• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
dead souls said:
Not a shock at all. That number is pretty close to what Treme was getting in the latter part of the first season, so I wasn't expecting anything much better.
that makes sense. I don't know if that'll keep HBO happy, but I'd assume that audience represents the regulars that will watch weekly. I assume they can't be spending too much on the show, so hopefully that level of viewership is okay.

Dreams-Visions said:
that makes sense. I don't know if that'll keep HBO happy, but I'd assume that audience represents the regulars that will watch weekly. I assume they can't be spending too much on the show, so hopefully that level of viewership is okay.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a season 3 renewal. It's definitely a prestige production, just like The Wire was. HBO knew a David Simon series was unlikely to bring in tremendous ratings.

Great premiere. It sucks that this show is so overlooked, because the characters are wonderful. It’s probably my favourite ensemble in any currently airing show.

I wasn't sure if they would go in the direction of an Annie/Davis coupling and kind of had reservations about the thought of it, but I’m glad they went there. The contrast in her supportive relationship with him to that of Sonny almost makes that whole subplot last season worthwhile. Annie's beaming reaction to him cleaning up for her was so cute.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
dead souls said:
Not a shock at all. That number is pretty close to what Treme was getting at times during the first season, so I wasn't expecting anything much better.

The last few weeks of the season will get a bump once it's airing after True Blood.
If the fantasy nerds won't stick around, why would the vampire nerds?

Sigh. I bought the BDs though, so I did my part.

firehawk12 said:
If the fantasy nerds won't stick around, why would the vampire nerds?

Sigh. I bought the BDs though, so I did my part.

The ratings bumped up last year after The Pacific ended and True Blood came back, so I don't see why it won't happen again. It can only help to have the show air after a more popular show, and however bad True Blood is it's the highest rated show that HBO currently produces.

FStop7

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
Also, the show needs as much Lucia Micarelli as possible.

lucia-micarelli-violin-treme-041610-lg.jpg

oh wow, she's in Treme? I saw her play a concert alongside Jethro Tull a few years ago and it was really cool.

Also, is this show some kind of feelgood soul-cleansing for David Simon after he immersed himself in the grit and hopelessness of the Wire and the large scale violence and hopelessness of Generation Kill?

FStop7 said:
oh wow, she's in Treme? I saw her play a concert alongside Jethro Tull a few years ago and it was really cool.

Also, is this show some kind of feelgood soul-cleansing for David Simon after he immersed himself in the grit and hopelessness of the Wire and the large scale violence and hopelessness of Generation Kill?

Hell no

Cornballer, thanks for all the links in this thread. Please keep them going on throughout the season.

I'm currently watching a shitload of tv shows, old and new, and Treme is the only one which makes me watch it, read about it, and then want to watch it again. It's just so different to everything else, the setting is just so rich, and characters so talented/interesting/three-dimensional, and the show feels insanely authentic.

If you approach it as a series of vignettes, held together by overarching themes, set in a certain time and place, it really draws you in.

Anyone remember HBO's Tell Me You Love Me? That was done in a similar style, but instead of a focus on Treme it was about relationships. Pretty good show, but this works better just because Treme is such a rich source of material.

the premier just reminded me how much i hate steve zahn

i dont buy for a second someone as young and hot as annie is hooking up with this dork

davis-steve-zahn-treme2.jpg

fuck this face

otherwise it was same old.. decently entertaining but way too in love with its authenticity for me to really be attached to any of the characters

the music isnt really my thing either

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Your Excellency said:
Anyone remember HBO's Tell Me You Love Me? That was done in a similar style, but instead of a focus on Treme it was about relationships. Pretty good show, but this works better just because Treme is such a rich source of material.
I enjoyed most of that show (minus some of the younger couple stuff and the therapist's personal life), but I think we were in the minority.

Al-ibn Kermit

brianjones said:

i dont buy for a second someone as young and hot as annie is hooking up with this dork

Not hard to believe. Steve Zahn's character is pretty laid back and cool, totally the opposite of Sonny's demeanor. Also in Bandidas, Steve Zahn gets seduced by both Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz who compete with each other by straddling him and kissing him to determine who is the better kisser.

This is a more realistic story than that one.

TTG

I watched the premier because my DVR is apparently still set on recording this. I've been watching because I love The Wire so much, but at some point that feeling runs out. The lack of crime/police stuff just rips out so much that was great about The Wire. There's not enough left to keep me interested. Not to mention the sense of humor seems to be lacking, everything is so serious yet there isn't much really going on.

Dreams-Visions said:
Pretentious:

2. characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
3. making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

Everything about the Treme is pretentious. :)

Point is, that's just the nature of the culture being explored and put on center stage. Viewers either (a) already appreciate it, (b) learn to appreciate it, or (c) never get it or warm to it.

If we use book definitions then damn near everything in the world is pretentious.

brianjones said:

davis-steve-zahn-treme2.jpg

fuck this face

otherwise it was same old.. decently entertaining but way too in love with its authenticity for me to really be attached to any of the characters

the music isnt really my thing either

Her ex was a douche. I'd prefer to see her with Zahn.

Also, I think Sonny's headed towards music education, which is the most absolutely perfect arc for him I can't believe I didn't see it coming.

Good episode again. What's going on with Freemon? He was acting really strange all episode. Lovin' his new do, though. Glad to see
Sonny get robbed
, the fucking douchebag. Annie and Davis are so cute together.

Annie
icon_wub.gif

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I've tried to watch this show twice now. What is it that doesn't work? I just don't care about any of the characters. They keep talking about the city but they don't show it. I've never been there so it doesn't register, I guess.

Something is wrong with this show.

otake said:
I've tried to watch this show twice now. What is it that doesn't work? I just don't care about any of the characters. They keep talking about the city but they don't show it. I've never been there so it doesn't register, I guess.

Something is wrong with this show.
You.

Solid episode last night, really interested to see what they do with Chief Lambreaux's malaise. Could be an interesting counter-point to Creighton. Davis at the bounce show with his Aunt was GOLD.

Davis must die, he's continuing the music snobbery theme that this show has had from time to time. Annie moves from one annoying cock to another.

Loved the other plotlines though. Great to see Bunk/Batiste moving on up. He was down in the dumps last season but it looks like he's pretty comfortable right now.

Oni Jazar

This last episode flowed better then the pilot IMO. Plot lines are starting to emerge. With the school system and the police station it had a lot of The Wire. How long will it take before Janette returns to 'nawlins? When is Toni going to start talking to her daughter? Annie and Davis are cute but you know it's not television without drama. Finally, I want some of that deep fried turkey!

New episode tonight.
On Your Way Down

LaDonna confronts the return of crime; Sofia's father rants on the Internet; Toni takes the Abreu case; Janette and Albert apply for Road Home money; Sonny is nearly arrested.

BFA

Yay, can't wait for tonight! Honestly, the lack of (many) episode discussions is depressing - where is everyone?!

Haven't even finished it yet. So fucking disappointed. This is some classroom fight, face slashing, fourth season of The Wire shit mixing it up in my Treme.

Sliver

Great episode. Season 2 is definitely not suffering from the loss of
Creighton
, which I really thought it would. Ladonna and Batiste are currently my favorite segments.

I'm really getting interested in Sonny's and Del's stories (lol@Myspace). The Albert
Lester Freamon
being tired things seems weird and I hope they deal with it next week. Obviously, the biggest part of the episode was LaDonna and it was rough. I wonder how Antoine will deal with it.

I thought the aftermath was extremely well done, like "wow, we don't see this on TV ever" well done. Awful, though, just awful. Had to be her, right? No reason to stay now...

metsallica said:
I thought the aftermath was extremely well done, like "wow, we don't see this on TV ever" well done.

You used to see that kinda thing on E.R. fairly often.

Good episode as ever. It wasn't as powerful as the Sopranos episode 'Employee of the Month', which was just intense and incredibly well written. Much of that is due to the format of the show, which is very different to the Sopranos/Six Feet Under, and I think those comparisons can help you see the limits of this show. Sopranos/SFU used to deal with multiple unrelated storylines/characters in a similar way, but with those there was always a central focus to the storyline, whilst this show has no central stars/no main storyline. So I don't think a single episode of this show will ever stand out as being especially 'amazing' above all others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom