• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
14000 Is crap all XP. I'd say if you have gold use it for something more expensive. But also if you've just started then wait until you've played a bit so you can decide what you want based on what you play/like.

elfinke

Yeah its pretty ridiculous. They are in dire need of a nerf especially in Radius, they have too much synergy with Safety Third (10%+10%+5%+5% = 30% extra radius). I think they should straight up replace the radius to something else.

This is just an example.

A shame you can't gift the items in your account to me lol.

I hate your avatar sooooo much Gez. Urgh, just looking at him makes me swell with anger.

Played a couple CTF games last night that we won dominated 5-0. Sucks as TCN - even with decent personal stats (something like ~15-4 KDR, good assists and base repairs out the wazoo from early game and mid-map turret repairs mostly) I kept finishing mid-table on points.

moojito

I hate your avatar sooooo much Gez. Urgh, just looking at him makes me swell with anger
509.png

Played a couple CTF games last night that we won dominated 5-0. Sucks as TCN - even with decent personal stats (something like ~15-4 KDR, good assists and base repairs out the wazoo from early game and mid-map turret repairs mostly) I kept finishing mid-table on points.

Usually it's sentinels then doombringers highest in points. Shorter games will see pathfinders up there. Long lasting games on maps like sunstar and tartar sauce with a lot of gen room fighting will often have techs up there as well.

red731

Does anyone want to play with me? I am playing on Eu - Amstr, but can change the location if necessary. I would like to have someone to capture the flags with, to destroy generators and double duel and stuff.

Send me a PM.

Atomski

They have the info on facebook as well. Ill probably play some :)

I think I remember them having private servers, does gaf have one?

nan0

They have the info on facebook as well. Ill probably play some :)

I think I remember them having private servers, does gaf have one?

None that I know of, and private servers currently aren't that popular, because you have to search for them explicitly (they are not in the "Play Now" rotation). But you can join friends in their current game.

Is the pathfinder bolt launcher worth buying? It's my daily deal currently for -65% which makes it cost something like 80 gold odd.

nan0

Is the pathfinder bolt launcher worth buying? It's my daily deal currently for -65% which makes it cost something like 80 gold odd.

I'd buy it. It has higher damage than the Light Spinfusor but a little longer reload time and I also feel that it has a higher AoE knockback (this is subjective, though) which makes it better to clear flagstands the moment before grabbing.
On the other hand, its just 42k XP which can be easily gained in a week, especially with the current double XP deys.

Card Boy

Banned
Did someone vandalize the spreadsheet? Or people actually removing there names? It's cool if you did, just wandering if someone trashed it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqExVMgNdyZodGtNcFJhUTkwNTZnTThrNmJ5RTMtVUE=#gid=0

Just keep in mind you lose the ability to disc jump in capture the flag if you go the Boltlauncher, it's a good TDM weapon.

Mrbob

I love this game. So much fun.

Does in game gold ever go on sale? I don't plan on quitting this game any time soon, and don't mind spending 20 or 30 bucks on gold to help unlock things faster but I'll wait for a gold sale if there ever has been one.

Edit: Added myself to the spreadsheet! Looking forward to playing this with other gaffers.

Card Boy

Banned

Does in game gold ever go on sale? I don't plan on quitting this game any time soon, and don't mind spending 20 or 30 bucks on gold to help unlock things faster but I'll wait for a gold sale if there ever has been one.

Gold never has gone on sale, but you have your own personal item of the day that goes on sale (anywhere between 25 to 85% off). It never has a Deal of the day for a item you already own.

Mrbob

I'll be on playing this again tonight!

Gold never has gone on sale, but you have your own personal item of the day that goes on sale (anywhere between 25 to 85% off). It never has a Deal of the day for a item you already own.

Oh really? The deal of the day is different for everyone? Very cool.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh hey, we have a thread for this game. A couple of friends got me into it a few months back and I play a match every now and then because its so much fucking fun. The only online shooter I've gotten into since TF2

So I banked up some XP during this double XP duration. Have around 120k. What are the good alternate weapons I should spend it on? And by alternate I mean the guns that usually show up at the bottom of the list and are relatively cheap (~18k or so). Don't want to spend it on the weapons that cost 75k or something, I'll just wait for a daily deal on those. As an example, the infiltrator has a default silenced pistol, and another 18k arctic version of the same one that does a little more damage I think. That seems like a good buy. I play every class except sniper. Suggestions?

Mrbob

From what I've seen, the bottom weapons are always alternate version of the base weapon you start with. I used the Arctic pistol for awhile, as it gave more damage than the regular one. Whether you want them or not depends if you like the slightly altered stats for them. There is a practice mode to try out all the weapons and items. The more expensive weapons (75K XP and up) tend to be the improved weapons you'll want to eventually move too from your base weapon. For my Infiltrator, I just recently upgraded from the Artic Pistol to the cloaked spinfusor disc weapon. I can now do a lot more direct shot damage.

As for what to buy with real money, here is how I look at things. 800 Gold is basically 10 dollars. How much money are you will to spend on getting a new item? Anything under 100 gold will roughly cost you a dollar to get. However if some item or weapon is between 300 to 400 gold on sale this is costing you nearly 5 dollars to unlock. Unless its a weapon I really want, at this price I'd rather unlock via XP instead. Daily deals aren't always that great. Last couple I've had 25 percent off discounts on 400+ gold items, so they were still in the 300 range.

I'm starting to think that perhaps gold is better spent when I have some free time and purchase an XP booster instead of a weapon or item.

Yea I'm aware that the last weapons are usually alternates, but I'm sure there are still some that are good and some that aren't so good. I feel that this is the kind of thing you need to find out from players because practice mode isn't enough to tell the nuanced differences between 2 similar items. That's why I asked.

As for the upgrades, I know that the 75k weapons are the really good stuff. I suppose I could unlock one of those too, but the way I see it, I'm not going to use my gold for anything else so I might as well use it when one of these better weapons becomes a daily. Today my daily was the 75k/450 gold Infiltrator stealth spinfusor for 200 odd gold so I picked it up. Definitely an upgrade from the default SMG, but I still feel the jackal is the best Infiltrator weapon especially since your main task is to destroy the enemy generator. I reckon I have enough gold left for another 3-4 such deals which would get me most of what I'm looking for anyway (Doombringer mines, Jackal, maybe the Juggernaut rocket launcher or maybe something else).

As for using the gold to buy boosters, I don't think I could do that. It would be a psychological thing in my mind of me needing to play a lot to make it worthwhile. I've been spending virtually every minute of gaming time in the last 4-5 double XP days playing Tribes and I got about 200k XP (and it was exhausting). I suppose that much could buy you 2 good weapons + some smaller stuff. It costs 400 gold to get a 3 day boost. 400 gold is 2 daily deals of 200 gold. IMO it comes out to be the more or less the same. Of course, this totally depends on how much time you could spend on the game. One could probably farm up 500k XP if they were dedicated enough.

edit -

Just saw this on the Steam forums

http://www.impulsedriven.com/tribesascend

Impulse/Gamestop have a Tribes starter pack for 13.5$ which is better than the Steam one.

Includes:

All Playable Classes (immediate unlock of Infiltrator, Sentinel, Pathfinder, Technician, Raider, Soldier, Doombringer, Brute, Juggernaut)
Permanent VIP status – 50% XP Bonus in every match you play
800 Gold
30 Day XP Booster
Spinfusor Weapon
Thumper Weapon
Mines
Quick Draw Perk
Bounty Hunter Perk
Egocentric Perk

moojito

That's a pretty nice starter pack. Decent choice of weapons and perks to get you started.

I don't know if having too much unlocked too soon would take away from some of the fun, reducing the number of things you have to work towards unlocking. Must be tough for the devs to get the right balance.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Right at the start of a game, someone on their team kept shooting at me. So I took it as a sign of a duel.

Hit him up in the air three times to melee finish him.

Look at his rank. Level 4. Feels bad =[

I love the new influx of players, but there is no way in hell they should be being matched up with high level players.

Anyways, 34 more flags to go for 1k. In striking distance for 10k kills soon too. The grind from 30-50 though is going be brutal it seems.

Esch

Banned
Right at the start of a game, someone on their team kept shooting at me. So I took it as a sign of a duel.

Hit him up in the air three times to melee finish him.

Look at his rank. Level 4. Feels bad =[

I love the new influx of players, but there is no way in hell they should be being matched up with high level players.

Anyways, 34 more flags to go for 1k. In striking distance for 10k kills soon too. The grind from 30-50 though is going be brutal it seems.
Im downloading this now. never played tribes before. I'm going to get reamed, arent I?

:lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's not supposed to match up people lvl 1-10 with people above that. That might only be for CTF though.

I only play CTF. So that would make sense. Prior to the Steam release, I was largely getting match again high silver being the low bar, to rank 50's beginning the high bar, with most being gold.

Im downloading this now. never played tribes before. I'm going to get reamed, arent I?

:lol

I'm probably far better than your average player. So I may not be a good example. I'm not that great either, but I'm good enough to hit 300+ speeds, blue plate in mid air, know how the ranges to hit the other base with the tank cannon from yours, clear flag stands off for your team, etc.

Here is a example of an average game I get matched into now.
0568A3CBE8533FE5A73A4A85632752AC4774C75B

That's a pretty nice starter pack. Decent choice of weapons and perks to get you started.

I don't know if having too much unlocked too soon would take away from some of the fun, reducing the number of things you have to work towards unlocking. Must be tough for the devs to get the right balance.

It's a far better pack than was offered on Steam, that's for sure. Especially since it costs less than 4$ more. And I find this mildly annoying. At least offer the same option to Steam users as well... whatever newfound popularity Tribes is enjoying is solely due to Steam, not Gamestop, so why do the developers give them a better deal? As for unlocking things too quickly, there are still many XP sinks left and giving new players all the classes to play with will offer a lot of variety. It's not a bad thing. I was thinking I might eventually buy another 800 gold at some point so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get this pack. I have all the classes unlocked but it would still be handy for the gold, the boost and the weapons (specifically the mines which I was planning to get in a daily deal anyway).

Also, another question about a daily deal. My deal for today is Infiltrator prism mines for 65% off (~150 gold). I don't really think they're worth having at all, especially since everyone can see the green lasers where ever they're planted, but I figured there's no harm in asking anyway. Are they worth it?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Was thinking of doing the same. I have two classes not unlocked, don't own mines, and that pack is basically the same price as a 30day boost is anyways on top of 800gold.

Card Boy

Banned
Just got that Second starter pack, now i have sepent 70bucks on this game. I'm spewing it didn't get it earlier for the double exp weekend. I got a day out of it, made 10K exp in one match. Word of warning the booster activates straight away on the pack so you don't get the option to activate later.

I mastered the Solider classes now, got 82% on the Pathfinder and the rest are in their 60's.

I got 2721 gold now, saving it for skins :) (50% off or bust!), also why does Hi-Res have a hardon for the Assassin Infiltrator skin? The Mercenary one is x100 times better (not to be confused with the raider one), and it never gets bundled or goes on sale for more than 30%.

Esch

Banned
Got it and played. I managed to get a few kills and some EXP, but i couldnt kill someone with an assault rifle if i tried. The infiltrator gear tho...

edit: This is scratching my UTIV itch in the best way

thefil

Started playing this over the weekend.

I can't believe I have been missing this all my life. Tribes Ascend is the only shooter I've ever played that competes for my TF2 love. The speed, the maps, the vehicles... it's what shooting should be.

Taffer

That Gamestop pack is basically what I just spent the weekend unlocking plus the technician's Thumper, which is next. I don't really care though, this game is batshit crazy, it reminds me of playing Unreal Tournament back when that was new.
Fractal Grenades and the Jackal are the cheapest things ever until I unlock them myself.

viciousDC

Banned
To those asking about the bolt launcher yes you need it. The bolt launcher does great damage, is insanely easy to land mid airs with, and is the ideal weapon combo for chasing flag cappers with the LAR.

viciousDC

Banned
Actually all the automatic weapons do higher damage per second than the explosive/splash weapons. So unless your explosive weapon does enough damage to kill the person from the initial shot, they are going to hand you your ass shortly after.

The best soldier build for killing people is the AR + Thumper. The advantage of the spinfusor is entirely in sniping base assets and deployables.

Esch

Banned
if the rate of fire for the assault rifle was higher and less projectile did damage i think itd be an easier to use/better weapon, especially for noobs like me

so far

PROS:
OG jump and frag action
Fun, different classes
Weapons are generally fun
Takes skill
good graphics+stable performance
monetization of the game seems fair
skiing+jetpack is awesome

CONS:
as a team game definitely falls short(VOIP, teamwork in general)
vehicles kinda suck except for the tank
melee should always be 1hko

for a free game? chuch. I might drop some cash on that gamespot pack, seems way better than the steam one.

viciousDC

Banned
The problem is that for skilled players automatics are so absurdly over powered it's a joke. They've already had to nerf them and they are still insanely OP.

droopy

Ya, automatic weapons are very strong and can pretty much win you any duel against someone who doesn't have one once you get used to them.
Try taking a doombringer into tdm to practice your aim (an make lots of friends).

thefil

So the Soldier assault rifle is not hit scan, right? It's a projectile? Sometimes it seems to hit where I'm shooting but the animation makes it look like slow projectiles.

viciousDC

Banned
The sniper rifle, pistols, and shotguns are hitscan, that's it.

However automatics, within a certain range, are so quick they might as well be. A few classes are especially abusive here. The best automatics are (in no real order) doombringer, juggernaut, raider, sniper, the others are all fairly "meh" still better than discs and nades, but they don't stand out. The techs is better than the soldiers by a good margin though.

Against a good player though, most if not all the shots are going to hit you if you're in a certain range. I main raider and if I get in a duel I can land all the shots inside of a certain range and I'll activate a shield pack. You're pretty much f'd.

Automatics only fall behind explosive weapons if you're indoors, but given that the generators are largely worthless I don't know why people would do this other than to farm kills off noobs.

Top Bottom