• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Got caught up on last night. Holy shit.

I saw Wanda Rouzan at Jazzfest! I immediately noticed her in her scenes, and just a few days ago I was 100 feet away from her. Jazzfest was at The Fairgrounds and I was in the horse racing building to cool down away from the sun/heat in the air conditioning.

Awesome that they are getting local talent involved.

Visiting New Orleans made the show that much more real for me.

HBO has decided to pick up David Simon and Eric Overmyer’s acclaimed drama series Treme for a third season, sources say.

The pickup comes as a bit of a surprise — the show has averaged only about 1 million viewers during its premiere runs on Sunday night (freshman fantasy series Game of Thrones is doing about 2.4 million).

But HBO is all about having high-quality exclusive content, and Treme is very much on brand for the network.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/13/hbo-renews-treme-for-third-season/

Al-ibn Kermit

The last episode was great but I hope they give some more details tomorrow. Specifically about
whether she took the last "Plan B" pill which I'm guessing is like an early abortion type of pill hence why the doctor said it's up to her whether she wants it or not. If she finds out she's pregnant, it might be from her husband or from the rapists so she'll be dealing with that for the rest of the season.

It's seems that she just feels a lot of shame about what happened so regardless of what she chose, there's going to be a lot of tension with her husband and with whether or not to keep the bar open in New Orleans. It was pretty hard to watch that episode since LaDonna is a really strong, likable character but she seems to get the most hurt out of any character in the show with losing her brother and with what happened in the last episode.

On the bright side, it looks like Sonny was mostly genuine about saving people on rooftops during the storm so I'd like to see him turn his life around join up with Baptiste's band. I think he'll let Annie go and become less aggressive during this season (hopefully).

Don

Does anyone know when season 2 is supposed to start in the UK? I was hoping that it would be showing on Sky Atlantic around the same time as in the US.

Good to hear about the renewal.

New episode tonight.
Santa Claus, Do You Ever Get the Blues?

Aunt Mimi and Davis form a record company; Janette makes a dramatic departure from Restaurant Brulard; Antoine gets a teaching job.

Miroku

Great episode tonight. I was thinking for a minute they might have Batiste follow the Prezbo character arc from The Wire, that would be sort of funny.

I think this was my favorite episode of Treme ever. Emotions everywhere. That transition from Baptiste's first gig to LaDonna sitting on that couch was like woah.

3rd season confirmation, and another GREAT episode. Good week to be a Treme fan.

This series has to have one of the best displays I've ever seen of actors capturing REAL emotions, reactions, and never slipping up to the point that you think to yourself that you're still watching a piece of entertainment. Everyone pulls off every role in this show.

CrankyJay

Banned
Holy shit season 3? Fucking awesome.

The sazerac scene was awesome. Had one of those when I was down there last week.

This series has to have one of the best displays I've ever seen of actors capturing REAL emotions, reactions, and never slipping up to the point that you think to yourself that you're still watching a piece of entertainment. Everyone pulls off every role in this show.

It feels real as shit. It's incredible.

Holy shit #2!

(*) Credit Richman for being a good enough sport to play himself on the show - particularly given his long, ugly feud with Anthony Bourdain - though of course the scene actually is quite flattering to Richman, who can not only instantly identify the drink thrown at him, but is composed enough to crack an incredulous joke about it ("Nobody throws a Sazerac!"), rather than getting upset.

Holy shit #3! ANTHONY FUCKING BOURDAIN wrote that scene! Awesome!

A few months ago I heard from the people who produce "Treme," a semi-fictional, semi-historical HBO series about life in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina. They asked me to be on it, to appear as myself. Here was the first catch: New Orleans would be getting revenge on me. Here's the second catch: Bourdain would be writing the scene where New Orleans gets revenge on me.

At first, I wasn't going to do it. I didn't mind the revenge part. I minded the Bourdain part. But then I saw the script he wrote, and I was impressed. It was fair, and it was fun, so I went down to New Orleans to tape it. The episode with me was shown for the first time this past Sunday night, so now I can tell you what happened: A New Orleans chef sees me in a restaurant and tosses a Sazerac in my face. That's a whiskey cocktail and a good choice of weaponry, since it symbolizes the city.

Read More http://www.gq.com/food-travel/alan-richman/201105/alan-richman-anthony-bourdain-treme#ixzz1MYYTfNnh

Antoine delivering the Christmas present to his wife was hilarious. Mmmmmhmmmmm.
Full Metal Jacket said:
I love the musical parts of the show
Me too. The Japanese guy was shredding on the guitar last night, and I would like all future Christmases to involve Annie playing Mendelssohn to me on the violin.

Brilliant episode.

I would love to see a spin-off with Annie called The Violinist, where she spends the whole episode playing violin and being so effortlessly cool.

I keep telling my girlfriend to start playing the violin again, she's starting to wonder why now...

New episode tonight:
Slip Away

Lt. Colson questions the quality of police investigations; Janette lands at Le Bernardin; Annie attempts composing; Davis discovers new talent; Sofia gets an internship.

CrankyJay

Banned
Another great episode. I love Kim Dickson's character more and more every week.

It's like swooping down into real life. It's insane. This show needs way more GAF love.

Aunt Mimi is my hero, but the weight on seemingly every character's shoulders is making this a tough watch week to week. Hoping for some happiness...

master15

May be a silly question but the beginning of the episode, who was the
character that died? And what was his relation to Goodman's daughter?

master15 said:
May be a silly question but the beginning of the episode, who was the
character that died? And what was his relation to Goodman's daughter?
He was a local musician that was shot. There was also a teacher that committed suicide, and that was tied into Sofia because the circumstances of his death led her to realize that her father killed himself.

master15

Must have been a long night, for some strange reason I thought it was odd there was an assembly called for the shot musician totally forgetting about the teacher's death mentioned in previous episode.

Thanks

The characters in this show are pretty interesting, it's too bad there are so many aspects of it that are fake as a Rolox. I don't buy all these types of people in these numbers being so intensely into this kind of music. Anything that revolves around music in this show just screams "some out-of-touch older white man came up with this shit."

CrankyJay

Banned
polyh3dron said:
The characters in this show are pretty interesting, it's too bad there are so many aspects of it that are fake as a Rolox. I don't buy all these types of people in these numbers being so intensely into this kind of music. Anything that revolves around music in this show just screams "some out-of-touch older white man came up with this shit."

Everything revolves around music in New Orleans. Have you ever visited?

polyh3dron said:
I'm guessing the scenes involving music are the ones that are actually the most realistic, considering how many real musicians are part of the show.

I really like the style of the show... but ... I just haven't been able to get into it. What's the verdict so far on Season 1 and Season 2? Good, boring, okay? I love(d) the Wire, and so I really have an affinity for the characters and writers, I also like New Orelans culture and music, but... I just can't get into it really.

The credits song was Lil Rascals' Brass Band, "Knock With Me - Rock With Me" and yes, it's the best song ever of all time. Glen David Andrews is the bandleader and also the guy at the rally all "I hate Houston! I love New Orleans!" as LaDonna was watching (and holy shit I hope that starts turning her around).

Buy it off Amazonk like I did and never stop listening to it.

One thing I don't get is why the characters so frequently cross each other's paths or meet, etc. Simon & Co. have largely avoided most tropes in their shows, so I assume it's a stylistic choice and it is supposed to represent something, but I'm not sure what. How connected a small community is? I doubt it -- his shows usually assume we're smarter than that.

New episode tonight:
Feels Like Rain

Hidalgo does a favor for a councilman; Antoine appoints a straw boss; Janette discovers that Jacques is in trouble; Sofia has a realization; John Hiatt and Henry Butler perform.

- MZS at Salon.com: Musicians and cooks talk shop on "Treme"

prodystopian said:
What have the ratings been like? I really enjoy this show, and I'm glad they have a third season.
They've been pretty low. Here's the commentary from when it was renewed:
EW.com said:
HBO has decided to pick up David Simon and Eric Overmyer’s acclaimed drama series Treme for a third season, sources say.

The pickup comes as a bit of a surprise — the show has averaged only about 1 million viewers during its premiere runs on Sunday night (freshman fantasy series Game of Thrones is doing about 2.4 million).

But HBO is all about having high-quality exclusive content, and Treme is very much on brand for the network.

- Poniewozik checks in on Treme and talks about this season so far
There had been talk that with the second season, as crime returned to New Orleans, there would be more naturally compelling drama to speed Treme's plot along. LaDonna's brutalizing is an obvious example, and David Morse has done excellent, restrained work putting a human face on the NOPD (as well as keeping Toni tied into the story after her first case and Creighton's suicide). But if anything, the second season of Treme has been more about the little things and the internal struggles of adjustment and creation—and, surprisingly, its strongest drama has been driven by art, not by gunshots.

That hasn't helped Treme's ratings this season (though HBO has already picked up a third), and it's clear that this is never going to be the kind of drama that delivers the kind of action that brings bigger audiences. Even as a fan myself, I don't always feel compelled to catch it live. But when I catch up on it, I find it has a hypnotic, absorbing effect like little else on TV.

The most important thing Treme does is, like its characters, try to find a way to express the ineffable. I could probably never make a compelling case to a new viewer to watch the show by describing what literally happened last week. What does happen, nonetheless, is a little bit of art and a little bit of magic.
More via the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom