• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRAVOLTA IS ON 3 CHANNELS AT ONCE! ESPN NFL IS IN! (aka the ESPN love thread)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
basically you have a certain number of hours you can spend coaching your team in a given week, so you have to carefully select who to workout, how to work them out, when to let your team have a day off to relax, how to motivate them, how long they watch game film, how many team meetings, etc.

you can gain small, but noticible stat increases for your team in the areas you worked in (or declines if you mismanage the workouts) that last for that weeks game.

If this works properly, it could finnaly make the 2k series franchise mode worth playing (assuming the trade AI and salary cap management are tweaked).

it's a nice thought, but the jury is still out on its effect. lets say you work on your tackling all week or whatever, what if there are still a lot of broken tackles for the other team? what i mean is i hope this isn't just a hollow feature that in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean anything regarding stats.

until VC gets their sim/stat engine in decent order, ESPN will always be second best to madden in the franchise department.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
from what I have read you can get up to a 15% stat increase in any one category... so the better your team allready is at something, the larger increase you can get..

example: a team with a running game rated 90 with a 10% gain = 99 rating in running.

a team with a 70 running game with a 10% increase = 77 running game.

Which I guess makes sense in the real world, but it seems like a case of the rich getting richer to me... do we really want a team that is allready overloaded in one category becoming more overloaded?

Its intended to help your team explot another teams weeknesses and patch holes to defend against that teams strengths... but you get a larger stat increase in categories you are allready proficient in so you could gain more by boosting allready inflated stats.. so I think there is potential for some major cheese there.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
FMT, since you have looked into this more than most here, ;) what sim stats were out of whack besides rushing? I really like realistic sports games and never noticed any crazy stats besides that one personally (of course I rarely do more than one year in franchise mode...)

pilonv1

I'm pretty sure that one of the videos mentioned it would result in a maximum of 5-6 points in one category, not overall.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
For me, it seems like way too much micromanagement. I saw the video and explanation of the feature, it just seemed like way too much work.

here were the problem areas stats wise for espns franchise:

- rushing numbers were ridiculous when you played. sim stats were different

- probowl voting was a sham. how does faulk make the probowl with sub-800 yards and i get 2,000+ and dont get in on the voting?

- tackling numbers were a problem. they were just out of whack... defensive linemen had almost no tackles in a season, CB's and LB's were out of proportion which leads me to my next qualm...

- when you sorted through the league leaders section of defensive stats for instance, if you weren't in the top echelon in tackling, you couldn't sort your own individual stats for INT's or sacks or whatever. it's hard to explain but anyone who has played and tried to look that stuff up on a league leader basis knows what i'm saying

- power rankings were a joke. i love the idea, but the rankings were RIDICULOUS. a 7-9 bengals team finish ahead in the power rankings of a 10-6 team etc. p.s. and no the bengals weren't on a win streak, so dont start that.

to be honest i just dont have confidence in VC's stat-tracking or simming engine. hopefully that will change this year, but i'm always on edge expecting the worst in franchise modes since the beginning of NFL 2kx

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Fifty said:
Sounds more like an RPG than a sports game.

You could say the same thing about selling concessions in Madden I suppose. This is no knock on Madden, but weekly prep is an integral part of football in real life and the RPG elements do play a prt in the game itself.

Yep, yet another example of another genre being forced to have rpg elements. I hope you guys have fun leveling up your players. It was a sad day when the rpg nerds took over. Then again, it's a benefit to those really hardcore football fans with a lot of time on their hands. And it helps in playing a lot of games, as you won't be able to compete against the best unless you put in a hundred games. Doing that in the franchise mode could make a certain sense.

As for confidence in VC in fixings things, I guess I do have confidence in them, as they generally are very progressive. They could get all corporate and put in a bunch of features of dubious worth, but I don't get that sense from them. Also, in a perfect universe these games would be made every 2 years with flexible roster management updates to stay current. In reality, these games are the most rushed in the business, so I don't mind a couple of bugs that only extensive playtesting by good players could unsurface.

DMczaf

They could get all corporate and put in a bunch of features of dubious worth, but I don't get that sense from them.

919830_20040709_screen003.jpg
919830_20040601_screen002.jpg

Yeah, they would never do that.

Yeah, there should be a "nothing but" in there somewhere. They change and improve the graphics and gameplay extensively enough that it's worth the 50$ a year. That fluff barely even exists to me. Never bought Madden more than every year the engine changed (with the exception of '92,'93), so VC is doing something right.

Matlock

Banned
Just got the call from EB! Going to wait until tomorrow to get it, though. Runnin' low on gas, and mom's already going up that tomorrow anyway.

Man oh man oh man, this'll be the first football game I buy since NFL Fever 2002!

:D

Fifty

Man, you don't have broadband and you're not in the league, but you're one lucky bastard! :p

I can't believe that your copy is in and you're choosing to wait! :( :( :(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
2k5front_forboxers.jpg

2k5back_forboxers.jpg

Some kid from the ign forums got it >_<

DMczaf

Ugh, those pictures make me NOT want to get the game. Now everytime I look at my ESPN box I will see that weirdo.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

retardboy

Biff Hardbody said:
Where in NY???

Check out Operation Sports... They have a huge thread about who got it. Lots of people got it from mom and pop stores. EBs and Gamestops don't got it yet. Try some privately owned stores over there. Seems like almost all of them have got it already.

retardboy

Here are a some posts I found

Gamechamp in NYC, XBOX, no preorder needed but not too many copies left.

Looks like the independent game stores are coming through for those of us in NYC. I just picked up the game (ps2 version) at the Game Champ on Nevin St. in downtown Brooklyn.

I live here in Yonkers NY and the Dragons Den said they will have it in like an hour I hope

BREAKNEWS TO MY PEOPLE IN QUEENS THEY 2K5 IM BOUT TO PICK UP MY COPY THATS RIGHT THEY HAVE IT HERES THE NUMBER CALL 1718 465-4942 JOYCE LAND ON HILLSIDE AND ASK HIM IM NOT LYING IM ON MY WAY RIGHT NOWWWWW SO I WILL BE BACK IM NOT GONNA PROMISE YALL ANYTIME BUT I WILL POST EVERYTHING

Action Pak
783 Allerton Ave, Bronx, NY
(718)-231-9311

will have the game after 5 est

Just got mine from a mom and pop store in nyc...dude was laughing when i got 6 copies!

i am from bay ridge, gamechamp is between gelston avenue and fort hamilton parkway, if you don't know these streets, they are basically just 2 blocks up from 5th avenue, on 86th st., there's a big pet store next to the place, i'm heading there too when i get home from work, i just hope they have some left

Yo NY guy..Game trade...maiden lane around nassau strete....

-------------------------

Hope that helps

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah, I just finished reading the thread. I'm in Manhatten though, and those places would take me an hour or so to get to, and I can't do that right now. If I knew place in Manhatten that had it, I'd be all over it. Thanks though.

Biff Hardbody said:
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah, I just finished reading the thread. I'm in Manhatten though, and those places would take me an hour or so to get to, and I can't do that right now. If I knew place in Manhatten that had it, I'd be all over it. Thanks though.
the game champ store at nevins street is the second stop in brooklyn on the 4 train... it's under 30min from midtown during rush hour at this time of day...

15 minutes to get to train station and wait for train+30 minute train ride+10-15 minutes to find the store in an area I'm unfamiliar with=an hour.

Faceless, do me a favor and check your private messages when you have a chance.

Rain doesn't bother me, I love it. Its probably better I wait till tomorrow anyway, I'll have more cash then and would have to trade in a game today to get ESPN.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The Faceless Master said:
the game champ store at nevins street is the second stop in brooklyn on the 4 train... it's under 30min from midtown during rush hour at this time of day...
You can also take the 2,3 and 5 train to get to nevin.

Edit: Biff, its right by the train station. Look for the McDonalds on the first floor of the Verizon building when you go top side, and then look to the left. You should see a gate welcoming you to the Fulton (street) mall where buses can go. Go to the gate and on the left side look for a solid blue sign. Game Champis right there and its a big store. There should be some arcade machines right in front.

olubode said:
You can also take the 2,3 and 5 train to get to nevin.

Edit: Biff, its right by the train station. Look for the McDonalds on the first floor of the Verizon building when you go top side, and then look to the left. You should see a gate welcoming you to the Fulton (street) mall where buses can go. Go to the gate and on the left side look for a solid blue sign. Game Champis right there and its a big store. There should be some arcade machines right in front.

Thanks for teh detailed info. I was all set to go down there, called em and they told me they were sold out of the X-Box.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Biff Hardbody said:
Thanks for teh detailed info. I was all set to go down there, called em and they told me they were sold out of the X-Box.
mah po' fingers!! ;)

They do have some imports and older stuff too.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
as I posted in operationsports.

CYBER GAMES
929 AMSTERDAM AVE, NEW YORK, NY 10025
Phone: (212) 222-2447

just got it in

101st and Broadway

also

GAME STATION
204 W 96TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10025
Phone: (212) 222-9380

but they just ran out of xbox, Ps2 Only....

Top Bottom