• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show is awesome. I can see some people who liked the Wire not liking this though. It's a different show, but most of what was good about the Wire is present here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Heh, I totally forgot. I'm going to New Orleans for 4 days 2 weeks after Treme starts. Kinda cool for me (although I plan on sticking to the touristy areas).

Anyone else remember that episode where those college kid asked the white guy to show them "the real New Orleans"...and there was just this sense of dread that something bad was going to happen to them the entire time. And the white guy was alerted that they were missing but then they showed up later in the episode and it was such a relief. LOL.

Memles

tokkun said:
I found the show to be extremely condescending. Take, for example, the visiting students from UW-Madison who are portrayed as sheltered religious goobers who are instantly seduced by their first exposure to alcohol and jazz music; an utterly ridiculous premise considering they were supposedly from one of the biggest party schools in the country. The show repeatedly portrayed people from every other part of the country - be it the Midwest, Texas, or New York - as being hopelessly awkward, close-minded, and uptight compared to the cool and soulful people of New Orleans.

I perhaps better understand where you're coming from now that I'm actually AT UW-Madison, but I think the scene still served a clear ideological function. I would never say that the show was condescending, but I would say that there were moments where its subtlety more or less dissipated in favor of broad polemics. Perhaps that renders it condescending, but I always felt that moments like this had a purpose regardless of their incredulity.

And it's funny you should mention Texas, given a key storyline in S2.

Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah! Those idiots! They're so stupid.

Whatever. All spoiler-tagging already aired stuff does is make it easier for people to actually get spoiled because they will just start highlighting everything assuming that they're not real spoilers. I've nearly been spoiled myself that way a few times on gaf.

There is no need to spoiler tag things that have already aired in show's specific thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm listening a podcast and I really didn't know that there are people who dislike Treme. It seems so impossible, but I guess there are people still need traditional plots when it comes to television.

firehawk12 said:
I'm listening a podcast and I really didn't know that there are people who dislike Treme. It seems so impossible, but I guess there are people still need traditional plots when it comes to television.

I can certainly understand it. I like the show, but the early part of season one was damn slow. Plus, whatever David Simon made after The Wire was going to get criticized no matter what it ended up being like.

It's tough to follow the best television show ever made.

Blader

dead souls said:
I can certainly understand it. I like the show, but the early part of season one was damn slow. Plus, whatever David Simon made after The Wire was going to get criticized no matter what it ended up being like.

Generation Kill was pretty damn good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dead souls said:

Well, apparently season 2 is just as "slow" 4-5 episodes in so I figure those critics will still dislike it. :lol

Season premiere tonight!
Accentuate the Positive

Antoine contemplates a move; Davis moves in new directions; Toni worries about Sofia's emotional distance; Colson contends with the return of crime; Annie returns from a tour; Delmond debuts his new album; Janette deals with a demanding boss.

That was great. So nice to have it back.

The Bourdain stuff, though, was almost too relentlessly Bourdain. Something tells me he didn't write the NO Jazz debate. ;D

Hari Seldon

Holy shit that episode was awesome. Lucia Micarelli is so fucking beautiful.

Also, this show deserves every Emmy imaginable. Holy Christ it is a work of art.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sad that on GAF it seems like there's only 5 people watching the show. I really don't understand pairing the show with Game of Thrones though - there's like no crossover audience whatsoever.

Still, such a joy to have the show back. It's just so... rich. Just like New Orleans food, I imagine. :lol

kassatsu

Banned
I love this show. Season 2 is starting off great, I want more of the nyc Janette plot though... does that make me a bad person?

Cohsae

Oh my god with public holidays throwing me out of whack I completely forgot it was Monday! New HBO day! I'd completely been out of the loop with Treme, only realised a few days ago that it was almost back.

Lionheart1337 said:
Definitely sets the tone for what will be an epic season. I want to see what all the
murders
lead to

Hopefully nothing. The last thing this show needs is
red and black markers

Excellent, unsurprisingly.

One thing, I really hope we dont get an irritating love triangle with Sonny trying to whore himself back into Annie's life, that would suck.

firehawk12 said:
Still, such a joy to have the show back. It's just so... rich. Just like New Orleans food, I imagine. :lol

Goddamn this show makes me hungry. I really need to visit New Orleans one day, and be one of those annoying tourists the show is always whinging about.

JGS

Banned
I loved this episode. I paid little attention to it last season. In fact, I watched it by accident think Game of Thrones was coming on.

This feels like a musical in real life. I love how they integrate it into everything and also like the controversy surrounding it in NY of all places.

I'll have to rewatch season one. HBO Go is awesome.

Oni Jazar

I'm a big fan of the first season and I'm on board for this one but I'm a little worried after reading some of the previews and watching the premiere. The pacing is off and some scenes can be flat out boring like Albert just walking around frowning the entire episode. I actually checked the clock a few times to see when it will end. I'm starting to wonder if Treme needed a second season. After this episode I think the show lacks a serious focus. We need something like the search for Daymo to keep their hooks in us.

Oni Jazar said:
I'm a big fan of the first season and I'm on board for this one but I'm a little worried after reading some of the previews and watching the premiere. The pacing is off and some scenes can be flat out boring like Albert just walking around frowning the entire episode. I actually checked the clock a few times to see when it will end. I'm starting to wonder if Treme needed a second season. After this episode I think the show lacks a serious focus. We need something like the search for Daymo to keep their hooks in us.

I think the focus is squarely on the characters. I'm kind of glad there's no artificial thread linking everyone anymore. The show can hopefully grow beyond that and just show their lives. But clearly Toni is going to be involved in Albert's story this season as she's working for Indian permits and stuff like that. Rico-Not-Rico-From-Six-Feet-Under I guess is the only wholly new and unconnected character, although he does have ties to a guy who got a good four minutes of screen time last season. I'm certainly hooked. I was most concerned about Bourdain getting involved, but even though the scenes that are obviously his are GARGANTUANLY AND DISTRACTINGLY obviously his, they're still saying something pretty interesting and important about American Cuisine.

I felt like the show did an excellent job of carrying the threads from the previous season. Annie is touring, Albert can't live in the bar anymore, Toni and Sofia are both disasters, Del is still stuck between two cultures, Janette is stifled in New York.

I have no problem at all with the season so far.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oni Jazar said:
New year, same ol'. You can't judge Treme by the previews or by the first episode. You either trust the creators to deliver a payoff worth the journey or you wait until the season is over then watch it in a go. Or you can ignore it entirely *shrug*

Thanks, BB. Didn't see that one this morning.

Favorite performance last night? There were a lot of good ones, but Antoine playing with Bonerama was my fave.

Cornballer said:

Favorite performance last night? There were a lot of good ones, but Antoine playing with Bonerama was my fave.

Oh my god, Bonerama was AMAZING. Is it real?!? I WANT TO GO.

Blackhead

Redarse
Cornballer said:

you slippin'. I blame GoT. :p I would still be waiting for you to link the NOLA's 'Treme Explained' article if I didn't hop over to the website the minute I saw this post.

My fave performance is always Annie's. Something about the 'fiddle' just does it for me.

Great to have this program back, forgot so much that happened at the end of last series, took a while to remember every characters situation

Im sure that was James Ransone from The Wire / Generation Kill, in Kim Dickens flat with all the tattoos, but IMDB is not listing it on his page. Anyone else think it was him?

grounded_dreams said:
Im sure that was James Ransone from The Wire / Generation Kill, in Kim Dickens flat with all the tattoos, but IMDB is not listing it on his page. Anyone else think it was him?
Yup, that's him.

Al-ibn Kermit

Sad that on GAF it seems like there's only 5 people watching the show. I really don't understand pairing the show with Game of Thrones though - there's like no crossover audience whatsoever.

Well tey're both great shows so they kind of get the Sunday slot by default. Other than me and probably a few other people on this forum, I doubt many Gaffers are actively watching both shows but I'm sure they both have strong audiences.

JGS said:
I loved this episode. I paid little attention to it last season. In fact, I watched it by accident think Game of Thrones was coming on.

This feels like a musical in real life. I love how they integrate it into everything and also like the controversy surrounding it in NY of all places.

I'll have to rewatch season one. HBO Go is awesome.

It's a pretty beautiful show at explaining how much city life and people's hopes/dreams is changed after a disaster, while mostly avoiding the temptation to preach a serious political message.

But yeah, definitely watch the first season before going into the current one. The first episode was a little slower paced because it has to introduce all the characters but it really picks up after that.

ronito

so watching my first episode. This seems to me to be hugely pretentious/as autofellating as the musicians they portray. I must be missing something.

ronito said:
so watching my first episode. This seems to me to be hugely pretentious/as autofellating as the musicians they portray. I must be missing something.
keep watching, big fella.

and yes, Treme culture *is* pretentious and autofellating. get used to it; it's the most authentic part of the show.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Al-ibn Kermit said:
Well tey're both great shows so they kind of get the Sunday slot by default. Other than me and probably a few other people on this forum, I doubt many Gaffers are actively watching both shows but I'm sure they both have strong audiences.
I'm watching and loving both. I guess I just like good TV, or something.

Clevinger

Dreams-Visions said:
keep watching, big fella.

and yes, Treme culture *is* pretentious and autofellating. get used to it; it's the most authentic part of the show.

I think it's autofellating, but what's pretentious about it exactly?

Clevinger said:
I think it's autofellating, but what's pretentious about it exactly?
Pretentious:

2. characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

Everything about the Treme is pretentious. :)

Point is, that's just the nature of the culture being explored and put on center stage. Viewers either (a) already appreciate it, (b) learn to appreciate it, or (c) never get it or warm to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom