of person who wants to really dig into a game and spend a lot of quality time with it, we want to provide a lot of richness and variance in the gameplay to make it replayable and stay fresh so that you get a really good value. That's not about trying to be all things to all people, it's more about catering to two specific mindsets we happen to have on team and naturally gravitate to as game players.

Expectations about game length are all over the place so I hope this helps you calibrate yours.

Man I hate talking about game length. I feel like it's a multiple-choice question where all the answers are wrong.

TL;DR
if you've played our first game then this one should be in the same ballpark for you

In our playtests there was a lot of variance in play-through durations (as much as 50% difference from one player to the next). Some players take the fights in this game very deliberately while others don't, due to the nature of the planning mode and how it works.

Also there is (in my take-with-a-grain-of-salt opinion) a considerable amount of side content in this game that you can simply skip if you want to get to the end faster.

When making games at no point do we aim for some magical "hours of gameplay" number. It is more about making sure the promise set forth by the narrative and gameplay is delivered upon, without wasting the player's time. It's not difficult to make a game longer. It's more difficult to make a game with a good pace. We're more interested in seeing if we can do that.

The result we want is: If you're the type of person whose time is precious, we want you to be able to get through the game in a reasonable amount of time and hopefully have an experience that leaves a lasting and positive impression. We want you to not regret having played and finished one of our games.

If you're the type of person who wants to really dig into a game and spend a lot of quality time with it, we want to provide a lot of richness and variance in the gameplay to make it replayable and stay fresh so that you get a really good value. That's not about trying to be all things to all people, it's more about catering to two specific mindsets we happen to have on team and naturally gravitate to as game players.

Expectations about game length are all over the place so I hope this helps you calibrate yours.

Excellent answer and I appreciate the response! I always take my time with games of this genre anyway, don't really rush through them. Day 1 purchase for me on PS4. I wish every success to you guys.

TL;DR

lol, I am enjoying your answers.

Now for the most important question, that I think everyone must know the answer to. AA algorithm, which one are you using and does it start with F or M ?

_woLf

I feel like this game is getting absolutely no love from the press or Sony's marketing team. Really a shame because it looks fantastic. :/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I feel like this game is getting absolutely no love from the press or Sony's marketing team. Really a shame because it looks fantastic. :/

Too much game, not enough voice over stuff for marketing to lean on. It's alright though, I'm hoping the more tactical combat proves itself in the long run.

TL;DR

The sheer fact that you would rather present this mindset than trying to give some kind of ballpark response only furthers my confidence

kasavin

Now for the most important question, that I think everyone must know the answer to. AA algorithm, which one are you using and does it start with F or M ?

The game uses 2D art assets so AA is not relevant in our game (as Andrew one of our engineers puts it "wouldn't really do anything but slow down the game"). Hop in one of those King of Fighters / BlazBlue threads around here on GAF and ask those guys what they think of smoothing / anti-aliasing...

kasavin

Ever thought about putting Bastion on Vita?

This is a frequently asked question, and the answer is we have no plans for any other versions of the game (other than native Linux and Mac versions at some point). All our focus is on the PS4 and PC launch next week. Everything else will depend on how the game is received, how we're feeling as a team once the dust settles, and so on. Things we can't predict. A nice thing about being a small team is we don't have to plan too far ahead.

I'll add that on a personal level I like the Vita a lot, and appreciate the interest, though the fact that I like a game system should not be taken as evidence of anything. I like a lot of game systems, e.g. the Neo Geo.

This is a frequently asked question, and the answer is we have no plans for any other versions of the game (other than native Linux and Mac versions at some point). All our focus is on the PS4 and PC launch next week. Everything else will depend on how the game is received, how we're feeling as a team once the dust settles, and so on. Things we can't predict. A nice thing about being a small team is we don't have to plan too far ahead.

I'll add that on a personal level I like the Vita a lot, and appreciate the interest, though the fact that I like a game system should not be taken as evidence of anything. I like a lot of game systems, e.g. the Neo Geo.

Thanks for the response! I had already figured that it was out of the question as, like you said, you're a small team that can only focus on one product at a time. Not mention that I'm sure you all want to push forward on a new IP once you've all accomplished all you wanted for Transistor.

I was just curious. Thanks again!

derExperte

Wait the embargo is dropping the same day this is releasing? They're offering pre-order with no benefits at all? Okaaay then. Sounds legit. Maybe I'll wait for those reviews.

I'd prefer a discount too but it actually shows a certain level of confidence, if I think my game is bad I'll try to make as many people preorder as possible with a bunch of incentives. And on Steam you can easily cancel preorders so if the first reviews are surprinsgly bad there's still a way out. So whatever, I'm in.

Mrbob

Is there a sampling of tracks anywhere? I may want to purchase the soundtrack bundle but I'd like to grab a glimpse of what I'm getting from the soundtrack.

Edit: I see I can purchase the soundtrack separately on Steam. Good, good.

The game uses 2D art assets so AA is not relevant in our game (as Andrew one of our engineers puts it "wouldn't really do anything but slow down the game"). Hop in one of those King of Fighters / BlazBlue threads around here on GAF and ask those guys what they think of smoothing / anti-aliasing...

Heheh

Is there a sampling of tracks anywhere? I may want to purchase the soundtrack bundle but I'd like to grab a glimpse of what I'm getting from the soundtrack.

Edit: I see I can purchase the soundtrack separately on Steam. Good, good.

Unless Korb's had some kinda compose-ectomy, I'm treating this like an Etrian Odyssey game and expecting to get my ears blown off in ways I can never imagine in situ.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
Game looks amazing. Minimum requirements 1 gb vram. That is a large amount of vram for a 2d game.

There must be a large amount of 2d assets in the levels or a ton of animations. Can't wait to check it out.

Pre-ordered and ready to rock.

Side note the art director(s?) at Super Giant Games deserve a raise. I adore all the promo and in game art from Bastion and Transistor appears to be no different.

Top Bottom