• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

I'm in between jobs right now.. and am completely broke. I was really happy to get some free points via facebook like.. any other way I can score some free ones?

My class is the raider.. I really want some of the raider loot! :D

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I'm in between jobs right now.. and am completely broke. I was really happy to get some free points via facebook like.. any other way I can score some free ones?

My class is the raider.. I really want some of the raider loot! :D

I've still got a couple cards from PAX East... you can only redeem one but that's another 250 if you want it...

Fireye

I suck with autos, I think. I use the new Technician SMG better than the old one, but I still suck at leading with it. I _DO_ love the new Dueling Spinfuzor for the Pathfinder. Green and powerful.

The new C&H maps are interesting, very open, which reduces the use of a technician. Been playing a lot of Soldier and Pathfinder, while leveling up weapons.

derFeef

I am never sure if I should lead with them or not... But the new TCN smg is a beast for sure.
Thinking about unlocking Infiltrator, but I am not really a sneaky stealth guy.

Zeliard

Been trying out the new Raider SMG. I like it. Less damage per shot but a very high rate of fire, and there's a psychological impact with getting a steady barrage of continuous hits on an opponent that shouldn't be underestimated. Dunno if the numbers are out yet to compare the DPS with the other SMGs.

Tech's new Rockwind SMG is pretty lol, though. Reminds me of the Plasma Gun's original incarnation in T:A in that I just feel bad using it (except against auto-wielding Heavies; it's always fun to cut those guys down with an SMG). I imagine that one will see a nerf.

Overall with the autos, I can't say the general nerf has made much of a difference in practice. If you have good aim with them you're still going to be totally dominant in duels over the other weapons, even with the clip nerfs. It's the sort of the thing that will only make a real difference with players with more average aim, as misses are punished more. But if you don't miss much, it doesn't have much of an effect.

moojito

I'm really digging the fat bastard doombringer and tech as alternatives to my usual pathfinder. I don't really like the others too much as they don't have as much of a clearly defined role, except maybe the infiltrator which I suck at.

So many accidental kills as doombringer. I'll be off refilling ammo and will get "you killed..." boxes up all the time from the forcefied and mines :)

hey TribesGAF :) I'm 240 gold away from the gun I REALLY REALLY desire.

Does anyone play TF2? I'd be willing to trade items for 250 gold! I have items that are no longer attainable in TF2 :)

I have a guest pass for the most awesome game, Red Orchestra 2! It gives you a three day pass to the game.. know the best part about that?

I have a total of three guest passes and you can have all of them (totaling an awesome 9 days of gameplay!)

if you do not want any of those things.. then I ask you to look inside your heart and be an awesome person :D!

Thank you!

Fireye

Does anyone play TF2? I'd be willing to trade items for 250 gold! I have items that are no longer attainable in TF2 :)

I have a guest pass for the most awesome game, Red Orchestra 2! It gives you a three day pass to the game.. know the best part about that?

I have a total of three guest passes and you can have all of them (totaling an awesome 9 days of gameplay!)

if you do not want any of those things.. then I ask you to look inside your heart and be an awesome person :D!

Thank you!

Have you already done the "Like Tribes on Facebook to get 250gold" thing already? If not, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/tribesascend/app_143129555807414

Hop

Thank you!

I'll respond publicly so others can know: you can only redeem one of each type of promo. So if you've done a PAX code, you can't get another.

If you could, I wouldn't have any gold to give away. :p

Have you already done the "Like Tribes on Facebook to get 250gold" thing already? If not, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/tribesascend/app_143129555807414

yes I did! :(

I'll respond publicly so others can know: you can only redeem one of each type of promo. So if you've done a PAX code, you can't get another.

If you could, I wouldn't have any gold to give away. :p

you just broke my heart, friend :(

so is there ANY other way to get 250g? :/ It's not worth it for me to buy $10 of gold when I only need a 4th of what you get...

I would like to spend $3 on gold :((

any other options? :(

Card Boy

Banned
I like that they reduced the price of some weapons. Sparrow is now 14000 (used to be 75K), Heavy Boltlauncher is now 42K (was 100K before)

I like that they reduced the price of some weapons. Sparrow is now 14000 (used to be 75K), Heavy Boltlauncher is now 42K (was 100K before)

ugh plasma gun is still 100k

I realized, all I have to do is wait for the daily deal.. which is 50% off.. and I'll have enough! Fuck yeah! Now to check back in on the daily deal everyday. Is it online anywhere (the daily deal) or the past daily deals?

thanks in advance, TribesGAF!

:) <3

nan0

Daily Deal is individual per user, since it respects whether you already have an item or not (there will be never things you own on sale) and is mostly random as far as I know. I had the MIRV launcher already three times this week.

Gaaraz

Is it just me, or is the server down? Says cannot connect to server, though it's the first time I've loaded it ;(

Card Boy

Banned
Also noticed the Nova Colt has gone down to 42K (was 75K). I sure at least 10 weapons got price cut which is a good thing.

The new unlock system is so much better. I don't even bother wasting XP on them anymore and focus my efforts on getting weapons.

I just wish Hi-Rez compensated people with some XP, i missed out on the daily XP from the booster before they added the bonus XP (over 30K XP), and i feel like i have wasted like 250K in weapon unlock XP. Not to mention i sort of got screwed on the free Solider spinfusor and free Ultility Pack. I just want that bonus XP from the booster, i just seems like vet players got screwed abit. Not a major complaint but i thought i would just vent abit.

moojito

What was the free soldier spinfusor thing for? I seem to have completely missed out on it, dagnammit!

edit: ah, it looks like it was from before I started playing. Not so bad, then!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I got too much XP, Got an additional 175k right now and nothing I'm really looking forward to buying.

Of course I play PTH 95% of the time, with Inf when they have too much defense for me to cap.

Nearing that Obsidian Medal for flag Caps. Less than 200 to go.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm becoming addicted to this game.

I'm not even worried about unlocks (though I did use the free 250 gold to unlock brute class the other day), I'm just having fun with the default weapons. There's no other shooter that feels like this one right now.

CoLaN

I'm addicted too.

This is the first competitive online FPS that revived my interest in the genre... it feels like i jumped back to the early 2000s, when i was deeply enjoying this kind of games.

dLMN8R

Man, someone on another forum I frequent, who's bitching that the Assault Rifle was gimped for the soldier (yet refuses to learn how to use the spinfusor or even the thumper), got me to try the assault rifle for myself a bit more. That thing is still a beast, I love using it!

Zeliard

New patch coming tomorrow:

Tribes Ascend Version 1.0.1016 is expected to be deployed on Friday, June 22. The servers will be down for several hours while the patch is deployed. Below are the preliminary patch notes.
Major Highlights

Added support for &#8220;lock to player view&#8221; while spectating players. This allows you to see what the spectated player target sees. Press &#8216;L&#8217; by default to lock the view to the player&#8217;s viewpoint. Mousewheel in for a first-person perspective.
A new TDM map has been added to the list of maps in the Quick Play rotation. (Miasma)
A new CTF map has been added to the list of maps available to play on Custom Servers. Stonehenge is a remap of a classic Tribes map. The map is currently in a &#8220;beta&#8221; state and will be added to the Quick Play rotation after it goes through testing on Custom Servers.

Weapon/Balance Items

The Pathfinder&#8217;s Light Assault Rifle will now fire bursts from just holding down the fire button, rather than having to repress the fire button for each burst.
Increased Rage Perk activation radius by 50%.
Decreased effect radius of Raider&#8217;s Whiteout grenade by roughly 8%.
Decreased damage on Shrike Rockets by 22%.
Increased Shrike Rocket damage to armored targets (ex. base turrets, beowulfs) by 30%.
Decreased damage on Technician&#8217;s Rockwind SMG by roughly 8%
Slightly increased the distance from the reticule required for the Spotted command to work.
Increased the distance Raider&#8217;s EMP grenades can be thrown to match most other grenades.
Decreased explosion radius on Pathfinder&#8217;s Compact Nitrons by 13%.
The Phase Rifle&#8217;s downscope reticule has been tweaked and crosshairs added.

Raindance: A new route has been added into the generator room.

Additional Items

With the help of community feedback, we have reworked some of the mechanics of the emergent gameplay of &#8220;rock-bouncing.&#8221; The mechanic is more lenient than the last major patch:
Bouncing off a rock at an extreme angle is possible again, but the player will lose some of their speed.
The &#8220;grace angle&#8221; for a bounce that loses no speed has been widened
We will continue to adjust this feature as needed.
FIxed an issue where some Accolades were not being awarded with some of the new variant weapons.
Fixed an issue where the Determination Perk was not applying its health boost correctly.
Fixed a situation where XP was not being given if the player had left the match early.
Fixed an issue where a player could zoom and fire with weapons that don&#8217;t allow zooming while firing by holding down zoom through a reload sequence.
Fixed bug where the Raider&#8217;s NJ5 Reload and Retrieve sounds were not playing.
Fixed bug where the Infiltrator&#8217;s Remote Arx Buster Reload and Retrieve sounds were not playing.
Tartarus High intensity music added.
Fixed an issue where the Rage Perk would sometimes not apply when it should have.
Fixed an issue where Technician&#8217;s Long Range Repair tool was repairing vehicles too quickly.
Fixed an issue where rapid projectile fire wasn&#8217;t replicating to a spectator viewing the player who was firing.
Fixed an issue on Deal of the Day that was incorrectly showing an XP tag.
Fixed an issue with the Twitch streams that was causing not all of the active players to be shown.

Finally adding a much-needed new route into the Raindance gen room, and first-person specing. Bunch of nerfs as well (Rockwind is no surprise), and Raider will apparently finally stop throwing grens like his arm is a wet noodle.

Shrike damage nerf on players could lead to hilariously more crashes as more players try to ram into enemies. For good Shrikers, it shouldn't have a big impact.

Interesting that they haven't done anything with the Sentinel spawn times yet; that'll probably come in a later patch.

As long as they're tweaking maps, one thing they really should do is add more capture points to Outskirts 3P (like making it, I dunno, 4P). That map is absolutely horrendous in C&H - always filled with Brutes fractal suiciding (and now with extended fractals that nobody asked for) on Point A ad nauseum. That is every match, all of the time. Adding even just one other point would alleviate that a decent amount by lessening the importance of going after just one. Then again it probably wouldn't change much since players just want points, and kills/assists lead to that.

moojito

Aye, seriously. Those extended fractals are a joke.

Anyone got any experience with this stonehenge map? I hope it's better than tartarus. That map is rubbish for a pathfinder.

Card Boy

Banned
Raindance: A new route has been added into the generator room.

Excellent. The Raindance generator camping was a joke. Basically go Juggernaut or Brute with Gladiator and spam at the entrance.

edit: servers are down i guess for the patch.

Hop

Aye, seriously. Those extended fractals are a joke.

Anyone got any experience with this stonehenge map? I hope it's better than tartarus. That map is rubbish for a pathfinder.

Not with this iteration, of course, but Stonehenge was always the open-air map. Very little cover, the flag was wide open though way in the back of the base. Popular for a reason, I'd say.

Gaspode_T

Just played my third ever game, which for some reason always has only 2 or 3 people playing. Got the technician class - wanted to lay turrets...I cant lay turret?? What the heck is going on here...after we won then it says plus 1 turret...hmmm...I am totally confused what the inventory station is for

Card Boy

Banned
Just played my third ever game, which for some reason always has only 2 or 3 people playing. Got the technician class - wanted to lay turrets...I cant lay turret?? What the heck is going on here...after we won then it says plus 1 turret...hmmm...I am totally confused what the inventory station is for

When you get a technician you can't use turrets straight up you have to unlock them under the utility tab. The plus 1 turret message you saw is you leveling up the Utility slot and now you have turrets.

Press escape>Classes>Techician and select a weapon or armor slot to see how progression on a weapon.

Jezabel

Wow. Played this at a Mates for the first time
Today, absolutely amazing! Can't wait to get my new laptop next week and download it.

Card Boy

Banned
Just a heads up game is going to appear very soon on Steam as it just popped up in the registry. They added the Tribes Starter bundle to the registry aswell which i assume is that 1600 gold pack.

Gaspode_T

I should mention that I was capping against the opposing team with a technician and myself versus 2 others LOL, they seemed to not know what they were doing, one guy just took a vehicle in my base and was waiting for me there to come repair the generator and I just ignored him, the other guy kept trying to chase my while I am skiing on a grav cycle which didnt go very well for him.

I am not sure what the weapon I was using with technician was but it seemed kind of crappy like a plasma rifle. I miss Tribes 1, sigh ... this seemed pretty fun though

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why is Tribes awesome? Because my dogfights with shrikes are just me as a PTH vs Their shrike.

*Cues Ace Combat Music*

Taxman

I've been playing this game since December and had a great time, but I've uninstalled it today and I don't think I'll be playing it again for a good while. I'm sooooo sick of fractal spam, and then they go and make ones that last even longer. It's all anybody does anymore. They're the worst thing about this game.

Card Boy

Banned
I've been playing this game since December and had a great time, but I've uninstalled it today and I don't think I'll be playing it again for a good while. I'm sooooo sick of fractal spam, and then they go and make ones that last even longer. It's all anybody does anymore. They're the worst thing about this game.

Yeah its pretty ridiculous. They are in dire need of a nerf especially in Radius, they have too much synergy with Safety Third (10%+10%+5%+5% = 30% extra radius). I think they should straight up replace the radius to something else.

This is just an example.

Upgrades

Upgrade 1: +1 ammo.
Upgrade 2: +1 second duration
Upgrade 3: +20% damage vs armored targets.

A shame you can't gift the items in your account to me lol.

Gaspode_T

I would probably play the heck out of this if I could consistently find games that were more than 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3...why are servers so empty? Diablo effect? Is there a way to pick a server manually?

moojito

I would probably play the heck out of this if I could consistently find games that were more than 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3...why are servers so empty? Diablo effect? Is there a way to pick a server manually?

I guess if your ping is ok you could try the EU servers. I've never failed to find a full server in a while now.

Card Boy

Banned
Mini-patch went up. All i noticed is some more reduced weapon prices. No more 100K weapons.

-Phase Rifle now is 88K (was 100K)
-Jackal is 88K (was 100K)
-X1 LMG is 88K (was 100K)

I assume some other 100K stuff is slightly cheaper but can't see due to having bought them.

nan0

Mini-patch went up. All i noticed is some more reduced weapon prices. No more 100K weapons.

-Phase Rifle now is 88K (was 100K)
-Jackal is 88K (was 100K)
-X1 LMG is 88K (was 100K)

I assume some other 100K stuff is slightly cheaper but can't see due to having bought them.

Yep, Falcon is also cheaper. Seems to apply to all 100k weapons.

Jubbly

If you're new to the game courtesy of the Steam release, the bundle pack on sale is great value (~$35 of stuff for ~$10, plus +50% bonus XP for life).

Fonz72

Played this for the first time last night. SOOOOOO good! I can see myself putting many hours into this game. Will be buying the starter pack on Steam.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I hope they put the Stonehenge map on public servers soon. CTF needs something new to spice things up.

Played Stonehenge on a custom the other day and I didn't really like it. Something very... I dunno, plain? About it. Just not a lot going on.

Top Bottom