• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion |OT| webm required for proper OT experience!

Kumubou

On trick master it says trick flip.. how you do that? I had an underdog flip and a superman flip.. and I did a front flip or back flip while holding the trick but that wasn't it?
You have to go all the way around back to the same rotation that you started the trick with. For example, you start an Underdog upside down -- the game will award the flip when you come back right side up, but you need to keep going and complete a rotation from where you started the trick for it to count in Trick Master.

Cajun

Neo Member
Just choked away a 0 fault run of inferno IV on the second to last obstacle. If it wasn't an improvement over my previous best (3 faults), my day one X1 controller would be broken right now.

Edit: Got it. I won't bother getting platinum on the FMX tracks, so the wait for DLC begins.

FUCK YEAH
Finally got a Platinum medal on Inferno IV!

itdMtGF.jpg

Now we wait for the DLC.

Me at 1:01 in the video

os.jpg

Duxxy3

Got the game earlier today, and I'm already back on expert tracks. I'm so much more comfortable on this controller.

Maddrical

Goddamn watching people complete the harder levels on this game puts me in awe. I don't know how you guys do it.

Thinking about grabbing this game on Steam, I generally love Trials games but they've been a bit stale as of late for me. I've been playing Trials Frontier on my phone for weeks now, and I don't know why because it's really terrible as it incorporates everything I hate about mobile & casual gaming -- energy system, 'leveling up' and an absolute tonne of ways to spend money. Haven't (and won't) spent a cent yet but it's got me itching for a good Trials game.

I've never bought a season pass for a game either but it's tempting to grab it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Thought I'd throw my platinum run on here too.

I love seeing the different ways over obstacles people find most consistent. Like your method over the incline just past the barrels. It seriously makes mine look dumb, and I thought I had found the most consistent way.

I hate you guys.

I think I'm soooort of decent at the game (first two Extreme tracks zero-faulted, single-digit faults on the following two), but getting the platinum on Inferno IV still feels a long way off. I can usually get through most of it fine, but I'll always mess up and get loads of faults at one point or another. Think 32 is my best so far. Just not consistent enough yet.

Cajun

Neo Member
I hate you guys.

I think I'm soooort of decent at the game (first two Extreme tracks zero-faulted, single-digit faults on the following two), but getting the platinum on Inferno IV still feels a long way off. I can usually get through most of it fine, but I'll always mess up and get loads of faults at one point or another. Think 32 is my best so far. Just not consistent enough yet.

I honestly think Frostbite is significantly harder than Inferno to platinum, even though I got it before Inferno. Frostbite took me about twice as much time and effort. It's hard to explain why, but I feel like most obstacles on Inferno are extremely gimmicky, so once you find a consistent method, you'll get around them very frequently.

Frostbite on the other hand has a few obstacles that require insane precision (checkpoint 3 is arguably one of the hardest obstacles Redlynx has ever made imo, barring skill games like Ice Climb).

Light City isn't too bad. I found the simple bunny hop about two thirds of the way through the track to be the obstacle that gave me the most trouble. It's quite precise.

Btw, as a frame of reference I use, I'd say once you can zero fault any extreme tracks, you've entered the top echelon of players in Trials. As far as going past that point in skill, I feel like the major ways I've personally improved are in my ability to react to mistakes I make, and salvage attempts. The core mechanics the best players use don't differ very much from players that have just begun to zero fault extreme tracks, as far as I've noticed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I honestly think Frostbite is significantly harder than Inferno to platinum, even though I got it before Inferno. Frostbite took me about twice as much time and effort. It's hard to explain why, but I feel like most obstacles on Inferno are extremely gimmicky, so once you find a consistent method, you'll get around them very frequently.

Frostbite on the other hand has a few obstacles that require insane precision (checkpoint 3 is arguably one of the hardest obstacles Redlynx has ever made imo, barring skill games like Ice Climb).

Light City isn't too bad. I found the simple bunny hop about two thirds of the way through the track to be the obstacle that gave me the most trouble. It's quite precise.

Btw, as a frame of reference I use, I'd say once you can zero fault any extreme tracks, you've entered the top echelon of players in Trials. As far as going past that point in skill, I feel like the major ways I've personally improved are in my ability to react to mistakes I make, and salvage attempts. The core mechanics the best players use don't differ very much from players that have just begun to zero fault extreme tracks, as far as I've noticed.

Well, I'm gonna keep trying, for sure! Just got Frostbite down to 3 faults and Light City Run to 5, so they're getting there...

Cajun

Neo Member
Well, I'm gonna keep trying, for sure! Just got Frostbite down to 3 faults and Light City Run to 5, so they're getting there...

That's really the only way to do it. Every time you sit down to play, aim to get at least one less fault.

That was actually one of my least consistent parts of the track, but I also rarely actually crashed on it so it's fine.

Yeah it's quite easy to save the fall on that obstacle. From watching the video it seems like the only difficult part of your method is not slipping off the bottom of the barrel perpendicular to the incline. If you had a little less speed going over it, it'd probably be even more consistent. My method, on the other hand, is a bunny hop off the back wheel while on an incline. I'd take yours any day.

japtor

I think the main difference I've noticed myself within that echelon is the speed in handling things and being able to link increasing amounts of the levels together. I think the platinum medal times are a good measure for that since you generally can't get them without at least smoothly going from obstacle to obstacle...at least on the more complex tracks. As long as I zero fault I tend to be fine since I always try to go fast, but it's brutal on some of the easier tracks for me since the margin for error seems massively reduced.

(Then there's the ninja echelon, which I'm not sure I'd even have fun with)
You'll get there, might take a long time (or perhaps not) but from your posts I'm guessing you'll do it eventually. That you're even trying to get zero fault runs on extreme tracks puts you ahead of most people I think, ultimately the only way is to keep playing and chip away.

I'm living vicariously through you guys since I don't have this game yet. I've recently gotten back into Trials Evolution after a long hiatus. I know I've mentioned it in the original Trials Evolution OT, but this is the only game to make me move my body and my hands while playing. It's so weird, but I look someone playing a video game on a 90s sitcom, flailing and waving my hands like a steering wheel.

I'm reminded of a comic I saw when Trials Evolution was first released. It goes something like this: there's a guy going into great detail about the strategy and movements he needs to do in order to complete the second to last checkpoint, only to constantly fail the first checkpoint over and over again. That's my Trials life in a nutshell and I couldn't be happier.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One thing I really hate about Track Central is that people keep posting what is clearly Extreme tracks as Hard ones. Now, I don't mind Extreme tracks in general, and some of them are pretty good, but if I'm searching for Hard tracks that's what I want to get. I guess this is because there is no "Newest Extreme Tracks" category (why the hell is that?), so the only way to get people to actually try your track is to post it as Hard. Well, that's crap, and should be fixed. The only way to even find Extreme tracks currently, when I do want them, seems to be to explicitly search for them.

I also wish you could see the actual number of positive and negative ratings for each track, rather than just a percentage. Would give a much stronger indication of how good a track really is.

Also, SIGH at all the damn "impossible stairs" tracks. Why the hell do people keep giving them positive ratings?

Kumubou

One thing I really hate about Track Central is that people keep posting what is clearly Extreme tracks as Hard ones. Now, I don't mind Extreme tracks in general, and some of them are pretty good, but if I'm searching for Hard tracks that's what I want to get. I guess this is because there is no "Newest Extreme Tracks" category (why the hell is that?), so the only way to get people to actually try your track is to post it as Hard. Well, that's crap, and should be fixed. The only way to even find Extreme tracks currently, when I do want them, seems to be to explicitly search for them.

I also wish you could see the actual number of positive and negative ratings for each track, rather than just a percentage. Would give a much stronger indication of how good a track really is.

Also, SIGH at all the damn "impossible stairs" tracks. Why the hell do people keep giving them positive ratings?
Another issue I have is that you can't rate a track if you quit playing it before finishing. So if a track is glitchy or just plain broken and you quit playing it, you can't downvote it. Interestingly, you can vote on a track if you hit the fault or time limit, which is doubly weird (not that I've done that or anything... D: ).

I think part of the weird difficulty grading is due to the fact that only the dedicated players are going to be making tracks, and the difficulty range they prefer tends to range from Hard to Get Wrecked. Mentally, I always bump the rated difficulty up one (so Medium tracks often times should be Hard, Hard tracks often times should be Extreme, and Extreme tracks often times should be Ninja/Stupid/whatever).

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
There is also no way to find the Overall best rated tracks.
IT seems theres only newest tracks and best of the week.
So once a very good track is over a week old its gone into Limbo if you did not fav it or can remember the name/creator.
Thats a bit shitty to say the least.

meanwhile I golded the first four extrmes and at least finished Inferno with 250 faults.
I might try to get it Sub 150 for the silver, but thats about it for me so far.
Waiting for DLC now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Another issue I have is that you can't rate a track if you quit playing it before finishing. So if a track is glitchy or just plain broken and you quit playing it, you can't downvote it. Interestingly, you can vote on a track if you hit the fault or time limit, which is doubly weird (not that I've done that or anything... D: ).

I'm pretty sure you can't even publish a plain broken track, you need to be able to finish it yourself first. But yeah, some all but broken tracks I've forced myself through just so I could give them a bad rating. I feel that it's important to help weed out the crap, and not just upvote the good stuff.

ChrisW

Does anyone know how much the PS4 version has to download before I can play the game? I've got such a crap internet and I'm only on 1gb out of 5

Playing around in track central for the first time in a few weeks. Really like tracks in the vein of BmxBattleshipFIX, good balance of cool theme and old school Trials style gameplay (though very easy).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In case anyone has missed it, Trials Frontier is now available for Android on Google Play. Looks and runs great on my Nexus 5. Rather playable too, although obviously a much more casual experience than "proper" Trials. Haven't quite hit the F2P wall yet, but I expect I will rather soon.

EDIT: Ok, there we go. Out of fuel, wait or pay (yeah, not doing that).

In case anyone has missed it, Trials Frontier is now available for Android on Google Play. Looks and runs great on my Nexus 5. Rather playable too, although obviously a much more casual experience than "proper" Trials. Haven't quite hit the F2P wall yet, but I expect I will rather soon.

EDIT: Ok, there we go. Out of fuel, wait or pay (yeah, not doing that).

Yeah it's just like every other free to wait game. I hit the wait/pay wall and delete the game. I would have gladly given them $10 for a non-bullshitter version of the game but nope.

MYeager

There is also no way to find the Overall best rated tracks.
IT seems theres only newest tracks and best of the week.
So once a very good track is over a week old its gone into Limbo if you did not fav it or can remember the name/creator.
Thats a bit shitty to say the least.

meanwhile I golded the first four extrmes and at least finished Inferno with 250 faults.
I might try to get it Sub 150 for the silver, but thats about it for me so far.
Waiting for DLC now.

You can manually search for best rated (and even add conditions such as only Hard tracks, etc)

Cajun

Neo Member
Yeah it's just like every other free to wait game. I hit the wait/pay wall and delete the game. I would have gladly given them $10 for a non-bullshitter version of the game but nope.

My main issue with Frontiers is that the amount you can play inbetween pay walls is 95% luck. If it was 95% skill, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But that damn lottery wheel never gives me anything I want.

In other news, I got a fantastic height on Ice Climb earlier today.

It'll take so much effort to beat this run...I'm not sure I want to. The beginning of A5 is brutal. 36th on X1 leaderboards btw.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My main issue with Frontiers is that the amount you can play inbetween pay walls is 95% luck. If it was 95% skill, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But that damn lottery wheel never gives me anything I want.

Yeah, does it even matter how well you do on a track? Doesn't seem like it. The wheel should have better items if you get a gold medal than if you get silver, etc. Or give you extra free spins, or more fuel, or whatever. It should matter how well you do, in some way.

Kumubou

Yeah, does it even matter how well you do on a track? Doesn't seem like it. The wheel should have better items if you get a gold medal than if you get silver, etc. Or give you extra free spins, or more fuel, or whatever. It should matter how well you do, in some way.
It does matter a bit -- when the wheel comes up, you can press on the item that you want and that part of the wheel will expand a bit. The size that it increases by depends on the item and the medal you got. That's not even the worst part of the game -- the worst part is how the game either forces you to grind for hundreds of random items or to throw hundreds of gems at the wheel to get the items in some of the later missions.

Trials Frontier is kind of sad because it would have been a really good experience on phones and tablets, but the free-to-pay mechanics bloat the shit out of the game.

plc268

Some of the times on Trials Frontier are setup that they're nearly impossible to get gold with your starter bikes. And upgrading your bike is a long grind when not paying.

Trials Frontier is kind of sad because it would have been a really good experience on phones and tablets, but the free-to-pay mechanics bloat the shit out of the game.

Yea, it plays surprisingly well for a touch device. I could do without the lame story or whatever, but the way they monetized the game is just not good. I definitely wouldn't mind throwing $5-$10 their way for a game that is properly balanced. But as with most f2p, they're trying to squeeze money out of me every step of the way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It does matter a bit -- when the wheel comes up, you can press on the item that you want and that part of the wheel will expand a bit. The size that it increases by depends on the item and the medal you got.

Oh, ok. I was aware you can do that, but not that your result on the track determines how much the section you press will expand. That's something, I guess.

atomsk

Party Pooper
is there any News about upcoming DLC?
what did they say when it should come out?

No word on tracks, but there is something coming in a few weeks called Feature Pack 1

Hey everybody, here's the latest update on Trials Fusion. Right now, we're hard at work on the first Feature Pack. This pack will bring the first major new feature to the game, as part of our ongoing commitment to continue to grow and improve Trials Fusion in the months and years to come.

While we're not disclosing the exact nature of this new Feature yet, we're sure you will find it adds a lot to the game. And as always, all Feature Packs for Trials Fusion will be absolutely free.

In addition to the new feature, the first Feature Pack will include a large number of additional fixes and improvements to enhance the overall Trials experience. A complete list will be published on the day we launch Feature Pack #1, but the list below contains some highlights.

We expect Feature Pack #1 to release within the next few weeks, depending on quality assurance testing.

ALL/CONSOLES

Correcting the FMX Speed Glitch, where you get an inadvertent speed boost using an FMX trick
Addressing additional issues regarding the PS4 Season Pass
Addressing some issues regarding Uplay connectivity
Adding a number of stability fixes to the editor
Some improvements to texture and graphics issues
A number of fixes and improvements to Track Central

PC SPECIFIC

PC version is getting a number of stability related fixes and optimizations
New options for users to tweak the graphic settings (foliage, particles)
Mouse cursor now disappears when using the gamepad

We're aware that correcting the FMX Speed Glitch will impact the Leader Boards and we are putting together a plan to address Leader Board issues after the launch of this Feature Pack.

Not going to try and get back into the game until after this leaderboard stuff is sorted out.

Going to laugh real hard if this "major new feature" was the tournaments they left out of the game.

Steiner84

You can manually search for best rated (and even add conditions such as only Hard tracks, etc)

can you explain how to do this?
I looked into it again yesterday but I dont know how to search for best rated..

No word on tracks, but there is something coming in a few weeks called Feature Pack 1

Not going to try and get back into the game until after this leaderboard stuff is sorted out.

Going to laugh real hard if this "major new feature" was the tournaments they left out of the game.

well, I hoped for new hard and extreme tracks..
thanks

I'm getting really tired of the pauses or hitching on PS4, and their community team doesn't say shit regarding fixes that may or may not be coming. They're taking a long time with these updates.

Defect

Online multiplayer sucked in trials evo. A waste of features. It's like if the next trials comes out and drops fmx tracks, I wouldn't consider that unfinished, it'd be an improvement

The matchmaking sucked, not the private matches with friends and usermade maps.

I don't think they ever promised online multi? Seems like a pretty complete game to me.
After Evo, it should have been in this one. There aren't many tracks either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Once you've performed a track search you can sort the results using the little arrows above each column. One of the columns is rating, so just sort by that.

MYeager

In the main Track Central screen there are four boxes to the right for adding your own search criteria to the main page. You can select one of these boxes which will take you to a search field, in that you can use drop down boxes for a couple of things, like track type (Trials/Skill/FMX), Difficulty and something else. Hit search.

When the search screen comes up there are a couple of headers like:
Creator Track Title Difficulty Rating
After you search you are automatically highlighting the first track. Press up and it will highlight the headers. Move to Rating and hit A or X and it will then filter by track rating from best to worst. Hit it again and it'll sort from worst to best.

I believe you can pin that to the Track Central page so you don't have to do that every time but I don't remember how

MYeager

The matchmaking sucked, not the private matches with friends and usermade maps.

After Evo, it should have been in this one. There aren't many tracks either.

What's weird is Ubi sent out a survey about Fusion and as part of that it asked to rank the multiplayer in the game.

Steiner84

Once you've performed a track search you can sort the results using the little arrows above each column. One of the columns is rating, so just sort by that.

In the main Track Central screen there are four boxes to the right for adding your own search criteria to the main page. You can select one of these boxes which will take you to a search field, in that you can use drop down boxes for a couple of things, like track type (Trials/Skill/FMX), Difficulty and something else. Hit search.

When the search screen comes up there are a couple of headers like:
Creator Track Title Difficulty Rating
After you search you are automatically highlighting the first track. Press up and it will highlight the headers. Move to Rating and hit A or X and it will then filter by track rating from best to worst. Hit it again and it'll sort from worst to best.

I believe you can pin that to the Track Central page so you don't have to do that every time but I don't remember how

fucking ACE!
thanks guys, completely overlooked that.

man Uplay is ridicoulus atm.. stupid watch dogs killing it..

Kumubou

Is it just me or is the Red Lynx Trials site down? http://www.redlynxgame.com/ says "redlynxgame.com expired on 05/25/2014 and is pending renewal or deletion."
That looks like someone just forgot to pay for the domain name registration. Given how Ubisoft seems to work, that would have to go through 20 people and it got lost in someone's email somewhere -- this happens more than enough. I figure Ubisoft would be big enough to use a domain management service of some sort -- maybe they just never bothered to transfer RedLynx's domains.

I'm getting really tired of the pauses or hitching on PS4, and their community team doesn't say shit regarding fixes that may or may not be coming. They're taking a long time with these updates.
The community/support team for this game sucks. They aren't answering questions on the forum about serious issues such as lost progress or missing pre-order bonuses. They are really disappointing.

Top Bottom