• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treme - the creators of The Wire look at life in New Orleans - S2 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

It's weird how the show focuses so much on crime this season. Last season was more about the music/food culture and people trying to get back on their feet economically but now with this season, there's been three episodes that I can remember (including the premiere) where somebody has gotten raped or shot. I'm not sure where they're going with it since they only have two more episodes this season but I have faith in the writers.

But what I really don't understand is why Janette Desautel is still a major character on this show. After she moved to New York, they should have essentially ended her arc and maybe given her a couple lines with Davis on the Mardi Gras episode. I mean in this episode you had Ladonna dealing with her husband and her bar and her half-botched rape case but then it jumps to New York and Desautel is orgasming over a guy mixing caviar with eggs. How does that work? There is nothing consistent about that.

CrankyJay

Banned
Al-ibn Kermit said:
It's weird how the show focuses so much on crime this season. Last season was more about the music/food culture and people trying to get back on their feet economically but now with this season, there's been three episodes that I can remember (including the premiere) where somebody has gotten raped or shot. I'm not sure where they're going with it since they only have two more episodes this season but I have faith in the writers.

But what I really don't understand is why Janette Desautel is still a major character on this show. After she moved to New York, they should have essentially ended her arc and maybe given her a couple lines with Davis on the Mardi Gras episode. I mean in this episode you had Ladonna dealing with her husband and her bar and her half-botched rape case but then it jumps to New York and Desautel is orgasming over a guy mixing caviar with eggs. How does that work? There is nothing consistent about that.

Shit, there's more? I thought that was the finale because I didn't see previews for next week.

Blackhead

Redarse
Al-ibn Kermit said:

Lots of New Orleans culture workers weren't able to return to the city after Katrina. We're getting a look at the diaspora. By the way, Ladonna too has moved out of New Orleans; one running theme of her storyline is the struggle of commuting to the city from Baton Rouge. 'Consistent' isn't the word I'd use for it but there's a connection.

At first glance, it seems like the show is just about random people. But a closer look reveals that the particular cast of characters manages to touch all layers of the culture industry in New Orleans. The music is prominent but the food (Janette the chef and Ladonna the bar tender) are also important.

I think there's only one more episode (then marathoning the season the following Saturday, who's with me?)

CrankyJay

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
Lots of New Orleans culture workers weren't able to return to the city after Katrina. We're getting a look at the diaspora. By the way, Ladonna too has moved out of New Orleans; one running theme of her storyline is the struggle of commuting to the city from Baton Rouge. 'Consistent' isn't the word I'd use for it but there's a connection.

At first glance, it seems like the show is just about random people. But a closer look reveals that the particular cast of characters manages to touch all layers of the culture industry in New Orleans. The music is prominent but the food (Janette the chef and Ladonna the bar tender) are also important.

I think there's only one more episode (then marathoning the season the following Saturday, who's with me?)

Two more from the episode list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Treme_episodes

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Charred Greyface said:

Yeah, Hidalgo is the immigrant to New Orleans and Janette is the ex-pat. They widened the scope this year to cover more of its people.

I really wonder what will happen in S3. It seems they're building toward a mayoral battle, but then they introduced all these fishermen as well...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm guessing something big will also happen next week knowing how David Simon is with penultimate episodes. Of course, they might have just moved it back one episode to throw people off - certainly fits having Pelecanos write it.

Gah man, shit that ending. But the bit between Antoine and Kermit was solid gold. "muthuFUCKA." And the banter between Delmond and Albert continues to be a great source for comedy.

Also am I the only one not understanding Hidalgo's character and plot line at all? Maybe it's all the real estate speak and sociopolitical intrigue, but I'm just not getting it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I. Love. This. Show.

CrunchyFrog said:
Also am I the only one not understanding Hidalgo's character and plot line at all? Maybe it's all the real estate speak and sociopolitical intrigue, but I'm just not getting it.
Well, basically, throughout the season so far he's been slinging and charming his way into property deals and supplying the city's internet/cable wiring. In this episode, he went around buying property in areas that were about to be announced as targeted "recovery zones," meaning that the value of that land was about to skyrocket as it became a city-endorsed development zone. Hidalgo is either going to flip the land for a massive profit or he'll work deals to get a large chunk of the development money for whatever ends up getting built there.

ColR100

For me this was probably the strongest episode this season.

I wasn't overly impressed with Season One of Treme....it was enjoyable for me, but also quite forgettable. I don't think I'll be saying that about this second season though, top form all the way through and I'm extremely pleased I decided to stick with it.

Holy shit at that ending. Just when everything is looking up for some characters something fucked up has to happen.

This show is a rollercoaster. I liked that character too, but I cringed when he spoke. I knew right then he was done for....

Blackhead

Redarse
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, Hidalgo is the immigrant to New Orleans and Janette is the ex-pat. They widened the scope this year to cover more of its people.

I really wonder what will happen in S3. It seems they're building toward a mayoral battle, but then they introduced all these fishermen as well...
Nah, I don't think Treme is going to have The Wire-like seasons on the Mayor and the docks; Thomas is no Carcetti and the vietnamese fishermen aren't no union. Treme is closely tracking real life events so you can guess where the overarching story is headed if you look around.

The spoilers start here.
not really

'Treme' explained: 'Feels Like Rain
nola said:
*spoiler snip*
In a recent interview, Thomas said he had no second thoughts about playing himself on the series. "The reality is, they were going to allude (to details of Thomas’ story), good or bad, in the show, anyway," he said. "What you need to know about me is that I’m not afraid of my life or my story. If you saw ‘Reflections,’ which has been the most successful play in the city in recent years, you saw that I made a commitment to use my life and what happened to me to help other people – not to run from it and hide as though it had never happened." More from Thomas here.

'Treme' explained: 'What is New Orleans?'
nola said:
Here's an academic report about the New Orleans Vietnamese community's post-Katrina experiences. Here's a Journal of American History report. Here's a Stone Philips story for NBC's "Dateline." Cornell explains to Sonny that Linh's father, played by Lee Nguyen, shrimps both seasons, brown and white, out of Chalmette, and also does some crabbing.

The 'Treme Explained' series on nola.com has been amazing and my routine of watching the show and then reading the articles afterwards might just make this my favorite experience ever of following along through a season. If SongsfromTreme were still running it'd be the perfect trifecta.

Blackhead

Redarse
CrankyJay said:
From what I read they're just going to allude to it. Who knows?
Haven't they already? What else could Hidalgo have been doing when he handed over that envelope? (oh, it's the United States so it's called 'lobbying' not 'bribery')

Right, but that's a fictionalized version. I was wondering if they'd touch the real allegations, which I guess we'll know soon enough as I believe they're nearing the time period.

CrankyJay

Banned
Greyface said:
Haven't they already? What else could Hidalgo have been doing when he handed over that envelope? (oh, it's the United States so it's called 'lobbying' not 'bribery')

I took that as "here is money that you didn't ask for in anticipation of your continued cooperation" in an unspoken manner. That is a bribe I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Greyface said:
Nah, I don't think Treme is going to have The Wire-like seasons on the Mayor and the docks; Thomas is no Carcetti and the vietnamese fishermen aren't no union. Treme is closely tracking real life events so you can guess where the overarching story is headed if you look around.
Well, I'm not saying it'll have a season that is far removed from the characters... but, as Sepinwall or someone pointed out, the David Morse character was just an over-glorified extra back in S1 and he anchors the police corruption storyline of this season. Honestly, if they can get to the oil spill, I'd be very interested in seeing that story anyway.

Just caught up.

It's weird; it was very obvious from the way the murder scene was shot that trouble was coming. I typically don't see that in Simon's shows.

I had some of the biggest laughs this episode, mostly because of the Chief. His shtick with the West African headdress topped off with the wink was great. Delmond is going crazy. It reminds me of dealing with my dad.

I don't get why Jeanette was so impressed with David Chang's egg thing. Can some chef explain to me why that was a ballsy move or whatever?

Great episode; things are going to be so tough for Annie now. Hope she doesn't go off the edge.

I really like the show, but one thing bothered me in, I think, two weeks ago's episode:

Spoilers involve Melissa Leo and her child:
The daughter isn't a very good actress. The scene in the parking lot where Melissa Leo is breaking down and talking about John Goodman is heartbreaking and powerful, and maybe it is because Melissa Leo is such a good actress, but the daughter really detracted in that scene for me and spoiled it.

Also, since this is S2 thread I won't spoil marker this one, but I really wish John Goodman died this season around episode 3 or something. Him dying in Season 1 so quickly kinda makes it hard for his specter to be such a presence. I have a feeling that
last week's death
will affect me as a viewer much more in the (hopeful) seasons to come.

tokkun

CrankyJay said:
Wonder how this will change Annie as a character...I knew trouble was going to be had as soon as the guy stopped running. I was like "FUCK! NO!"

Surprised she didn't get capped too for being a witness to it.

I think that scene was pretty necessary for her character. All season for her has basically been her having great success and everyone being really nice to her. The character needed to have some conflict to giver her more depth, and they couldn't really go back to the "writers' block" well again after Creighton in season one.

New episode tonight.
That's What Lovers Do

The community mourns; Toni seeks Colson's help; Sonny is smitten; Janette earns a new nickname; Sofia faces temptation; Delmond and Albert head south to work on their record.

My friend Ed Copeland is even more vexed by this tendency than I am. He has spent whole sections of his "Treme" articles clocking individual scenes and listing their running times and contents, including cutaways. He blames exorbitant music licensing fees. But I don't think that's the culprit. "Treme" hopscotches from moment to moment and beat to beat no matter what's happening on-screen, often for no discernible reason other than apparent fear that viewers might get bored and switch channels. It seems to be an aesthetic choice -- one that "Treme" made between seasons 1 and 2 and decided to stick with no matter what, and apply to musical and nonmusical scenes alike.

i think this is kind of david simon's trademark.. the wire could be the same way

CrankyJay

Banned
Poor Davis...he's getting shafted at every turn. They're probably going to kick him out of the band, and he's going to get screwed on the record label deal.

CrankyJay

Banned
Full Metal Jacket said:
and Antoine is such an attention whore, lol.

That scene was funny...I was like "WTF is he doing? She's going to get pissed and flip out on him...or is this part of an act?" And then BAM, she let loose on him. It was funny.

The new girl/Toni intern is hot though and she can sing.

Cornballer said:
- NY Magazine: Why You Should Have Been Watching Treme Instead of The Killing

Regarding Davis and Sonny, I'm pleased with the direction of both characters this season. They were both well acted in S1, but Davis was annoying and Sonny was pretty despicable. Nice turnaround this season, and I'm invested in their storylines.

Such a fantastic article. Thanks for posting.

Davis, while deepening, is almost becoming more legitimately annoying, but in a truer way. His interactions with Callio are revealing how weakly self-serving he is, and his desire to turn every tragedy into a benefit concert is pretty distasteful.

But it's true to character. Dude was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and won't ever be able to outrun it. Probably doesn't even want to.

Man, I love this show.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Davis, while deepening, is almost becoming more legitimately annoying, but in a truer way. His interactions with Callio are revealing how weakly self-serving he is, and his desire to turn every tragedy into a benefit concert is pretty distasteful.

But it's true to character. Dude was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and won't ever be able to outrun it. Probably doesn't even want to.

Man, I love this show.
Well said. He's certainly still annoying, but there's a lot more going on with his character this season, and that makes him much more interesting to me.

Count me in the circle that has never found Davis annoying. He's disappointed, for sure, but he would never stand in Lil' Calio's way.

If I was trying to foment change, get people's attention, and really make a difference, I'd be upset that a dance track is being recognized more. That's a good reason to be upset, and it goes along with the theme of the city holding itself back from progress. We saw that with the whole cable mess. The city could've saved a bunch of money but wound up not doing so just 'cause.

I've never seen anything but good intentions from Davis.

Al-ibn Kermit

yeah, I agree with most of the complaints that article has. There's a lot of groan-worthy dialogue from the musicians and I do get really annoyed by the music video detours every 15 minutes.

Cornballer said:
Al-ibn Kermit said:
yeah, I agree with most of the complaints that article has. There's a lot of groan-worthy dialogue from the musicians and I do get really annoyed by the music video detours every 15 minutes.
I love the music segments, and I've already resigned that this show is not a "show" show.

I do think the dialog sounds cheesy at times, but I have no idea how musicians communicate amongst one another, and I doubt the writer does, either. It's hard to imagine it's too fake considering how many real musicians are on the show. When it comes to relationships, I think the scenes are incredibly authentic. Watching Antoine and Ladonna talk or Delmond trying to converse with his dad is always riveting, so I'm giving the writers/researches the benefit of the doubt.

I'd like to think of myself as a serious athlete, and when I'm with my team, we speak in cliches all the time. I'm sure if we wrote down our conversations for people to act out, viewers would criticize it as corny and unauthentic.

- Sepinwall: 'Treme' closing out terrific second season
Sunday night's 90-minute "Treme" season 2 finale (9 p.m., HBO) is the series in a microcosm. There are times where it seems much longer than necessary for the stories that it's telling, but many more where the sense of atmosphere and joy is so great that the length becomes irrelevant. And every now and then, there's a moment that's incredibly powerful precisely because of the show's loose pace, which can seem relaxed to the point of catatonia if you're not invested.
90 minute finale is on Sunday.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Annoyed... by... the music segments?! This show may not be for you.

metsallica said:
Annoyed... by... the music segments?! This show may not be for you.

Indeed. I get so engrossed in the world of the show and that's at least partly because of the music segments which tend to say more about the characters then 10 lines of dialogue would, while also working as a form of narrative cohesion that brings the show together.

Also, 90 minute finale? Sweet. For a show that people always whinge about being incredibly slow, I personally find the hour goes by quite fast. Captivating stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom