• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion |OT| webm required for proper OT experience!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
How is performance of this on PC? Does it trump the consoles? Impulse buy coming later on tonight, lol. That's why I ask as I have both XB1/PS4

How is performance of this on PC? Does it trump the consoles? Impulse buy coming later on tonight, lol. That's why I ask as I have both XB1/PS4

I'm pretty sure PC and PS4 are equals performance wise, assuming you have a decent PC. BUT, there are a lot more custom tracks on the consoles. Bigger user base.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure PC and PS4 are equals performance wise, assuming you have a decent PC. BUT, there are a lot more custom tracks on the consoles. Bigger user base.

Yep. There are well over 10,000 tracks on PS4, last I heard PC wasn't even up to 1,000. And the performance on PS4 is great (except on certain custom tracks, but that's always gonna be the case with such powerful track creation tools), so I would definitely recommend getting it on PS4 even if you have a PC that could max the game at 60 fps.

Overdoziz

Banned

If you meet the recommended requirements you'll be fine. Anything under can result in framedrops which causes slowdown which ruins the game.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400s or AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 4GB
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti or better / AMD Radeon HD 7850 or better
Disk space: 8GB

Duxxy3

Finished another track on extreme. I don't care if it took 260 something faults, that's a win for me. That made my week.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I finally reached 100% in the career!
finished inferno with 1 fault and 2 seconds under the limit :D

came to teh last checkpoint with only 3 fault and 15 seconds margin and thouhgt i wouldnt make it cause i had trouble with the obstacle, but did it on the second try.
damn barrels cost me 30 tries, such a bitch obstacle.

so happy now.
such a rewarding game!

vid

We're coming up on two months since release, I'd imagine we'll probably be hitting the first round of Season Pass stuff soon, yeah?

Overdoziz

Banned
We're coming up on two months since release, I'd imagine we'll probably be hitting the first round of Season Pass stuff soon, yeah?
They haven't even really talked about the free online mode that was supposedly getting released "soon" after launch yet. :/

Steiner84

yeah, im still Holding of the purchase of the season pass, because right now ist 20 euro spend for absolutely nothing and no sign of it changing anytime soon.
Which is strange seeing the game sold ok from an educated guess (on ps4 more then 300k have played the first Level iirc, xbox one surely is similar or more, and old consoles + PC will easily bring Units to 1.2 to 1.5 mio imo which is great for such a title) and there are no Major bugs or glitches that could prevent the Team from working on Content..

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Currently mostly playing custom tracks, and there's a lot of good stuff out there. However, it's really annoying that the "Top rated this week" tracks never fucking change. Once a track gets in there it's there for good, it seems. To find new stuff you have to look elsewhere.

Currently mostly playing custom tracks, and there's a lot of good stuff out there. However, it's really annoying that the "Top rated this week" tracks never fucking change. Once a track gets in there it's there for good, it seems. To find new stuff you have to look elsewhere.

The patch they've said they're working on is taking forever!

Overdoziz

Banned
this on pc?
I was baffled to see trails Evolution performing like a rats ass on my i7, gt 750, 8GB, SSD Laptop when I bought it shortly after Fusion came out. It also had those slowdowns.
So I guess, no, no they wount.
I'm not so much talking about bad optimizing as I am the fact that the game slows down if the framerate drops which is ridiculous.

atomsk

Party Pooper
The patch they've said they're working on is taking forever!

Haven't touched the game in weeks since I know there is that impending leaderboard reset, or whatever they're doing to it.

I check the official forum once a week or so.

It's sad how all these issues + fragmented userbase has really killed the community

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not so much talking about bad optimizing as I am the fact that the game slows down if the framerate drops which is ridiculous.

It's a problem if you can't stay above 60, for sure, although I'm not exactly sure what they could do about it. This game requires ABSOLUTELY deterministic behavior (i.e. the same conditions and input must always lead to the exact same outcome), otherwise much of what the game does simply wouldn't work. And for that rock solid repeatability to be possible the game engine has to work in discrete "clicks" that always move the game forward by the same amount. And if your PC can't keep updating the game at 60 clicks per second, the game is gonna slow down instead. If it didn't, and they instead used delta time to update the game (which is what you do to make a game keep running as fast even if the frame rate drops), each "click" wouldn't be guaranteed to move the game forward by the same amount anymore. This would lead to sync issues, and stuff like replays would almost definitely break.

Haven't touched the game in weeks since I know there is that impending leaderboard reset, or whatever they're doing to it.

I check the official forum once a week or so.

It's sad how all these issues + fragmented userbase has really killed the community

Pretty sure there won't be a full leaderboard reset. At most they will probably delete records that take advantage of tricks to get better times.

Kumubou

It's a problem if you can't stay above 60, for sure, although I'm not exactly sure what they could do about it. This game requires ABSOLUTELY deterministic behavior (i.e. the same conditions and input must always lead to the exact same outcome), otherwise much of what the game does simply wouldn't work. And for that rock solid repeatability to be possible the game engine has to work in discrete "clicks" that always move the game forward by the same amount. And if your PC can't keep updating the game at 60 clicks per second, the game is gonna slow down instead. If it didn't, and they instead used delta time to update the game (which is what you do to make a game keep running as fast even if the frame rate drops), each "click" wouldn't be guaranteed to move the game forward by the same amount anymore. This would lead to sync issues, and stuff like replays would almost definitely break.
The issue with this is that the game logic should be decoupled from rendering in the first place regardless. Having the game physics update at a fixed interval does help with the game stay deterministic and consistent, but the vast majority of the processing time is spent on rendering. Ideally, you would have the two in different threads (which adds its own complications) so that even if the rendering ends up over budget, the game logic can continue to run at a fixed rate. If the game logic can't even run at 60hz... then you have a whole another mess of problems. :x

You can tie the two together on consoles, where the hardware and environment are fixed and a known quantity, but running an engine like that on PC can turn into a mess (as people see firsthand with Trials Evo and Fusion on PC).

Steiner84

Still no word whatsoever about future patch, DLC, or this free Game Mode?

Im a Little concerned now.

featured tracks also havent been updated since they introduced it.

Still no word whatsoever about future patch, DLC, or this free Game Mode?

Im a Little concerned now.

featured tracks also havent been updated since they introduced it.

Yeah, and their community team barely gives out any info. It's quite annoying.

I'm not the least bit excited about having more exceedingly difficult tracks to play. :/ I'm more of a "hard" track kind of guy.

pacman85

I have no idea what I just watched.
Yeah this doesn't really tell us anything unless I am missing something....They already said on their Twitter account they don't have anything to announce regarding the supposed coming soon for free online multiplayer mode so I guess this is just related to the first DLC pack release?

Steiner84

Yeah, and their community team barely gives out any info. It's quite annoying.

I'm not the least bit excited about having more exceedingly difficult tracks to play. :/ I'm more of a "hard" track kind of guy.

well im also mostly a "hard" guy but I like the well crafted extreme tracks from the career.
99% of custom "extreme" tracks are more ninja then extrem.
Also sad that there is no option that gives you the next positive rated hard track that you havent played.
At any give point you see only the newest tracks plus 15 pages of best rated, which never seem to change, I guess because they are from the release period and got far far more ratings then tracks coming out now.
So there is a ton of good tracks hidden in limbo you possibly never get to play unless you know their name..

I have no idea what I just watched.

Yeah this doesn't really tell us anything unless I am missing something....They already said on their Twitter account they don't have anything to announce regarding the supposed coming soon for free online multiplayer mode so I guess this is just related to the first DLC pack release?

well from what i got on their forum it is neither DLC nor Multiplayer.
Its a new game mode, but what exactly is unknown.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I'm not exactly keen on new modes when they've got more than enough stuff that needs fixing.

Maybe some of that will come along with whatever this is.

JaoSming

Neo Member
ah, it's tournaments

bFZZPTq.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned
So we're getting that thing that we already had in the previous games at launch? yay
Time limited tournaments, so they don't count to your global leaderboard score?

Then... what's the point?
I don't think tournaments ever counted toward the global leaderboards.

Steiner84

not stasified.
back to custom tracks.

but it seems they fixed the sudden stutter and the overall performance seems improved.
You also see now the total amount of positiv ratings.

atomsk

Party Pooper
So we're getting that thing that we already had in the previous games at launch? yay

I don't think tournaments ever counted toward the global leaderboards.

HD and Evo did.

It's the only reason I got high enough on the leaderboards, being able to finish the extreme tourneys

2 months, multiple patches, new content, and I STILL don't have my pre-order costumes/bikes on the PS4 Deluxe disc version. Ubisoft support won't respond to my requests for help. Fuck this game.

So my trials save got corrupted.

God dammit. And even the cloud save is corrupted. This is really annoying.

Damn. Did a new patch hit today? Did that corrupt your save?

not stasified.
back to custom tracks.

but it seems they fixed the sudden stutter and the overall performance seems improved.
You also see now the total amount of positiv ratings.

Which version are you talking about? Did a new patch hit today?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The new tournaments feature is a bit underwhelming, although it's more interesting than the tournaments in the old games. Those were just static collections of tracks. These are dynamic and time-limited. If you are in a certain percentage of the best players when a tournament ends you get some reward (in-game cash, I suppose?), and then new tournaments are rotated in. Hopefully we can even get custom track tournaments.

I like the other fixes and changes. Better performance is always good (the stuttering after launching the game was so annoying). Being able to see how many people have actually given a track a good rating makes those ratings a lot more reliable (although I don't know why we can't see the number of negative ratings as well). And they've finally added a "Newest Extreme Tracks" feed to Track Central. Hopefully that will make people stop uploading their Extreme (and Ninja, even) tracks as Hard (this has really been annoying me), as Extreme tracks should now be a lot more discoverable.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems like you can't tell your current position in a tournament without pressing Triangle to open the leaderboard. No way to tell from the tournament tiles, and nothing shows up when you hover over them like with regular tracks. Annoying.

This update feels like it really just got things to where they should have been at launch. Performance on the XB1 has clearly improved, and the screen tearing seen on certain tracks is pretty much gone.

Seems like you can't tell your current position in a tournament without pressing Triangle to open the leaderboard. No way to tell from the tournament tiles, and nothing shows up when you hover over them like with regular tracks. Annoying.

Yeah, that seemed like an obvious oversight.

Is there a page on youtube anywhere that showcases various ways of using the editor for creating different things like moving vehicles, etc? I have a great idea for a track that I'm starting to build but the editor seems a bit more complicated when it comes to making moving parts, etc and knowing what all those things do in the editor. Any help would be great appreciated!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I created a new thread because I felt this new Trials Fusion track deserved it. It's on PS4 and it's called The Cave. Easily the best user track I've seen so far in Fusion.

Here's the thread I made about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841346

and here is a direct link to a video of the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIIJJ6Y3To

Yeah, that track is pretty great, had fun playing through it. A bit on the easy side for me personally (not that I zero-faulted it), but fun.

Is there a page on youtube anywhere that showcases various ways of using the editor for creating different things like moving vehicles, etc? I have a great idea for a track that I'm starting to build but the editor seems a bit more complicated when it comes to making moving parts, etc and knowing what all those things do in the editor. Any help would be great appreciated!

Maybe some of the stuff here could help you? Most of the tutorial videos there are for the Trials Evo editor, but there are some for Fusion as well.

Top Bottom