• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

cajunator said:
I'm pretty interested in this show. Every time I go to Best Buy I pick up the box and consider it but I am not sure if I'd like it or not.
On one hand I live in Louisiana and could probably appreciate a lot of the shows details.
On the other hand, Im not actually from NOLA and I don't really follow much TV series.
I do love the music though and the style that's presented.

Then get it, man. I'm not sure if it's possible for someone to love those and then hate the show.

The finale was amazing. So grateful we get another season of this show. <3 HBO.

Jaques and Jannette were so adorable together and i loved the short scene where Davis and Annie bump into them at the festival.

Annie saying she was "scared of her dreams"... :(

Coming off how awful Colicchio and Ripert were, David Chang really surprised me. His acting came off quite natural - well, at least in comparison to the other people playing themselves. This show is such an odd beast in that it has so much fantastic and amateurish acting throughout.

Clevinger said:
The only bummer is how it won't win any, or many, awards. But whatever - who gives a shit. That only shows how much those are worth.
I can see Melissa Leo getting a nomination purely off her Oscar win this year. Not that she doesn't deserve one anyway.

Discotheque said:
Bernette seriously just used and cut loose Colson here. That really put her quite a few notches down in my book.
I can see where both of them are coming from. Colson didn't really give her much room to react any other way. For all she knows, he is helping with the cover-up.

What if they reverse the Annie/Sonny roles and she becomes a drug addict due to her depression and he's the clean and happy one?

It's a David Simon show so it could go either way really.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't think this was linked to earlier:

CATASTROPHE, SURVIVAL, MUSIC AND RENEWAL: NEW ORLEANS CULTURE POST-KATRINA
In conversation with Josh Kun, Associate Professor, USC Annenberg School of Communications
An Evening with Eric Overmyer, Co-Creator of HBO’s Treme (also in attendance was Khandi Alexander)
Get the podcast of the event

Discotheque said:
Bernette seriously just used and cut loose Colson here. That really put her quite a few notches down in my book.
Nah, he fucked her over. He lied to her that he didn't find anything, then he took the evidence that she found even though she told him it would get 'missing' in that department—which it promptly did. He could have just been honest with her and said that he couldn't help her, not that there wasn't anything there.

Greyface said:
Nah, he fucked her over. He lied to her that he didn't find anything, then he took the evidence that she found even though she told him it would get 'missing' in that department—which it promptly did. He could have just been honest with her and said that he couldn't help her, not that there wasn't anything there.
I took it as him trying to protect her to some extent. He knew that if he let her in on how he was investigating the shootings (fake casings, going to the feds, etc...) that she would run with it, as well, and it puts her into even more precarious territory. The police don't like her already, but this would be on another level. Not sure if I'm reading that correctly. I saw it more as a noble thing than a cowardly one - he's took the fall when it didn't work out rather than dragging her down with him. Then again, maybe he's just miffed that she rebuffed his advances earlier, and he just wanted to do things his way without her interference and potential risks to his career that come with it.

Cornballer said:
I took it as him trying to protect her to some extent. He knew that if he let her in on how he was investigating the shootings (fake casings, going to the feds, etc...) that she would run with it, as well, and it puts her into even more precarious territory. The police don't like her already, but this would be on another level. Not sure if I'm reading that correctly. I saw it more as a noble thing than a cowardly one - he's took the fall when it didn't work out rather than dragging her down with him. Then again, maybe he's just miffed that she rebuffed his advances earlier, and he just wanted to do things his way without her interference and potential risks to his career that come with it.

I think he knew that nothing good would of came from that case but instead got proof to show to the Feds that the NOPD is corrupt.

Blackhead

Redarse
Cornballer said:
Full Metal Jacket said:
I think he knew that nothing good would of came from that case but instead got proof to show to the Feds that the NOPD is corrupt.
... that's patronizing. It's not his call to make. She already knew the risks (police shootings and witness intimidation might just be a foreshadowing, you know). If anything, he tipped off the police department about the progress of her investigation.

I don't think he was miffed about about her rebuffing his advances. It wasn't really a rejection anyway, she just wasn't ready.

I just finished season 2 and yeah loved this season. LaDonna's storyline was emotionally crushing (loved her rant against the District Attorney in the finale), and whenever I saw James Yoshimura's name pop up during the credits as that episode's writer, I knew to expect something painful. The only storyline that didn't engage with me was Nelson's (Jon Seda), mostly because the other stories had great arcs to them. I also liked that brief Vietnamese shrimping action near the end of the season. I hope they explore more of that in Season 3, its rare to see Vietnamese getting representation on television (or media in general outside of the Vietnam War).

That season 2 finale was extremely emotional. I shed a tear when the
school band started performing on the street.

Easily some of the strongest bunch of characters in a TV show of recent memory.

CrankyJay

Banned
MisterNugNug said:
I just finished season 2 and yeah loved this season. LaDonna's storyline was emotionally crushing (loved her rant against the District Attorney in the finale), and whenever I saw James Yoshimura's name pop up during the credits as that episode's writer, I knew to expect something painful. The only storyline that didn't engage with me was Nelson's (Jon Seda), mostly because the other stories had great arcs to them. I also liked that brief Vietnamese shrimping action near the end of the season. I hope they explore more of that in Season 3, its rare to see Vietnamese getting representation on television (or media in general outside of the Vietnam War).

The smirk on her husband's face throughout that entire scene and afterwards was fucking priceless. And when he
announced they were keeping the bar AND moving the family back to New Orleans I was like "FUCK YEAH!"

CrankyJay

Banned
Was I the only one disappointed/hesitant of Jacques and Janette getting together? It seems like he is into the relationship way more than her, and selfishly I was hoping her and Delmond would get together.

That "you don't sleep with your sous chef" thing is going to blow up in their faces at some point.

CrankyJay

Banned
cajunator said:
I'm pretty interested in this show. Every time I go to Best Buy I pick up the box and consider it but I am not sure if I'd like it or not.
On one hand I live in Louisiana and could probably appreciate a lot of the shows details.
On the other hand, Im not actually from NOLA and I don't really follow much TV series.
I do love the music though and the style that's presented.

Glad you picked it up. I watched season 1 and liked it. Then I went to New Orleans for 4 days this spring (for JazzFest) and fell in love with the city. Then I saw season 2...holy fuck...it made the show so much more personal for me because I went to a lot of the places they showed this season and I saw several of the musicians in the show live (saw Wanda Rouzan at Jazz Fest in the jazz tent).

I really want to try to take a trip back down there ASAP.

pje122 said:
You know... that guy...
Never seen the show so I can't go into details...
Oh, just saw the story.

- Treme actor found dead in the Mississippi River
Onion A|V Club said:
A body recently discovered in the Mississippi River has been identified as that of Michael Showers, an actor who had roles on shows like Treme and Breaking Bad. A steamboat captain came upon Showers floating not far from New Orleans’ French Quarter, with local police estimating that he’d been there for at least two days. An autopsy is still being completed. Showers was 45.

Showers is probably best known for playing Treme’s police Capt. John Guidry, who frequently butts heads with David Morse’s Lt. Colson. He also had a small part on Breaking Bad as the union rep who acts as counsel to Hank following his assault on Jesse. His other TV credits include The Vampire Diaries, while he also appeared in films like I Love You Phillip Morris, Traffic, The Tree Of Life, and most recently, Colombiana. He was due to resume filming the third season of Treme this fall.

76LzE.jpg

Showers, left, with co-star David Morse.

pje122

Hahaha! You guys are killing me. Just google it you ree-rees.
Edit: Ohhh! Just beat my post. Good show, good show.

- Shooting S3 has begun and Dave Walker has lots of news over at The Times-Picayune *spoilers*

Highlights include:

Sam Robards and Chris Coy joining the cast
uCFvx.jpg

vUdRm.jpg

Also, it looks like David Simon & Co are going to try and do four seasons total of Treme:
Simon also confirmed that he, co-creator Eric Overmyer and Pelecanos have plotted stories to take the show’s characters through four seasons. Simon added that he’s delivered that decision to HBO via memo, and intends to speak with network executives about the decision in person as soon as possible.

Local viewers have been imagining a five-season arc for the series, the timeline for which would takes its characters through the New Orleans Saints Super Bowl victory, Mitch Landrieu’s mayoral election and the BP oil disaster.

Simon had said early in the series’ life that he pictured a four- or five-season run. In an interview after season two, he said he and his writers would spend part of their summer doing the finale math.

"What we have to figure out is, is three-and-out right?" he said then. "Is four-and-out right? What should we plan for? How would this work? What is the best storytelling? And then we'll take that to HBO. Ideally, they'll make a decision on the merits, and we'll talk to them about that.”

The answer they came up with, Simon confirmed Monday, is four. (Pelecanos quietly revealed that conclusion at a September appearance at Octavia Books.)

Of course, that wish is entirely HBO’s to grant. Given the show’s modest ratings, renewal for the upcoming third season was a surprise to many TV-industry observers.

Then again, HBO plays a different game than most other entities in the TV industry. In a summertime interview, Richard Plepler, the network’s co-president, essentially said “Treme’s” lifespan would be up to Simon and his team.

"Here's what we have said to David," Plepler said then. "We want David to finish his novel. He's writing a novel (with 'Treme'). We, as beneficiaries of his art, want him to finish the completion of his artistic expression.

"When he tells us he's finished with his artistic expression of this, that's when we're done, and then we'll turn to him and say, 'What's next?'"
Much more info via the link.

- Sepinwall with a some clarification on the earlier David Simon quotes regarding how many seasons there will be
Since Walker's piece was published earlier this week, the details have gotten mangled in certain places in that usual game-of-Telephone way that the Internet operates, so I emailed Simon for some clarification.

"It seems to be out there that i said we would be doing four seasons," Simon wrote back. "I didn't say that exactly. I told Dave Walker that the writer-producers met twice over the hiatus for a week at a time and plotted all the storylines and determined that two more seasons was the optimum for the vast majority of characters, for the theme, and practical for the history of post-Katrina New Orleans. That we would have a hard time finishing in three, or, unless some other avenues for storytelling revealed themselves organically, extending the drama to five seasons."

At the same time, he recognizes that it's entirely up to HBO bosses Michael Lombardo and Richard Plepler to decide whether they want a fourth season, and that "HBO has made no decision and I don't expect a decision until we meet with them -- at the earliest."

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah, I read that as they have plotted out for 4 seasons but that it could go longer if things were going well. Anyway, great news. I love this show.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I can see HBO giving them the go for the 4th, which will work out great it seems.

I'm so excited for S3, and for 2 to hit blu-ray eventually.

- HBO delays 'Treme' premiere until fall
Sepinwall said:
Dave Walker at the New Orleans Times-Picayune is the man I trust on all things "Treme," and he has a significant piece of news today: HBO has delayed the "Treme" season 3 premiere date until sometime in the fall.

The first two "Treme" seasons aired in the spring, and the show was absent from HBO's list of spring premiere dates from press tour. Given that "True Blood" owns the summer for HBO, "Treme" was either going to have to air on a different night (which has not been a boon to other HBO shows like the canceled "Bored to Death") or be delayed.

Presumably, "Boardwalk Empire" season 3 will also be on in the fall, and HBO still has to schedule Aaron Sorkin's drama about cable TV news, so "Treme" could wind up airing on a different night, after all. We'll see. David Simon has told me and Dave that ideally the show would run four seasons, but that'll be up to HBO to decide. The ratings for the first two seasons weren't particularly strong, and at the moment it's a show that exists because HBO likes it and wants to be in business with Simon. Hopefully, whenever it airs in the fall, they'll still feel that way about it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
HBO better not lose their courage on this...

At least I can still look forward to rewatching season two on Blu.

Can't they just air it on Mondays in the summer? I loved that feeling of coming home from a drunk ass night and just watching a dvr'ed episode :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't really see a problem with this. HBO has other shows they wanted to debut in the spring, that's fine. Their comedies haven't done very well in the fall, so it's probably wise to try their new ones in the spring instead. Then they can do True Blood and The Newsroom in the summer*. Treme is a better fit with Boardwalk Empire than True Blood.

*The Newsroom is targeted for the summer, right?

Can't they just air it on Mondays in the summer? I loved that feeling of coming home from a drunk ass night and just watching a dvr'ed episode :(

Mondays don't do very well for HBO. Ratings aren't the be-all-end-all, but Sundays are still the night to get traction with your show.

Ricky_R

I don't care how far it gets pushed. Just don't can it.

I think 4 seasons would be enough, but five would be ideal. I also want Simon to work on something new. His take on life, relations and culture, or pretty much everything, is fascinating.

I hope his next show is more in the line to The Wire though. I need something like it again.

I've been following the TV game for too long to ever really trust a network to keep their word on doing X amount of seasons and/or not cancelling things abruptly before they're finished. :s

I would go to the end of the world for HBO, but it's evident that they always end up doing whatever the hell they want when it comes to canceling shows. Trusting series longevity on HBO is setting yourself for disappointment.

If this is made at all like The Wire, which it probably is, then it should probably survive because of how cheap it is to make. That's the reason The Wire lasted 5 series, as far as I remember.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
HBO has really been pissing me off lately. The last season of True Blood sucked, cancelling the best show on TV (Bored to Death), delaying Treme. :(

- More from Dave Walker at The Times-Picayune
Reached Thursday, “Treme” co-creator David Simon said he was fine with the news.

“It just doesn’t matter,” he said. “I don’t pull an audience no matter when they put me on.”

The scheduling decision likely reflects two realities for the network.

One, the premium cable channel’s programming pipeline is stuffed. The new drama “Luck” is currently airing, then come “Thrones” and the newcomers “Girls” and “Veep.” “True Blood’s” past three seasons launched in June. “The Newsroom,” a new drama set in the world of cable-TV news from “The West Wing” creator Aaron Sorkin, may start in summer. Also coming but unscheduled so far are “Life’s Too Short,” a new series from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant debuting Deb. 19, and the return of “Enlightened.”

Two is the competitive challenge presented by NBC’s “Sunday Night Football,” an audience-eater in the fall. Scheduling “Treme” against NFL football would seem to be near-sacrificial, but the small-but-loyal “Treme” audience has proven nimble in finding the episodes via time-shifting -- watching plays later in the week, on DVR, on-demand, or the ultimate time-shift, on DVD.

It’s the last audience sector in that sequence that the slow-burning “Treme,” like Simon’s “The Wire” before it, is actually built for. So it makes some tactical sense for HBO to schedule it against the football bulldozer.

“It doesn’t matter when they put us on,” Simon said. “I just want to have it be there for re-watch, for download and for DVDs. That’s where people found ‘The Wire.’ Nobody watched ‘The Wire’ when it was on the air. Nobody watched it on Sunday nights. People come to it when they come to it.

“So far as what HBO does, as long as I get a shot to finish this, that’s all I really care about.”

As shooting on season three started in late October, Simon said he’d informed HBO that he and his writers had planned story lines for their characters to take them through four seasons.

HBO hasn’t announced a fourth-season renewal, and the shift to a possible fall air window for season three complicates that process. “Treme” has begun production on each of its three seasons at the end of hurricane season, with writers-room sessions starting in summer. HBO made renewal announcements for seasons two and three as seasons one and two were airing. Waiting to make a renewal decision until season-three episodes are on the air could push the start of production for a potential fourth-and-final season to a later time frame.

“It is very tight at HBO,” Simon said. “They’re bringing on a bunch of new shows. They’ve got to do what they’ve got to do. It doesn’t matter to me as long as I can finish it.”

Simon added that he’s not concerned about the long gap between season two’s conclusion and the start of season three. With a fall return, more than a year will have passed between seasons.

“The Wire” bounced around the network’s schedule during its five-season run --- airing in summer, fall and winter – and disappeared for a gap of 20 months between the end of season three and the beginning of season four. Through its ongoing DVD afterlife, it's now considered one of the finest TV series ever made.

“Nobody found ‘The Wire’ on Sunday nights,” Simon said. “Most didn’t find it until we were two years off the air.”

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gack, just came into this thread to see the news of the delay. It was always a bad pairing for the genre shows, so that makes sense, but I just hope this doesn't mean a crazy wait between season 3 and 4 because of weird production issues.

Edit - also totally forgot that K-Ville existed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom