• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Decreased starting AOE range on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.
Decreased damage on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.
Reduced duration of Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 1s.

As someone who plays HoF ~30% of the time, this is my favourite change in the patch, as there is literally nothing you can do against a brute that crashes the stand and chucks all his fractals on it(seemingly the only thing 90% of brute players do), making it indefensible for the duration of the grenade.

Card Boy

Banned
As someone who plays HoF ~30% of the time this is my favourite change in the patch, as there is literally nothing you can do against a brute that crashes the stand and chucks all his fractals on it(seemingly the only thing 90% of brute players do), making it indefensible for the duration of the grenade.

I feel the changes are still not enough. Needs more damage reduction, maybe at 20%.

derFeef

Fractal Grenade nerf? I can play again without trying to eat my keyboard every 10 seconds? GREAT!

edit: wait... that's not enough, yeah :/

edit2: oh I had a question - someone gifted me the Tribes pack on Steam during the sale without knowing I already have a VIP package. How can I add my Steam stuff to my account? If at all?

Card Boy

Banned
Couldn't resist that all skins bundle. At first i thought it had only the 3 new skins for 1800 gold but it includes the 2 Infiltrator and 2 Raider skins aswell.

edit2: oh I had a question - someone gifted me the Tribes pack on Steam during the sale without knowing I already have a VIP package. How can I add my Steam stuff to my account? If at all?

Download the game from Steam, redeem the starter pack and login with your current account after launching through Steam. It will add the 800 gold and whatever unlocks you're missing to your account.

There's also a way to migrate your existing Tribes installation into Steam. I think it involves starting the download on Steam, pausing it, copying over the installation directory from your present install, and then resuming the Steam download to let it verify whatever additional files need to downloaded. I'm not 100% sure about this, maybe someone else could guide you. And if you don't have download caps or anything, it's just easier to uninstall your game and reinstall fresh through Steam.

Card Boy

Banned
The sentinel skin is really cool. The skin is transparent and if you are against a backdrop you blend with it. He also has green jetpack/ski thrusters.

I made compressed screenshots to avoid clogging up bandwidth for people

RDpJU.jpg

b9fKO.jpg

Theses acouple of the meelee animations for the Pathfinder skin and Bruth

Pathfinder. Is pretty much an Asian Adam Jensen.
DEQcI.jpg

zABHY.jpg

RZ5Qj.jpg

Brutes melee animation.
kS9oY.jpg

Both have a Sonic Punch type animation.

Also the Brute has red armour even on the Diamond Sword side. So it may be confusing in custom matches where the Red and Blue arrows could be disabled.

Karakand

Hi Rez: We added a new map to CTF rotation in this update.

Me: [VGW]

*waits all day to try it out, plays for 2 hours late that night and never gets the new map on rotation*

Me: [VGS]

Hi Rez: [VGTA]

Hi Rez: [VGTG]

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
New patch and new toys and plays going around.

Basically the Nitron nerf killed most crappy flag runners with poor routes. Doesn't really affect me, but I was never that fast either. Though it does hurt my quick directional shifts and using Nitron's dodge killing blows. In the end, a decent route with explosive nitron and disc jumping works as good.

Happy to see more of the auto weapons get nerfed, in general would like to see them get whacked down further. Specifically the XMG and Falcon.

Rifle on the Pathfinder is pretty good now. I think this is where I'd like most auto weaponry to be. More difficult to aim and less spread.

Twinfusors, pure dueling/TDM weapons. The boost you get from them sucks in CTF. So its much better to stick with Bow or Standard. But I was doing pretty well with kills with them. Less power and spread, but once you get use to the kick. You can basically one shot the light classes and it causes more disruption to the attack.

elfinke

What the hell happened to just clicking on 'find me a CTF game in my region'? I can only seemingly browse custom servers now (which are nearly all empty), or am I blind tonight?

/edit: blurgh, got me beat. Just rebooted and right there were the old options.

teepo

so, is there some special box i have unchecked which isn't allowing me to join a server which has the new maps from both this patch and the last on rotation because after 17 hours of play during the last two weeks, i have yet to step foot on a single one of them.

reektann

so, is there some special box i have unchecked which isn't allowing me to join a server which has the new maps from both this patch and the last on rotation because after 17 hours of play during the last two weeks, i have yet to step foot on a single one of them.

There is only one in the live rotation - the other two are on custom servers only right now.

ZoddGutts

Haha that ain't it. Going over 300 which I can do, still gets you killed. Still sucks when your team does nothing about the sniper and worse when do nothing about clearing their flag stand. Sucks to be a pathfinder.

Zeliard

Haha that ain't it. Going over 300 which I can do, still gets you killed.

Okay? Again, that's the whole purpose of the Sentinel. He is the last line of defense. If he's a particularly strong sniper and harassing your Path effectively, then send light offense after him.

Zeliard

Which button sends light offense after him?

Uh, you tell your team to go harass the sniper that is keeping the capper from capping. Truly a difficult concept. If your team is idiotic and doesn't oblige, that's on your team, not on the class balance, and it's a natural consequence of pubs. I don't see how "nerf sniper because my random pub team is stupid" makes any sort of sense. This is the reason PUGs exist.

The fact that chasing is even more worthless now post-patch means the sniper is even more valuable.

derFeef

Download the game from Steam, redeem the starter pack and login with your current account after launching through Steam. It will add the 800 gold and whatever unlocks you're missing to your account.

There's also a way to migrate your existing Tribes installation into Steam. I think it involves starting the download on Steam, pausing it, copying over the installation directory from your present install, and then resuming the Steam download to let it verify whatever additional files need to downloaded. I'm not 100% sure about this, maybe someone else could guide you. And if you don't have download caps or anything, it's just easier to uninstall your game and reinstall fresh through Steam.

I have no idea how to redeem that stuff, I did not get any code from Steam.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sents should not have Falcon. Its far too effective for what a secondary on a light class should be. The sniping on the other hand is not a problem at all. Its completely fair and its exactly what they are supposed to do. The two best defenses in this game are either having the other team's flag or a good sniper. Chasing is hard shit and a flag defense is easy to remove(I can get a tank and destroy it from one base to another on most of the maps). Therefore you need a sniper.

I've taken a lot of hate in this game by being good with the tank and harassing snipers. I am that Inf who goes over to the other team's base and starts to hunt down the snipers for the game if they are a problem. And guess what, it works and it helps your team tremendously. Even if you don't kill them. Having them know there is always an inf on their ass drops their play. As long as you have a decent runner or two. They'll start to get those flags. I use a tank for it too. I can clear their defense and show snipers how to snipe, with a tank shell :p.

2nd, even if you're route is 300. How are you getting to 300? Since the changes, I've been seeing so many bad PTHs. Largely because the Nitron boost was covering up poor routes. So they are going in there with 200hp to get a flag. Yeah they are going 300. Yea, my Inf can one shot their ass now with a pistol.

Switch up your routes too. Try to take a more hidden route and don't go to high. Bee line it. The risks are that it is easier for chasers then, but harder for snipers.

Taffer

The starter pack appears as DLC for the Steam version of the game, you shouldn't have to redeem anything, just launch the game through Steam and login to Tribes with your existing Tribes account.

nan0

2nd, even if you're route is 300. How are you getting to 300? Since the changes, I've been seeing so many bad PTHs. Largely because the Nitron boost was covering up poor routes. So they are going in there with 200hp to get a flag. Yeah they are going 300. Yea, my Inf can one shot their ass now with a pistol.

Explosive Nitrons are the way to go now. Though I don't notice any difference in disc jumping, especially on medium and heavy classes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Explosive Nitrons are the way to go now. Though I don't notice any difference in disc jumping, especially on medium and heavy classes.

Two Explosive Nitros + Disc and a good route is the same exact result as two Nitros and a disc as before. But you can't do all three at once anymore. Explosive take off about an additional 200-250 hp.

So yea, been using them myself. Heh. Rather just kill the flag carry now then force a fumble and use underpowered nitros.

If you bought the Starter pack from Steam, it should show up as DLC for the game when you check it's properties. After that, you just need to login to your current Tribes account after launching the game from Steam. The extra gold and unlocks will be added to your account.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
decided to actually try capturing the flag rather than playing defense/sitting on the stand all day and man is that first cap a rush...

someone hand me a towel, i'm all sweaty.

Raide

Clan/Guild support in this? If so, is there a GAF one up?

Going to jump into this now I have a decent GPU, will be interesting to see how I get on/get destroyed.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
decided to actually try capturing the flag rather than playing defense/sitting on the stand all day and man is that first cap a rush...

someone hand me a towel, i'm all sweaty.

Definitely agree with this. While I pretty much never play Pathfinder, I did make an e-grab as a Sentinel on Katabatic the other day and got out at ~250 and ended up capping it. The whole time my mind was going "holy shit. holy shit".

Clan/Guild support in this? If so, is there a GAF one up?

They added clan tags in the most recent patch, but I dunno if there's any sort of GAF team(probably not, considering how few people post in this thread).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Definitely agree with this. While I pretty much never play Pathfinder, I did make an e-grab as a Sentinel on Katabatic the other day and got out at ~250 and ended up capping it. The whole time my mind was going "holy shit. holy shit".

in my case it was the game winning cap and artillery started falling on the flag just as i came in. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

edit: im rockin' the GAF clan tag.

Picked this up today(downloaded it) just cuz of all the praise, even though I'm not really into shooters. It's pretty fun though! There is an awesome satisfaction to the skiing for sure.

AVclub

FUCK! 55K in one match? I get excited when I make 5K. Still I used to be a big fan of the original and I really like this one. I'm just really bothered by the whole nickle and diming for every little thing. I hate that I can't try all the classes and weapons to see which I like without spending either weeks playing it, or dozens of real dollars.

Vodh

FUCK! 55K in one match? I get excited when I make 5K. Still I used to be a big fan of the original and I really like this one. I'm just really bothered by the whole nickle and diming for every little thing. I hate that I can't try all the classes and weapons to see which I like without spending either weeks playing it, or dozens of real dollars.

You can try them out in the training mode, just pick whoever and then go to the loadout menu - when you click on a weapon, regardless of class, you automatically equip this weapon. And it's actually a feature, just a bit poorly implemented. I know it could have been better, but it's not that terrible either.

I'm a sucker and I bought about 8k points so far...

Zeliard

Awful lot of low level players in those games *whistles*

lawl

16 bp game had only two silvers + one on the verge of going gold, and I would have gotten even more if the server wasn't half-empty. :p

I didn't turn gold myself until around 3 weeks ago. I regularly rack up blue plates regardless of who's in the server since I hit a lot of flick shots that people can't really dodge.

Zeliard

My latest game, from last night:

tribesascend2012-07-3jnjlv.png

They're even easier to hit now post-patch. If you already had good MA aim before, you should be getting lots of blue plates regularly. Or it might be enough to let you hit double digits for the very first time :p

dot

My god... i can barely get 1 Blue Plate and you guys have 10+ constantly in every match... I need to practice more. ;_;

Top Bottom