• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes: Ascend |OT| SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! SHAZBOT! WHOOHOO! (Now officially out of beta)

Zeliard

The sniper rifle, pistols, and shotguns are hitscan, that's it.

However automatics, within a certain range, are so quick they might as well be. A few classes are especially abusive here. The best automatics are (in no real order) doombringer, juggernaut, raider, sniper, the others are all fairly "meh" still better than discs and nades, but they don't stand out. The techs is better than the soldiers by a good margin though

None of the full autos are really meh at all outside of the Soldier's original AR, and that's still a decent weapon. The Tech's SMG(s) is one of the most brutally effective weapons in the game and the Soldier's new Gast's Rifle is a direct upgrade over his previous underpowered AR, and combined with Quick Draw (+ new reload speed) and the Thumper DX has made the current Soldier a popular class and solid alternative to the Raider. The Inf's Rhino SMG - especially the Arctic variant - will also cut through a player like a knife through butter.

What's meh as far as bullet weapons is the Pathfinder's semi-auto LAR, which they've done screwed up even more.

I'm planning on getting this game, although I've never played Tribes. Gameplay looks pretty fast, but how are the controls? Also is CTF the only team based mode?

Nymerio

I think all the modes are team based. Controls are pretty standard fps: WASD for movement, left mouse to fire your weapon, right mouse to jump/activate jetpack. Spacebar to start skiing.

It's not hard, even my brother can play this and the last time he played a pc shooter was around the time UT99 and Tribes 2 were out.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Decided to look at how long it will take to hit rank 50.
Doing some napkin math, its going to take me about 725 hours to hit rank 50. So basically it will have to be me playing for an entire year+ more. Heh.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Another day. Been getting much better at Blue Plating since I started to practice it. I seem to rack up about 3 now a game. Some games more even(Top so far has been 7).

I did get into another match with Anarchy and he ended up with 11 compared to my 5... So I clearly have a long way to go. Though mine have been strictly with PTH.

Also started to play around with the Inf pistol since most of the matches have such a low level influx of players. Got called out by a player for hacking too while doing it. I think this is the first game since I was in High School(Maybe Unreal 2k4 or Socom), where I got called out for being too good :p

haikira

The Steam starter pack is 75% off today, on the daily deals. Seems like a good deal. Where i live, the starter pack now costs half of what 800 gold would in the game. Plus it has some class, weapon and perk unlocks.

ameratsu

Is there a way to use the starter pack without having tribes ascend on steam? I have the non-steam version already installed. Is there an unlock code or something I can enter, or do I need to have a steam version?

Unicorn

Is there a way to use the starter pack without having tribes ascend on steam? I have the non-steam version already installed. Is there an unlock code or something I can enter, or do I need to have a steam version?

Why not put it on Steam? You can create a folder in the Common root and drop the files you already have in there. Then validate caches in Steam and you're good to go.

Firehead

Bought the starter pack and am enjoying the game so far. I'm just lost as to what to purchase with the bonus gold. Should I unlock any classes or something?
And does anyone have any tips for the game?

Nymerio

First thing I'd unlock are the additional classes, but don't spend any gold on it, they're really cheap with the experience points. I still have almost all my gold and I just wait for some nice daily deal to popup.

nan0

Bought the starter pack and am enjoying the game so far. I'm just lost as to what to purchase with the bonus gold. Should I unlock any classes or something?
And does anyone have any tips for the game?

I would only spend gold on Daily Deals with at least -60% discount. Most of the other stuff, especially classes are rather cheap to unlock (save for new and expensive weapons). Try to at least win a game daily, it gives you 1200XP bonus which resets at 10 GMT (?).

Some common newbie errors:

Don't play capture the flag as Team Deathmatch, if you want to kill stuff, either help defending your flag or clear the enemy flagstand. Generator is only the second priority over capping and defending.

If your flag gets dropped in a save spot, do not return it. Usually more advanced players will bounce around the flag with their explosive weapons, which is a good indicator for that. It is much harder for the enemy to get the flag in an obstructive spot. But if one of your guys is close to capping with the enemy flag, return it, but do so close to his arrival at the flag stand.

Spend your credits. They expire after a round anyway and do not impact XP. Upgrade stuff, call in inventory stations for your defenders, save a tactical strike to emergency kill an enemy flag carrier.

Don't llama grab, leave taking the flag to Pathfinders. If you want to try it, make sure you go as fast as possible (>150 KM/h) and have a route planned out. If you can avert an imminent enemy cap, you can take the flag and try to flee ("E-Grab") if no other/faster player is incoming.

Salsa

I wish there was more people from my region playing. Can only get decent ping in matches with 6 or 8 people :(

anyway, loving it. I love love love Tribes 1 and 2 but hate the f2p model so when this was announced I just frowned and asumed Tribes was dead (specially after the failed attempt at a revival), boy was I wrong. I still dont like some aspects of the model, but really enjoying my time with it.

Salsa

oh also: no way to force proper AA right? read it gave some issues on Nvidia cards..

using the SMAA injector but it aint really cutting it

Card Boy

Banned
oh also: no way to force proper AA right? read it gave some issues on Nvidia cards..

using the SMAA injector but it aint really cutting it

It's an Unreal Engine 3 game so it doesn't have native AA. I'm not sure about Nvidia cards, but you can always give it a try.

Uncle AJ

I feel like I'm missing something obvious with sniping as a Sentinel. A fully charged shot does 225 damage? That seems pitifully low and not an appropriate reward for the amount of effort it takes to land a hit.

So I just fired this up for this first time in a couple of months. What's with all the leveling changes? After a match or two I kept getting updates about new item unlocks without purchasing anything. Did they change things around with unlocking?

Still such a fun game though, I'm low level but I rather enjoy playing HoF with Doombringer, at least until the Orbital Strike spam starts up near the end game.

nillapuddin

So I just fired this up for this first time in a couple of months. What's with all the leveling changes? After a match or two I kept getting updates about new item unlocks without purchasing anything. Did they change things around with unlocking?

Still such a fun game though, I'm low level but I rather enjoy playing HoF with Doombringer, at least until the Orbital Strike spam starts up near the end game.

Now your experience goes towards your weapon upgrades instead of exclusively buying them all

or you can pay out 15k to instantly master any weapon/item

i wish they had this system back in the day, I would have saved alot of money trying out classes I didnt stick with

Card Boy

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something obvious with sniping as a Sentinel. A fully charged shot does 225 damage? That seems pitifully low and not an appropriate reward for the amount of effort it takes to land a hit.

A fully charged shot is like 520ish damage with both plasma and the normal rifle, unless your shooting from your base to the enemies base as it has fall off damage, hence why you would do less damage.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Matchmaking changes, Oh Boy.

Basically high level players get high level players now. Its been much better skill-wise, though its pretty obnoxious at the amount of snipers in the games now. With each team stacking 2-3. Showing off how poorly balanced certain parts are. But its actually great to get into games where you have to chase, go fast, etc. Rather than 2-3 players on each team doing all the carrying.

Not to inherently say teamwork is better either. But I'm now up against people who can Blue Plate, chase without just relying on random bullet spam, etc. So I have to go through the Rocky Montage to get back up to par after months of weak competition outside the occasional player or two. Basically, there hasn't really been a game I played in months that required me to go 300+ constantly, like there is now.

Hard as shit to chase though since nearly every player can one jump clear it. Making camping the other flag base more common. That is the downside. So you end up with a lot of base switching.

Zeliard

New matchmaking is so awesome. CTF Pubs are now fun. Far fewer people playing capture the gen, actual roles are being filled, llama grabs are kept to a minimum, and people are actually able to use voice commands like VFS that others actually listen to.

It also has the side benefit of sometimes keeping teams on each side smaller since there are less high-ranks out there. I still played quite a few 16v16s, but also some 10v10s and less that were quite enjoyable. The funny thing is that even in those 10v10s, servers still seem more full than your typical 16v16 since you don't have half the team on each side sitting in the gen room.

Tweak should ease newer players more effectively as well. I think the new matchmaking mostly just affects CTF, where it was most necessary since that requires the most coordination.

Also new upcoming patch is quite intriguing. From Hi-Rez Stew:

The next patch is tentatively scheduled to be released sometime next week. We are close to locking the release, but it is possible that some things could fall out, or that the patch could be delayed, based on our testing. We could also decide from testing to change some items -- or abort them altogether. Or add some additional items.

You get the picture: Don't hold me to this.

That said, here are some of the things currently being considered for the patch.

Major Highlights

Three new weapons added: The Pathfinder’s Light Twinfusor, the Soldier’s Twinfusor and Juggernaut’s Heavy Twinfusor.

A new gametype, CTF Blitz, will be introduced for a limited time as a Special Event. In Blitz, the enemy flag base moves location each time your team scores, changing routes and requiring varied tactics to win. CTF Blitz is initially played on:
Arx Novena
Katabatic

Stonehenge has been added to the standard CTF map rotation.

A new CTF Map, Permafrost, has been added to the standard map rotation.

A new CTF Map, Dangerous Crossing, has been added to custom servers.

New Players joining the queue (under rank 6) will now play a smaller subset of maps more friendly
to learning the game. All maps will rotate for players rank 6 and over.

Players may now create a party of their friends before joining the Quick Match queues (Limit 4). You may still use the Join Friends functionality to join a player in a match in progress.

Access through the popout tab on the Play Now option.

The Leader may send invites to friends and others by name.

Members can chat together in and out of game, and are notified when the Leader joins or leaves a queue.

Members are removed from the party automatically if they leave the queue or game.

Three new skins have been added:
Pathfinder Freerunner
Brute Crusher
Sentinel Specter

Voicepacks are now available to purchase. Three are available, two female and one male.
Players may now add a Clan Tag in front of their player name. Tags may be purchased under the Store menu.

Some changes have been made to the underlying system for putting players into matches, and for matching players of similar levels.

Additional load out slots have been added.

News Items now display in the main game lobby as a ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Weapon/Balance Items

Three new weapons have been added: The Pathfinder’s Light Twinfusor, the Soldier’s Twinfusor and Juggernaut’s Heavy Twinfusor.

Increased self-knockback (“disk-jumping” or “rocket-jumping”) on all explosive projectile weapons by 20%.

Increased projectile collision size on all Spinfusors, Bolt Launchers, and Thumpers to 10 (as a reference, Plasma Guns are 35). This will make mid-airs and direct hits more forgiving.

Decreased the extra delay between bursts on Pathfinder’s LAR from 0.16s to 0.072s.

Increased damage by 8% on Doombringer’s Titan Launcher.

Increased radius on each explosion sequence of Brute’s Gladiator.

Increased damage 33% on final explosion sequence of Brute’s Gladiator.

Decreased starting AOE range on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.

Decreased damage on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.

Reduced duration of Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 1s.

Reduced damage on Infiltrator’s Jackal so it can no longer 1 shot an upgraded medium from
stealth. This is a 16% reduction.

Reduced knockback on Infiltrator’s Jackal by half for each explosion.

Increased starting ammo counts on Infiltrator’s Smoke Grenade and Prism Mine from 1 to 2.

Infiltrator now starts with all belt options having an ammo count of 2.

Reduced knockback from Pathfinder’s Impact Nitron and Compact Nitron’s by 23% to be more in line with the amount of damage being done, and to favor using the increased values on spinfusors
and other projectile weapons.

Reduced knockback from Raider’s White Out grenade, Grenade Launcher, Arx Buster and Dust
Devil to be more appropriate for the number of shots and amount of damage being done.

Reduced reload time on Doombringer’s Titan Launcher from 1.8 to 1.7.

Reduced reload time on Doombringer’s Heavy Bolt Launcher from 1.8 to 1.7.

Increased damage on Soldier's Proximity Grenade by 16%.

Reduced damage 4% on Doombringer's Chain Cannon.

Reduced damage 5% on Doombringer's Chaingun.

Reduced starting ammo from 280 to 200 and upgrades from 50 to 25 ammo (each) on
Doombringer’s Chaingun and Chain Cannon.

Reduced damage 5% on Technician’s Rockwind SMG.

Increased damage 14% on Doombringer's Defective Frag Grenade.

Increased damage 13% on Doombringer’s Frag Grenade.

The Close Combat perk’s backstab bonus has been increased to double damage, and is now the first unlock for the perk.

The Looter Perk has been increased to provide a base 50% ammo bonus, and upgrades to 100%.

The Sonic Punch Perk has had its shockwave distance increased by 23%.

The Stealthy Perk now reduces base sensor detection by 50%, upgraded to 90%, and the upgrade for turret targeting delay has been increased to 30%.

The Safefall perk now starts at 50% falling and splat damage reduction, and is upgraded to immunity from all falling and splat damage. In addition, its final unlock has been increased from 80% vehicle run over damage reduction to immunity from vehicle run over damage.

Additional Items

Fixed an issue where mines could be indestructible by AOE blasts if placed in certain places in various maps.
Flag model no longer shows in first-person spectate mode.
Spectators can now zoom in and out when viewing a vehicle.
Fixed an issue where the camera could look strange if spectating in first-person mode and the view target entered a vehicle.
Fixed an exploit where the Pathfinder’s Thrust Pack could have unlimited thrust energy.
Fixed an issue where shotguns would only reload one ammo when performing an inactive reload.
Fixed an issue where the sound on the Pathfinder’s Light Assault Rifle would cut out when firing repeatedly.
Fixed an issue where guns that deal multiple damage per shot, such as shotguns, properly display damage numbers when shooting objectives and vehicles. Before the fix, the numbers would draw on top of each other making it seem like there was only a single instance of damage.
In the VGS menu, the labels for “Turrets” and “Sensors” were swapped under the upgrade commands.
Fixed an issue where the detection radius of a Base Radar Sensor was not increasing as it upgrades.
Base XP is now earned on Custom Servers at all times. “Performance XP” is earned once 6 people join the server.
Several other miscellaneous bug fixes.

Tons of stuff in there. Jackal nerfed so it can no longer one-shot mediums, fractals nerfed all-around, LAR buffed, Soldier's proximity gren damage buffed (nice for Soldier stand D), Close Combat & Sonic Punch buffs (fun times with Inf), new CTF maps, some sort of early party system.

Buffed disc-jumps overall w/ nerfed impulses may do interesting things with chasing. Safe Fall tweaks look like it will have quite the effect - opening up new possible routes - and is also a kick in the balls to Shrikers. :p

One of the most intriguing things is the new Spinfusor variant combined with the bigger hitbox on midairs with it, bolts and thumpers. The Twinfusor apparently gives you two shots in each clip with a longer reload, and that plus the bigger hitbox should make fusors a bit more popular again and Blue Plates easier to attain for people who tend to struggle with them. And in the hands of anyone who can already Blue Plate well (cough), it's going to be a monster. Autos are still likely to remain kings, but hopefully this will at least mean more Spinfusor action in TDM and especially Arena.

The things I do find very questionable are the damage and clip nerfs on the DMB's Chaingun and Chain Cannon. As it stands, a Raider with good NJ5 aim can savage even a good DMB, so unless they also plan to nerf the NJ5, I'm wondering what they're thinking here. And players with good auto aim in general can be a nuissance to a DMB because heavies are so easy to hit.

Seems like the DMB nerf is mostly because of how obnoxious people use that class in TDM and Arena, but the game is generally balanced around CTF anyway, and in that mode it screws with things. As someone who can regularly chain out DMBs, I don't want that made any easier for me, heh.

nan0

The Jackal nerf is good, although I wish they underlined its defensive purposes and added a timer so it takes 2 secs or so to arm the explosives.

And lots of other changes, looking forward to the increased hitboxes and new Twinfusors and maps.

Card Boy

Banned
Excellent patch.

Pathfinder Freerunner
Brute Crusher
Sentinel Specter

yessssssssssssssssssss.gif.

Brute got robbed last time of it's skin

Base XP is now earned on Custom Servers at all times. “Performance XP” is earned once 6 people join the server.
Several other miscellaneous bug fixes.

Excellent.

nelson_haha2.jpg

Increased damage by 8% on Doombringer’s Titan Launcher.

0233_fm2x.gif

Zeliard

Yeah it's meant to go in tandem with the CG nerfs, I guess, but it's odd. The CG damage nerf is fairly trivial but the ammo nerf is potentially significant. A HoF will have to run to ammo stations more often to restock, which leaves the flag stand open, and that in turn also screws with the primary purpose of the Titan Launcher - smashing an incoming capper. Also just makes the DMB even more open to harassment, especially by Raider offense. Guess we'll see how it plays out.

Disappointing that there isn't a nerf to the quick fuse grens, like AOE. Those things are just silly.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DMBs deserve the nerf completely out of my spite for them. I don't care how easy they are to shoot down. Nothing sours a game for me more than a saber spamming DMB in the middle of the map.

RINGRINGRINGRINGRING

RINGRINGRINGRINGRING

Zeliard

lol yeah

I don't mind them too much though since they give newer, more tentative players a way to at least pretend to get involved. :p

Sabers are at least a lot less common since the addition of the Titan. Bronze players will use it a lot but in the higher ranks it's typically CG + Titan Launcher.

Minion101

Banned
I've never played tribes but this game has me hooked. It feels like a fresh take on shooters to me. The game feels complex but I believe it's worth learning. I tend to like setting up traps so I'm going with technician. Any other classes have abilities for enemies to walk into danger?

I've never played tribes but this game has me hooked. It feels like a fresh take on shooters to me. The game feels complex but I believe it's worth learning. I tend to like setting up traps so I'm going with technician. Any other classes have abilities for enemies to walk into danger?

Sentinels have claymores. Doombringers have mines. Both can be very useful if set up at chokepoints or on the flag. Infiltrators have prism mines but I don't think they're very good.

nan0

Sentinels have claymores. Doombringers have mines. Both can be very useful if set up at chokepoints or on the flag. Infiltrators have prism mines but I don't think they're very good.

Prism mines are as good as the others, but they're kinda expensive and are in the same slot the sticky grenades, which are invaluable in the offense. Doombringers mines are a no-brainer if you do HoF and Claymores are stock equipment for the SEN, thats why you rarely see the prism mines.

Prism mines are as good as the others, but they're kinda expensive and are in the same slot the sticky grenades, which are invaluable in the offense. Doombringers mines are a no-brainer if you do HoF and Claymores are stock equipment for the SEN, thats why you rarely see the prism mines.

Yea stickies are just way more useful to an infiltrator. Not to mention the prism mines have long green lines sticking out of them just in case any enemy didn't spot them normally :p I would imagine it's rare to see a successful prism detonation.

Risgroo

Just tried this for the first time, hooly shiit. I love how fast everythingis, and how satisfying it is to get a sweet kill. Haven't had this much fun with a shooter in a long time.

moojito

Since the matchmaking patch I've seen a lot of times where I've been put into a server with like 4 people. If I leave and try to join another one, it puts me right back in. I don't think that's going to end well if everyone is getting the same.

I'm not seeing much change in the matchmaking. I'm level 18 now and I regularly see level 30s and level 8s in my games. I guess some people could be joining through friends but it's a bit too common to notice any effect of the new matchmaking system.

nan0

I'm not seeing much change in the matchmaking. I'm level 18 now and I regularly see level 30s and level 8s in my games. I guess some people could be joining through friends but it's a bit too common to notice any effect of the new matchmaking system.

Weird, but could be your rank. I'm 25 now and play mostly also with 25 and up and never with 20 and below. Maybe there are level requirements (20?) for the matchmaking groups.

That said, I think the changes were good. I almost never experience shutouts now and a lot of games end close with 5-4 or 5-3.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Just hit my personal record for exp in a single game. The game went nearly to the end of OT and I got the obsidian belt kill badge, would've been crazy if that was my first win of the day as well.

e6lWsl.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Get higher

Borman

It's a shame that the source code I had for the original Tribes was incomplete, wish it had all of the .h files so it would compile.

Card Boy

Banned
Paying for clan tags? Really?? Paying for name changes was bad enough.

Update: Confirmed Clan tags are either 40gold or 1500 exp. So basically 1 CTF match.

Decreased starting AOE range on Brute’s Fractal Grenade and Extended Fractal by 10%.

nelson_haha2.jpg

Needs to be said again

Top Bottom